Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Veteran Member Four Rings 00SantorinS4's Avatar
    AZ Member #

2001 1.8t engine sounds like a diesel- need help *VID*

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    Hey guys, I have a buddy that purchased an 01 1.8t Auto with 82k miles. He purchased it with a blown turbo and the engine sounding the way it does in this video (he got the car for next to nothing from a family member and is looking to fix and resell it) We have since replaced the turbo with a stock K03 and did the timing belt/water pump $300 ECS kit. We also replaced the Cam chain tensioner in the back of the motor because the lower guide was broken, we thought that was the noise. We put Mobile 1 synthetic 5w30 with the correct amount of oil in the engine. I've seen/heard 1.8t's make this noise if there's too little/too much oil in the engine but we have the perfect amount in there. In the video there's a pretty strong ear piercing sound (try to forget that as it's the air pump to the egr, apparently the pipe is cracked making a high pitched noise) We are not able to figure out what this noise is. When fully warmed up and under load it does smoke, not sure if that's the residual from doing the cam tensioner or not. Oil light is on on the center DIS. I cleared the codes with my VC and restarted the motor and checked again. We are getting one code:

18014 - Rough Road/Engine Torque Signal from ABS: Electrical Malfunction
    P1606 - 35-00 - -

I'm not sure if this has anything to do with the motor as I believe he has a faulty ABS control module that needs repair.
    Timing on the car is fine, it idles fine, no misfire codes.

Last edited by 00SantorinS4; 02-27-2012 at 11:51 AM.
    2001 Audi S4 2.7TQM ** Brilliant Black - Silicone Hoses|APR Snub Mount|710Ns|//J-Fonz Tuned|AWE Gauge|AWE S-Flo|Darintake|H&R Sports

Veteran Member Four Rings andyrew's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    02 Allroad, 98 A4, 73 Porsche 914 v8, 13 Genesis Coupe 2.0t, 02 Kawasaki ZX6R
    Items for Sale

Holy high pitch squeal, my speakers didnt like that.

Sounds like an exhaust leak. Check header bolts.
    98 A4 1.8TQM 160k miles
    Apr Stage 3, Comp Turbo CTB5356 (10psi) / FMIC by Greedspeed/ Cone intake/ Borla exhaust/ Test pipe/ Apexi boost controller/ Stage 4 SB clutch/ Spec 16lb FW/ Koni Coil overs/ H+R rear 22mm rear sway with welded mount support/ In dash GPS mount / AWE Drivetrain stabilizer/ Urethaned trani, motor, and rear end mounts/ 255awhp, 0-60 4.9, 1/4mile 13.57@100mph, 1.04 G's See it in action

AZ Member #

yeah sorry about the high pitched noise it's really annoying in the video. I don't believe it's an exhaust leak as it sounds more engine/mechanical and we did have the turbo off the mani and didn't notice anything.
    2001 Audi S4 2.7TQM ** Brilliant Black - Silicone Hoses|APR Snub Mount|710Ns|//J-Fonz Tuned|AWE Gauge|AWE S-Flo|Darintake|H&R Sports

Established Member Two Rings Symon's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Did it start after you replaced the turbo?
    2001 Audi A4, AWM Engine; Automatic; Stock everything as of now

AZ Member #

Yeah it starts mint

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

He means did the sound start after you installed the turbo not if the car literally started.

AZ Member #

Sorry read it wrong! No the engine sound you hear was making the noise before we did all that stuff. We were really hoping that after the turbo was replaced/timing done/cam chain tensioner done/fresh oil change the car wouldn't make that noise anymore.

Veteran Member Four Rings walky_talky20's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Does it still make the noise if you remove the oil cap? Have you tested that the combi valve isn't stuck open? (FYI, the 1.8T has no EGR)
    ^Don't listen to this guy, he's not even a mechanic.
    2001 Laser Red A4 1.8TQM, 5-Speed Swapped, APR 93, Splitter, electronic oil pressure gauge, B6 Sport 17's, ST Coilovers,
    Need to borrow a Cam Chain Tensioner Tool? $4 for shipping. PM me. *Available*

AZ Member #

Yes, the noise is still present when the oil cap is removed while idle.

My buddy is going to be dropping the oil pan and cleaning the pickup tube, it almost sounds like not enough oil is getting to the top of the head?

Established Member Three Rings morzechowski's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    500whp 1.8t, 2500HD Duramax

hard to tell from video. but if you think oil is not getting to the head check this.

"behing the oil filter housing (you need to remove it from the block) there is a little spring//plunger that controls oil pressure to the head, it's probably shut and not letting any oil to the head. when we blew the headgasket hard on the dyno like you did massive presure occured and jammed that plunger so when we fixed the hg it started right away but sounnded like a diesel/dry lifter but noise never went away, un jammedthat plunger problem solved. this was on a 06a block sure they all have it. not sure if that is the noise if it is i would check. or just remove valve cover crank it over with fuel pump off and see if oil make it;s way to the top if it does not then you have the problem i just told you. good luck"

quoted from: http://motorgeek.com/viewtopic.php?f...050&start=1075
    I like George Michaels

AZ Member #

I forgot to mention that when we changed the cam chain tensioner the lower guide was snapped into pieces so the head -could- be F'ed and that's why it makes that noise?
    Like I said it's always made that noise since he purchased it to fix.