Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Thread: S5 Race Pads

Established Member Two Rings Ludedude's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    '08 4Runner 4x4

Question S5 Race Pads

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    I know some of you track your S5s so I'm looking for information on race brake pads for mine. Don't want hybrid or streetable pads but rather a full on racing compound suggestion.

I like a really strong initial bite and something that will hold up well to high heat. The car is mostly stock, running stock brakes and no extra ducting etc. I'd like to do both front and rear pads so if there's a complimentary set of compounds that works with the factory brake bias that would be great :)

Can anyone help?
    -S5 Coupe Prestige, Tip, Tech, NAV, ADS, Adaptive Cruise, B&O etc.
    www.exoticsracing.com -- THE ULTIMATE DRIVING EXPERIENCE

Veteran Member Four Rings swoardrider's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    '06 A4Q 2.0T

Quote Originally Posted by Ludedude View Post
    I know some of you track your S5s so I'm looking for information on race brake pads for mine. Don't want hybrid or streetable pads but rather a full on racing compound suggestion.

I like a really strong initial bite and something that will hold up well to high heat. The car is mostly stock, running stock brakes and no extra ducting etc. I'd like to do both front and rear pads so if there's a complimentary set of compounds that works with the factory brake bias that would be great :)

Can anyone help?
    You cannot mix compounds between manufacturers, so you will need 2 sets of pads then. Ones for street and ones for track. People have had great luck with Carbotech on Audis. They are easy on rotor wear, and have non-corrosive dust, so they don't ruin wheel finishes. There are so many Audis out on tracks with Carbotech that you can buy factory direct, and if you belong to the North America Audi Club, they give you 10% off.
    Buy a set of front and rear Bobcats for the street. For the track, run the XP10 compound up front, and the XP8 in the rear. Carbotech's compounds "play well" with one another, so you don't have to worry about cross pad contamination. Just make sure you get your rotors lightly turned to clean off the old factory pad material before you put on the Carbotechs.
    '06 2.0T S-line Tip

Stasis/Ohlins Motorsports, Stasis 14.5" BBk, Stasis rear BBK, H-sport rear sway, APR 91 & 100, E-code testpipe, JHM 4:1 center diff, 18" Wed'sSports w/ 255/30 Toyo R888 (track), 19" Tenzo-R's w/ 255/35 (street), Stern upper arms, upgraded stereo crap, Huper tint, RS4 grill, catch can, headache, backache, walletache

Veteran Member Four Rings aaron1085's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2007 2.0T A4

I second that statement. As a follow up to SWOARIDER, as you know I purchased a Stasis/Alcon BBK...are you running carbotech's with that on the track and street or the stock pads that came with that kit?
    "The important thing is not to stop questioning. -Albert Einstein"
    "Treat everyone like a million bucks; and always have a plan to kill them"

2007 A4: APR, STaSIS/Alcon, Avant Garde, Hankook, Ohlins

Established Member Two Rings Ludedude's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    '08 4Runner 4x4

Thanks for the input. I'll just replace the rotors when I put the race pads on. I might try the bobcats if it saves me from rotor changes between track days as long as they're not obnoxious on the street. Need the car to remain presentable for date night ;)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    -S5 Coupe Prestige, Tip, Tech, NAV, ADS, Adaptive Cruise, B&O etc.
    www.exoticsracing.com -- THE ULTIMATE DRIVING EXPERIENCE

Veteran Member Four Rings swoardrider's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    '06 A4Q 2.0T

Quote Originally Posted by aaron1085 View Post
    I second that statement. As a follow up to SWOARIDER, as you know I purchased a Stasis/Alcon BBK...are you running carbotech's with that on the track and street or the stock pads that came with that kit?
    I've had my Alcons since 2006. Back then, Stasis used to use SBS brand pads. They made 3 pads types (Touring, Pro, and Track, are the names) and I've used all 3 . Very dusty, noisy, and not rotor friendly, but they stopped insane. SBS no longer makes high performance pads. Last I heard, Stasis contracted with a Japanese company to make pads for the Alcon calipers, and I have not tried them. After all the dust and rotor wear issues of the SBS, I have elected to stick with Carbotech. I have not used any of the Carbotechs on the front at the track yet, because I used to have so many sets of SBS pads. I've used the SBS on the front and Carbotech bobcats on the rear at the track. The bobcats seamed to hold up OK to track abuse for a rear pad (I'm too lazy to change out the rears all the time at the track), but the XP8 is supposed to be better.
    I recently put new front rotors on, so I have now gone with Carbotech bobcats for the street, and I will be running the XP10 or XP12 for the track in the future. I had a friend who ran the bobcat set up for the street and xp10/xp8 set up for the track on an RS4, as well as lots of Audi club guys do, with good results. I'm on my third set of rotors now, and I'm tired of replacing them so quickly, hence the reason for the rotor friendly Carbotechs from now on.
    Lots of guys like the Ferrodo pads on the Alcons. I've never tried them tho, as they do not make a very streetable pad for the mono-4 caliper, but people really seem the like the DS2500 compound. It is supposed to be comparable to the SBS Pro pads. It really comes down to what you want. If I was to only ever run one pad, it would probably be the DS2500, but then I'd have to live with the dust and noise. There is never one pad that works good for everything, it's always a trade off (I've tried with the SBS Pros and while the braking was amazing cold or hot, the dust, noise, and wear got old quick) If you don't mind changing out pads for the track, then Carbotech is a great way to go because all of their compounds "play well" with one another.
    '06 2.0T S-line Tip

Stasis/Ohlins Motorsports, Stasis 14.5" BBk, Stasis rear BBK, H-sport rear sway, APR 91 & 100, E-code testpipe, JHM 4:1 center diff, 18" Wed'sSports w/ 255/30 Toyo R888 (track), 19" Tenzo-R's w/ 255/35 (street), Stern upper arms, upgraded stereo crap, Huper tint, RS4 grill, catch can, headache, backache, walletache