Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Senior Member Three Rings
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    Mazda RX8 GT

Questions from new B7/S4, Brakes, Maintaince, CEL...:-(

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    Ok guys im going to be completely honest ive had my S4 for about two weeks and been reading allot on there and just have questions which i just cant seem to find the answers to though numersous searches here, and on other forums. I've seen what happens to people who ask dumb questions so i ask you guys to PLEASE HAVE MERCY AND TAKE IT EASY ON ME.

Ok i have a list.

I'm about to pull the trigger on some brakes, i was looking at some stop tech rotors. I originally wanted to go with a set of Adams Rotors simply for the aesthetics of the rotors, decided to save the money andgo with a set of StopTech rotors i found on tirerack.com....i know stoptech is a fairly decent brand for the price. I'm not tracking the car and dont do aggressive driving, just want something whcih will last atleast 30k miles,brakes on par to OEM, and looks nice. Will i get by with this?
    http://www.tirerack.com/brakes/brake...Standard+Model

Pads i was going to go with centric posi quiet, affordable, easy on rotors, nothing fancy...i have them on my RX8 for about 3 years and im happy with them. I know brakes on one car cat be compared to brakes on another, even if its the same brand so my question are posi quiets a good choice for OEM replacement pads? And which are a better choice semi metalic or ceramic (people say ceramic are better for dust, but they seem to dust like a mofo on my other car???)
    http://www.tirerack.com/brakes/brake...Standard+Model

As far as brakes go, what do you think...my limit is 500 shipped on parts for F&R, dont need a race setup...jus something oem equiv that may have a little more performance/quality (if possible)

Ok 2nd Q, im going to feel dumb asking this, i have the display in the gauge cluster which cycles through wat im presuming to be problems on the car, i see a headlight symbol (which i read is headlight leveling), one for my license tag, another for some other things whichi do not know what are for, anyone hae a list of warning symbols ad what they mean? Im really scratching my head on this.

3rd Q, When i am in park, if i rev my engine i can feel allot of flex in the engine, it actually flexes the chasis a bit too...i can feel the engine move from side to side a lil. Is this normal or am i going to be on the look out fr new motor mounts soon. i read aout the snub mount for this issue, should i look at snub first then move on to motor mounts.

4th, for those who know my car, it is beyond slammed. I am noticing a strong vibration on acceleration, when i let off the gas it stops. My assumption is the suspension. It will be raised this week and from there i will see if the problem is fixed. If not, what could it be?? I know worn rotors can cause this (and my rotors are pretty much done and will be replaced), bent rims, unballanced tires (which i will be looking into as well), besides this what else should i be lookingout for before i bring it to the shop, i want to have a heads up before the shop owner so i can be sure he isnt pulling one over me.

I will have ore questions later but thanks for those who can help without flaming me ha ha

Veteran Member Four Rings Black3.2's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    B8 S4, C6 A6 3.0T

All of the warning signals are on page 23 or so in the manual, it lists them all, that may not be the exact page but they are all in that area of the book.

the vibration is most likely the control arms (actually the bushings on the UCA's) - a very common known wear point in our suspension. Not a total PITA to DIY, but not as easy as changing out the brakes. I know someone posted a DIY on here about them. 1 suggestion is if you are on coilovers (i dont know your current set up) you may want to go with the adjustable control arms to eliminate the camber of being "slammed"

Senior Member Three Rings
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    Mazda RX8 GT

thanks fr the reply, i really appreciate it.

1) i dont have an owners manual, dealer said they did and had to look for it, now they dont (typical sales man). I found some on ebay but they are 100 buck...not to sound like a cheapskate but 100 bux for a 7 year old owners mnual is redic. Any one have a digital/pdf frmat owners manual, or something with the symbols and what they mean.

The car is about to be lifted, once the wheels are off a full front end inspection will be done where we can see how the control arms look as well as all the other front suspension components. I did see the adjutable control arms (i belive through jhm) and have put it on my to do list...after brakes are done next week, i will have these installed in May assuming they need replacing.

Do you have any comments/suggestions on the brake setup im going for. I will be purchasing tonight.

Anyone else have any help?