Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Established Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Engine fan runs full speed at idle?

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    I have a 2003 Audi A4 1.8T with 35k miles. For the past few weeks, after I have been driving for a while, when I put the car in park and sometimes at stop lights the fan speeds up to full speed. It is so loud I can hear it inside the car. My engine temp is normal. This started happening the same day my "Oil Level Sensor" light came on if that has anything to do with it? What's going on here?

Veteran Member Four Rings lookaught's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    Aprilia SXV 550, BMW F800GS, Honda CRF450R, Toyota Tundra

I believe the problem is the relay module, there are thread on this topic. The module is in the front of the car near where the hood latch mechanism is located. My car did this for a bit and then miraculously stopped having the problem.

The oil level sensor is in the oil pan and I doubt they are related; however, it is possible that the wiring is close to each other. IIRC the oil pan sensor wiring comes up and there is a harness near the ABS pump, maybe look there for corroded harnesses. Is the oil light still an ongoing problem?
    Jon

WTB 1.8t cylinder honing brush - PM me if you have one!

go > show

Ich liebe mein Audi!

2002 GTRS Avant - Built with love, sweat, bloody knuckles, and pride.

Veteran Member Four Rings audi_nightrider's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    12 more rings
    Items for Sale

So many threads about this the whole week.

Here's one ****>>>> BAMM
    Silver 02 Audi A4 1.8T Q MT
    LED headlight :)

'11 2.0T Audi A5 Premium Plus quattro.....Auto

>>>>>Garage Sale<<<<<

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

That happened to me when my green temp sensor fell out (Yeah it fell out when I was driving and I lost all my coolant. Stupid place for a plastic clip...) Anyway, replacing the sensor and clearing the codes did it for me.

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by lookaught View Post
    I believe the problem is the relay module, there are thread on this topic. The module is in the front of the car near where the hood latch mechanism is located. My car did this for a bit and then miraculously stopped having the problem.

The oil level sensor is in the oil pan and I doubt they are related; however, it is possible that the wiring is close to each other. IIRC the oil pan sensor wiring comes up and there is a harness near the ABS pump, maybe look there for corroded harnesses. Is the oil light still an ongoing problem?
    I didn't think about the wiring being close to each other. Yes, the oil level sensor light is on every time I drive the car. It never turns off.

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by audi_nightrider View Post
    So many threads about this the whole week.

Here's one ****>>>> BAMM
    My fan does not run at startup, it runs full speed when the engine is warm and sitting still.

Senior Member Four Rings bondar1989's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    03 B6 A4 TQM

yea so many threads and I havent seen a post confirming that it is actually the fan control module. I am still trying to find one but I might just have to buy it brand new for 270
    Dynojet 198WHP / 248WTQ stock engine. stock K03. APR Tune. AWE Exhaust w. Testpipe. K&N Cone Filter. Forge DV. B5 A4 1.8T Trans. JOM coilovers. B5 S4 Wheels. Stud Kit. Painted Lowers. 4500k HID's. Track density engine mounts. APR Snub mount. Apikol Trans/Rear Diff mounts. Engine Refresh(cylinder hone/piston rings/Head re-done)

Established Member Two Rings viTamin b6's Avatar
    AZ Member #

I know I'm bringing this back but I'm having this same problem and was wondering if anybody had any luck diagnosing the issue?

Senior Member Four Rings bondar1989's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    03 B6 A4 TQM

I have had this same issue but I never actually bought the 275 dollar module to see if it works.
    Dynojet 198WHP / 248WTQ stock engine. stock K03. APR Tune. AWE Exhaust w. Testpipe. K&N Cone Filter. Forge DV. B5 A4 1.8T Trans. JOM coilovers. B5 S4 Wheels. Stud Kit. Painted Lowers. 4500k HID's. Track density engine mounts. APR Snub mount. Apikol Trans/Rear Diff mounts. Engine Refresh(cylinder hone/piston rings/Head re-done)

AZ Member #

I dont blame you. Thats too much money to spend on a hunch

Veteran Member Three Rings cdn20valve's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    B6 A4 Avant

Quote Originally Posted by viTamin b6 View Post
    I dont blame you. Thats too much money to spend on a hunch

Lol, I had this intermittent issue a few years ago, and it fixed itself, and never acted up again!
    Need some work done on your VW/Audi in the GTA? Former VW/Audi tech. Send me an IM, let me know what you need. Timing belts, brakes, etc... Quality work, save money.

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by cdn20valve View Post
    Lol, I had this intermittent issue a few years ago, and it fixed itself, and never acted up again!
    hopefully after an in depth tune up it'll disappear

Veteran Member Four Rings diagnosticator's Avatar
    AZ Member #

If tbere is any cooling system performance DTC/s set, then the ECU calls for cooling fan high speed after start up, as a precaution agains overheating. Check/scan ECU for cooling system related DTCs. Another possible cause is if there is water inside the ECU box. If there is water inside, it will short out the several relays under the ECU. The symptoms of water inside, are usually the rad fan trys to start up or runs after turning the engine off, and after variable delays after shut down, including the fan running at high speed after starting and after engine shut down. The symptoms with the cooling performance DTCs are the fan running at high speed after starting, but not running with the engine turned off. If the cooling fan power control module was faulty, then it is more likely that the rad fan does not run at all, with the rad fan motor/s not getting power from the fan module, instead of running only at high speed right after start up.
    Last edited by diagnosticator; 04-20-2012 at 02:00 AM.
    Vorsprung durch Technik

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by viTamin b6 View Post
    I know I'm bringing this back but I'm having this same problem and was wondering if anybody had any luck diagnosing the issue?
    Turns out it was the lower ECT Sensor, which sends data to the engine fan control module. It was reading a crazy high temperature causing the fan to kick in.