Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Senior Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2004 A4 1.8, 2008 A4 2.0, 2000 Porsche Boxster

Parts came for my APR Stage 1+ prep:)

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    Going to do a little work this weekend in prep for my APR Stage 1+:) Except for the injectors that is... those I'll have to do just before or after I go to the dealer for the flash.
    I have two more coil packs at home too... I hope the DV, plugs and coils help pep it up a bit too before the chip and injectors!

Veteran Member Three Rings android3000's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    '04 1.8t USP 6mt

Very nice. I love the feeling of getting a nice big box of parts in the mail
    -Andrew
    Frankenturbo/GIAC

Senior Member Three Rings
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    Few mk1's LHD & RHD and few other German makes

cool, you will love it once you get APR Stage 1+.

Be interesting to understand what people have gone regards upgrades before they have done any Stage1, Stage1+, Stage 2 etc upgrades and what people found worked and didn't.

I know when I did this, I was advised to stay away from APR DV and get either Forged DV or Audi TT DV. I also heard that VW guys use Madmax DV as say they are great, not sure if they work on Audi's.

What did you order as your pre-equipment? Also have you upgraded your exhaust system or air filter?

Senior Member Four Rings Charles.waite's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    Items for Sale

Jealous. Been itching to buy some 386s and go 1+ but only once I sort out my engine and get it running tip top. Stage 1 is fine for now I suppose. Anyway there's no point when I've got a boost leak.
    -CP
    USP CLUB MEMBER #136
    2004 A4 1.8TQ 6MT USP - APR Stage 1+ - FSI Coils - BKR7EIX-11 - 034 Rear Swaybar (Soft Setting) and Endlinks - B6S4 Front + B7A4 Rear Brakes - 034 Street Trans Mount
    2008 Brilliant Black Unicorn (2.0t S-Line Ti 6MT Avant) - Bosch FR6KPP332S
    SOLD -- 2006 A4 2.0TQ Avant Tiptronic

Veteran Member Four Rings
    AZ Member #

Even with Stage 1+ this car is slow as f*ck.

Save your money and buy new car.

I kind of regret getting full exhaust and all the toys after some gonzalez in chevy blazer smoked me....

Veteran Member Four Rings EErie B6's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    Honda HRX

The part OP will regret is the "APR" part.

Nothing wrong with their tunes as they are buttery smooth... There is just no where to go (worth going) after stg 1+. You are basically stuck.

OP should go with REVO that way when he wants to go BT (so his car is actually decently fast) he can for an affordable price.
    -John

Veteran Member Four Rings
    AZ Member #

I am having really bad luck with revo and their customer support is not the best...

If OP wants to keep the car for some time i would definitely go with maestro.

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    Honda HRX

^ true

You got me. That would be a smarter choice.
    -John

Senior Member Three Rings Gmoney's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    05 Audi A4TQM

I have APR software and I would definitely urge the OP to try something else if you ever plan on going bigger than Stage 2. Unitronics, Revo, Maestro etc.

Don't get me wrong I love APR software. It's easy to use and has some nice features. But if you ever plan to go to at least an Eliminator turbo go a different route.
    APR stage 2+, CM FX400, LWFW, APR snub mount, JHM short throw, RAI TP, Forge DV, RS4 rear sway bar, Vogtland Coilovers, Thor belly pan. 19's staggered.

AZ Member #
    Items for Sale

I think Revo has the best upgrade path.

If I wanted more than a normal GT-series BT, Maestro would be the best option...although I think a lot of people don't realize that they themselves probably aren't capable of writing their own tune.

Senior Member Four Rings CrazyCal's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    Items for Sale

I think the biggest I'll ever go is a K04, so APR would probably work just great for me... depends on how far you want to go.
    ~Calvin
    2004 Audi A4 1.8T /// 6-Speed /// quattro /// Moro Blue Pearl
    || motoza tuned gt2871r elim || b7 thermal r&d exhaust || ns sport w/ b5 seats || v718 sunken treasure

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    Honda HRX

K04 would probably be a huge disappointment. That is a lot of coin to shell out for maybe 20hp.

Hp is addicting. The more you have, the more you want.
    -John

Senior Member Four Rings CrazyCal's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    Items for Sale

Quote Originally Posted by EErie B6 View Post
    K04 would probably be a huge disappointment. That is a lot of coin to shell out for maybe 20hp.

Hp is addicting. The more you have, the more you want.
    Truly only 20hp??? OMG that's terrible. I figured I'd at least get 30-40.

I just don't want to go to the trouble of changing the manifold, etc. just to get a different turbo to fit. And i don't want so much HP I have to upgrade my transmission.

I figured: Injectors, Exhaust, High-Flow Cat, Downpipe, K04, inlet/outlet pipes, Tune... Wouldn't that net me somewhere in the 240-250 AWHP?
    ~Calvin
    2004 Audi A4 1.8T /// 6-Speed /// quattro /// Moro Blue Pearl
    || motoza tuned gt2871r elim || b7 thermal r&d exhaust || ns sport w/ b5 seats || v718 sunken treasure

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    Honda HRX

Sadly, yes.

Standard K04-015 that an APR K04 Tune calls for, yea the difference is 15-20hp IIRC. Maxxed with everything you can expect about 190-200, maybe 210 on a happy dyno.

A FrankenTurbo and all supporting mods will get you somewhere around 240 with a good agressive (probably custom) tune (Read: not APR)
    -John

Forum Moderator Four Rings docurley's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Ahh yes but the power is quite strong low down the rev range making it a great option around town plus if you pick up one cheap your quids in.

Pro's & Con's
    Black Audi RS4 2006 |Exclusive edition |Black optic |SS+ Suspension |Carbon trim + handbrake & Gearknob |BMC filter |LED'S in & out |carbon oil spliter |Aux Rad delete |CAI |B8 RS4 window switches |

Senior Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #
    My Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Antekaudi View Post
    Even with Stage 1+ this car is slow as f*ck.

Save your money and buy new car.

I kind of regret getting full exhaust and all the toys after some gonzalez in chevy blazer smoked me....

I'm not that concerned with speed, if I was I'd buy a Vette...
    I also have a B7 S-Line (Charcoal) and a Boxster (Silver) in the garage as well, so if I feel the need I have options. But truthfully, I like this B6 just as much! I had a B5.5 for 10+ years with full APR stage 1. Cat back etc. LOVED IT!

In prep for the Stage 1+...
    For this B6 I have only done the DV, plugs (new coil packs for giggles)... I'll do a few more mods but not many. I might just do a test pipe and leave the stock exhaust until it needs replacing...
    That's really about it... (I also did the timing belt etc a couple weeks ago)
    I'm looking forward to getting back into turning a wrench!

Veteran Member Four Rings boy412's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    1988 Alpineweiß 325iC

Quote Originally Posted by madone_si View Post
    What did you order as your pre-equipment?
    Looks like Bosch 386cc injectors, 710n DV, BKR7E plugs, and Revision "D" coil packs.
    ~Eric
    '03 Ming Blue A4 Avant 1.8TQM | GTRS | Maestro | Spec Stage III+ | Vogtlant GT's | JHM trio | STE PPD | OEM+

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    mountain bikes, snowboard, tools, rubbish

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyCal View Post
    Truly only 20hp??? OMG that's terrible. I figured I'd at least get 30-40.

I just don't want to go to the trouble of changing the manifold, etc. just to get a different turbo to fit. And i don't want so much HP I have to upgrade my transmission.

I figured: Injectors, Exhaust, High-Flow Cat, Downpipe, K04, inlet/outlet pipes, Tune... Wouldn't that net me somewhere in the 240-250 AWHP?

the peak gain with a K04 is only about 20hp, iirc, i think you're right on that.
    however if you look at the graphs, there's a whole knut-tonne of area under the curve low down, so it will feel like a pretty decent gain.
    that being said, i would personally not get a K04, i'm going Franken on Unitronic tune shortly (i know i've been talking about it forever, but seriously its going to happen, lol)
    2005 A4 1.8tqm - black on black - FRANKENTURBO, 440cc, 034 HFC, stealth exhaust, 18" enkei EKM3, Bilstein sport/H&R, RS4 rear sway, Precision FMIC w custom piping, HP2, Podi, R1DV

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    mountain bikes, snowboard, tools, rubbish

Quote Originally Posted by EErie B6 View Post
    Sadly, yes.

Standard K04-015 that an APR K04 Tune calls for, yea the difference is 15-20hp IIRC. Maxxed with everything you can expect about 190-200, maybe 210 on a happy dyno.

A FrankenTurbo and all supporting mods will get you somewhere around 240 with a good agressive (probably custom) tune (Read: not APR)
    to clarify here, sir, you are talking awhp, correct? i've read the franken threads multiple times, and the crank numbers are close to 285. please correct me if i'm mistaken
    2005 A4 1.8tqm - black on black - FRANKENTURBO, 440cc, 034 HFC, stealth exhaust, 18" enkei EKM3, Bilstein sport/H&R, RS4 rear sway, Precision FMIC w custom piping, HP2, Podi, R1DV

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    Honda HRX

Quote Originally Posted by KM4N View Post
    to clarify here, sir, you are talking awhp, correct? i've read the franken threads multiple times, and the crank numbers are close to 285. please correct me if i'm mistaken
    Yes, i was talking about awhp.
    Theoretically, being that it is a 31lb/min turbo, it should be capable of about 310 crank hp. (given the right setup)

With 310 crank hp, figure in your 20-25% drivetrain loss for a quattro car and that puts you in the 235-245awhp ballpark that you are seeing in the thread.
    -John

Veteran Member Four Rings vinny.dtw's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    12 R8 / 04 A4 / 11 STi / 93 300SE
    Items for Sale

Don't waste your time on all this 1+ 2+ -3 etc etc. Get a bigger turbo. I wish I skipped the whole APR 1/1+ train, and went straight to what i have now. Go big or go home.

Veteran Member Four Rings Pothole's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2004 Audi A4 1.8T Quattro 6Spd, 1997 Jetta Trek

^ if we had the money I think we all would

but between work and college, Stage 1+ is fine........until I pay off the car then were going bigger
    Please Drive Right

FS: TT ballast, GTI Stock Springs, 2.0 Cams

Senior Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #
    My Garage

I think, for my needs, the 1+ is just fine...

All I'm looking for guys is just a bit more umphh out of the car. Not a racer! Based on my experience with my chipped B5.5, the APR chip is a great decision!

Senior Member Four Rings Charles.waite's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    Items for Sale

Quote Originally Posted by vinny.dtw View Post
    Don't waste your time on all this 1+ 2+ -3 etc etc. Get a bigger turbo. I wish I skipped the whole APR 1/1+ train, and went straight to what i have now. Go big or go home.
    I get this sentiment and if we were all shooting for big HP then I would agree. But the fact of the matter is we are all different and we all have different goals for our cars.

Having had a NA 330hp RWD car I can honestly say it was an absolute blast to drive, but the power is wasted in a DD. There were times where teh power was great, but sitting in traffic, I almost would have preferred a stock 1.8t. Ok well stage 1.

My point is the Stage 1+ is good enough in many respects to satisfy the power urge 90% of the time where I drive. The other 10% I do wish I had more power, but I can live with that. Lots of us just want to be able to have a fun DD that isn't a money pit or complete hassle to get a build finished on. A k04 is a relatively drop in solution that retains a good deal of the OEM factor and for those reasons its still pretty viable option despite the FT being a better power producer and the eliminator kits offering more as well. I mean Vinny, you can't tell us with a straight face your build has gone remotely smoothly!

Were I ever to upgrade my turbo, it would be REALLY hard to justify (personally) spending that much on something for my 8+ y/o car.

If I lived my life a quarter mile at a time, I might PM Jesse to hook me up though...

In conclusion, I support the OP. Also the 1+ upgrade is a pretty cheap option so why not.

Edit: I thought about this a bit more and realised the GTRS kits aren't that much more for what they put out, but its still in the ballpark of $2k for an ATP kit, without tune and install. As I don't think I would be up to the task of installing the turbo myself, I would have to pay a shop, which means more cash and the possibility of them fucking it up. Either way the GTRS is about as big as I would go, so to me thats the upper end. Couple that with the increased wear and tear and potential for aftermarket parts to break and the prospect becomes much less rosy. Not saying it doesn't make sense, but for those of us with less lofty goals, a simple k04 makes a lot of sense.
    Last edited by Charles.waite; 02-24-2012 at 11:25 AM.
    -CP
    USP CLUB MEMBER #136
    2004 A4 1.8TQ 6MT USP - APR Stage 1+ - FSI Coils - BKR7EIX-11 - 034 Rear Swaybar (Soft Setting) and Endlinks - B6S4 Front + B7A4 Rear Brakes - 034 Street Trans Mount
    2008 Brilliant Black Unicorn (2.0t S-Line Ti 6MT Avant) - Bosch FR6KPP332S
    SOLD -- 2006 A4 2.0TQ Avant Tiptronic