Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Veteran Member Three Rings JPJ2007's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Audi Battery Leaked Battery Acid all over trunk - PICS -

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    So, I was having some battery issues. Wouldn't start, I'd charge and it wouldn't show it was holding charge but would start right up. Would have no battery power in morning etc...

So, Time for a New Battery. So I run to autozone. Sorry but I'm not spending $300 at the dealer to do what I can and DID for $100.
    New battery from Autozone, and removed the spare tire to remove the old battery.

Here is what I found....

Leaking from the Green X located to the Right of the Ground Wire.

New Battery and cleaning up. ( No, I didn't forget to finish install of Battery Belt/tie down etc...)

Got it all cleaned up and she's back to new.

Anyway, Wasn't too happy about the old battery. Guess it was old. Had the Audi Stamps and Part number on it. Maybe original? 155k miles and 6 years.
    2006 A6 3.2L Quattro S-Line
    1998.5 A4 1.8T sport
    1998 BMW 544i 6speed sport
    92 BMW 325I, 5 speed
    87 325IS, 5 speed
    08 Chevy cobalt (Wifes)

Veteran Member Three Rings Kevin1's Avatar
    AZ Member #

What is the condition of the spare after sitting in battery acid?
    2015 A6 TDI Prestige with 19" Sports Package and Season Dedicated Tires - Oolong Gray Metalic, Nougat Brown Interior, Dark Brown Walnut Inlays, Black Headliner, Driver Assistance Package, Cold Weather Package, Night Vision Assistant with Pedestrian Detection.

RIP - 2005 A6 4.2 - (February 2005 - August 2014) (142,000 miles)

C6 TSB Library link (Thanks to Dr. Cold for his help in setting this up) http://uberlame.com/a6_tsb/

Veteran Member Three Rings JPJ2007's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Seems fine, I cleaned it up and also mixed up some baking soda to ensure it was cleaned up and atleast neutralized.

But it seems to be fine. Of course, I'm not happy about it but I can't do anything about.
    2006 A6 3.2L Quattro S-Line
    1998.5 A4 1.8T sport
    1998 BMW 544i 6speed sport
    92 BMW 325I, 5 speed
    87 325IS, 5 speed
    08 Chevy cobalt (Wifes)

Veteran Member Four Rings superman_006's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    Porsche 996 C2

Thats pretty crappy...... though it does look like once you get everything cleaned up and neutralized that there is no damage
    2005 Audi A6 4.2L Black on Black, Bluetooth, Voice recognition, Nav, rain sensing wipers POWER SHADE (haha).... Smoked blinkers.

Veteran Member Three Rings ben916's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2012 CR-V (sipping gas while I gulp it)

sounds like you got everything rinsed off with baking soda - make sure you get the tire...

It looks like your battery possibly boiled over - maybe overcharging from the alternator?

Keep a box of baking soda with you just in case!
    SOLD - 03 Audi RS6 Avus (905355), Carbon, Sportec cooling, Frozen rotors, EBC Reds, Aces 4, Apikol, Phaetons, Plus Pedals, Aluminum paddle shifters, KomfortBlinker, Hotchkis, RNS-E