Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Established Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Driver side mirror tilt in reverse?

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    Is there a way to have the driver mirror tilt when the car is reverse? The logical (put the side mirror knob on the driver mirror) does not make it tilt like it does for the passenger mirror.

Senior Member Three Rings 305Supercharged's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2014 Jeep SRT, 2014 Chevy Silverado 1500

I haven't heard of the driver side mirror tilting to be honest..I know the passenger does.
    2011 A6 3.0T Supercharged

Current: Car Custom Red Dip'd | APR 93 Octane | APR 3.0 TFSI Supercharger Pulley Upgrade | ST Coils | AR Street + StopTech SS Lines & Pads | Gloss Black Strasse Forged R-10's|
    Black'd out roof and rings | S6 Valance & Quad Tips | Custom Intake + Heat Shield

Future: tbd..

Established Member Two Rings vidalkiss5's Avatar
    AZ Member #

nah never heard of the driver tilt in an Audi, the only car I've seen this in was the acura mdx. It comes in super handy when the pass-tilts when parallel parking, but I have blind-spot mirrors on both so it helps me parallel park on my driver side, protects from curb rash :)
    2001 Audi A6 Quattro 2.7t Bi-turbo. Loaded.
    2006 BMW 530i [silver]
    2006 Nissan 350z Touring [blue]
    2004 Lexus IS300 [grey]
    2001 Lexus IS300 [forest green]
    2002 Audi A4 Quattro 1.8t [silver]

AZ Member #

Dang, in NYC it would be helpful. You can kind of use the backup camera but not as a nice as the mirror.

Veteran Member Three Rings provost89's Avatar
    AZ Member #

I just open the door.
    Previous Audis: 2003 A4 1.8TQM, 2004 S4 Modified & 2006 Audi A6 4.2 Modified

Current Car: 2013 Lexus GS350 F Sport

AZ Member #

That works too!

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    99 Audi A4 2.8 Quattro

not to treadjack, but my mirror switch is set for the right mirror, and when i put the car in reverse nothing happens? any ideas why or what do i have to do?

Veteran Member Three Rings JPJ2007's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Might not have the option? Is it a 2005-2010 A6?
    2006 A6 3.2L Quattro S-Line
    1998.5 A4 1.8T sport
    1998 BMW 544i 6speed sport
    92 BMW 325I, 5 speed
    87 325IS, 5 speed
    08 Chevy cobalt (Wifes)

Established Member Two Rings at1183's Avatar
    AZ Member #

New C7 doesn't do this either

All My Acuras, since 2006 had that option.. very handy when parking on One way streets, or against the curb in a shopping center
    [ 2012 A6 3.0T Prestige Glacier White Metallic LED Headlights | Cold Weather | 18" Sport Package | Brushed Aluminum | Black Headliner
    2010 Acura TL SH-AWD
    2009 Acura TL SH-AWD
    2008 Acura TL Type S
    2006 Acura TL
    2003 Acura CL Type S

AZ Member #

The mirror has a memorized preset for both driving and backing. To set the backing mirror position you have to put the mirror switch in the right hand position, put the car in reverse and then adjust the mirror tilt to the position you want when backing. Then put the car in drive and go forward above 6 mph. At that point the mirror should return to driving position. If it does not then you do not have this option.

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    99 Audi A4 2.8 Quattro

its an 05 a6. now im under the impression it does have the option, based on the manual, and option list for that car???

Veteran Member Three Rings MainlandMig's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by kmongru View Post
    not to treadjack, but my mirror switch is set for the right mirror, and when i put the car in reverse nothing happens? any ideas why or what do i have to do?
    i would guess u have that option... ManyAudis is right ...it will only activate if u select the right mirror with the mirror knob prior to putting into reverse... i always just leave my switch selected to the right mirror

Quote Originally Posted by ManyAudis View Post
    The mirror has a memorized preset for both driving and backing. To set the backing mirror position you have to put the mirror switch in the right hand position, put the car in reverse and then adjust the mirror tilt to the position you want when backing.

i didnt know the backing position was adjustable.. learn something everyday.. thanks! .. for the past 2 years i always wanted to bring it in a bit more

one more thing... if u interrupt the mirror .. say u quickly turn off the car before it reaches its position ... it might not auto return to the driving position at next start up and u will have to press the memory button on the door.... somewhat annoying

Senior Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2006 Audi A6 4.2L Quattro Sline

Try using the Ross-Tech's VCDS Vag Com.
    If you're will to play around and recoding the head module for the mirror you might be able.

Reason: About mid Feb I was looking for SW update CD's so I could install AMI. To make it short a guy from another guy pointed me a rim shop in Glendale Cali on brand street where they do SW and chipping (downside they don't have VCDS that works with my 06/A6/C6). Well one of the guys was messing around with the UK SW 55.7.0 on 09 A6 3.2 frontrak. Couple a things I notice that left headlight flare to left and not the right headlight as it should, the blicker did have a wink(led) and the driver side mirror did tilt down on reverse but not the passenger side. The guy did say that could the view the oil level on the MMI and one other thing did see 3D maps, but not really(it's more like Aerial view [N.A. 2011] but U.K [U.K 2012] did look 3D like bing maps, google maps).

So if the U.K. SW updates have all that then maybe we have some of those options.
    Maybe, if recoding the modules it's possible to have both mirrors tilt in reverse.
    Last edited by eazy211187; 04-19-2012 at 12:12 PM.

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    99 Audi A4 2.8 Quattro

[QUOTE=MainlandMig;7496120]i would guess u have that option... ManyAudis is right ...it will only activate if u select the right mirror with the mirror knob prior to putting into reverse... i always just leave my switch selected to the right mirror

yea mines always in the right position. hmm, what do i do change with vag-com?? Kinda weird, i would assume its a default thing???? I just want it to work! lol

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by kmongru View Post
    yea mines always in the right position. hmm, what do i do change with vag-com?? Kinda weird, i would assume its a default thing???? I just want it to work! lol
    So we are on the same page... the motor is not broken... U can manually move the mirror with the switch. And I assume you already know how to set driver preferences for when in drive.. Ie .. adjust mirrors, seats and steering wheel to drivers desired specs for when driving and press n hold 1 in memory buttons to set preferences.

Maybe somebody just doubled up on the mirror preset locations. Meaning maybe someone set their driving preferences accidentally while in reverse.

Let's try this ... Let's try to see if we can program a new position/location for the mirror for when u shift in reverse.

1- veh running
    2- foot firmly on brake *keep depressed until completing all steps and veh is returned to park
    3- shift to reverse
    4- wait a few seconds then manually adjust right mirror to desired position to be used when in reverse
    5- return Veh to drive
    6- Wait a few seconds and see if mirror returns to position set for driving.
    7- place Veh again to reverse
    8- wait a few seconds to see if mirror goes to newly created reverse memory location
    9- place Veh in park renove foot off brake and celebrate or continue with frustration.

If the above does not work then I assume VCDS should be able to fix this ... Maybe somehow the settings r just incorrect for this feature...again assuming your Veh was equipped w this option.

GL

Senior Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #
    My Garage

sschwar2 started the thread for Driver side mirror tilt in reverse? right?

Quote Originally Posted by MainlandMig View Post
    So we are on the same page... the motor is not broken... U can manually move the mirror with the switch. And I assume you already know how to set driver preferences for when in drive.. Ie .. adjust mirrors, seats and steering wheel to drivers desired specs for when driving and press n hold 1 in memory buttons to set preferences.

Maybe somebody just doubled up on the mirror preset locations. Meaning maybe someone set their driving preferences accidentally while in reverse.

Let's try this ... Let's try to see if we can program a new position/location for the mirror for when u shift in reverse.

1- veh running
    2- foot firmly on brake *keep depressed until completing all steps and veh is returned to park
    3- shift to reverse
    4- wait a few seconds then manually adjust right mirror to desired position to be used when in reverse
    5- return Veh to drive
    6- Wait a few seconds and see if mirror returns to position set for driving.
    7- place Veh again to reverse
    8- wait a few seconds to see if mirror goes to newly created reverse memory location
    9- place Veh in park renove foot off brake and celebrate or continue with frustration.

If the above does not work then I assume VCDS should be able to fix this ... Maybe somehow the settings r just incorrect for this feature...again assuming your Veh was equipped w this option.

GL

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by eazy211187 View Post
    sschwar2 started the thread for Driver side mirror tilt in reverse? right?
    yup... up top with the heading... its not deleted... still there for u or anyone to reply.. say someone has something to contribute

Senior Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #
    My Garage

I was looking into getting a back up camera, when I came across this site: http://blindspotmirrors.lanefx.com/ParkFX/
    There's your fix for the driver side mirror

Senior Member Three Rings Audiboy's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    Audis and stuff

old thread, but I'm sure it's an option or standard in right hand drive cars. Therefore there is a way either by coding or a module change.