Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Senior Member Three Rings b7a4GT30's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    b7 a4 2.0T 6MT

Squeaking noise coming from engine bay 2.0t

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    So this problem all started over a year ago. At first there would be a squeaking noise coming from the engine bay on cold start ups and would go away after a few mins of driving. Brought it to bell Audi and they said it was the accessory belt and that it wasn't covered under warranty. I had 35k miles and was still under the factory warranty and have a CPO warranty and they wouldn't do anything to help. I said forget it and left. The noise continued to bother me and about 3 months later I bring it to Flemington Audi. The tech does something (belt dressing) and the noise stopped for about a month or so. Then the noise now started to happen all the time. No matter how hot or cold or how long I drive it the noise is always there. The exact noise that it sounds like is from greensto's video (google b7 a4 squeaking noise from engine bay). I bring the car to bell Audi again and the service rep tells me that it was one of the timing belt tensioners and that they would replace it under warranty. Got the car back and the noise is still there all the time. I was too lazy to bring the car back because I'm tired of going back an forth with no fix. I'm asking the audiZine community to see if any of you have any suggestions before I go back to the dealer yet again...?

Ps. I searched and read the timing belt thread so I'm aware of that but I doubt they would replace that under warranty...

Any ideas?
    2007 B7 A4 2.0T 6MT

RNS-E | Rs4 Rear Sway Bar
    OEM Bi-Xenons | Bilstein / HR
    DTM Sport Shift Knob | AWE Boost Gauge
    Custom V1 Display | RS4 Steering Wheel

More to come!!

Veteran Member Four Rings jimrobbington's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    07 Suzuki SV650
    Items for Sale

I have same squeak. Haven't done anything about it yet, but I was told it was the serpentine belt needs replacing. ~$200 at my shop to take care of.
    05.5 A4 2.0T 6spd, JHM stage 1, stage 1 HPFPupgrade, Vast Stage 3 clutch, VMR test pipe, custom non-res 2.5" turbo back Techtonics exhaust, Borla mufflers, wastegate adjustment, TR6 FMIC, custom CAI, 034 catch can, snub, and MM, 145 bar prv, evap canister delete, JHM SS, KW V1's, 19" V710's, ABT drilled/slotted rotors, Akebono pads, Podi boost gauge, 640 Mod, 20% tint, baby seat.

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    07 Suzuki SV650
    Items for Sale

I was told to try this, but haven't yet.

While the engine is running, spray brake kleen on the serpentine belt. If it stops squeaking, then you know that is the problem.
    05.5 A4 2.0T 6spd, JHM stage 1, stage 1 HPFPupgrade, Vast Stage 3 clutch, VMR test pipe, custom non-res 2.5" turbo back Techtonics exhaust, Borla mufflers, wastegate adjustment, TR6 FMIC, custom CAI, 034 catch can, snub, and MM, 145 bar prv, evap canister delete, JHM SS, KW V1's, 19" V710's, ABT drilled/slotted rotors, Akebono pads, Podi boost gauge, 640 Mod, 20% tint, baby seat.

Veteran Member Four Rings doublezero30's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    08 BMW 135i grey/red leather
    Items for Sale

Quote Originally Posted by jimrobbington View Post
    I was told to try this, but haven't yet.

While the engine is running, spray brake kleen on the serpentine belt. If it stops squeaking, then you know that is the problem.
    wtf! do not try that!!!!! brake cleaner will eat your belt up. they have shit called belt dressing that will do what youre describing.

also, replace the belt yourself man it litterally takes 15 minutes! if you look at the belt and you see its dried and/or cracked you know its time to replace.
    -Nate

07 Ibis White A4 S-Line Ti Package [SOLD]
    B7A4 Build Thread: http://www.audizine.com/forum/showth...58#post7310258

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    07 Suzuki SV650
    Items for Sale

You could do this:

Senior Member Four Rings bman005's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    06 GTI

with the engine running put a wrench on the serp belt tensioner and loosen the tension slightly, if the noise goes away it is serp belt related. If not it timing belt related
    New Build, 2010 Tiguan. Details to com

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    b7 a4 2.0T 6MT

ok lol thats not going to happen on a b7 lol. But i will try the wrench method once it stops snowing and will report back!
    2007 B7 A4 2.0T 6MT

More to come!!

Established Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

I had the same issue and it was a timing belt roller, since it was under warranty the dealer went through all the trouble to get to it and change it only.
    ACNA Member
    03 RS 6
    08 A4 2.0TQ

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    07 Suzuki SV650
    Items for Sale

bman: Any diagram as to which bolt is the tensioner? I want to do this this weekend. Any diy on replacing it?

Registered Member Four Rings Rodmar's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    None

bman: Any diagram as to which bolt is the tensioner? I want to do this this weekend. Any diy on replacing it?
    I just had a question about this the other day and there should be a post of mine if I can find the link ill link it. I bought the belt to change because now my car constantly squeels, it used to just be on cold start and it would go away, but either way I have a link ill try and get ya showing where the belt is and I might be able to show you what you have to turn slightly to release tension.

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    None

Here's the link to my thread http://www.audizine.com/forum/showth...t-and-location

Here's the link also showing how the belt needs to be on when done
    http://www.audizine.com/forum/showth...ng-Belt-Change

Here's a pic of the belt
    http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c3...20Belt/P11.jpg

Here's a pic of the tensioner

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    07 Suzuki SV650
    Items for Sale

Thanks! you don't have to remove all that bullshit to do this, do you?

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    None

I haven't done the change yet, been to cold to stand outside in the wind and do it lol, but I will soon. I was also thinking I'd try taking off the tensioner itself, and regreasing the bearing inside and cleaning it up, and that would be a good start. easy remove seeing as you just have to remove the three bolts on the tensioner, and grease was about 4 bucks at autozone, high temp grease is what you would want, again can take it off, take it inside in the warmth and do it then put it back on and the belt, pretty easy job when I get around to it and might solve the problem if it doesn't a bearing somewhere could be going, a pulley could be, the tensioner itself, and if it's not any of that, then its a timing belt area issue.

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    None

HELL no lol you don't have to go into service mode to do it, just open the hood and take it off, small hands are a plus or just dont wear gloves even if it's cold out and you can take it off.

Addition: It might be a PITA, but work with it, it's just hard to do because it's a tight space

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    b7 a4 2.0T 6MT

so to change the serpentine belt all i have to do is open the hood, turn the nub clockwise to release tension, uninstall belt, install new belt, and then turn nub counter clockwise to increase tension again?
    2007 B7 A4 2.0T 6MT

More to come!!

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    b7 a4 2.0T 6MT

also my noise in constantly squeaking no matter cold or warm and even when my car is fully warmed up it stills squeaks. This is EXACTLY the same noise i have btw: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iMSfJ7zn67o
    2007 B7 A4 2.0T 6MT

More to come!!

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    07 Suzuki SV650
    Items for Sale

That sounds just like mine. Doing a little work to the front end on Monday, I'll try loosening the tensioner and report back results then.

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    06 GTI

@JR are you planning on doin the thermostat?

you don't need the special tool, an allen wrench that fits the holes is strong enough.

And here is the routing

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    06 GTI

Quote Originally Posted by Rodmar View Post
    HELL no lol you don't have to go into service mode to do it, just open the hood and take it off, small hands are a plus or just dont wear gloves even if it's cold out and you can take it off.

Addition: It might be a PITA, but work with it, it's just hard to do because it's a tight space
    It shouldn't take any more than 5-10 minutes to do.

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    07 Suzuki SV650
    Items for Sale

Quote Originally Posted by bman005 View Post
    It shouldn't take any more than 5-10 minutes to do.
    Yet my shop will charge me over $200 with parts. lol. I love them, but sometimes it's like, really? I guess you gotta pay to be ignorant.

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    06 GTI

Yet my shop will charge me over $200 with parts. lol. I love them, but sometimes it's like, really? I guess you gotta pay to be ignorant.
    Sometimes the extra cash is worth it to know the work is being done properly. Piece of mind

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    None

lol maybe in the case of a timing belt job, but not when it comes to just the serp belt, it's so easy to do if it wasn't -1 out id go finally get it done HAHAHA

Senior Member Four Rings ericpaulyoung's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    '08 a4 b7 6MT

You could do this:

Holy shit.
    - Eric

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    07 Suzuki SV650
    Items for Sale

Sometimes the extra cash is worth it to know the work is being done properly. Piece of mind
    Oh I hear you on that one. That's why I paid them $800 to do my clutch.

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    None

BTW just did the belt change today, was a PITA for sure, no space in there and deffintly need 2 sets of hands. but all done.

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    Spare engines!
    Items for Sale

lol maybe in the case of a timing belt job, but not when it comes to just the serp belt, it's so easy to do if it wasn't -1 out id go finally get it done HAHAHA
    Actually when you replace the timing belt, there are marks that show you exactly where to line up everything, pretty simple.
    Clicky Ask me about How to Lie and Make Profits - Frankenturbo style

13.82 @106mph......wait for it............in 8700 DA! On a 2.0T with a Garrett GTX2867r

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    07 Suzuki SV650
    Items for Sale

BTW just did the belt change today, was a PITA for sure, no space in there and deffintly need 2 sets of hands. but all done.
    Soooooo, did it fix the squeak?

Veteran Member Four Rings mr shickadance's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    tucson

Quote Originally Posted by b7a4GT30 View Post
    So this problem all started over a year ago. At first there would be a squeaking noise coming from the engine bay on cold start ups and would go away after a few mins of driving. Brought it to bell Audi and they said it was the accessory belt and that it wasn't covered under warranty. I had 35k miles and was still under the factory warranty and have a CPO warranty and they wouldn't do anything to help. I said forget it and left. The noise continued to bother me and about 3 months later I bring it to Flemington Audi. The tech does something (belt dressing) and the noise stopped for about a month or so. Then the noise now started to happen all the time. No matter how hot or cold or how long I drive it the noise is always there. The exact noise that it sounds like is from greensto's video (google b7 a4 squeaking noise from engine bay). I bring the car to bell Audi again and the service rep tells me that it was one of the timing belt tensioners and that they would replace it under warranty. Got the car back and the noise is still there all the time. I was too lazy to bring the car back because I'm tired of going back an forth with no fix. I'm asking the audiZine community to see if any of you have any suggestions before I go back to the dealer yet again...?

Ps. I searched and read the timing belt thread so I'm aware of that but I doubt they would replace that under warranty...

Any ideas?
    your pcv is blown, this happened to me too
    Scott

2011 S4

America is all about speed, hot, nasty, bad-ass speed - Eleanor Roosevelt

DIY: How to make yourself look like an idiot.

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    tucson

before you go tearing your engine apart, do the PCV test....i am telling you, that is your problem, hot or cold, the squeaking would happen, then it gets louder, and louder, and louder.....its worth the 5 minute check just to see
    Scott

2011 S4

Established Member Two Rings DarkHelmet's Avatar
    AZ Member #

What is this 'test' you speak of?

Quote Originally Posted by mr shickadance View Post
    before you go tearing your engine apart, do the PCV test....i am telling you, that is your problem, hot or cold, the squeaking would happen, then it gets louder, and louder, and louder.....its worth the 5 minute check just to see

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    06 GTI

Quote Originally Posted by mr shickadance View Post
    your pcv is blown, this happened to me too
    I would like to think that a dealership tech would never mistake a bad PCV as a belt noise. The 2 sound nothing alike. PCV sounds as you described and the belt noise while still high pitched has a definite rotational difference to it.

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    None

So far no queaks at all.......I'll let you know later tonight after I let the car sit for awhile, but it sounds and even feels better but that possibly my brain tellin me that. But I drove around town for a bit and didn't hear a thing like I've been hearing so I'm thinking it's fixed.

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    tucson

I would like to think that a dealership tech would never mistake a bad PCV as a belt noise. The 2 sound nothing alike. PCV sounds as you described and the belt noise while still high pitched has a definite rotational difference to it.
    noo they sound incredibly similar, thats what i thought when it first happened bc it only happened when it was cold, then it happened no matter what, then it got louder and louder

it was insanely similar to the sound an a belt does when they get old ....im just sayin before you go all frankestein.....take a few puffs through your breather hose,
    Scott

2011 S4

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    07 Suzuki SV650
    Items for Sale

I have catch can, soooooo at least for me, it must be my belt

Senior Member Four Rings mcpcartier's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    07 A4 2.0T Q 6MT, S-Line, Ti Pkg, Black

So far no queaks at all.......I'll let you know later tonight after I let the car sit for awhile, but it sounds and even feels better but that possibly my brain tellin me that. But I drove around town for a bit and didn't hear a thing like I've been hearing so I'm thinking it's fixed.
    Good job. Did you need to take the belly pan off to get access for snaking the belt into place or did you do it all from above?

Senior Member Four Rings papadelogan's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    1999 F250 7.3 Powerstroke

I have a bit of a squeak and have the BSH PCV Revamp, so I don't think it can be my PCV, though there is a hose left from the OEM parts that is reused.

Where did you source the new belt? I checked Autozone.com and they list 20+ belts when I put in my model, almost all having different lengths!
    2005.5 B7 A4 6MT quattro

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    None

Well it was snowing outside, so it was cold enough to give the car a go, and so far the squeak or squeel is gone after a couple revs, it still does it but no where near as bad, and it's gone within a minute unlike before it would last awhile.

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    b7 a4 2.0T 6MT

I dont think it would be the PCV. However, i am not a mechanic. I will say the dealership told me it was the accessory belt. I think im going to bring it back in and mention some of these pointers that you guys are giving me. If i were to conduct a PCV test, where is the PCV valve and how would i do the test?
    2007 B7 A4 2.0T 6MT

More to come!!

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    b7 a4 2.0T 6MT

Nevermind, i read how to conduct the PCV test by removing the Oil filler cap. If it tests good i will assume its belt/tensioner related with the accessory/ serpentine belt since the noise appears to be louder when moving towards the nose of the engine bay.
    2007 B7 A4 2.0T 6MT

More to come!!

Senior Member Four Rings Charles.waite's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2004 A4 1.8TQ 6MT USP 2006 A4 Avant 2.0T tip
    Items for Sale

Quote Originally Posted by b7a4GT30 View Post
    Nevermind, i read how to conduct the PCV test by removing the Oil filler cap. If it tests good i will assume its belt/tensioner related with the accessory/ serpentine belt since the noise appears to be louder when moving towards the nose of the engine bay.
    Its probably the idler pulley or somethign for the accessory belt. I think there are two actually. One on the end of the tensioner and one that is attached to the block. Sounds like your bearings are on their way out...
    -CP
    USP CLUB MEMBER #136
    2004 A4 1.8TQ 6MT USP - APR Stage 1+ - FSI Coils - BKR7EIX-11 - 034 Rear Swaybar (Soft Setting) and Endlinks - B6S4 Front + B7A4 Rear Brakes - 034 Street Trans Mount
    2008 Black Unicorn (2.0t S-Line Ti 6MT Avant) - Bosch FR6KPP332S
    SOLD -- 2006 A4 2.0TQ Avant Tiptronic stocker - Failing TC Mod

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast