Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Active Member One Ring
    AZ Member #

Spindle bolt seized and broke...

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    Took my car in to Independent shop for a front wheel bearing and installation of my new front shocks..Wheel Bearing was
    covered under my extended warrenty. So Out of pocket for installation of shocks, wheel bearing and wheel alignment.. $581.. Not bad.. While removing the spindle pinch bolt, it snaps.. (both driver and passenger side) On top of the price before he tacks on another $975. for new used spindles and front and rear upper control arms...Does this sound correct?? Think im getting screwed.I told him that the bolt snaps often and with heat and airtool your able to get bolt out.. He claims not possible. I told him not to touch anything yet..How should i presue this? He already sourced used spindles at $135. each and claims he can not return..

Veteran Member Four Rings rollerton's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    S6 Avant X TWO! and 67' Speed buggy
    Items for Sale

You're getting screwed. If they can't remove the pinch bolt THEY SHOULDN'T BE WORKING ON YOUR CAR. The fact that 99% of us can do it in our driveways with no special tools means they're doing something wrong.
    foley803 : What does an electrical surge sound like? Barking dogs? Watermelons?

Senior Member Two Rings mk2rimar's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Ad that same probleme last week.i work in a vw dealer and one side bolt was jamed the tech heated the knokle not the bolt...the knokle abd with a zip gun took out the bolt.i know that the knokle is made of aluminium and every body says its not good to heat them up but if you becarful and dont heat till it melts lol your find....good luck...and if they cant do it bring your ride to a true vw/audi antusiast tech or mechanic

Sent from my LG-P999 using Tapatalk 2

Veteran Member Four Rings lookaught's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    Aprilia SXV 550, BMW F800GS, Honda CRF450R, Toyota Tundra

I've drilled out the pinch bolts before without removing the spindle, it took about an hour and a few ruined drill bits to drill through 3 inches of steel. Buying new spindles is not necessary. If it came down to it you can remove the lower control arms with a ball joint separator (which he should own) and the shock tower and put the thing in a drill press which makes drilling out the bolts MUCH easier. If he bought new spindles he has to remove the old ones anyway.

IMO take it to a new shop. If they are seized in place you can drive it a few miles without worrying about it falling out because it wont. He should have known better and heated up the bolt first because its very prone to galvanic corrosion if you have aluminum spindles. Also if you are buying new upper control arms you can heat the hell out of the pinch bolt and not worry about melting the ball joint boots, so this means you don't have to take out the spindles at all. If the bolt sheared you can still put the nut on the other end and heat it, then tighten the nut and it will break it free. Heat is your friend.
    Jon

WTB 1.8t cylinder honing brush - PM me if you have one!

go > show

Ich liebe mein Audi!

2002 GTRS Avant - Built with love, sweat, bloody knuckles, and pride.

Senior Member Three Rings
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by lookaught View Post
    I've drilled out the pinch bolts before without removing the spindle, it took about an hour and a few ruined drill bits to drill through 3 inches of steel. Buying new spindles is not necessary. If it came down to it you can remove the lower control arms with a ball joint separator (which he should own) and the shock tower and put the thing in a drill press which makes drilling out the bolts MUCH easier. If he bought new spindles he has to remove the old ones anyway.

IMO take it to a new shop. If they are seized in place you can drive it a few miles without worrying about it falling out because it wont. He should have known better and heated up the bolt first because its very prone to galvanic corrosion if you have aluminum spindles. Also if you are buying new upper control arms you can heat the hell out of the pinch bolt and not worry about melting the ball joint boots, so this means you don't have to take out the spindles at all. If the bolt sheared you can still put the nut on the other end and heat it, then tighten the nut and it will break it free. Heat is your friend.
    Just to clarify, you want to apply heat to the knuckle and not the bolt, aluminum will take less heat and expand more then the bolt, if you heat the bolt it will expand casuing it to sieze even more. Mk2rimar is right even though he cant spell, lol.

Veteran Member Four Rings walky_talky20's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by shoppingcart111 View Post
    Mk2rimar is right even though he cant spell, lol.
    lol. This.
    ^Don't listen to this guy, he's not even a mechanic.
    2001 Laser Red A4 1.8TQM, 5-Speed Swapped, APR 93, Splitter, electronic oil pressure gauge, B6 Sport 17's, ST Coilovers,

"You need to know what you are doing...Its like a rainbow jungle in there." - Redline380

Veteran Member Four Rings Seerlah's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    Items for Sale

PM sent
    I hate it when my car acts like a little bitch, treating me like the bitch

Senior Member Two Rings mk2rimar's Avatar
    AZ Member #

sory i'm french canadian so i do my best....DONT heat the bolt or you will be in deep sh*&.....first time wee heated the bolt first it got stock in a way that it dosent move anymore...