Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Senior Member Three Rings sdy101's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2010 Acura MDX Tech RES

Conti DWS vs PZero Nero

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    So I am in the market for new tires to replace my OEM 245/40R18 Pirelli P6's. Living in central PA, I want an all season tire that can handle the short summer months, cold winter months, and some light snow (as I don't have the $$$ right now for a dedicated set of summer and winter wheels/tires). My car is a daily driver, and I have a 10-mile spirited drive to and from work (with about 7 miles of twisty 40 mph roads that I like to drive 60 mph on). I am looking for a high-perforamance AS tire that handles well in dry/wet, candle handle some light snow, and is quiet on the highway!

Based on reviews from Consumer Reports, Tire Rack, and Google, and based on price (otherwise I would consider the Bridgestone RE970AS Pole Positions or Michelins), I have narrowed it down to these two tires: Continental ExtremeContact DWS and Pirelli PZero Nero AS. I will say I had the Conti DWS's on my 2007 A4 for about 15k miles and I was not all that impressed with their dry handling performance (although I was coming from Kumho SPT summer tires), and the DWS's got a bit noisy at the end. I will say they were great in the rain and in the snow. The General G-Max AS-03 and Kumho Ecsta 4X are in the right price range, but they are a bit too new for me to consider (unless someone has some real experience with these).

Reviews for the PZero Neros are very mixed, but I have contacted several forum members through PM to get their unbiased opinions, and I have read the expert reviews in the UHP AS category by Consumer Reports (who rated it #1 recently) and Tire Rack (who rated it #1 in 2009 and 2010 and #2 in 2011). Although the majority of reviews are typically when the tire is brand new, so long term is always a factor and a big question mark.

Since I am still a bit undecided, I thought I would post here and read other folks thoughts and experiences are with these tires. Plus I was hoping Doc@TireRack would comment. Thanks!
    2009 2.0T Ice Silver, Auto, Quattro, Prestige Pkg, Navigation
    OEM Sport Suspension | H&R Rear Sway Bar | H&R 15F/20R Spacers | K&N Drop-in | EC Turbo IP
    Hoen Xenon-match Fogs | LED Interior Lighting | 40% tint

Veteran Member Four Rings VroomVroom's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Hmmm...your experience has me a little worried about my recent DWS purchase. Thus far I've been ecstatic, but I'm only @ 1,500 miles. I asked about PZero's, although I'm not 100% sure they were Neros...I'm not familiar with the Pirelli product line. The folks who I talked to were not very positive about them, so I eliminated them pretty quickly. Honestly, I'd already eliminated General and Kumho. My experiences with both (my old '06 A4 and the wife's '06 TSX) were poor - the compound seemed to turn rock hard before 10k miles, generating a lot of noise and a huge lack of confidence in handling.

Sorry I couldn't add much in the way of value. Good luck with the decision...
    -Jerry
    '13 Q5 Premium plus 3.0T. Glacier White/Black; MMI Nav plus, S line, B&O, Sport interior.
    - H&R Sport springs, Solo Performance exhaust tips, Various VCDS tidbits.
    (Formerly) '12 Q5, 3.2, '08 A4 Avant 3.2, '06 A4 Avant 3.2.

Veteran Member Four Rings vortexjunkie's Avatar
    AZ Member #

I have enjoyed my DSW tires very much... They have by far been the best tire I have ever bought

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

Established Member Two Rings csh724's Avatar
    AZ Member #

I just bought a set of DWS as my winter set a 2 months ago now and I am really impressed with them so far only have a little over 2k on them but there great for the money
    99' A6 2.8Q Tip

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2010 Acura MDX Tech RES

Quote Originally Posted by VroomVroom View Post
    Hmmm...your experience has me a little worried about my recent DWS purchase. Thus far I've been ecstatic, but I'm only @ 1,500 miles. I asked about PZero's, although I'm not 100% sure they were Neros...I'm not familiar with the Pirelli product line. The folks who I talked to were not very positive about them, so I eliminated them pretty quickly. Honestly, I'd already eliminated General and Kumho. My experiences with both (my old '06 A4 and the wife's '06 TSX) were poor - the compound seemed to turn rock hard before 10k miles, generating a lot of noise and a huge lack of confidence in handling.

Sorry I couldn't add much in the way of value. Good luck with the decision...
    I have found that most of my tires get louder as the tread depth decreases. Although, it may be due to infrequent tire rotations on my part, so I wouldn't get too concerned just yet. I only rotated the DWS's once at 10k miles, when maybe I should have rotated at every 4k miles being a new tire. The dry handling was directly compared to the summer tires (Kumho) they replaced, so maybe it wasn't a fair comparison. The DWS's just didn't seem to have the stickiness or the steering response the Kumho's had. I have got some positive responses (via PM) from Pzero Nero owners, so I'm still unsure. My biggest concern with going Pirelli is that I'm coming from their P6's, which I think are a very mediocre (at best) tire....
    OEM Sport Suspension | H&R Rear Sway Bar | H&R 15F/20R Spacers | K&N Drop-in | EC Turbo IP

Stage 2 Banner Advertiser Four Rings Doc@tirerack's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Take a look at this test, the two were very evenly matched......

[IMG][/IMG]

(sorry for the small pic, click to enlarge)
    Last edited by Doc@tirerack; 04-03-2012 at 04:40 PM.
    Doc Horvath
    The Tire Rack
    800-428-8355, ext 4665

please do not PM me, but send email direct to me at Doc@TireRack.com

Support Audizine !!

Click on the Tire Rack banner ad or reference >DOC / Audizine< when ordering !

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2010 Acura MDX Tech RES

Quote Originally Posted by Doc@tirerack View Post
    Take a look at this test, the two were very evenly matched......

[IMG][/IMG]

(sorry for the small pic, click to enlarge)
    Yep, that's the one I read, along with CR rating the PZero Nero at #1. Looks like I found my replacement tires...

Stage 3 Forum Advertiser Four Rings VMRWheels's Avatar
    AZ Member #

It's interesting that you thought the dry traction was not that impressive to you. I've sold many sets of these and all of my customers have loved those tires.
    VMR | Wheels
    noel@velocitymotoring.com | (714) 442-7916 Ext. 103
    www.velocitymotoring.com | | | Blog | Instagram

Veteran Member Four Rings VroomVroom's Avatar
    AZ Member #

FWIW, on a lonely road, I've pushed mine as far as I care to do so, with no complaint. The car remains greater than the driver, in my case, which is right where I want it. ;) Nonetheless it'll be interesting to see how things go as the miles accumulate. Good thread, though...thanks to the OP and the pros. As many miles as I rack up, it's always worth keeping an ear to the ground for the next set of tires.
    -Jerry
    '13 Q5 Premium plus 3.0T. Glacier White/Black; MMI Nav plus, S line, B&O, Sport interior.
    - H&R Sport springs, Solo Performance exhaust tips, Various VCDS tidbits.
    (Formerly) '12 Q5, 3.2, '08 A4 Avant 3.2, '06 A4 Avant 3.2.

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2010 Acura MDX Tech RES

Quote Originally Posted by VMRWheels View Post
    It's interesting that you thought the dry traction was not that impressive to you. I've sold many sets of these and all of my customers have loved those tires.
    My basis for the dry traction comment is that I have an on ramp that I like to take very fast, where it pushes me to the far edge of my seat, and with my Kumho summer tires I stuck like glue. With the DWS's I had to back off on the throttle due to car starting to slide at the same speeds. Also, when taking the twisty roads on my drive home from work, I just felt it was not as "tight" as the summer tires. For "normal" daily driving, I had no complaints whatsoever (until they got a bit noisy). Just my opinion.

Veteran Member Four Rings D's Avant's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    02 BMW 330i

I've got both tires on two of our cars. The PZero AS is terrible in the snow on my wife's car. Have dedicated winter set-up for her now and will be replacing them with Conti DW's for her summer tires in the next few weeks. I run the Conti DWS's on my Avant and they do okay in the dry and are really very good in the snow. They do not have the best turn-in/bite/steering feel. For the $$$ can't beat them though.
    Current '08 A6 Avant S-Line
    Former '99 A4 Avant 1.8t

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2010 Acura MDX Tech RES

So I got the PZero Nero A/S tires and so far (only about 100 miles), so good. I like the feel and response, much better than the stock tires. Noise level varies depending on road surface, some roads produce zero noise, others give some low growl, but nothing offensive. I have taken it easy on them during the break-in period, so I'll try and remember to report back after about 1k miles...