Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Veteran Member Four Rings aaron1085's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2007 2.0T A4

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    I will be using my "stock" BBK pads I got with the Alcon BBK. I will see how those are for DD prior to the trsck day and then on the track and go from there. I just dropped $2200 on it, so I'm not too eager to go buy new pads just yet. I will probably however install my XP8's on the rear as I used them last year at Loudon.
    "The important thing is not to stop questioning. -Albert Einstein"
    "Treat everyone like a million bucks; and always have a plan to kill them"

2007 A4: APR, STaSIS/Alcon, Avant Garde, Hankook, Ohlins

Senior Member Three Rings socfan12's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    MB GL450

Heard good things about the PFCs.

Cylinder misfires? I had it happen 3x times to me, twice on the track that tossed me into limp mode, and one 'silent' misfire that would have gone undetected had I not been scanning for codes a few days later. Someone on the B8 S4 forum had it checked out by the dealer and got his fuel injectors replaced. My dealer could find nothing and said it was bad gas. Since then, I've only used top tier gas and two months going, not a single misfire yet, even after a track event.

Good luck with the misfire - they can be vexing.

DD: 2012 S4 | DSG | BB | Prestige | ADS | Silk Napa | B&O | Nav | Side Assist | Rear Side Airbags | Sun shades
    Mods: Alu Kruez | Brembo GT BBK | Black Optics Grill | APR Stage II V2.0 Tune & Pulley | Deval Rear Valence | Hotchkis Sway Bars | TTRS Steering Wheel | AWE Intake | APR RSC Exhaust | P3 Gauge | Stasis Challenge Suspension | Stasis 28mm Rear Sway Bar | EC ÜSS End Links | ADV 10.1s | Sterns UCAs
    Future Mods: ??

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    MB GL450

Quote Originally Posted by aaron1085 View Post
    I will be using my "stock" BBK pads I got with the Alcon BBK. I will see how those are for DD prior to the trsck day and then on the track and go from there. I just dropped $2200 on it, so I'm not too eager to go buy new pads just yet. I will probably however install my XP8's on the rear as I used them last year at Loudon.
    Just saw this. CircuitTested on the B8 S4 forum did a fantastic review of the Alcons you have. He used the pads that came with the kit and burned them to a crisp I think the first weekend of track. The pads are street pads. Depending on how hard you track, you may want/need to upgrade to track pads. Here's the link.

Good luck!

DD: 2012 S4 | DSG | BB | Prestige | ADS | Silk Napa | B&O | Nav | Side Assist | Rear Side Airbags | Sun shades
    Mods: Alu Kruez | Brembo GT BBK | Black Optics Grill | APR Stage II V2.0 Tune & Pulley | Deval Rear Valence | Hotchkis Sway Bars | TTRS Steering Wheel | AWE Intake | APR RSC Exhaust | P3 Gauge | Stasis Challenge Suspension | Stasis 28mm Rear Sway Bar | EC ÜSS End Links | ADV 10.1s | Sterns UCAs

Veteran Member Four Rings bigdo26's Avatar
    AZ Member #

I would have to agree about the non-track pads. I actually picked up 2 sets of 'lightly used' track pads for cheap so I could try each out. If you can find a deal like that, jump on it. I refuse to put the Stoptech pads that came with the kit on for a track event. I know I will fry them

Misfires are a pain - it seems that for me it might be related to a fueling issue. I turned down the requested boost this morning to around 16psi (normally my tune requests 20psi) and I got no signs of misfires. So I'm now thinking that I might be overworking my fueling system?
    2014 Mustang GT w/track pack and Recaros
    Sold: B5 S4

Track videos: Watkins Glen

Track videos: Limerock Park

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    MB GL450

bigdo, I'm curious what tune and tool do you have where you, as a user, can turn down requested boost at will? I'm impressed! Have you ever emailed the tuner about this as well?

LOTS of discussion on the B8 S4 forum about tunes, over boost, knock desensitization, etc.! LMK if interested, I can pass on the link.

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by socfan12 View Post
    bigdo, I'm curious what tune and tool do you have where you, as a user, can turn down requested boost at will? I'm impressed! Have you ever emailed the tuner about this as well?

LOTS of discussion on the B8 S4 forum about tunes, over boost, knock desensitization, etc.! LMK if interested, I can pass on the link.
    I have a custom tune (I didn't write it, I've just tweaked it) that was written by Notorious VR. The software I use for flashing is Nefmoto's software, and I use TunerPro for editing the tunes.

I can adjust boost 2 ways - one, going into the tune and editing the parameters to request less boost, or 2 (which I have used recently as a bandaid) - crank down my MBC (which is hooked up in parallel to my N75 valve) to limit peak boost. I can only use the MBC because I changed the parameters in my tune to be less sensitive to boost deviation levels. With an OTS tune (GIAC for example - my previous tune), if I reduced boost by more than ~1psi from the requested boost, I would throw codes. Now I can adjust as much as 5 or 6 psi before throwing codes.

I've also tuned out my rear O2's and EGT's (so I can run a cat-less exhaust and not replace the failure-prone EGT sensors), amongst other things.

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    MB GL450

Interesting...

AZ Member #

I don't know if the software is compatible with B6/B7/B8 cars... certainly worth checking out though!

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    MB GL450

Haha. Like I said, there's a major tune war thread(s) going on in the B8 S4 forum. I'll stick with the Apr tune, it's a known quantity.

Someone logged an Apr V2 tuned car, and I think requested and actual boost was around 16 psi IIRC.

Good luck with that cylinder misfire. Hope it doesn't interrupt any tracking days!

AZ Member #

Looks like I got the misfire issue figured out - it seems to be a MAF related issue of all things. But 2 days without misfires after cleaning the MAF, so looks like I'm back in business and ready for the track. Stoptech kit goes on this Friday, and the new tires are going on my track wheels Friday or Saturday. I am VERY ready to get out on the track. I'm trying to convince myself to do an April event...

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    MB GL450

Wow, that's pretty good! How did you narrow it down to the MAF? Dedicated track wheels on track tires, very jealous. that's where I'd like to be one day. Which wheels/tires are you using?

Tomorrow I'm leaving for Summit Point to track with a PCA group. Planning on tracking w the same group April 20th at NJMP if you can make that.

AZ Member #

Wow, that's pretty good! How did you narrow it down to the MAF? Dedicated track wheels on track tires, very jealous. that's where I'd like to be one day. Which wheels/tires are you using?

Tomorrow I'm leaving for Summit Point to track with a PCA group. Planning on tracking w the same group April 20th at NJMP if you can make that.
    Well, basically tried everything else I could think of and then I got a single instance of a 'charge deviation' code, which I've previously linked to MAF issues. So many things to go wrong with the B5's, but when running right I love it!

I don't have anything special for the track wheels - they are just 5-spoke 18" wheels that I picked up for cheap last year. Tires are Goodyear Eagle F1 Assymetric (240 treadwear) - should be sticky enough.

Would love to get to NJMP in April - I have way too much going on at work to get away unfortunately. Was looking at the SCDA LRP event first week of May, until I figured out I have to travel that week. Oh well, I'll have some extra time to get used to the new brakes and put a few miles on the new tires to 'break them in'

AZ Member #

Stoptech BBK is installed! Have some work to do to figure out why the rear brakes are locking up, but pedal feel is fantastic and stopping power seems excellent. Now if May would just come more quickly so I can get out on the track and try these babies out!

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    MB GL450

You must be psyched! I am at Summit Point today and after 5 sessions, my front Carbotech pads are close to gone and the rotors definitely are looking worn.

What rear pads do you have? Balanced correctly relative to the front pads?

AZ Member #

You must be psyched! I am at Summit Point today and after 5 sessions, my front Carbotech pads are close to gone and the rotors definitely are looking worn.

What rear pads do you have? Balanced correctly relative to the front pads?
    I think the pad balance is off - Hawk HP Plus in the rears and just the stock Stoptech pads up front. Rears are more aggressive. My ABS is also currently disabled - should get that coded right today to re-enable it, which should also help. I've got my old stock rear pads that I will probably put on to see if that helps balance things out better.

Summit point sounds like a blast - I'd love to try that track out. It's not too far from DC right? Got a friend in DC who I may visit over the summer and build in a Summit Point day as well.

You've had good luck with the Carbotech pads? How is rotor wear?

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    MB GL450

Yeah, sounds like brake bias is too strong in the back. Are the Stoptech pads in front street or track pads? I have XP10s in front, XP8s in the back, seems to work well for me. Having said that and gone thru Summit Point, I may move up to XP12s in the front and maybe XP10s in the back.

Carbotech is supposed to be easy on the rotors, but after just 2 track events, you could see/feel some ripples on my rotors. After 2 more track events, the ripples are a little more pronounced. Now I have the drilled rotors which weren't meant for tracking (I have hairline cracks already near the holes) so that could be an issue. After 1 more event, I may switch to my solid slotted rotors. That will give me a better gauge on how CT are on the rotors. But CT are reputed to be relatively easy on the rotors.

I met up with gibsonl from the area, another track enthusiast and he was doing really well in his RS4 until some vibration in his car forced him to leave early. I'm PM'ing him the link so he can join this discussion as well.

AZ Member #

In regards to the rotor vibration (which I assume yuo mean by ripples on the rotors) you should be able to use your track pads when they are cold to clean the transfer layer off the rotors and smooth them out again. When race pads are cold, they are very abrasive, and should clear any transfer layers off. Do you run dedicated track rotors?

From what I've read, the slotted rotors are supposed to hold up better than drilled, as you say. But I can't speak from personal experience.

Right now, I'm running the stock Stoptech pads up front and Hawk HP Plus in the rear. I think you're right that the pads are biasing rear brakes - for the track, I'll still probably run the Hawk's in the back, but will switch to my PFC-01's up front. Might rig up some brake cooling too for both the front and the rear. I don't think I've ever faded my rear pads, but I don't want to get fade on the Hawks and then completely bias braking to the fronts at the track... need to do a little more reading. Hard to find a lot of info on temps of rear brakes compared with fronts.

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    MB GL450

Quote Originally Posted by bigdo26 View Post
    In regards to the rotor vibration (which I assume yuo mean by ripples on the rotors) you should be able to use your track pads when they are cold to clean the transfer layer off the rotors and smooth them out again. When race pads are cold, they are very abrasive, and should clear any transfer layers off. Do you run dedicated track rotors?

From what I've read, the slotted rotors are supposed to hold up better than drilled, as you say. But I can't speak from personal experience.

Right now, I'm running the stock Stoptech pads up front and Hawk HP Plus in the rear. I think you're right that the pads are biasing rear brakes - for the track, I'll still probably run the Hawk's in the back, but will switch to my PFC-01's up front. Might rig up some brake cooling too for both the front and the rear. I don't think I've ever faded my rear pads, but I don't want to get fade on the Hawks and then completely bias braking to the fronts at the track... need to do a little more reading. Hard to find a lot of info on temps of rear brakes compared with fronts.
    I don't run dedicated rotors. One of the reasons I run with Carbotech is because their track pads and street pads are compatible material, so I wouldn't need dedicated rotors for track. At least that's the theory. I just put on my CT street pads, called Bobcats, and got a little vibration from them once they were on. But I then did a mini-bedding and they feel fine now with no vibration.

I'll PM a friend of mine from the B8 S4 forum to see what he has done. He was talking about using heat paint to see the temps of the rotors (he just got a new BBK, too). Wonder if he did any experimenting. My instructor at Summit heard how horrible my brakes sounded before I changed pads. He said our cars are so heavy we should definitely look into some cooling ducts for the brakes.

AZ Member #

I've seen the thermal paint as well (we actually use that in my industry on engine tests too). They also make thermal tabs that are much cheaper - off the top of my head I'm not sure how the temperature ranges compare.

The B8 S4's are close to 4000 lbs aren't they? Mine weighs in at about 3500, still pretty hefty, but a little easier on brakes. I've got to start working out some cooling duct plans, as the next couple weeks are going to fly by and my first 2012 event will be here soon

Registered Member Four Rings
    AZ Member #

Thermal pain is quite expensive. We coat all are racings rotors here prior to shipping out. You want the tabs on your calipers and paint on your rotors. Idea is to change both orange and green completly white and just start to change red. Also want to make sure your changing both faces of the rotor equally and not one side than the other which is a sign that your rotor will start warping in coming events.

Senior Member Four Rings ilspazzaneve's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by ilspazzaneve View Post
    $100 gets you set up for a couple cars.

Socfan it was a bit of a social event last Friday, I never got around to measuring temps, but I do still have my IR sensor handy. Next time at the track I'll be in logging/data mode, esp if I'm alone. I'd like to get this car set up properly soon so I can enjoy the track more...!

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    MB GL450

Will the IR sensor give you max temp seen or just point in time temp?

Blue-Angel, given the color changes you mention above, what does that tell you about the rotors?

ilspazz, I fried my XP10s at Summit Point this weekend on the first day. I just ordered RP2s like Psykhotik, but am keeping the XP8s in the rears. We'll see how that combo works out.

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2007 2.0T A4

alcon BBK and StaSiS/Ohlins coilovers installed...car rides a bit harshers but wow...turns on a dime and stops while sucking my eye balls out!

AZ Member #

aaron - very nice! you got a front & back setup? I had the same feeling when I put my coilovers on in regards to handling - feels great!

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    MB GL450

Which pads did you wind up getting, Aaron? What will you be using at LRP?

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    MB GL450

Hey bigdo,

I got into Wake Robin Inn in their side motel for 150/night, alot cheaper than the Interlaken at around 250/night. Have you ever stayed at their side motel? Our would you just recommend me staying at the Interlaken? :-)

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2007 2.0T A4

I will be using the StaSiS pads they sent me with the kit. We will see how those do and go from there. I refuse to replace them right off the bat before trying their potential. For a few grand, I expect decent results.BBK in the front, I resurfaced the rear rotors and installed new Hawk HPS pads to add some better rear braking. So far, so good. More brake dust tho...it's all good, looks badass when clean!

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    MB GL450

Looks like a nice ride height. what specs on the VMRs? The VMRs come in 19x9 et45 which I understand from the wheel gurus will fit 265s on the B8s really nice. Michelin Sport Cups come in that size...

AZ Member #

Hey bigdo,

I got into Wake Robin Inn in their side motel for 150/night, alot cheaper than the Interlaken at around 250/night. Have you ever stayed at their side motel? Our would you just recommend me staying at the Interlaken? :-)

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
    I was told by Wake Robin they were full, so good you got a room. I have never stayed by Limerock, I just commute there from my house to save on hotel costs... I know typically a lot of people stay at the Wake Robin though! I think you'll be fine there

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    MB GL450

Their main inn is full by a Mercedes thing going on. But their summer motel across the drive has room, and that's where I'm staying. She said it's not luxury, but I won't be using the room much anyway.

AZ Member #

aaron - brakes look great - like the wheels too. What does your car weigh in at? You'll probably be OK with the stock pads, but you may find you're cooking them by day 2 when you're trying to brake later and carrying more speed at the end of the straights. If the pads are easy to swap, and you can find a cheap set of track pads for those calipers, I'd suggest that. If nothing else, just have then incase you lose confidence in the stock pads. That's what happened to me wtih the Hawk HP Plus pads - cooked them within about 7 or 8 minutes on the track, then had to brake way early and didn't have much bite.

Just a thought - I'm swapping in my track pads the night before

AZ Member #

Their main inn is full by a Mercedes thing going on. But their summer motel across the drive has room, and that's where I'm staying. She said it's not luxury, but I won't be using the room much anyway.
    Ah, gotcha - they didn't mention to me they had room at their summer motel. Good to know, I will pass that along to some other folks who are attending. As long as you have a shower and a bed, that's about all you need for a weekend at the track

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    MB GL450

+1

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2007 2.0T A4

Honestly, haven't had that car weighed. Whatever stock weight is for a 2007 A4 2.0 Quattro. The wheels are 19x8.5 with a 35 offset. My stock 17's have a 45 offset and didn't fit with the brake kit, thankfully these 19's fit. So, I need to decide if I'm going to add a 10mm spacer when tracking with my 17's or gonna pull the trigger on new 17's with a 35 offset....errrrr

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    MB GL450

So earlier in the week I had an event with BMW NJ at NJMP. They definitely emphasize being smooth over speed while the PCA group I track with emphasizes speed over smoothness (they care about it, but not to the same extent as BMW). Next track event will be LRP mid-May, can't wait! Will be my first event with Audi, LOL!

I also signed up for the ACNA NJMP event in mid June. Anyone intending to join that?

AZ Member #

What are you up to, 15 events this year? I'm jealous - haven't touched the track this year and won't get out there for another month. Summer is looking like I'll get a couple events in, but I have zero vacation time to do midweek events. Probably will pull off the Wakins Glen event either in July or August, doubt I'll be able to do both.

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    MB GL450

Haha, I wish! Just 3. May is pretty light with just 1 confirmed DE, I'd like to do at least one more. June has a number of events to choose from, though. .

Hey bigdo, have you changed the camber on your wheels for better tracking? Just curious if you did and you saw any improvement in performance. I'm on another thread on the B8 forum where we are discussing this.

AZ Member #

Well, I've sort of changed camber as a result of my coilovers... there is no stock camber adjustment with the B5 S4's, however with lowering the car, I get some negative camber. I have tracked the car with stock suspension and with coilovers, and getting some negative camber in the front definitely helps. By working the throttle, I can get the car to rotate better with negative front camber. I wouldn't do the rears as that should just make the car push more. I have not done sway bars or the 4:1 center diff though - hard to say what camber adjustments I'd want to make with those additional parts. There are adjustable control arms available for my car, which allow camber adjustments, but I am trying to stop putting $ into the car now that I have the big brake kit and track wheels/tires - Only planning to take this car so far as a track toy before selling and buying something else.

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2007 2.0T A4

How was the BMW club? There is one BMW club that does a lot of events at Loudon here in NH, which is my home track, but....I have an Audi and want to be accepted! hahaha

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    MB GL450

The BMW clubs accepts all marquees just like the Audi clubs do, so you will be accepted.

As I stated above, the BMW club emphasizes smoothness over speed first, stating the speed will come with being smooth. First time I tracked with them (my first DE in fact) I felt I was being held back and didn't have that great an experience. I thought I would give them another shot with this event and I have to say, it was much better. I think it was just the instructor at my first DE. BMW has some good instructors with lots of race experience or track time. I learned a lot this 2nd event.

Logistically, BMW (at least the one I track with) is on the stricter side of rules. My club (BMW CCA NJ) does not allow suction cup mounted video cameras - they must be rigidly mounted (I used a C clamp mount) and the camera must then be tethered to the car using stainless steel wire in a length such that if lodged loose from the mount, the camera would not hit driver or passenger. Miss a class, you'll miss the track. Things like this is a turn off for me, but like I said, they're instruction this 2nd time around was really good. I plan on doing a DE with them in the beginning of June, so we'll see how that one turns out.

I would join - it's a nominal fee for a year and if they have lots of local events for you, it'll just give you that much more opportunity to track!.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast