Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Veteran Member Four Rings morris400's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 1994 Audi S4
    Items for Sale

another reason why ontario sucks!!!

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    another reason why ontario sucks!!!!
    as some of you know im out in kingston ontario working right now. ill be coming back to alberta in march. tonight i was going to the store to get a bag of chips, i get pulled over by kingston po po. i was doing 80 in a 60, oh well it could be worse i guess.... first thing the cop said was " whats wrong with your exhaust?" i run SSAC dps not res with a stright pipe out the back. yes its loud but not aginst the law as fas as i know. after 40 mins of sitting on the side of the road he comes back and gives me a ticket for 20kmh over, figured as much.....then gives me one for $365.00 for driving a car without emission equiptment installed. and gives me a 10 day notice to make my car legal in ontario. i called the cgy police to see if i was breaking the law in ab and he said there is no emissions laws in alberta. no rules on cats, and we dont test for emissions. this i already knew but i just wanted to make sure. my car is ab registered and insured. im only here on work, ill be fighting this ticket tomorrow or thurs in court and it better get thrown out. my car is legal where its registered and where i live. what do they want? should i swap exhausts every time i travel to another province? oh yea and the cop said im not allowed to drive my car untill i get it "fixed". i have to have it towed to a shop and install factory exhaust. ha ha like im gonna do that. he also said that because of people like me the enviroment is in the shape its in. all my car does is kill trees.

if anyone has any input on this situation id like to hear it. am i right or is the cop right and what would you do ?
    IF YOU WONT STAND BEHIND OUR TROOPS....TRY STANDING IN FRONT OF THEM!
    1994 Audi S4 20V Turbo - Current DD
    2001 Audi S4 - Gone but never forgotten

Senior Member Three Rings TeflonS4's Avatar
    AZ Member #

That sucks man. Did you give the cop attitude? Sounds like he was being a dink and slapped you with a mod tax.

Veteran Member Four Rings Tanner's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    S4 / BRZ

Sounds like the ticket will get thrown out as those requirements are for cars registered in Ontario. Similar to the winter tire requirement in Quebec, it only applies to residents there and not to anybody out of province - have read of people getting ticketed with not having winter tires but the ticket later thrown out.
    Mike

Veteran Member Three Rings bangoman's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Sounds dodgy - does that mean people on holiday from the US get stopped by the cops for flouting Ontario emissions laws?
    Stock

Veteran Member Three Rings 613B6's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2004 A4 6MT

keep us posted if this gets tossed, I might registar my car at your place in Albert! haha
    B8 S4 - CTS Intake | H&R OE | 12.9@105
    MKV GTI | 502whp | HTA3076 | Meth | Eurodyne
    IG: 613B6

Veteran Member Four Rings BASARAB's Avatar
    AZ Member #

LOL since Michigan does not have any kind of smog check or car inspection, does it mean I cant even drive to Ontario???

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    Items for Sale

I went to the police.station today and the sgt on duty seems to be on my side. Hes talking to his boss and asked me to come.back at 430 tomorrow to talk to him. I have to prove.that im only in ontario on work and.that i dont.live.here. Which is.easy.to.do.

The cop told me.last.night that even if im just driving through ontario the car must meet.there emission specs. Im sure hes retarded and just wanted to see if i fight this or not. Only thing he got me on was 20 over and plate bulbs burnt out. Ill keep this up.dated as i find out more.

Ps sorry for all the periods my phone is all messed up.

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2006 JHM Stg 1 SC'd S4 Avant 6MT

What a dick. He was way off base and incorrect. He's either really fucking stupid (possible, he's a cop after all) or knew it but just wanted you to waste time fighting it. No skin off his back. It's cause of cops like him that most people can't stand cops.
    Sprint Blue B7 S4 Avant 6MT - 421whp/350wtq - Review of Mods
    JHM Stage 1 SC - JHM IM - JHM 5R clutch - JHM LWFW - Stoptech ST-60 BBK - KW v3 Coilovers - JHM shifter - Trexturk DP - Magnaflow CB - Hotchkis RSB - JHM IS - 034 Adj. FUCA - Zada Tech Gauges - STE Gauges

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    S4 / BRZ

There was a post about somebody pulled over in Quebec during the winter last year and the cop was in the process of writing him a ticket because by law, Quebec'ers are required to winter tires as i mentioned previously. The other cop that was there, who happened to be younger, educated the other cop that the car's registered in Ontario and the law isn't applicable for out-of-province, so no ticket written up for not having winter tires.
    Mike

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Tanner View Post
    There was a post about somebody pulled over in Quebec during the winter last year and the cop was in the process of writing him a ticket because by law, Quebec'ers are required to winter tires as i mentioned previously. The other cop that was there, who happened to be younger, educated the other cop that the car's registered in Ontario and the law isn't applicable for out-of-province, so no ticket written up for not having winter tires.
    Wow! And these guys carry guns and have the authority to shoot you. Sigh...
    JHM Stage 1 SC - JHM IM - JHM 5R clutch - JHM LWFW - Stoptech ST-60 BBK - KW v3 Coilovers - JHM shifter - Trexturk DP - Magnaflow CB - Hotchkis RSB - JHM IS - 034 Adj. FUCA - Zada Tech Gauges - STE Gauges

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    S4 / BRZ

Well fortunately they're not trigger happy with a firearm in the grand scheme of things, but perhaps are a bit more trigger happy in writing tickets.
    Mike

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Well fortunately they're not trigger happy with a firearm in the grand scheme of things, but perhaps are a bit more trigger happy in writing tickets.
    They're trigger happy enough if you look back at 2011. How many people did they shoot without proper justification (in the GTA)? Anyway, that's not a discussion for this thread or this forum so I'll drop it.

AZ Member #

That sucks. If you think about it, doesn't the Highway Traffic Act for the cop's province of jurisdiction technically apply to all vehicles? Are there specific exemptions or is a judgement call? Like the need for a front licence plate for example. In defence of the cop, they can't be expected to know all the differences between the Ontario HTA and other provinces or US states, but I also think that there has to be some flexibility. I admit that I never knew that Alberta has no emission standards...

Good luck.
    Peter
    2009 A4 2.0T Quattro Premium 6MT
    Meteor Grey/Black | B&O | STaSIS ECU/Exhaust/Springs/RSB/Rims | K&N Filter | Eurocode TIH/HFIP/IHK/HFC/Alu Kreuz | Strat O2 Spacer | BFI OCC | Podi Boost Gauge | Rieger Rep Spoiler | LED Interior/Doors/Plate | 5000K HID Foglights

Coming: Eurocode Meisterwerk

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    S4 / BRZ

Quote Originally Posted by STA4 View Post
    That sucks. If you think about it, doesn't the Highway Traffic Act for the cop's province of jurisdiction technically apply to all vehicles? Are there specific exemptions or is a judgement call? Like the need for a front licence plate for example. In defence of the cop, they can't be expected to know all the differences between the Ontario HTA and other provinces or US states, but I also think that there has to be some flexibility. I admit that I never knew that Alberta has no emission standards...
    The Ontario HTA states that certain sections of the act does not apply to cars registered outside of Ontario. So the requirements of the plates doesn't even apply as the act refers to Ontario plates.
    Mike

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    S4 / BRZ

Quote Originally Posted by STA4 View Post
    The Ontario HTA states that certain sections of the act does not apply to cars registered outside of Ontario. So the requirements of the plates doesn't even apply as the act refers to Ontario plates. There are sections that do apply to all vehicles - like having a proper muffler.
    Mike

Established Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

The Ontario HTA states that certain sections of the act does not apply to cars registered outside of Ontario. So the requirements of the plates doesn't even apply as the act refers to Ontario plates. There are sections that do apply to all vehicles - like having a proper muffler.
    I would try a very simple approach; Walk into the police station tell the desk jockey you were charged in error and see what he does. I can't see how a cop would be such an ass charging you for an Ontario only offence when you have out of province plates. Sheeeesh what a jackass, he probably figured you'd just pay it

Senior Member Three Rings
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    audi

Common the cop is on a mission of saving trees
    You're lucky for not getting a ticket for not having a front plate,
    I' guessing you don't have it as it's not required in alberta

Some cops are reall dicks, sometimes i drive next to one and think just when and for what I'll get pull over

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    Items for Sale

no i was not being a dick, but i was clearly fustrated. just because im hear on work, does not make me a resident of ontario. as im in the military, i was sent here to complete training then return to alberta. i still have my house in calgary and pay all my bills there. the military pays for my bills while im here, ie my food and living quarters are all paid for. the epa section 23 (2) only applies to residents of ontario. there is no such law in alberta.

i spoke to the police here in kingston today, i have to go back tomorrow and see what they want to do. for now they took back the ticket and are reviewing the situation.

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    Items for Sale

the thing that get me is the order to make my car meet ontario emission standards when my car is not registered here. im getting a letter from the military saying im only here on training and am not a resident of ontario. and will be returning to alberta in march. i also think the cop just gave me the ticket thinking id be scared and just do what he said and pay it. hes got a fight coming let me tell you that, im not going to bend over and take this.

Established Member Two Rings dariussquared's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by morris400 View Post
    the thing that get me is the order to make my car meet ontario emission standards when my car is not registered here. im getting a letter from the military saying im only here on training and am not a resident of ontario. and will be returning to alberta in march. i also think the cop just gave me the ticket thinking id be scared and just do what he said and pay it. hes got a fight coming let me tell you that, im not going to bend over and take this.
    I'm curious if the cop knew you were in the Military. I've known some people in the military who've said they've been sent away with a 'thank you' from cops after being pulled over.

Sorry the cop was a tool; we've got quite a few of them here. The upside is that we're still not as shitty as Quebec.

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    audi

That's what most cops think
    People will just pay, and the problem is most do

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    Items for Sale

the cop knew i was military, he pulled me over on base. he was just a stright up dick about the situation.

Veteran Member Three Rings
    AZ Member #

the cop knew i was military, he pulled me over on base. he was just a stright up dick about the situation.
    I know nothing about policing but am surprised a city cop can ticket you in a military base. Isn't that for military police?
    2006 Black S4

AZ Members' Properties Bought/Sold: 6

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    Items for Sale

you would think that city police would not be allowed to do so but i dont know.

Senior Member Four Rings tomh009's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2004 GTI 1.8T

Assuming the ticket is under the environmental protection act, you are off the hook. The link is here:
    http://www.e-laws.gov.on.ca/html/reg...s_980361_e.htm

And the key paragraph is this:
    (2) This Regulation applies with respect to every motor vehicle operating in Ontario for which a permit under the Highway Traffic Act is in effect. O. Reg. 361/98, s. 3 (2).
    Your car is not licensed in Ontario under the HTA, so it doesn't apply.

That said, in general I think the best policy is a low profile ... another reason why I avoid loud exhausts.
    2012 S4 6MT Glacier White/Black Nappa sport diff navigation black optics

AZ Member #

Okay, so the cop was a dick. I think everyone will agree with that, but don't blame an entire province for it.

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    Items for Sale

Quote Originally Posted by tomh009 View Post
    Assuming the ticket is under the environmental protection act, you are off the hook. The link is here:
    http://www.e-laws.gov.on.ca/html/reg...s_980361_e.htm

And the key paragraph is this:

Your car is not licensed in Ontario under the HTA, so it doesn't apply.

That said, in general I think the best policy is a low profile ... another reason why I avoid loud exhausts.

Thank you for this, the ticket is under the epa section 23 (2), i will print this out and bring it with me to the police station.

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    Items for Sale

Quote Originally Posted by 405Z View Post
    Okay, so the cop was a dick. I think everyone will agree with that, but don't blame an entire province for it.

thank you, im entitled to my opinion.

Senior Member Three Rings Das Audi's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by 405Z View Post

Well said..........

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    Items for Sale

the ticket was tossed out. they cant fine me for breaking a law that my home province does not support. all i had to do was prove that i dont live here and im only working here.

and for the record, Alberta is a much better place to live then Ontario. with all the stupid laws they come up with im surprised theres people driving at all.

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    S4 / BRZ

the ticket was tossed out. they cant fine me for breaking a law that my home province does not support. all i had to do was prove that i dont live here and im only working here.

and for the record, Alberta is a much better place to live then Ontario. with all the stupid laws they come up with im surprised theres people driving at all.
    Hey stop knocking Ontario okay? I'm from the Prairies and it's not that horrible as you make it sound.

Speaking of laws, doesn't Alberta have a law of no tint what so ever on the driver and passenger side front windows?

RSA 1980 cH-7 s51
    Window glazing

52(1) Subject to this section, no person shall place or install in a motor vehicle a transparent, translucent or opaque material on or in place of the
    (a) windshield glazing, or
    (b) side window glazing that is beside or forward of the driver on the right and left hand side of the motor vehicle.
    (2) No person shall place or install in a motor vehicle a transparent, translucent or opaque material on or in place of the rear window glazing unless the motor vehicle is equipped with outside rear view mirrors on the left and right of the motor vehicle that comply with the requirements of section 53(2).
    (3) Subsections (1) and (2) do not
    (a) apply to the equivalent replacement of the glazing installed by the manufacturer of the motor vehicle,
    (b) prohibit the use of clear untinted frost shields, or
    (c) prohibit the use of window stickers as long as they do not impair the operator's field of vision or otherwise impair the safe operation of the motor vehicle.
    (4) The owner of a motor vehicle shall ensure that the view through all frost shields on the motor vehicle is not impaired by discoloration, scratches or other damage.
    (5) No person shall place or install any material on or in place of any window glazing that, by reason of sunlight or the headlights of other vehicles, casts a glare at other vehicles on the highway.
    (6) No person shall, after January 1, 1981 operate on a highway a motor vehicle that contains material that is prohibited by this section.
    Mike

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    Items for Sale

Hey stop knocking Ontario okay? I'm from the Prairies and it's not that horrible as you make it sound.

Speaking of laws, doesn't Alberta have a law of no tint what so ever on the driver and passenger side front windows?

RSA 1980 cH-7 s51
    Window glazing

52(1) Subject to this section, no person shall place or install in a motor vehicle a transparent, translucent or opaque material on or in place of the
    (a) windshield glazing, or
    (b) side window glazing that is beside or forward of the driver on the right and left hand side of the motor vehicle.
    (2) No person shall place or install in a motor vehicle a transparent, translucent or opaque material on or in place of the rear window glazing unless the motor vehicle is equipped with outside rear view mirrors on the left and right of the motor vehicle that comply with the requirements of section 53(2).
    (3) Subsections (1) and (2) do not
    (a) apply to the equivalent replacement of the glazing installed by the manufacturer of the motor vehicle,
    (b) prohibit the use of clear untinted frost shields, or
    (c) prohibit the use of window stickers as long as they do not impair the operator's field of vision or otherwise impair the safe operation of the motor vehicle.
    (4) The owner of a motor vehicle shall ensure that the view through all frost shields on the motor vehicle is not impaired by discoloration, scratches or other damage.
    (5) No person shall place or install any material on or in place of any window glazing that, by reason of sunlight or the headlights of other vehicles, casts a glare at other vehicles on the highway.
    (6) No person shall, after January 1, 1981 operate on a highway a motor vehicle that contains material that is prohibited by this section.

im done knocking ontario, i have expressed my opinion. and yes albetra does have that law its just loosely enforced. i have been ticketed for it before in alberta. all they do is ticket you then there on there way, they dont remove it. its a $52 ticket.

AZ Member #

i live in ont, i kno lots of ppl with custom exhausts. popo guy was just being an ****
    2015 Audi []RS5: Sepang Blue | Titanium Pkg |
    Mods: | Modulare Forged M14 | H&R | B&O | Sports Exhaust
    Past: 2012 Audi A5. Sline: Phantm Blk

Veteran Member Three Rings
    AZ Member #

I have an e36 with headers, high flow cats and a Brullen exhaust. It's a very (too) loud setup and while I've been pulled over for no front plate, before, they never mentioned my exhaust.

You were just in the wrong place at the wrong time, unfortunately.
    2006 Black S4

AZ Members' Properties Bought/Sold: 6

Registered Member Four Rings BoSNiaN's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2012 Benz ML350, 2007 BMW 325xi, 2006 Audi A4 2.0T

he also said that because of people like me the enviroment is in the shape its in. all my car does is kill trees.
    Sorry to break your brittle heart, but the cop was right. Too many red necks coming from useless parts of the country with no catalytic converters and pollute our air which is polluted enough by our manufacturing industry.

Basically, if your province is too deep in the stone age to implement its own air quality laws, STAY OUT OF ONTARIO, you might not have standards but we do.
    2006 A4 2.0T 6 SPD MT // Dolphin Grey on Black // Sport + Premium Package // Quattro

==> Complete Mod List <==

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BoSNiaN View Post
    Sorry to break your brittle heart, but the cop was right. Too many red necks coming from useless parts of the country with no catalytic converters and pollute our air which is polluted enough by our manufacturing industry.

Basically, if your province is too deep in the stone age to implement its own air quality laws, STAY OUT OF ONTARIO, you might not have standards but we do.
    Hmmm...seeing as motor vehicles account for only 15% of the world's CO2 emissions, and that North America accounts for only 24% of the world's CO2 emissions, motor vehicles in North America account for 3.6% of the world's CO2 emissions.
    Now, since passenger vehicles make up only 38% of North America's motor vehicles, that goes down to 1.36% of the world's CO2 emissions.

Now that's pretty damn low.

To take it further, there are approximately 270 million passenger vehicles in North America (US and Canada). Obviously, they're not ALL driving at the same time so let's be very conservative and take half that number.
    1.36% divided by 135 million = 1e-10% per vehicle. Yeah, we're REALLY adding to the world's carbon footprint...

The government and media want to blame us drivers for the world's carbon increases when it's mostly industry (which is usually protected by the government due to the tax revenues they bring and the employment they provide) that truly pollute.

Something to think about...

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    S4 / BRZ

Correction.... catalytic converters convert NOx to CO2, N2 and water.

Okay you could say by not having a catalytic converter would actually reduce CO2 emissions though NOx compared to a greenhouse gas being breathed in, NOx is worse.
    Mike

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Correction.... catalytic converters convert NOx to CO2, N2 and water.

Okay you could say by not having a catalytic converter would actually reduce CO2 emissions though NOx compared to a greenhouse gas being breathed in, NOx is worse.
    Passenger vehicles worldwide account for 9% of global NOx emissions and Canada is but a footnote in its global impact of NOx emissions...

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    S4 / BRZ

True though when I'm sitting in rush hour traffic with somebody spewing straight exhaust at me, it's not good.
    Mike

AZ Member #
    My Garage

True though when I'm sitting in rush hour traffic with somebody spewing straight exhaust at me, it's not good.
    Totally agree. Hey, maybe if our city councellors and mayor's office throughout the years hadn't let Toronto become so gridlocked, it wouldn't happen as often...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast