Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Cool joeryu's 2012 Brilliant Black S4 Prestige Ti Build / Introductory Thread

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    Hi Everyone,

So I've been lurking the forums ever since I decided on getting the 2012 S4 as my next car back in November of last year. I came from a 2003 Mazda 6i 2.3 4 cylinder, 4-speed automatic. Slower than snails, but it was my baby and I loved her till the end. With that said, the S4 has been quite the upgrade. I remember the first time I really fell in 'love' with a car, it was the 3rd gen Mazda RX-7 (FD) and the B5 S4's (I'm 28 now). As much as I wanted the RX-7 as my first car, I was advised and steered otherwise because of reliability issues and maintenance costs. I had saved up around 13k for a used car, so my choices were fairly limited. After my mom having issues with my 2nd choice at that time also, (Camaro Z28 w/LS1), she offered to help pay to finance the rest and get me into a new car. As much as the used-car deals were enticing, I ended up taking her up on her offer and got myself into a new Mazda 6. Loved how it looked, and I always had a thing for sedans... I could go on and on about that car, it was my first car/first love.

Fast forward to November: finally got myself to a place where I can financially manage the payments and have minimal responsibilities / ie. single, no mortgage payments, etc. I figure it's now or never =). Sooo, I decided to spec out a 2012 S4 JUST to my liking... I was literally getting one of my favorite cars as a kid and wanted to have it exactly the way I wanted it. I had asked the dealer for a 2012 Phantom Black Pearl S4 Prestige w/ Ti Package, 6spd MT, Sports Rear Diff, Black Alcantara (for some reason I never liked leather), Carbon Fiber Trim, and Powered Rear Sunshades. He tells me 4 months to custom order, nothing like that in the pipeline. I read up more about the DSG and really liked what I saw and decided to go test drive one. Boy am I glad I did, I instantly fell in love and was sold. I was also swayed back to the Brilliant Black from Phantom Black; after seeing them side by side in person when I went in to test drive I really liked how deep and endless the Brilliant Black looked. Well what do you know, once I switched over those 2 options he tells me there is one sitting in Port 20 miles away! (I live in San Diego) That weekend was an absolute blur as I was getting all my paperwork together and deciding if I wanted to trade in my 6 or not. It was a little hard at first but it became real easy once I found out I can pick the car up in 2-3 days...

Fast forward (too fast) to right now: its been an absolute dream to own and drive this car these past couple months. I'm actually really glad I got the DSG as my work commute is stop-and-go both ways and I know I would have gotten tired of shifting all the time. Yes I know the DSG is not perfect, but its pretty darn close for me and I've learned to work with it. The acceleration off the line and through corners is amazing; the interior is elegant sport-luxury; looks are sleek and classic. I absolutely love it; you should see the smile on my face as I drive to work every morning

The mods list is fairly tame (for now); you guys have shown me there's so much that can be done to this car! The first thing I did was take out my front license plate and put the front plate filler on; I personally hate the look of them. I never put them on my Mazda 6 and ended up with 3 fix-it tickets over the course of 9 years so I'm fine with that. Next I put the Supercharged badges on, definitely wasn't a fan of the V6T badge. For the tint I went with Llumar 35% all around; was going to do darker in the rears but installer (SD Motorsports) convinced me to go same shade all around, also noting that I had the rear sunshades that I can put up if I want it darker in the rear. For radar I installed the V1 (hardwired), with concealed display sitting on the center speaker/vent area on the dash. I also installed the AWE Vent Boost Guage, keeps the stock look and still retains some of the vent air/pressure. All VAG-COM mods are done (disable warnings, DRL Wink, show oil temp/lap timer, dvd in motion, etc)

So I recently tried to take off my rear bumper so I can plastidip the rear valence/lip, but I (for the life of me) could not get the bumper clips off on the drivers side rear. I had gotten the passenger's side off fairly w/o nearly as much force. At this point, I didn't want to have nothing to show for the whole ordeal so I decided to at least plastidip the bottom lip, as that was screwed on with 9 torx screws that I was able to reach by pulling one (unclipped) side of the bumper down. I actually really like how it came out; its very subtle but adds a nice contrast to the rear. I have pics, so you guys can help be the judge of that.

My order of mods next are going to be Xpel, GIAC Tune, and Milltek exhaust w/x-pipe, in that order.

OK enough babbling, here are some pictures.

Let me know what you guys think, glad to be joining such a knowledgeable and active community!

-Joe
    Last edited by joeryu; 03-01-2012 at 01:37 AM.

Established Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

I must say, that color is beautiful.

AZ Member #

What an upgrade I must say :) I bet your loving your new baby.

Love the all blacked-out look! Congrats!
    2010 PB A5 Quattro | 2.0 TFSI Stronic | REVO Stage II | EC FMIC/HFC/AK | Custom Cat-Back | 19x9.5 Nurburgrings MGM | APR Intake | AWE Gauge Kit | ST Coils | RS6 Wheel | RS5 Pedals | Stronic Knob | Custom Sline mats | HOEN | Rieger | Tints | SPC | HID & USP LEDs | Custom Sline Valance

Senior Member Three Rings egalley's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2010 S4, 2010 Volvo XC60 R Design Polestar

Congrats on the new car and welcome!!
    2010 S4, S-Tronic, Premium, Ibis White
    Navi, B&O, Carbon, ADS with Diff. APR Stage II ECU, APR Pulley, Hyperflow Intake, 35% tint
    APR exhaust with Diamond Black tips. Alu Kreuz. H&R OE Sport Springs. AP Racing BBK, ADV07.TS Wheels

Veteran Member Four Rings
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2002 1.8T B6 A4 low miles - Wifey's car (Silver on black)

Welcome to the club!
    I like cars, cigars, and business.
    2011 B8 S4 (Deval/Apikol/Eurocode/Milltek/H&R/AWE/P3/EuroTechMS)

Senior Member Three Rings Psalm40's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2011 MB GL450, 2011 BMW 135i vert, 2012 Range Rover SuperCharged

PERFECT! Think about a CF splitter and rear diffuser instead of the plasti-dip. You may find a nice used set for cheap.
    PS - Nice 1series! 128? I LOVE mine. Unfortunately it has been neglected in the garage for a few months due to the WI winter.
    2012 Phantom Black, Black Silver Nappa, 6MT, Prestige Audi S4 - Built 8/26/11, In port 9/23/11, Delivery 10/3/11, pick up 10/21/11
    Alu Kreuz, APR/Carbonio intake stage I&II, CF splitter, CF Diffuser, R8 engine caps, Laser Interceptor Dual, Hardwired V1, Front PPF, WeatherTech Mats, interior and plate LEDs, VAG-Com, Stratmosphere short-throw shifter, Hoen xenon-match fogs, MORR VS8.2 20"x9 et 35brushed with double tint finish, Ventus V12 255/30/20, H&R OE Sport springs.

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    lawn mower

Wow - looks nice.
    2010 Audi S4 | DSG | Prestige | Ibis | Sport Diff | B&O | AG M310 19" Black | 30% Tint | Bel Sti-r+| Alpine Rearview Cam | Stratmosphere Intake | LEDs
    Click Here for My Mod Thread

Senior Member Three Rings 2011_S4's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2014 Ford Fiesta ST, 1979 Datsun B210, 2001 Infiniti QX4

Very nice! Brilliant black looks amazing when clean.
    2014 RS5 | ibis white | black nappa | titanium package w/ sport exhaust

SOLD - 2011 S4 | premium | meteor gray | black nappa | s-tronic | sport diff | milltek non-res exhaust w/ downpipes | supercharged badges | b&o | carbon atlas | pilot super sport 255/35/19 | 40% tint | roc-euro intake | vmr v710 19x9.5 et 45

Stage 3 Forum Advertiser Three Rings John@TAG's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Nice! Congrats on the car and great write up!

If you are looking for GIAC, stop by the shop (not far from you) and you can take a test drive of our project S4 and do the tune.

-John
    TAG MOTORSPORTS
    (866) 748-4388
    Web: www.TAGMotorsports.com
    Email: john@tagmotorsports.com
    Authorized Dealer For: HRE, AWE Tuning, GIAC, ABT, KW, Modulare Wheels, FORGESTAR, Quicksilver Exhausts, Vossen, Milltek, Prior Design, Tubi, STASIS, BBS, Brembo, ADV.1, Remus, Eisenmann, H&R, VarrsToen, Pirelli, Michelin, Falken & more.

"San Diego's Premier Aftermarket Tuning Facility"

Senior Member Three Rings
    AZ Member #

Welcome to the San Diego S4 club. What part of town are you in? Car looks great btw
    2011 Audi S4 | 6MT | Ibis/Black Silk Nappa | Nav l B&O | Sport Diff | Carbon Inlays | H&R l Strat Intake l Strat SS l Alu Kreuz l AWE Exhaust l AG M510 20x10 et35

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Thanks everyone!

Yea the brilliant black looks amazing when clean... takes some loving to keep it like that. That's where the Porter Cable comes in handy

I've looked at the Carbon fiber rear diffuser, but it looks a little too aggressive for me, personal tastes.
    I live right by Hillcrest / Balboa Park, work up north in Sorrento Valley.

The BMW in the pictures is my roommate's 2009 135i 6MT w/M Sports Package, I drove him to Arizona (I wanted to hurry and break in my car) to pick it up a week and a half after I picked up my car. I was at 1200 miles leaving the Scottsdale, AZ BMW dealership.. needless to say we had a BLAST driving back. That 135i is a little crotch rocket. Definitely not as fine-tuned and elegant as the S4.. but its sportier, sounds meaner, and as much as I hate to admit it, its a hair quicker than the s4 stock... that's why the GIAC tune will soon have to come

Senior Member Three Rings Psalm40's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2011 MB GL450, 2011 BMW 135i vert, 2012 Range Rover SuperCharged

Hmmm...Those BMW wheels don't look like the 135i M-Sport 18"s? Maybe a n54/2009 thing.

There are two different S4 CF rear diffuser options. I have the cheaper one that goes over the original piece...I think it originally came from ModBargains. There is also the more complicated/expensive/aggressive one (see Phil@DetailersDomain's car). The over-lay one basically just changes the colour.
    2012 Phantom Black, Black Silver Nappa, 6MT, Prestige Audi S4 - Built 8/26/11, In port 9/23/11, Delivery 10/3/11, pick up 10/21/11
    Alu Kreuz, APR/Carbonio intake stage I&II, CF splitter, CF Diffuser, R8 engine caps, Laser Interceptor Dual, Hardwired V1, Front PPF, WeatherTech Mats, interior and plate LEDs, VAG-Com, Stratmosphere short-throw shifter, Hoen xenon-match fogs, MORR VS8.2 20"x9 et 35brushed with double tint finish, Ventus V12 255/30/20, H&R OE Sport springs.

Great Choice in going with the brilliant black on black with titanium pkg. I would like to see some close up pics of the rear valance you dipped please!

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by Psalm40 View Post
    Hmmm...Those BMW wheels don't look like the 135i M-Sport 18"s? Maybe a n54/2009 thing.

There are two different S4 CF rear diffuser options. I have the cheaper one that goes over the original piece...I think it originally came from ModBargains. There is also the more complicated/expensive/aggressive one (see Phil@DetailersDomain's car). The over-lay one basically just changes the colour.

Ah ic, I've only seen the aggressive styled one and it was too much for me. Stock/OEM shape with just the CF might be much better, I will look into that.

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby@PYSpeed.com View Post
    Great Choice in going with the brilliant black on black with titanium pkg. I would like to see some close up pics of the rear valance you dipped please!
    Thanks, I'll get some close-up pictures up later today, just have to dust the layer of pollen off her. She turns yellow every day @ my parking lot at work =\. Haven't really seen too many people plasti-dip just the bottom lip; i've seen it reverse where they dip the bigger valence and leave the lip titanium. I don't know if it was the same for everyone, but the bottom lip was fairly rough in texture / not very even paint spray so when i took it off i gave it a good sanding before plasti-dipping it. 3-4 coats and it came out perfect.

Established Member Two Rings northerns4's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Any pics of the Plasti-dip rear?

I have the same build but DSG / Magma and Im one week away!

The wait is killing me..
    '01.5 B5 S4 - Santorin- Wetterauer Chip - APR Bipipe - UUC VM3 exhaust - 18" BBS CH powdercoated Matte black - Eibach Pro Kit - APR snub mount - OEM RS4 Front Bumper - E codes - Stage 3 50 watt 6500K Xenon - Ocarbon 4x4 carbon fiber Inlays - M3 spoiler - Forge Diverter - APR Bipipe -
    '12 B8 S4 - Phantom - Premium - DSG - Black Optics - Atlas Carbon - B and O - Red Magma - Sport Diff - Nav with Parking - 19" Titanium 5 Arm Rotor Style - Supercharge Badged - Mods Begin ! -