Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Active Member One Ring
    AZ Member #

Buying a 2012 A6 - what negotiations are possible?

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    Anyhow, I've finished my debate between the 2013 Lexus GS350 AWD and the 2012 Audi A6 Prestige, and decided on the Audi.

My question is: Is there any price negotiation that takes place on a new Audi? I've bought typical new cars before where I just say "I'll give you $500 over invoice, cash", but I'm not paying cash this time, I've been told Audi just doesn't really care if they make a sale or not, and it was a chore and a half just finding an Audi built the way I wanted because of low supply (be it intentionally created or due to high demand). Has anyone bought a 2012? Or just any brand new Audi in general? What was your experience? Is the price "the price", or should I be asking for some sort of lower cost based upon the knowledge that there's about $3,500 worth of margin built in?

And if not on the price of the car, what about extras? Things like extended warranty or the like? I know how fragile these things tend to be (owned an S4 years back), so I want the damn thing covered as long as possible.

What maneuvering do I have going into the dealership?
    Last edited by Quintious; 04-09-2012 at 03:49 PM. Reason: Line issues

Registered Member Four Rings Rodmar's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    None

If it's new always over invoice, especially seeing as they're just about done building 2012's but I could of course be wrong, so it's time to start clearing lots. just my .02, but new just a bit over invoice is my usual offer.
    BB DTM B7 A4/10% tint all around/Vortex splitters/Sonic Tuning LM Reps/Red painted Calipers/Hawk HPS Pads/Koni/Eibach Pro Kit/Kenwood DVD Headunit/REVO STG 2/RAI DP/HFC/AWE Catback Exhaust/Show N' Go Plate holder/Ebay Mirror caps/Podi Mechanical Boost Gauge/Piston DV/1080 Carbon Fiber Wrapped Interior Trim/Krauto LED Interior Lights/B7 S4 Recaro seats/TTs flat bottom wheel/RS4 Pedals/S4 Door Blades/Drilled&Slotted Rotors/rs4 RSB

Active Member One Ring
    AZ Member #

Yeah, they're completely done with the 2012's. Was told that even if I wanted to custom build one that I couldn't - I'd have to get a 2013 and wait till August. There's no real motivation for them to "get one off the lot", though, given that the car isn't on their lot unfortunately. The car itself is on the boat and on its way to Houston, destined for another dealership. They just said they could make arrangements to get it and bring it up to Oregon if I wanted it. All the A6's they have come with those ridiculous 20" sport packages that I have no interest in.

Veteran Member Four Rings VroomVroom's Avatar
    AZ Member #

There is always room for negotiation, even if in your case it's a bit limited by the lack of instant gratification (for both of you). Likewise, there is always motivation to sell...don't let anyone fool you on that one, premium-brand or otherwise. A unit sold is a unit sold, and that's why they keep the lights on.

Negotiation. Everyone has a different strategy, but IME it's been a pleasure working with Audi dealer sales staff. That said, it's always best to keep things in order. Come to terms on a price for the car. Then negotiate extras...accessories, warranty, etc. Then negotiate terms. These don't have to be mutually exclusive...have them run your credit while working on price if you'd like - that way you're showing good faith toward a transaction, and they're confirming your interest and ability to pay...just don't let things get out of hand. You do this once every few years...they do this every day...keep things balanced and your priorities in order.

In your case, how about making a reasonable offer on the car, and listen to what they say in return? Hopefully you'll find common ground, and enter into a pleasant exchange. From there, I'd bet you'll be pleasantly surprised. Good luck.
    -Jerry
    '13 Q5 Premium plus 3.0T. Glacier White/Black; MMI Nav plus, S line, B&O, Sport interior.
    - H&R Sport springs, Solo Performance exhaust tips, Various VCDS tidbits.
    (Formerly) '12 Q5, 3.2, '08 A4 Avant 3.2, '06 A4 Avant 3.2.

Active Member Two Rings Smneveau4's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2011 Q5 Prestige

Not sure where your looking to buy but Trucar gives you an idea what people are buying it for in your area. I bought the 2012 A6 3.0 Prestige with 18" sports package in December. After a few weeks of back and forth I got the price down 8K from their asking price. There is a $1500 incentive off if you own a qualifying car plus another $1500 incentive if you own an Audi currently (which we qualified for both.) They had a financing incentive of 0.9% APR that ran through February I believe. Check AudiUSA website for current financing incentives. Hope this helps.. Good luck..