Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Senior Member Four Rings FatalBert's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Denied coverage for sports diff leak because of TD1?

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    So I purchased my car last year and just noticed now that I have the sport diff leak.
    This is a known issue with 2011's (as you all probably already know).
    I haven't been to the dealer since December and my car is tuned.
    If I get flagged for TD1 do you think they will deny the coverage for repairing the leak because of the tune?

How bad is this leak or what can it cause if I leave it uncorrected?
    I've read the countless posts about it and could not find anyone answering that question, if it would actually cause damage if left unrepaired.

Veteran Member Four Rings Dr GP's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    Lexus RX 350/Mountaineer

I don't think they can legally deny you coverage for a known issue. Especially since a ECU tune would have no bearing on the problem. They can try to deny you but the laws are on your side.

Senior Member Three Rings KayS4's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Agreed they have to legally prove that it is because of your negliance that it is the reason or cause for what is going wrong. At least here in Canada you can push it that far or try to at least.

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by Dr GP View Post
    I don't think they can legally deny you coverage for a known issue. Especially since a ECU tune would have no bearing on the problem. They can try to deny you but the laws are on your side.
    Thanks for the reassurance :).
    I think I would much rather tune back to stock and potentially dodge a TD1 flag, than have to bring them to court though (even though I would probably win).
    I would like to wait for it to pan out and see if the flash back to stock actually works. In the meantime I am wondering if the car will be fine if leaving the leak unaddressed.
    It's been exactly one year (yesterday) that I have the car. Would a few more months make a difference?

Veteran Member Three Rings FourRingRider's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    911 Turbo

What is TD1?
    2010 Porsche 911 Turbo PDK Arctic Silver & Stone Grey
    2010 Lamborghini Gallardo LP560-4 Spyder Arancio Borealis & Black SOLD
    2013 Audi S6 Ibis White & Black SOLD

"Any car that merely takes you from A to B does not go far enough." - August Horch

Senior Member Four Rings phillips2024's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    rebuilt g35 tt

Quote Originally Posted by FourRingRider View Post
    What is TD1?
    i dunno. lets start a thread about it
    2011 Audi S4 | 2012 Audi Q7 | 2011 Triumph Daytona 675

2009 Audi Q7 For Sale
    74k miles|3.6|Phantom Black|Black Interior|Prem Plus Package
    PM For more Details

Established Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2012 Mini Cooper S

The sports diff leak is a known issue with a registered TSB that has been issued/registered so to speak with the NHTSC. Audi knows the issue is a result of a manufacturing defect which is why the TSB was issued. If they (Audi, your dealer) refuse to perform the TSB, follow these steps:

1) File a complaint with the BBB in your locale against both your dealer and Audi USA.
    2) File a complaint with the NHTSC stating you were refused coverage on your leaking sports diff.
    3) Send copies of both complaint to the owner and/or general manager of your local Audi dealership.
    4) IF you have the means, file suit in small claims court against both your dealer and Audi USA. YES, this would be a pain in the ass but you have rights. Audi has NO right to deny TSB coverage whether you have the TD1 designation or not. Just my opinion and .02. Good luck.
    Current: 2012 S4 Premium + in Glacier White metallic with Black leather/Alcantara.
    2012 Mini Cooper S in Chili Red.
    Past: 2006 A4, 2010 Porsche Cayman, 2010 Nissan 370z, 2010 TT, 2011 Q5, 2011 TTS, 2011 Mini Cooper JCW

Established Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by FatalBert View Post

How bad is this leak or what can it cause if I leave it uncorrected?
    I've read the countless posts about it and could not find anyone answering that question, if it would actually cause damage if left unrepaired.
    "How bad" the leak is depends on how much fluid you are losing. Is it seeping a bit just showing some dampness around the housing or are you getting stains/oil leaked onto the ground? I just replaced the gasket and fluid on my 72 Buick diff due to a slow leak.

The worst thing you can do is ignore or procrastinate. If the diff runs very low on fluid you could ruin the diff which would cause thousands in damage. An aftermarket LSD is $3k, not including gears or installation so you need to get it fixed.
    2010 S4, Black/Black w/silver, DSG

Supercharged badges, Black S4 Grill, BBS CH's, Stainless Steel Brake Lines

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    Buick 1987 t-type turbo, Ram 2014 5.7 Hemi

Audi may deny the repair because of the tune & their blanket statement that all powertrain warranty work is now null & void. If you can get flashed back to 100% stock & Audi doesn't detect the tune was ever there, they will certainly fix it. Let us know how this all plays out.
    2012 S4 6MT Ice Silver, MMI Nav, B&O Sound, Advanced Key, Rear Sensors, Carbon Inlays, 35% tint

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by Boostrules View Post
    Audi may deny the repair because of the tune & their blanket statement that all powertrain warranty work is now null & void. If you can get flashed back to 100% stock & Audi doesn't detect the tune was ever there, they will certainly fix it. Let us know how this all plays out.
    +1

Also consider is it worth the time and expense to fight Audi in court vs. re-flashing back to stock. If the tuner states the TD1 flag will not be triggered (if returned to stock) this would be my route. If my vehicle, I would not take a chance on the TD1 flag being associated to my car. This will hurt in-terms of future warranty work, trade-in or even private sale. Perhaps the tuner would only charge a small fee for the labor as the TD1 could negatively impact future business.

As a side note, one of my local dealers is also an authorized Stasis distributor. For now their policy is to not sell the ECU tune until there is further understanding from both companies.

Veteran Member Four Rings
    AZ Member #

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/pr...4&type=VEHICLE

Make / Models: Model/Build Years:
    AUDI / S4 2010-2011
    AUDI / S5 2010-2011
    Service Bulletin Number: TSB-42-11-09
    NHTSA Item Number: 10042394
    Summary:
    AUDI: VEHICLES WITH QUATTRO SPORTS REAR DIFFERENTIAL LEAKS AT THE REAR AXLE SHAFT SIDE FLANGE OR INBOARD FLANGE. MODELS S4, S5. *PE

However you are not entirely correct about Audi having to reimburse.

There are two types of motor vehicle recalls. The first is when a vehicle has a safety related defect as determined by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHSTA). This would be a Mandatory Recall. A Voluntary Recall is when the manufacturer recalls vehicles for a defect not necessarily related to safety. Any repairs made under a recall is paid for by the manufacturer.

A Technical Service Bulletin (TSB) is issued when a known problem or condition exists in a certain vehicle(s) and contains a repair for that problem. A TSB can also be issued to notify dealerships of diagnostic procedure changes, modified or improved parts or service manual revisions and updates.

TSBs are "Reimbursable within the provisions of the warranty". This means if the vehicle is within it's warranty period, repair as outlined by the TSB is paid for by the manufacturer. If the vehicle is out of warranty, the customer is responsible for the repairs.

Quote Originally Posted by sapsec View Post
    The sports diff leak is a known issue with a registered TSB that has been issued/registered so to speak with the NHTSC. Audi knows the issue is a result of a manufacturing defect which is why the TSB was issued. If they (Audi, your dealer) refuse to perform the TSB, follow these steps:

1) File a complaint with the BBB in your locale against both your dealer and Audi USA.
    2) File a complaint with the NHTSC stating you were refused coverage on your leaking sports diff.
    3) Send copies of both complaint to the owner and/or general manager of your local Audi dealership.
    4) IF you have the means, file suit in small claims court against both your dealer and Audi USA. YES, this would be a pain in the ass but you have rights. Audi has NO right to deny TSB coverage whether you have the TD1 designation or not. Just my opinion and .02. Good luck.
    Zerin Dube

Join the Texas Area Audi Owners group on Facebook

2010 Brilliant Red Audi S4 [6MT/Sport Diff/B&O/Nav/19s/APR 93 Tuned/Stratmosphere Hyperflow/Milltek Non-Res Exhaust & DP

2008 Imola Yellow Audi TT 3.2Q 6MT S-Line - GONE

Veteran Member Four Rings PsYkHoTiK's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by phillips2024 View Post
    i dunno. lets start a thread about it
    I lol'd...
    Current: 2013 Audi RS5 | Sepang Blue | NAV | Eurocode Alu Kreuz | 034 Transmission Mount | Apikol Diff Mount | H&R RSS+ | SPC Upper Control Arms

Old: 2011 Audi B8 S4 | Ice Silver | DSG | Sport Diff | APR 93 stage II+ V2

Senior Member Three Rings gringoloco2000's Avatar
    AZ Member #

For what it is worth, I have Audi Care and got my oil changed in February and I am Revo tuned. I then got work done on the sports diff/CV leak and the front brakes TSB. This was before TD1 hit the forums, so I don't know how useful this is. They also fixed a bad oil leak that tunred out to be a cracked oil filter housing. Before getting tuned I had the TSB for the squeeky clutch and they found issues with the clutch components so they replaced it all including the flywheel. They have treated me right at Classic Audi. I have always put the car in "stock" mode which would not prevent the scan from seeing the tune. Who knows if I am flagged. I will talk to my service advisor next time I am in.

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

I've had the same (positive) experience. Stasis tuned by the dealer at 5K. Just took it in for my AudiCare 15K with a short list of concerns, one of which was a leaking sport diff. They addressed everything and continue to keep me a very satisfied customer.

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by earle2 View Post
    I've had the same (positive) experience. Stasis tuned by the dealer at 5K. Just took it in for my AudiCare 15K with a short list of concerns, one of which was a leaking sport diff. They addressed everything and continue to keep me a very satisfied customer.
    How long did it take for them to perform the sport diff fix?
    Have you been flagged for TD1 and still got all that covered?

Veteran Member Four Rings apexit1's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    Items for Sale

Few weeks ago I took my tuned car in and mentioned I had noticed the leak. Replaced with no issues. Dealer had the car for 2 days and also did the 45k service.
    2010 S4 Ibis on Magma Prestige ADS Nav 6mt. Alucruz. KW Springs. 19" Rennen M10. APR tune. RocEuro intake. 034 Testpipes. Miltek res. exhaust. Stop Tech ST-60 355mm. few other goodies

Veteran Member Three Rings LYKUNO's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by apexit1 View Post
    Few weeks ago I took my tuned car in and mentioned I had noticed the leak. Replaced with no issues. Dealer had the car for 2 days and also did the 45k service.
    I thought that only the 2011 models had the diff leak issue. Perhaps I missed that 2010's also had the same problem?
    2011 S4 | Prestige | Jet Blue | Black/Silver Silk Nappa | S-Tronic | Sport Diff | Drive Select | Side Assist | Titanium | Carbon Fiber Inlays | HRE R40s (summer) BBS RGRs (winter)

Veteran Member Four Rings apexit1's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    Items for Sale

Thought so too, I noticed it and luckily had it fixed with no issues. From what i understand it's not a permanent fix. A few have had the leak come back after the fix.
    2010 S4 Ibis on Magma Prestige ADS Nav 6mt. Alucruz. KW Springs. 19" Rennen M10. APR tune. RocEuro intake. 034 Testpipes. Miltek res. exhaust. Stop Tech ST-60 355mm. few other goodies