Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Registered Member Three Rings Thomas@TAI-VW's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    B8S4 Chariot of the CLODS

If you have a Audi under warranty,read this............

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...-warranty-flag
    This sucks,but it is the reality of owning a VAG vehicle now. "Pay to play".

Senior Member Four Rings tenfour's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    clutter

Yep. Some interesting threads in the b8 sections about this.
    -roger
    current ride: ibis white B8 A4 2.0T

Stock...

former rides: 08 G37s 6sp (sold), 99.5 b5 5sp quattro (sold), 04 E46 M3 6sp (sold)

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2013 Subaru WRX, 2009 Mitsubishi Lancer Ralliart, 2008 Yamaha R1

When I had my previous 2008 Acura RDX, Acura of Honolulu would always do a engine scan whenever I brought my vehicle in.

I notice on the paper they would give to the service advisor, the scan would show my RDX as 'stock'. I can only assume that if the engine was modified in anyway, the scan would pick it up.
    2013 Subaru WRX
    2009 Mitsubishi Lancer Ralliart
    2008 Yamaha R1

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    clutter

Recent tuners have claimed to have non detectable tunes, but I guess AoA has found a way to verify. Guessing changed bits and what not in the software. There is talks about a REVO/STaSIS merger and STaSIS has its own type of warranty, so maybe that will shed some light for those who would probably would want a tune in the future, like myself. If nothing good comes out of it, it's wait till my warranty is up or never tune. That's if I decide to keep my car that long.
    -roger

Stock...

former rides: 08 G37s 6sp (sold), 99.5 b5 5sp quattro (sold), 04 E46 M3 6sp (sold)

Veteran Member Three Rings Bob This's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2012 Nissan Versa, 2006 Nissan Frontier, 2006 Mazda 5

bunk action
    http://www.facebook.com/sfscc

S.F.S. - Velocity - L4P - HH - Battle Style SPL - OMaM - GoT

We sleep until the sun goes down because We're up all night to get lucky

Established Member Two Rings Crass!'s Avatar
    AZ Member #

Hrm - wonder if APR's Stock program would pass the test?

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    clutter

Quote Originally Posted by Crass! View Post
    Hrm - wonder if APR's Stock program would pass the test?
    Nope. There already have been a few that got flagged, even when putting it back to stock mode.
    -roger

Stock...

Senior Member Three Rings Huli467's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    06 B7 Avant S-Line

Wait, so I'm supposed to be going in for service. I'm APR stage 1. Should I be afraid?
    SOLD: 2006 A4 Avant S-Line // 19x8.5 SB VMR 701 // Carbonio Intake // AWE Exhaust // APR Test Pipe // APR Stage 1 // NSP Column Pod // Forge DV // Eurojet PCV Bypass // Yakima Racks //

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    clutter

If they flag you for TD1. If not, that's good. TD1 flag basically keeps your car in their database stating that you have a tune and if anything may go wrong with your car, there is a possibility they may deny your power train warranty. Components that may be affected by the tune of course, vice before, how most dealers would just repair w/out being able to verify. That's my understanding.
    -roger

Stock...

Veteran Member Four Rings Erocko's Avatar
    AZ Member #

I'd worry, if you have an Audicare extended warranty. Does anyone know if this applies to older cars, or just the newer ones.

Quote Originally Posted by Huli467 View Post
    Wait, so I'm supposed to be going in for service. I'm APR stage 1. Should I be afraid?

Current: 2013 Juke Nismo - Euro Nismo Pedals/Armrest - Weathertech Digital Fit Mats - DRL Combo Switch - LED interior/plate - Euro Hood Deflector - Cusco Strut Tower Brace - Injen SRI - Custom 2.5" Midpipe/JDM Fujitsubo Authorize S Axleback
    Former: 2011 Shadow Blue Mk6 GTI DSG 4-door, 2005.5 B7 A4 2.0T FWD CVT

Senior Member Three Rings Huli467's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    06 B7 Avant S-Line

Quote Originally Posted by Erocko View Post
    I'd worry, if you have an Audicare extended warranty. Does anyone know if this applies to older cars, or just the newer ones.
    Yep, I purchased the X-Warranty from AOH. Shoot, that's not good. But in a way, I was chipped when they let me purchase the warranty. My service records at AOH would've shown that I had been chipped. I remember the old svc mgr, Tina calling me to warn me of the reflash back to stock. I wonder if I have a case here. I'm gonna investigate.
    SOLD: 2006 A4 Avant S-Line // 19x8.5 SB VMR 701 // Carbonio Intake // AWE Exhaust // APR Test Pipe // APR Stage 1 // NSP Column Pod // Forge DV // Eurojet PCV Bypass // Yakima Racks //

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    clutter

Let us know what you find out. Mahalos
    -roger

Stock...

Veteran Member Four Rings HIstateS8's Avatar
    AZ Member #

@Roger, yeah I saw that article on FB about the buy out/merger of REVO and Stasis. That's a big move!
    -Brandon S.

2002 Metallic Black //S8

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

ok so i called a few tech friends over @ VW and Audi as well as APR yesterday just to get some info first hand ....

1 only audi does this ..at the current time vw does not but my do it in the next coming year or two but by that time APR will figure it out

2 the TD1 warranty protocol is NOT mandatory line item on a Audi RO (repair order) so a typical service/oil change will not fall under this category @ this time

3 it is still up to the Audi tech if he does want to do it any anytime if he feels it is needed .. so dont be a dik to the service department and it will be ok

4 if you do have a warranty concern you do have the option to put it back to stock before you even start the claim ...

5 the TD1 warranty protocol has been around since the beginning of the b7 chassis so its nothing new

so in short if you are a APR customer i can still flash your brand new Audi S4 ,S5 , S6, A4, TT etc IN HOUSE and if for any reason you do have a warranty concern i can flash it back to STOCK and reinstall the nessary hardware if need be and not have to worry about it..after all whats cheaper paying for labor on reinstalling stock parts or buying a 7,000 dollar b7 s4 transmission ???..then once its all clear i can simply flash it back to the APR tune ..once again all done in house so no more sending your S4 ecu's to the mainland

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    clutter

You da man! How much would you guys charge to flash to stock, then bring back to reflash? This is a great work around for those considering it.
    Last edited by tenfour; 03-29-2012 at 04:51 PM.
    -roger

Stock...

AZ Member #

If it gets to the point where they are denying warranty due to mods, look into bringing the Magnuson-Moss Act into the picture:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnuso...s_Warranty_Act

Essentially, it requires a Warrantor to prove unequivocally that your mods caused the failure. If they need to stick your car on a rack, remove the transmission then disassemble it to prove so, then all of that is done on their dime.

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Magnusson Moss only relates to aftermarket filters/etc.....the manufacturer can deny whatever they want,and it happens everyday. I am just passing on info here. If anyone wants to take chance it is "pay to play",but if you are relying on someones word that it will be "OK",get it in writing that they will cover your repairs,since you will be SOL if not.
    I certainly know I do not want the liability of telling my customers "it's OK" when I really don't know if it will be or not,hell I won't even flash my own car now!lol
    Chance um' and tell us how it turns out.....

AZ Member #

Yeah Thomas it is definitely not a "you win" button. It did help me with VWOA though when they tried to decline the warranty on my Jetta's tiptronic transmission - figured it was worth a mention here.

AZ Member #
    My Garage

I remember that! You got lucky,since it costs so much to take anything to court nowadays. VAG cars are just SO ridiculously expensive for anything nowadays! Before you could buy a spare ECU and swap it,now a ECU is $1500.00,a S4 motor is $20K, a fuel injector,yes 1 fuel injector is $300.00,a fuel pump is $900.00,I mean it is a trip........not to mention airbags,a steering wheel airbag is 1K!! To fix anything out of warranty is gonna be a grip........I just don;t want something going out on my new S4 and they say....nope you gotta pay for it,1-2-5K please!
    Some will get lucky and hve a Audi/VW that has NO issues under warranty (did I just say that?),but I do not want to take a chnce when I spent a small fortune on a damn car.

AZ Member #
    My Garage

I wonder if theres a way to unflash a car

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by Bob This View Post
    I wonder if theres a way to unflash a car
    with APR you can .. apr does have a stock file for every car they make software for .. so going back to what i said above there are ways around it ...I can flash it back to 100% STOCK and not just put it in stock mode and once all is clear I can reflash the S4 ecu in house

AZ Member #
    My Garage

I thought they were able to find it even if u put it back to stock?

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by Bob This View Post
    I thought they were able to find it even if u put it back to stock?

this is partially true ..
    when the dealership does their Pre Delivery Inspection they input their dealer code and when its flashed even back to stock i will have a different code than theirs

so with that they do know something may be up with the ecu but just from that they cant see what is modified on the ecu itself .... but then again with your typical "oil change" wont even need to look at the ecu for that

AZ Member #
    My Garage

This is REAL folks. A guy in the S4 forum just had his issues with a bad synchro on his S4 warranty work denied. Audi of America gave him the blanket statement "your powertrain is no longer covered under warranty due to chip tuning". He has to pay out of pocket on a car with 30K miles. You have been warned.....

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    clutter

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas@TAI-VW View Post
    This is REAL folks. A guy in the S4 forum just had his issues with a bad synchro on his S4 warranty work denied. Audi of America gave him the blanket statement "your powertrain is no longer covered under warranty due to chip tuning". He has to pay out of pocket on a car with 30K miles. You have been warned.....
    Holy crap! I don't even want to know what the bill for that is.
    -roger

Stock...

Forum Moderator Four Rings
    AZ Member #

From what I heard they have a database (Audi server) of the stock settings for all modules. Basically when they scan your car all the modules are compared to their database of what your car should be stock.
    B5 S4/Hawaii Region Moderator - PM Comments/Concerns

00 Laser Red S4.
    VAST Performance | BLOUCH | AWE | EvolutionRacewerks | Volk Racing | Vogtland | STaSIS/Alcon | JHM Motorsports | RS4 OEM

AZ Member #

Man, Audi/VW ark now how to be lame. They're so successful now, they decide to hurt a large portion of their returning buyers. I understand that they are trying to protect themselves from covering actual chip-related damage, but it's still pretty lame. I mean, someone buys a $50k+ car (in this case) and they basically tell them to never buy another car from them.

Some fun reading, from the mk6 forum. This guy is getting so screwed over.
    http://www.golfmk6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=38362

Current: 2013 Juke Nismo - Euro Nismo Pedals/Armrest - Weathertech Digital Fit Mats - DRL Combo Switch - LED interior/plate - Euro Hood Deflector - Cusco Strut Tower Brace - Injen SRI - Custom 2.5" Midpipe/JDM Fujitsubo Authorize S Axleback

Veteran Member Four Rings kurupt_hawaiian's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2014 Ram1500 Hemi QuadCab

Man...I was just talking myself into tuning the GTI. Maybe I should hold off a little longer on the tune, and work on looks instead of performance...
    2007 Audi A4 Quartz Gray 2.0T 6MT
    Follow me on Instagram- @Kurupt_Hawaiian

-Elias

AZ Member #

Yeah, wait for your warranty to expire. Not worth the risk, IMO, unless you're loaded.

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    clutter

A guy in the b8 a4 section just got denied for a fuel pump replacement.
    -roger

Stock...

AZ Member #
    My Garage

The guy in the S4 thread with a bad trans and warranty denial/TD1 just paid 9K out of pocket!! The car had only 16K miles on it!! He had APR stage 2 in the car. That was a EXPENSIVE mod!

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    clutter

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas@TAI-VW View Post
    The guy in the S4 thread with a bad trans and warranty denial/TD1 just paid 9K out of pocket!! The car had only 16K miles on it!! He had APR stage 2 in the car. That was a EXPENSIVE mod!
    Holy fuck. 9k out of pocket?! that totally blows!
    -roger

Stock...

Veteran Member Four Rings HIstateS8's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Yup 9Gs is crazy.
    -Brandon S.

2002 Metallic Black //S8