Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Registered Member One Ring
    AZ Member #

Talking Looking to buy, need advice

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    Hey guys,

New user here looking to get a bit of advice.

First for some background. I was previously a Subaru owner and owned a 2008 Legacy wagon:

Unfortunately last week some lady in a Sunfire thought it would be hilarious to T-bone me and push me up a curb. Got a call from the adjuster today and the damage is $18,000 so the car is a write-off.

So now I'm in the market for a new wagon and always wanted an audi. I was looking into the 2008 A4 Wagons, budget $20,000 - $30,000 All in. I'd prefer if the km's were less than 75k.

I found this car and was wondering if anybody had any advice on wether it is a decent purchase? If not can you guys recommend me some cars that are out there for sale? Also what should I look after when purchasing a used Audi (Common Problems)

http://wwwb.autotrader.ca/a/Audi/A4/...0704174645978/

Thanks,
    Mario

Veteran Member Four Rings tankdeer's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    A Unicorn
    Items for Sale

Sorry to hear about your Subie - it was a nice looking car (love the color).

If you're looking at 2008's then you're looking at the B7 generation, which goes from 2005.5-2008. There aren't really any major issues with them, some small engine stuff like cam follower, PCV, carbon buildup. None of which are rally that difficult to stay on top of. You can check out the B7 section for info on those kinds of things. I don't know what they go for up there in Canada but in the US $20-30k would get you a very nice example. The one you linked is nice, but I noticed it's an automatic. Most people on here will tell you to hold out for a manual, and having owned one of each I would agree with them. It's just so much more enjoyable to drive.

Depending on what you had planned with it, I would advise a B7 with a manual trans, S-Line package (or at least the 2008 SE package which came with the S-line bumpers), and bixenon headlights (part of the tech package IIRC).. Whatever you get, good luck with your search, and be sure and post up here once you buy something. Oh, and depending on how picky you are, don't be afraid to travel to get the right car. My wife and I ended up flying from Portland to Denver to get our last one and drove it back (~1200 miles/1931 kms). And it was absolutely worth it.
    "And change your avatar, seeing sedans make me sick..." - 02silverbullett

B7 2.0T Engine Part out | 2008 Ibis Ti Avant 6MT | 2006 DG Avant Tip - RIP

Negative Ghostrider, the pattern is full

Veteran Member Four Rings VroomVroom's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Excellent advice above. Not to be Captain Obvious, but I assume the decrease in rear passenger and cargo space in comparison to the Legacy is okay by you? Also, if you can possibly test drive (sedans are fine), I'd recommend pitting the 2.0T against the 3.2 to see which one you prefer.

I love my '08, and wouldn't hesitate to recommend it. I can't speak to the market in your area, but here the price range you mentioned would certainly be applicable. Avants are an interesting breed, and because there generally few good ones available at any one time, the individual price depends on the seller's strategy....wait for the right buyer who will pay, or price it low so it'll move sooner. As mentioned above, it's generally worth expanding your search area to find the right car at the right price. Good luck!
    -Jerry
    '13 Q5 Premium plus 3.0T. Glacier White/Black; MMI Nav plus, S line, B&O, Sport interior.
    - H&R Sport springs, Solo Performance exhaust tips, Various VCDS tidbits.
    (Formerly) '12 Q5, 3.2, '08 A4 Avant 3.2, '06 A4 Avant 3.2.

Senior Member Three Rings flir67's Avatar
    AZ Member #

I would say stick with a 2.0T with the way gas prices are going up... I see its about 5.30 in cananda now? it will continue to raise so say 6.00+ with in five years.. figure out where u want to be in that time and see how you fare with the 25-30mpg... and yes go with a manual easier to work on and better on gas.. any audi you get , find a reputable vw mechanic and have them go over it thoroughly. just ask I'm sure some one knows of vw certified mechanic for our audi's in your area.. just don't let any backyard mechanic mess with it... thats a no-no....... meet up with one of the boards members and let them go over it or go check it out....

the model your looking at has the 2.0 T FSI , doesn't the fsi have the timing belt and not the timing chain?? worth looking into..... so if you get timing belt add that into the repair cost and figure out when it was last done....very important...

nice car, plus it has flappy panels on the steering wheel for gear changing..

oh make sure it has the options on it you want now... sat radio installed, nav, heated seats....etc.... can be added later but it a hassle..
    Last edited by flir67; 04-02-2012 at 06:49 PM.

Veteran Member Four Rings tankdeer's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    A Unicorn
    Items for Sale

^ Yes, 2.0T is a timing belt. Most on the forums replace it around 80k miles.
    "And change your avatar, seeing sedans make me sick..." - 02silverbullett

B7 2.0T Engine Part out | 2008 Ibis Ti Avant 6MT | 2006 DG Avant Tip - RIP

Negative Ghostrider, the pattern is full

Senior Member Three Rings flir67's Avatar
    AZ Member #

thanks, I thought so, wasn't completely sure...

also make sure all the electronics work.. headlight washers(lights on only), rear backup bumper sensors,etc... before you sign.....