Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Results 1 to 11 of 11
  1. #1
    Registered Member One Ring
    Join Date
    Apr 16 2012
    AZ Member #
    91949
    Location
    Lancaster, CA

    1998 A4 2.8 Quattro Automatic Tranny woes.....

    Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    I am in a position to inherit what I think is a good car, a 1998 Audi A4 2.8 Quattro. The Pros, car looks great, the CONS, pissing oil as it runs, bottom of engine is coated in oil, and the biggie, shifting into D or R, car does not move.... The car was taken to a local mechanic, and told the current owner, tranny is bad, and its 4K to fix it. The book value on the car is about that.... Car has 200k miles by the way, and the maintenance was less than adequate. I am looking for a project for the summer and think this might be a good one. I don't think the tranny is done, maybe a bad Torque Convertor, but no way 4K worth of repairs. What are the experts on the forums thoughts on this ride? Should i accept the car or not. I am farely mechanical, and can read a manual, not afraid to ask questions, and google anything. I am really hoping it is something very simple, and the mechanic was trying to pull a fast one....... thoughts please!!

  2. #2
    Senior Member Three Rings Lornnn's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 01 2011
    AZ Member #
    74868
    Location
    Wisconsin

    4k to replace tranny my ass.

    cost me $300 for a used tranny and $800 for the labor getting my tranny replaced on this exact model, year, engine, etc.
    ask around more, get firm quotes, propose cash, etc

    either way, i dont think the torque converter is a servicable part

  3. #3
    Senior Member Three Rings Lornnn's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 01 2011
    AZ Member #
    74868
    Location
    Wisconsin

    also i'd drop a hundred or so bucks and change the ATF and filter, just to remove any doubt that its something as simple as that

  4. #4
    Registered Member One Ring
    Join Date
    Apr 16 2012
    AZ Member #
    91949
    Location
    Lancaster, CA

    I appreciate the reply and with you... 4k???? I know there is substantial oil leaks so I was going to pull the tranny or motor or both... Which is easier? I saw online you pull the radiator support and go from there. I've done a lot of v8's and I worked on my c5 vette, so man built it, man can fix it right???!!!

  5. #5
    Senior Member Three Rings Lornnn's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 01 2011
    AZ Member #
    74868
    Location
    Wisconsin

    i'd pull both, for sure. take the extra time and effort and get everything sorted. good luck

  6. #6
    Veteran Member Four Rings walky_talky20's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 30 2008
    AZ Member #
    30427
    Location
    Erie, Pennsylvania

    Seems like this car needs a 5-speed swap, probably a t-belt + water pump job, and some Valve cover gaskets. Excellent free car, I'd say. As long as you are very excited about doing some work yourself. If you're going to pay for labor, just wash and wax it, sell it on Craigslist, and get a Corolla.

    My official suggestion is to forget the slushbox and just 5-speed swap this pig like it's your job.
    ^Don't listen to this guy, he's not even a mechanic.
    2001 Laser Red A4 1.8TQM, 5-Speed Swapped, APR 93, Splitter, electronic oil pressure gauge, B6 Sport 17's, ST Coilovers,

    "You need to know what you are doing...Its like a rainbow jungle in there." - Redline380

  7. #7
    Senior Member Four Rings Nollywood's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 03 2011
    AZ Member #
    83391
    My Garage
    '05 Audi A8 4.2 Quattro Sport, '95 Audi A4 Quattro Sport 4.2 V8 32V, '08 BMW 120d M-Sport
    Location
    Aso Rock!

    Quote Originally Posted by Lornnn View Post
    4k to replace tranny my ass.

    cost me $300 for a used tranny and $800 for the labor getting my tranny replaced on this exact model, year, engine, etc.
    ask around more, get firm quotes, propose cash, etc
    A used trans, yeah. But not a new one. The ZF trans is not the most reliable, and over here, a shop would seriously hesitate to fit a used trans to a paying client's car.
    2005 Audi A8 Quattro Sport 4.2 V8 40V (BFM), Ebony Black Pearl, Cream Leather, Lots Of Toys.
    1995 Audi A4 Quattro 4,2 V8 32V (AHC) 6MT, S8-Powered DTM Race Car.
    2003 Toyota Hilux 4x4 Truck 2.5 I4 16V Turbo Diesel (2KD-FTV) Single Cabin - Lexus LS430 V8 Swap

  8. #8
    Registered Member One Ring
    Join Date
    Apr 16 2012
    AZ Member #
    91949
    Location
    Lancaster, CA

    Quote Originally Posted by walky_talky20 View Post
    Seems like this car needs a 5-speed swap, probably a t-belt + water pump job, and some Valve cover gaskets. Excellent free car, I'd say. As long as you are very excited about doing some work yourself. If you're going to pay for labor, just wash and wax it, sell it on Craigslist, and get a Corolla.

    My official suggestion is to forget the slushbox and just 5-speed swap this pig like it's your job.
    I love the idea of making it a stick as opposed to the slushbox. First step is to get the car, and find a home for it. I wish I had a toy room like you had when you did your swap.... Gotta move the boat out of the way, and make room for this project!! More to follow. Question when you do a swap like this, what does the computer think when auto is gone, and the 5speed is in place? Also I guess I am in the market for all the parts needed for this, so if anyone has anything they are interested in selling, let me know. Thank you.

  9. #9
    Senior Member Three Rings Lornnn's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 01 2011
    AZ Member #
    74868
    Location
    Wisconsin

    Quote Originally Posted by Nollywood View Post
    A used trans, yeah. But not a new one. The ZF trans is not the most reliable, and over here, a shop would seriously hesitate to fit a used trans to a paying client's car.
    not sure if i'd put a brand new trans into a car this old
    my first transmission lasted 168,000 miles.. let's see how far this used $300 one can go

  10. #10
    Veteran Member Four Rings walky_talky20's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 30 2008
    AZ Member #
    30427
    Location
    Erie, Pennsylvania

    Quote Originally Posted by henryweston157 View Post
    I love the idea of making it a stick as opposed to the slushbox. First step is to get the car, and find a home for it. I wish I had a toy room like you had when you did your swap.... Gotta move the boat out of the way, and make room for this project!! More to follow. Question when you do a swap like this, what does the computer think when auto is gone, and the 5speed is in place? Also I guess I am in the market for all the parts needed for this, so if anyone has anything they are interested in selling, let me know. Thank you.
    The computer also thinks a 5MT swap is a fantastic idea. Just ask him!

    But no, there are no "computer issues". It is a very simple "recode" that takes an entire 30 seconds to complete. It turns your "auto ecu" into a "manual ecu" instantly. After that, you just unplug the transmission computer (the recoded ecu no longer cares to talk to it). The final step is to recode the instrument cluster so it doesn't show the PRND432 display. This is a case where Audi has made the electronics so advanced that it is actually makes it *easier* to swap.

    This was actually the main reaction I got from the locals when I did my swap (I live in a low-budget area where there are few Audi's and fewer Audi mechanics). Everyone was like "You can do that?!", and I say "yes". And then they ask "But what about the COMPUTERS!? It's an Audi, doesn't it have like a THOUSAND computers? And what about all the WIRES? It's going to impossible to make that work!". (I'm paraphrasing here, and adding emphasis where comical). But in reality, that was the *easiest* part of the swap BY FAR. There are literally zero codes caused by the swap. The only wiring to do is for reverse lights and cruise control, and I made a separate DIY guide for each.
    ^Don't listen to this guy, he's not even a mechanic.
    2001 Laser Red A4 1.8TQM, 5-Speed Swapped, APR 93, Splitter, electronic oil pressure gauge, B6 Sport 17's, ST Coilovers,

    "You need to know what you are doing...Its like a rainbow jungle in there." - Redline380

  11. #11
    Registered Member One Ring
    Join Date
    Apr 16 2012
    AZ Member #
    91949
    Location
    Lancaster, CA

    Walky.... mine is a 2.8 Quattro...any issues there? I have called over Southern California and so far only found one 5spd, guy wants 1000.00 for complete package to do the swap. He is about 50 miles from me. What do you think? Is that a fair price? I am so ready to get started, but want to make sure I know what I am getting in to first. The car should be in my possession by this weekend. Maybe I can fly you to Cali to help me!!!!



Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


    © 2001-2014 Audizine, Audizine.com, and Driverzines.com
    Audizine is an independently owned and operated automotive enthusiast community and news website.
    Audi and the Audi logo(s) are copyright/trademark Audi AG. Audizine is not endorsed by or affiliated with Audi AG.