Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Established Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

H2 related wheel question

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    Getting ready for a trip soon in my 2001 A6 2.7t, looked at my spare and it's flat. So I pull it out, and look inside the wheel and notice the marking for the size, and here's what I see

Everything I have ever read states that wheels with a 45 offset won't fit with h2 brakes - must be 35mm. So what's with this?
    Next I pull one of the front wheels to check (maybe the spare was switched at some point?) and it's the same. Brand new pads on the brakes - the clearance from the calipers isn't much, but they fit.

On the accessory build list the original wheels are listed as CC5 = Alloy wheels 7.5J x 18 So these being 16s, I'm assuming either the build list was wrong or someone changed them. Either way, does anyone know if the H2 in the marking designates them as specifically fitting over the H2 brakes? Does this mean any other OEM wheels with the H2 will also fit (for instance 8jx18h2et48 )? I need to get at least one new wheel for the spare 'cause it's pretty chewed up, but maybe I'll see if I can find a set of 17s or 18s that fit and use one of the 16s as the spare...

Thanks in advance,
    Jim

Senior Member Three Rings JediJoker7169's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by eejimm View Post
    Everything I have ever read states that wheels with a 45 offset won't fit with h2 brakes - must be 35mm.
    Surely you must mean HP2 calipers? In any case, in 2001, both the standard and Sport package wheels were 16" x 7" ET45. Why Audi chose to fit 16"s to the A6 when the B5 S4 got 17"s will always be a mystery to me. It's pretty obvious that they had to design the wheels specifically to clear the calipers at that diameter and offset (radically convex where the spokes meet the rim).
    Cheers!
    - JediJoker

"Das Boot" / 2001 Audi A6 2.7T quattro sedan:
    RS4 clutch kit / 710N diverter valves / Bilstein PSS9 coilovers / Hotchkis Sport anti-roll bars / 034 Density adjustable front upper control arms / 034 Track Density front shock mounts / O.Z. Superturismo LM 18" x 8" / Michelin Pilot Super Sport 235/40ZR18 / Hella E-code xenon headlights / LED tail lights (ATL-254-LED-CR-LT) / Facelift black rear license plate trim

Veteran Member Four Rings Vinchenzo51's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    S-Line A6

Like he said ^

Offset only plays 1 part in wheel/brake fitment. The style of wheel is another. The oem wheels are designed to fit over the HP2's.

On another note, the spare tire well in these cars is large enough to fit an 18" wheel with a 225/40/18 tire.
    04 2.7T S-Line A6 6MT
    (Progress Thread) <-Click
    (AZ Feature) <-Click

IG-> @moochr

WTB: 2.7T SMIC's - PM Me! (4/18/14)

Senior Member Three Rings JediJoker7169's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by Vinchenzo51 View Post
    On another note, the spare tire well in these cars is large enough to fit an 18" wheel with a 225/40/18 tire.
    Probably would fit a 235/40R18, even. I'll test fit one of my summers.
    Cheers!
    - JediJoker

"Das Boot" / 2001 Audi A6 2.7T quattro sedan:
    RS4 clutch kit / 710N diverter valves / Bilstein PSS9 coilovers / Hotchkis Sport anti-roll bars / 034 Density adjustable front upper control arms / 034 Track Density front shock mounts / O.Z. Superturismo LM 18" x 8" / Michelin Pilot Super Sport 235/40ZR18 / Hella E-code xenon headlights / LED tail lights (ATL-254-LED-CR-LT) / Facelift black rear license plate trim

Established Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Thanks for the replies -
    Yes should be HP2 - must have had H2 on the brain (or on the wheel...)
    I'm leaning toward using OEM wheels because every aftermarket wheel I see is either suspiciously badly built (cheap) or wildly expensive. I just don't feel like paying more for new wheels than I did for the whole car...
    I may investigate 17s, but I think 18s would look better and still ride OK (for me - I don't mind pretty stiff...)
    Jim