Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Established Member Two Rings c0de's Avatar
    AZ Member #

newb question about center console information LCD

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    okay, so i apologize i tried searching but couldn't figure out exact terminology..
    I have an 09 A4 2.0T, I got the red instrument cluster LCD screen, it currently shows the remaining mileage on the tank in the big area of the screen.
    The question is, where can I find a how-to or manual on how to change that to different display modes? (MPH, MPG, etc..)

also, for future reference, what is that display called?
    Last edited by c0de; 04-06-2012 at 07:59 AM. Reason: I called it center console, but i don't mean the MMI.. i meant the LCD in the instrument cluster..

AZ Member #

I believe it's referred to as the DIS. I'm not sure if that just stands for DISplay. If you have a Premium model, the only way to get other info on the display is through VCDS (enabling the trip computers). The higher models have a wiper stalk with more functionality, with which you can scroll through the various bits of info (MPH, MPG, etc.).

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by Ox4 View Post
    I believe it's referred to as the DIS. I'm not sure if that just stands for DISplay. If you have a Premium model, the only way to get other info on the display is through VCDS (enabling the trip computers). The higher models have a wiper stalk with more functionality, with which you can scroll through the various bits of info (MPH, MPG, etc.).
    DIS! now that's getting somewhere! thanks for the help, at least now I know what to look for.. i'll check the forums and VCDS codes for it, i'm gonna go this weekend to enable needle sweep and operating windows with key fob..
    Thanks for the help

Veteran Member Four Rings NPuter's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    '07 MBZ CLK350 Cab/'13 Subaru Outback 3.6R

I have a write up somewhere with the vag codes to enable mode switching without the stalk.

I believe DIS stands for driver information system.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by NPuter View Post
    I have a write up somewhere with the vag codes to enable mode switching without the stalk.

I believe DIS stands for driver information system.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk
    From what I gathered from your previous posts is that I need to swap the wiper stalk to include the DIS option button, and then release the option from VCDS..

AZ Member #

I didn't swap my wiper stalk, and I have to access the different display options from the Car menu. I find this to be a bit of a hassle every time I want to change the display, but it's still much better than nothing. One other thing is that without the upgraded stalk, you can't get a digital speedometer in the DIS. I find that enabling the driving school mode with VCDS is a decent substitute.

cOde, are you as overwhemled as I am with all the information out there? Thankfully, there are a lot of great, knowledgeable guys on here. I used these to do all of the Vag-Com mods that I wanted:

http://www.audizine.com/forum/showth...-complete-list

http://a6retrofit.tripod.com/article...des.html#codes

I'm going to try to track down NPuter's writeup that he referred to. In the meantime, enabling the trip computer is covered in the second link.

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Found it c0de: you do not have to retrofit the stalks... (see below)

http://www.audizine.com/forum/showth...=1#post4706174

AZ Member #

I appreciate all the help and support you guys gave. i'll be heading to my trusted mechanic for a list of vag com mods today..

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Quote Originally Posted by c0de View Post
    I appreciate all the help and support you guys gave. i'll be heading to my trusted mechanic for a list of vag com mods today..
    Are you sure your mechanic has a Vag-Com?

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by NPuter View Post
    Are you sure your mechanic has a Vag-Com?
    turns out they're closed today, and yes they are an Audi/VW mechanic (http://www.dubwerx.com/ for people in Cincinnati) I called ahead and asked if they can help me with VAG-COM since I don't want to pay a few hundred for one (and I am told 30$ chinese ones on eBay are crapola)