Originally Posted by vinny.dtw
I get this sentiment and if we were all shooting for big HP then I would agree. But the fact of the matter is we are all different and we all have different goals for our cars.
Having had a NA 330hp RWD car I can honestly say it was an absolute blast to drive, but the power is wasted in a DD. There were times where teh power was great, but sitting in traffic, I almost would have preferred a stock 1.8t. Ok well stage 1.
My point is the Stage 1+ is good enough in many respects to satisfy the power urge 90% of the time where I drive. The other 10% I do wish I had more power, but I can live with that. Lots of us just want to be able to have a fun DD that isn't a money pit or complete hassle to get a build finished on. A k04 is a relatively drop in solution that retains a good deal of the OEM factor and for those reasons its still pretty viable option despite the FT being a better power producer and the eliminator kits offering more as well. I mean Vinny, you can't tell us with a straight face your build has gone remotely smoothly!
Were I ever to upgrade my turbo, it would be REALLY hard to justify (personally) spending that much on something for my 8+ y/o car.
If I lived my life a quarter mile at a time, I might PM Jesse to hook me up though...
In conclusion, I support the OP. Also the 1+ upgrade is a pretty cheap option so why not.
Edit: I thought about this a bit more and realised the GTRS kits aren't that much more for what they put out, but its still in the ballpark of $2k for an ATP kit, without tune and install. As I don't think I would be up to the task of installing the turbo myself, I would have to pay a shop, which means more cash and the possibility of them fucking it up. Either way the GTRS is about as big as I would go, so to me thats the upper end. Couple that with the increased wear and tear and potential for aftermarket parts to break and the prospect becomes much less rosy. Not saying it doesn't make sense, but for those of us with less lofty goals, a simple k04 makes a lot of sense.