Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Established Member Two Rings millerns's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2004 Nogaro Blue S4, 2012 Audi A6 3.0T Prestige, 2013 Audi Q5

Center Arm Rest Rattle

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    Hey Everyone,

I briefly posted about this problem in the general rattles section but wasn't very specific about it. I just got back from the dealership because my center armrest rattles when I go over bumps, is idling after cold start, or on rough pavement. It sounds like it is coming from the back right section of the armrest, and the rattle occurs when it is extended or pushed all the way to the back. After looking with a tech and comparing it to brand new cars on the show room floor, he concluded that it is just something that all the cars do (I guess it could be a design flaw).

First off, does anybody hear this similar rattle? I've tried to ignore it by turning up the radio, but unless I'm driving with one arm on the armrest, I notice it. My car is a 2012 and I have basically 940 miles on the car.

Here are some pictures I snapped when I got home. I've pointed out where I notice the rattle in the pictures, as well as some of the other possible rattles.(On a side note, does anyone have a good solution to getting all of the dust out of your car or a good recommendation for a dusting solution? It's everywhere already lol).

In this pic (above), the red arrow shows where I typically think I hear the rattle coming from. I can simulate it when the car is parked by lightly tapping on the arm rest - it sounds like a spring or something inside is loose. However, when I looked at it some more, it found that maybe it was coming from the piece where the blue arrow is pointing. I held the piece by the blue arrow on both sides and it seems to help stop the rattle. Maybe someone else can take a look at their car and see if they see anything similar. If it is the piece by the blue arrow, I'm not exactly sure what I can do about it without getting help from the dealer.

The picture below shows the underside of armrest, where the piece by the red arrow actually does make some noise when tapping on it, so it could also possibly be the cause. I think a piece of felt tape on the underside of this could help stop this rattle if this is the ultimate cause of the noise, the only problem with this would be it hindering movement of the armrest. Here is the picture of this:

Sorry for having such a long post and I couldn't find anyone on here with similar problems posted, so any advice would be very helpful, I'm sure some of you know how irritating these rattles and squeaks can be in the car . Thanks everyone

Veteran Member Four Rings rayray's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2017 Q7

I say if a tech has looked at and can't find out a solution to the rattle, then I suggest you request a warranty replacement.
    2012 A6 3.0T Prestige | Phantom Black Pearl | Black w/ Natural Brown Fine Grain Wood | Innovation Pkg | 20" Sport Pkg
    2017 Q7 3.0T Prestige | Ink Blue Metallic | Nougat Brown w/ Layered Walnut Wood | Driver Assistance Pkg | 21"RS Wheels | Towing Pkg

Veteran Member Three Rings Scorpio's Avatar
    AZ Member #

mine armrest doesnt even work, kept leaning too hard on it, so now it doesn't stay in like the three lowest setting

AZ Member #

I have a 2012 A4 brand new in September 2011 and have put on 6k miles and do not experience any rattle. I commonly drive with the arm Rest completely in (not extended) but sometimes fully extended and still no rattle

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

Established Member Two Rings millerns's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2004 Nogaro Blue S4, 2012 Audi A6 3.0T Prestige, 2013 Audi Q5

Quote Originally Posted by rayray View Post
    I say if a tech has looked at and can't find out a solution to the rattle, then I suggest you request a warranty replacement.
    that's the next step. I've had to deal the general manager of the dealership before because they messed up my paperwork and "forgot" to collect some money from me, so he may have to get involved on this too, especially if nobody else really has this problem or a fix for it.

Senior Member Three Rings WngoA4's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    Items for Sale

Millerns - Did you ever have this issue fixed? My arm rest started to make a creaking noise everything time i drive.
    2012 Premium Plus A4 : Moonlight Blue: Currently fighting the modding bug but losing the battle!