Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Senior Member Four Rings jaychen's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    Items for Sale

RS4/S4 B5 cluster for Audi A4 B5

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    Guys,

My brothers cluster in his A4 B5 facelift has done its day. He is looking at an RS4 cluster form Germany but doesn't know if it will fit it.

The code on his cluster is:
    8D0 920 930H
    AU2720X1323607 Vers NRD11 090200
    VDO 110.008.942/009

The code on the RS4 cluster is:

8D0920933
    110.080.080/003

Can anyone shed some light on how to determine if the RS4 cluster will WORK in his car.. we know the connectors are physically the same (eg both facelift).
    Cheers
    where we're going, we don't need roads.

Senior Member Four Rings Nollywood's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    '05 Audi A8 4.2 Quattro Sport, '95 Audi A4 Quattro Sport 4.2 V8 32V, '08 BMW 120d M-Sport

If your brother's car is of similar age, then it will fit, and physically connect up. It will require coding though, more so if your brother's car is a 1,8T (different tacho pulses between V6 and I4). It will also require coding for country version, and metric to imperial (kp/h to mph, L/100KM to MPG.

B5 destined for Canada and North America were not fitted with immobiliser, so that's one less issue to worry about on late facelift cars, whereby the IMMO processor is built into the B5 RS4 cluster.
    2005 Audi A8 Quattro Sport 4.2 V8 40V (BFM), Ebony Black Pearl, Cream Leather, Lots Of Toys.
    1995 Audi A4 Quattro 4,2 V8 32V (AHC) 6MT, S8-Powered DTM Race Car.
    2003 Toyota Hilux 4x4 Truck 2.5 I4 16V Turbo Diesel (2KD-FTV) Single Cabin - Lexus LS430 V8 Swap

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    '05 Audi A8 4.2 Quattro Sport, '95 Audi A4 Quattro Sport 4.2 V8 32V, '08 BMW 120d M-Sport

Oops! Just noticed your're in Australia, and I would presume the same applies to your brother's car, it will have the immobilliser built into the instrument cluster, which will make things that much more tricky.
    2005 Audi A8 Quattro Sport 4.2 V8 40V (BFM), Ebony Black Pearl, Cream Leather, Lots Of Toys.
    2003 Toyota Hilux 4x4 Truck 2.5 I4 16V Turbo Diesel (2KD-FTV) Single Cabin - Lexus LS430 V8 Swap

AZ Member #
    Items for Sale

Quote Originally Posted by Nollywood View Post
    If your brother's car is of similar age, then it will fit, and physically connect up. It will require coding though, more so if your brother's car is a 1,8T (different tacho pulses between V6 and I4). It will also require coding for country version, and metric to imperial (kp/h to mph, L/100KM to MPG.

B5 destined for Canada and North America were not fitted with immobiliser, so that's one less issue to worry about on late facelift cars, whereby the IMMO processor is built into the B5 RS4 cluster.

The cluster is from Germany and is in KM/hr already, as well as having all the measurements in metric.

I was aware of the necessity to reprogram to eeprom to change the pulse for the tacho, was just wondering what is required to do so..

kompressed..are you around?

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    '00 1.8TQMS

Have a play with VAGCOM since you need to do re-program the immo - there are some steps on ross-tech website.
    I'm 99.9% sure your bro's (and ours with digital clocks) all have immo2 whereas RS4s have immo3.

It's easy to go from immo3->2 whereas coding between immo3 to immo3 is a pita (need more tools than vagcom).

Also what's up with the cluster? Is the immo eeprom unit dead or something? What you could probably do is buy a cheapie analogue clock cluster and identify if the eeprom is the same; desolder/solder then reprogram it to match the ECU/key. I'm pretty sure 98.5 + are immo2 (coincides with the time the DIS became an option on V6 2.7T & 2.8 models). Immo1 was a separate unit underneath the dash.
    00 A4 1.8TQ MT (AJL)

17*8 BBS RK | Vogtland GT 575F/675R | H-Sport Sways | 320mm B8 Brakes, 300mm rear |
    GT2871R Elim | QMS tuned AJL | 034 3" DP | Milltek | 034 TIP[bin] | JHM SSK
    3090lbs

AZ Member #
    My Garage

The IMMO chip is a small 8-pin unit. Transfer the one from the original cluster to the B5 RS4 board, and you're golden.

You'll need good soldering skills too - the 8-pin IMMO chip is surface-mounted, and the pins are very close together too. Take note of orientation whilst this swap is taking place!

AZ Member #
    Items for Sale

Quote Originally Posted by gmx View Post
    Have a play with VAGCOM since you need to do re-program the immo - there are some steps on ross-tech website.
    I'm 99.9% sure your bro's (and ours with digital clocks) all have immo2 whereas RS4s have immo3.

It's easy to go from immo3->2 whereas coding between immo3 to immo3 is a pita (need more tools than vagcom).

Also what's up with the cluster? Is the immo eeprom unit dead or something? What you could probably do is buy a cheapie analogue clock cluster and identify if the eeprom is the same; desolder/solder then reprogram it to match the ECU/key. I'm pretty sure 98.5 + are immo2 (coincides with the time the DIS became an option on V6 2.7T & 2.8 models). Immo1 was a separate unit underneath the dash.
    His cluster is showing dEF code (apparently it means its well and truly fuarked). We have had NO luck finding a facelift cluster (digi clock) in AUS. Even on eBay.de they are scarce.

Plus the temp gauge intermittently works now..

So a B5 RS4 is immo3? If that is the case, I know a local guy who said he can re-code the immo to work with my brothers keys/car.

Kind of sad he is willing to pay $$$ for an RS4 cluster, only to be selling the car soon.

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jaychen View Post
    His cluster is showing dEF code (apparently it means its well and truly fuarked). We have had NO luck finding a facelift cluster (digi clock) in AUS. Even on eBay.de they are scarce.

Plus the temp gauge intermittently works now..

So a B5 RS4 is immo3? If that is the case, I know a local guy who said he can re-code the immo to work with my brothers keys/car.

Kind of sad he is willing to pay $$$ for an RS4 cluster, only to be selling the car soon.
    There's a B5 facelift cluster on ebay.co.uk right here:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Audi-A4-B5...item27c46d4fbe

AZ Member #
    Items for Sale

There's a B5 facelift cluster on ebay.co.uk right here:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Audi-A4-B5...item27c46d4fbe
    It's in MPH mate.. He is not keen on that. Our clusters ONLY show KM/hr , unlike your's which show both?!

Anyone that knows a thing or two about B5's will know something was up..

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jaychen View Post
    It's in MPH mate.. He is not keen on that. Our clusters ONLY show KM/hr , unlike your's which show both?!

Anyone that knows a thing or two about B5's will know something was up..
    I'm aware it's in MPH. And I'm also very aware it's easy to replace the dials with the km/h scale from your brother's original unit. Then simply apply the AUS country code, and the digital odometer will switch to kilometres. Changing the country code will also switch consumption values from MPG to L/100KM.

I'm only trying to help. If you're creating issues where they don't exist, then good luck in your quest.

AZ Member #
    Items for Sale

I'm aware it's in MPH. And I'm also very aware it's easy to replace the dials with the km/h scale from your brother's original unit. Then simply apply the AUS country code, and the digital odometer will switch to kilometres. Changing the country code will also switch consumption values from MPG to L/100KM.

I'm only trying to help. If you're creating issues where they don't exist, then good luck in your quest.

I wasn't aware this was possible.

Thanks for your help mate, did not mean to be rude.. I do appreciate it.

I will tell him to snap it up then!

Cheers