Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Registered Member One Ring
    AZ Member #

Hard shifting in audi a4 2004 1.8t quattro

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    I have an Audi a4 2004 1.8t quatrro
    I recieve some problems in tranny, when i put it in D the car slams like someone hit from behind and the car kicks shifting 2/3 and 4/5 i recieve no error code on the computer and i took it to audi for dig but they say the engine has multipal random missfire. however, my mechanic says that i need a new trany.

Has anyone have a clue what would be the problem and how to fix it.

thanks

Established Member Two Rings Protection's Avatar
    AZ Member #

You don't say how many miles are on your car. I have an 02 1.8 TQ with a tip, and around 60k miles I noticed that upshifts between 2 and 3 were becoming harsh. It did not happen all the time, only when outside temps were above 70 F and usually in stop-and-go traffic.

I drained the ATF fluid, changed the filter, cleaned the magnets, then filled up with new fluid and haven't had a harsh shift in the last 40k miles.

Although Audi claims the units are "sealed for life" and require no service, that is BS. I don't know if a fluid and filter change will cure your problem, but it is where I would start. Blauparts sells a kit that comes with everything including a hand pump and tube so you can get the new oil in. It is not hard to change, but you need VAG/Com or some other way to determine when the internal temp is 60C--you put in several quarts then start the car and put the selector in every gear for several seconds and continue to fill until the oil flows out of the fill hole at 60F.

Since the torque converter holds several quarts of fluid that will not drain when you remove the drain plug, you may want to change the fluid again in a week if the initial change fixes most of your problems but the shifting is still not perfect or I would do it anyway if your car has 100k on it.

Best of luck.