Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Angry Audi won't cover my cam follower failure. Where do I send my letter?

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    I have a 2008 A3. Over a year ago, the cam follower failed and I had to get a new HPFP and camshaft, all that good stuff...

My car was out of warranty at the time, so I took it to an independent shop and had it done there. I was pissed about having to shell out so much money to fix this issue that everyone seemed to be having. But then the warranty extension came and I though I was saved. However, I never got a letter.

I called Audi (and found copies of the letter online) and discovered that my VIN wasn't covered in the extension. I tried to explain that my car had the exact same symptoms and failure as everyone else but they wouldn't budge. And to top it off, I also mentioned the problems I was having with the PCV valve failing and the tech on the phone said "I've been here for 6 years and I've never, ever heard of that problem." Bullshit. Isn't there a warranty extension for that now too?

Anyway, I'm still angry that I had to pay my own money to fix this issue that should be covered by this warranty extension. My guess is that there weren't many 2008s that had the part revisions necessary to cause the cam follower failure, so Audi just ignored them all. And I was lucky enough to get one of those 2008s.

My current plan to to draft up a formal complaint letter (I've heard these sometimes work?), but I'm not sure where to send it.

Any info on where to send a complaint like this? Or what other approaches I could take?

Established Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

[/QUOTE]

My current plan to to draft up a formal complaint letter (I've heard these sometimes work?), but I'm not sure where to send it.

Any info on where to send a complaint like this? Or what other approaches I could take?[/QUOTE]

I'd get in contact with Audi of America. They contacted my local dealership and got them to redo some work I felt I got ripped off on for free. In fact I'm writing this from the waiting area.
    2002 Audi S6 Avant

Established Member Two Rings ShadowGLI's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Although my experience was a little different at my Cam Follower failure was on my VW, I have the following I received for my car, I can only assume the Audi documentation and terms would be the same. I'd primarily note the terms on the first page as far as they will reimburse as long as it doesn't exceed the dealer cost for repair.

Cam Follower Failure Doc 1 by Ryan Gravelle, on Flickr

Cam Follower Failure Doc 2 by Ryan Gravelle, on Flickr

[img]
    Cam Follower Failure Doc 3 by Ryan Gravelle, on Flickr[/img]

hope that helps in some way. I got covered for labor in full but I had it done at my local VW dealer at the time.
    Ryan Gravelle
    club.broke.status : flickr

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Thanks for the replies.

The conversation I referenced in my post was with Audi of America :\

And yes, I've seen that letter. The problem is that the letter only covers 2006-2007 models. Mine is a 2008.

Veteran Member Four Rings
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2011 Audi A3 Quattro, 2008 Jeep Liberty

Not that it really helps you, but I've been through this with my DSG and Audi. They told me over and over that they NEVER heard of 2009+ DSG's and, especially, 2011 DSG's having issues with "false neutral". Car almost killed me three times and they kept denying there was an issue. Oldest tech in the place even came out and said he called the "hotline" and "his buddies" from other dealerships and they NEVER heard of such a an issue. I even told them I heard on the forums of numerous other people with this issue and that there was, in fact, an update in testing (thank you, Fourtitude) and that one member had even received it prior to official release. They acted like I was some asshat who didn't know what I was talking about. I demanded to be notified immediately when it came out. They never called me. Two months later, in October 2011, I happened to take it in for another small warranty claim and they pulled up my car to find a TSB on my particular DSG. The "update" to fix the problem came out. I walked right into the Svc. Mgr.'s office and did the "I told you so" dance. He and the rest acted surprised and subtly denied I had mentioned it to them previously...yeah, fuck 'em. Worst part was that I was totally nice and compliant with them till the 3rd time the car almost killed me (would've been a T-bone "accident" with a large dump truck).
    Papachristou: i just said "yeah well you are still driving a neon, and she still wants to ride in my car"

2011 Audi A3 2.0 T Quattro S. Tronic Titanium
    APR K04 Turbo Kit, APR FMIC
    Carbonio Intake
    B&B Turboback Exhaust
    H&R Coilovers
    R32 Front Brakes
    Votex Side Skirts