Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Senior Member Four Rings Widebody4.2's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    S6 Avant

4.2 Cam chain tensioner failure

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    So 2 weeks ago I had my timing belt replaced threw a forum member. (He is a Audi tech) so iget the car back drive it for a week and it starts making a noise that I can only explain as marbles in my crankcase. Immediately have it towed to his work he double checks his work and diagnosis it as a "cam chain tensioner." so my car runs great feels normal and is very quiet. So my question is how long should I expect the other side to last. Is it a random part failure or does it have a shelf life? Thanks

Veteran Member Four Rings khalimadeath's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    03 S6 Avant, 98 A4, Yamaha Supermoto

been there done that. Lasted about 6 months before it broke (after the light came on and it started misfiring).. 1600 to fix it. got lucky tho it didnt damage anything.
    -Zach-

The C5 Union////////////

The United States Constitution
    (c) 1791. All Rights Reserved

Veteran Member Four Rings Stampy's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    A6, A8, X5, etc

It's not a common part to fail. What sucks is that you need that special tool in order to do the install. Which makes the DIY aspect expensive.
    Village Idiot!!!

(\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

lots of rings in my garage

Established Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    one atlas grey car, one daytona grey car

Not uncommon but also not common. They fail but not often. I would plan on getting it replaced sooner rather than later. You can drive it and wait until it starts affecting your timing and you get CEL. But, that is risky and your call.

Veteran Member Four Rings G Men 08's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    You name it..
    Items for Sale

Quote Originally Posted by Stampy View Post
    It's not a common part to fail. What sucks is that you need that special tool in order to do the install. Which makes the DIY aspect expensive.

Jeff! Wow, its been a while!

Back to topic, It is a tough call. It could last a while, it could go at any time. If you have the extra bank then I would get the part ready, and change it when you get the time during a weekend. It really is unfortunate that it is a crap shoot. Take a chance and not do it, may never fail. But on the flip side, the exact opposite can happen.
    B6 A4 3.0-sold
    C5 A6 4.2-sold
    C4 A6 2.8-sold
    B5 S4 A few mods-for sale
    MKIV Golf TDI-DD