Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 40 of 335
  1. #1
    Senior Member Four Rings AudiForeman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 24 2011
    AZ Member #
    74541
    My Garage
    B5A4T.06R1.B5S4
    Location
    co719/303
    Items for Sale

    Big Mistake = 605 built motor

    Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    Well as some of you may know i screwed up a few months ago. I had installed tial 605s on my car and bought a fueling kit in the classifides that was supposed to be a base file for 605, wrong. I only made it about 50 miles or so and while getting on it the car lost power, flashing CEL,ect... Got it home, vag'd her and found cyl 5,6 misfire. Turned out i had zero compression in those cyl. I Know i tried to take a shortcut and go cheap with the fueling kit, i trused someone instead of just throwing down and doing it correctly, live and learn im paying for it now. I have been doing lots of reasearch and reading the past few months and am still learning, this thread is being made to obvisouly show off whats going on but also to learn things from all you experienced members/builders out there. so please, all imput and suggestions will be taken into consideration. Lets begin:

    Engine: 2.7
    Rods: Pauter
    Pistons: Im not sure yet, any suggestions/links?
    Heads: 2.8
    Cams: 2.8
    Valvetrain: http://uspmotorsports.com/product_in...roducts_id=510 Has anyone heard much about these? not sure if i sould go with stock size or 1mm bigger? not sure about the pros and cons of this?
    Headgasket: stock
    Intake Manifold: Stock
    Throttle Body: Stock
    Diverter Valves: APR R!
    Turbo kit: Tail 605/inlets already installed
    MAF: Still not sure here eather, 90mm maybe?
    Fueling: I would like to use my seimens 630cc one but might have to just throw down and get something else. Bosch 044 fuel pump, stock fuel rails, 5bar FPR with guage.
    Tune: EPL/AutoSportWerks in broomfield CO.
    Clutch: Vast Stage 4, already installed
    Flywheel: Stock
    Intercooler(s): ERs w/CF Shrouds
    Mounts (motor, tranny and snub): 034 Track Density Motor Mounts, 034 Track Density Trans Mounts, Akipokol Diff mount.
    Exhaust:3in DP's installed, 3.5/4 in downpipe back, Zero cats, not sure on the muffler yet.
    Which wideband: Not sure, ideas?
    Miscellaneous : APR bi-pipes, samico hoses, timing belt kit, aux water pump, new starter, new alternator, cam seals,wilwood BBK, 034 race head bolts. Meth?


    Now Let it begin, like i said im still learning everyday so please help me out with all imput. im hoping to have all the parts in by the end of this month and have the car on the road March 1st.
    Lets hear it gents...

  2. #2
    Senior Member Three Rings Danza's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 28 2010
    AZ Member #
    60789
    Location
    PAX River, MD

    pauters are nice but you probably be fine with ie and then you can buy meth

    epl may recommend you pick up some ev14s
    -Ian

  3. #3
    Veteran Member Four Rings MDJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 29 2010
    AZ Member #
    60861
    My Garage
    TIAL S4 ** '74 Superbeetle ** '60 MGA
    Location
    Denver, CO

    I am using asw for my 605 tuning, too. I picked up EV14 injectors also (72 lb.). EPL sells them with their kit.

    Also, that vast clutch will probably slip on you eventually if you're going with 3L torque. Id look into a southbend or clutchmasters 850?
    WTB - Electric high flow fan kit - FORGE 007 DVs

  4. #4
    Established Member Three Rings
    Join Date
    Oct 06 2011
    AZ Member #
    82180
    My Garage
    Audi S4 /Wifes 2011 cruz..bleh
    Location
    Southwest Michigan

    I'd get rods and pistons from vast or if budget allows buy the 3L long block from eurospec sport.

  5. #5
    Veteran Member Four Rings
    Join Date
    Sep 11 2009
    AZ Member #
    47633
    Location
    NE
    Items for Sale

    couple of comments:

    Pistons: contact AMD, they have superior design for stroker 2.9 or 3.0 depending how reliable you want your engine. See it has to do with you deciding how little meat you want left between cylinders. While keeping it 2.9 will shave only 0.5mm from the wall between cylinders, 3.0 will shave full 2mm - 2.5mm out of it and you have to see in person how little there is to begin with (just 7mm). 2/3 of displacement increase (200cc) comes from longer cylinder stroke and then any extra is from larger bore. It really puzzles my why people go 3.0 and then complain that their engines don't last, consume oil, etc after allowing their engine builder to shave important structural material out of the engine.

    Clutch: Vast stage 4 won't be enough... there is really not much choice here, 850 or some other twin plate is the only way to go for projected torque. When I asked Vast specifically how much TQ will their new stage 4 hold, I got a bullshit answer in the sorts of "It is a state of the art clutch that will hold torque for most demanding GT engine build.". Really? They were never able to provide TQ amount in writing.

    FPR: 5 bar might put 044 pump out of breath unless you go dual pump or something. use either 3 or 4 bar. I personally run 1000cc ev14 wuth 3 bar fpr and it works marvelously.

    Valves: oversizing without going all out on intake system (RS4 or custom manifold), porting heads, RS4+ throttle, larger bi-pipes etc doesn't make sense and introduces extra labor cost to heads, significant cost at that without much return. All valve seats need to be cut and it is pretty expensive affair on our heads.

    I hope it helps somewhat!

  6. #6
    Senior Member Four Rings AudiForeman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 24 2011
    AZ Member #
    74541
    My Garage
    B5A4T.06R1.B5S4
    Location
    co719/303
    Items for Sale

    Quote Originally Posted by MDJ View Post
    I am using asw for my 605 tuning, too. I picked up EV14 injectors also (72 lb.). EPL sells them with their kit.

    Also, that vast clutch will probably slip on you eventually if you're going with 3L torque. Id look into a southbend or clutchmasters 850?
    im keeping the stock crankshaft, i was going 3L but with complaints of burning oil and such i dont really want that headache. the vast 4 has 1000 miles on it with a rebuilt updated tranny. i realize now its not the strongest clutch i could have but its going to have to do for now. this wont be a dd, only about once or twice a month will she come out. ill check into those injectors a little more, thank you. did you buy the EPL kit from ASW? what are they charging for tuning?

  7. #7
    Established Member Two Rings MCsquared's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 04 2011
    AZ Member #
    84779
    Location
    CT

    Quote Originally Posted by AudiForeman View Post
    im keeping the stock crankshaft, i was going 3L but with complaints of burning oil and such i dont really want that headache. the vast 4 has 1000 miles on it with a rebuilt updated tranny. i realize now its not the strongest clutch i could have but its going to have to do for now. this wont be a dd, only about once or twice a month will she come out. ill check into those injectors a little more, thank you. did you buy the EPL kit from ASW? what are they charging for tuning?
    it wont burn oil if you do it right. such as correct bore finish for your ring set and properly breaking it in etc...
    Registered Audi Technician
    ASE Master Tech

    1999 A4 1.8qtm
    2001.5 S4


    Poverty is owning a race car

  8. #8
    Senior Member Four Rings AudiForeman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 24 2011
    AZ Member #
    74541
    My Garage
    B5A4T.06R1.B5S4
    Location
    co719/303
    Items for Sale

    Quote Originally Posted by julex View Post
    couple of comments:

    Pistons: contact AMD, they have superior design for stroker 2.9 or 3.0 depending how reliable you want your engine. See it has to do with you deciding how little meat you want left between cylinders. While keeping it 2.9 will shave only 0.5mm from the wall between cylinders, 3.0 will shave full 2mm - 2.5mm out of it and you have to see in person how little there is to begin with (just 7mm). 2/3 of displacement increase (200cc) comes from longer cylinder stroke and then any extra is from larger bore. It really puzzles my why people go 3.0 and then complain that their engines don't last, consume oil, etc after allowing their engine builder to shave important structural material out of the engine.

    Clutch: Vast stage 4 won't be enough... there is really not much choice here, 850 or some other twin plate is the only way to go for projected torque. When I asked Vast specifically how much TQ will their new stage 4 hold, I got a bullshit answer in the sorts of "It is a state of the art clutch that will hold torque for most demanding GT engine build.". Really? They were never able to provide TQ amount in writing.

    FPR: 5 bar might put 044 pump out of breath unless you go dual pump or something. use either 3 or 4 bar. I personally run 1000cc ev14 wuth 3 bar fpr and it works marvelously.

    Valves: oversizing without going all out on intake system (RS4 or custom manifold), porting heads, RS4+ throttle, larger bi-pipes etc doesn't make sense and introduces extra labor cost to heads, significant cost at that without much return. All valve seats need to be cut and it is pretty expensive affair on our heads.

    I hope it helps somewhat!

    Thank you sir, this has been a big help.

  9. #9
    Veteran Member Four Rings
    Join Date
    Sep 11 2009
    AZ Member #
    47633
    Location
    NE
    Items for Sale

    if you're staying stock crank then you should be ok with the clutch.

  10. #10
    Veteran Member Four Rings MDJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 29 2010
    AZ Member #
    60861
    My Garage
    TIAL S4 ** '74 Superbeetle ** '60 MGA
    Location
    Denver, CO

    Quote Originally Posted by AudiForeman View Post
    im keeping the stock crankshaft, i was going 3L but with complaints of burning oil and such i dont really want that headache. the vast 4 has 1000 miles on it with a rebuilt updated tranny. i realize now its not the strongest clutch i could have but its going to have to do for now. this wont be a dd, only about once or twice a month will she come out. ill check into those injectors a little more, thank you. did you buy the EPL kit from ASW? what are they charging for tuning?
    I think the vast stg4 has been letting go on other builds somewhere around 500 ft. Lbs. Brand new. I would consider selling that clutch and upgrading (even to a fx400 - rated at 650 or so) if you're planning on anything more than a 19psi cracking pressure and a MODERATE tune with EPL (which is what I'm using on stock internals). Just save your self more headaches. Someone will buy it.

    I bought an EPL fueling kit used through Adam at Raven Motorsports in Long Beach. It was installed on his 605 car. The box already had a base file for 605s and a built (2.8) motor. Bryan will be doing my tuning and has in the past on my current stgII car. I believe its just standard hourly labor, somewhere around 100-115/hr + software, obviously. In my opinion, ASW is the best shop in the rocky mountains. Awesome, professional guys that won't ever do you wrong. Stick with them.

    I really think you should reconsider your clutch and injectors. Those seimens and the vast stg4 have had many issues.
    WTB - Electric high flow fan kit - FORGE 007 DVs

  11. #11
    Senior Member Three Rings Shenanigans's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 14 2009
    AZ Member #
    44971
    Location
    Montgomery AL, maxwell AFB
    Items for Sale

    I need to check out one of theses colorado 605 s4's... iv never been in a ride in an s4 other than my own
    Stage 2.5+
    GIAC X/ko3/ko4 hybrids/ AWE downpipes/ JHM FMIC/ Forge DV's/ greddy catback/ RS4 clutch/ Fidanza Flyhweel/ ARP / EBC red pads/ neuspeed sway bars / ST's/ Vast Meth

    07 SWB Toyota Tacoma Off Road 4x4

  12. #12
    Senior Member Two Rings nvrfollow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 19 2007
    AZ Member #
    17421
    My Garage
    Silver S4 - Laser S4
    Location
    SLC
    Items for Sale

    A lot of high HP guys run IE rods and they can get whatever pistons you need as well. I have heard that there is something off with the Vast pistons which results in excessive oil consumption at least with some of the 3L engines...

  13. #13
    Veteran Member Four Rings MikeyB3's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 16 2008
    AZ Member #
    28834
    Location
    Los Angeles

    Quote Originally Posted by nvrfollow View Post
    A lot of high HP guys run IE rods and they can get whatever pistons you need as well. I have heard that there is something off with the Vast pistons which results in excessive oil consumption at least with some of the 3L engines...
    This is true. I went with IE rods as well for my 770 build. I went with them based on a recommendation from gearhead. Got mine from CTS Turbo. Those guys are awesome.

  14. #14
    Veteran Member Four Rings MDJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 29 2010
    AZ Member #
    60861
    My Garage
    TIAL S4 ** '74 Superbeetle ** '60 MGA
    Location
    Denver, CO

    Quote Originally Posted by Shenanigans View Post
    I need to check out one of theses colorado 605 s4's... iv never been in a ride in an s4 other than my own
    I should be finished with the install by April. Come get a ride when I'm done! Just in time for some dyno days and track meets out at HPR. I'm going to throw it all together through the Rocky Mountain forums. Check there!

  15. #15
    Senior Member Four Rings AudiForeman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 24 2011
    AZ Member #
    74541
    My Garage
    B5A4T.06R1.B5S4
    Location
    co719/303
    Items for Sale

    Quote Originally Posted by MDJ View Post
    I think the vast stg4 has been letting go on other builds somewhere around 500 ft. Lbs. Brand new. I would consider selling that clutch and upgrading (even to a fx400 - rated at 650 or so) if you're planning on anything more than a 19psi cracking pressure and a MODERATE tune with EPL (which is what I'm using on stock internals). Just save your self more headaches. Someone will buy it.

    I bought an EPL fueling kit used through Adam at Raven Motorsports in Long Beach. It was installed on his 605 car. The box already had a base file for 605s and a built (2.8) motor. Bryan will be doing my tuning and has in the past on my current stgII car. I believe its just standard hourly labor, somewhere around 100-115/hr + software, obviously. In my opinion, ASW is the best shop in the rocky mountains. Awesome, professional guys that won't ever do you wrong. Stick with them.

    I really think you should reconsider your clutch and injectors. Those seimens and the vast stg4 have had many issues.
    Thank you so much for your imput and im taking it to heart and looking at clutches now. hopefully my vast stg4 will fit into my 97 a4 1.8t? not sure but im going to look into it as well. and i looked around last night and found some ev14 52lb and 95lb but no 72lb yet, my searching continues tonight. i also talked to brian at asw and told him about my project/setup everything should be good to go once im out. still a little confused if i should buy my own injectors/maf housing and bring ghem my own ecu and car to get tuned or just buy the epl fueling kit as a whole? epl site is down right now and has been for a while.

  16. #16
    Senior Member Four Rings AudiForeman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 24 2011
    AZ Member #
    74541
    My Garage
    B5A4T.06R1.B5S4
    Location
    co719/303
    Items for Sale

    Quote Originally Posted by MikeyB3 View Post
    This is true. I went with IE rods as well for my 770 build. I went with them based on a recommendation from gearhead. Got mine from CTS Turbo. Those guys are awesome.
    i will be staying with the 2.7 crank but will be looking into pistons besides vast, not really wanting more drama right now. any recomendations?

  17. #17
    Veteran Member Four Rings MDJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 29 2010
    AZ Member #
    60861
    My Garage
    TIAL S4 ** '74 Superbeetle ** '60 MGA
    Location
    Denver, CO

    Quote Originally Posted by AudiForeman View Post
    Thank you so much for your imput and im taking it to heart and looking at clutches now. hopefully my vast stg4 will fit into my 97 a4 1.8t? not sure but im going to look into it as well. and i looked around last night and found some ev14 52lb and 95lb but no 72lb yet, my searching continues tonight. i also talked to brian at asw and told him about my project/setup everything should be good to go once im out. still a little confused if i should buy my own injectors/maf housing and bring ghem my own ecu and car to get tuned or just buy the epl fueling kit as a whole? epl site is down right now and has been for a while.
    Bryan can get you the kit, no problem if that's the route you want to go. In fact, I would recommend you do everything through them to make things easier. Bryan and Tony have a great relationship. If you do buy your own injectors and housing (hint - 034) you're going to need hats and fuel rail spacers/hardware from EPL. I believe EPL charges $2100 for the kit and they'll give you a $200 off deal if you're already tuned with them (at least that is what I was told a little more than a month ago). I'm not sure you'd be saving all that much money buying parts separately, honestly. Just call, PM here or email EPL, they have always gotten back to me promptly.

    Good call on the clutch. I'm pretty sure that clutch won't fit a 1.8t, but if it did, it'd be a MUCH better option on a built motor of that type.

    Quote Originally Posted by AudiForeman View Post
    i will be staying with the 2.7 crank but will be looking into pistons besides vast, not really wanting more drama right now. any recomendations?
    JE, LOBA, Mahle

  18. #18
    Senior Member Four Rings AudiForeman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 24 2011
    AZ Member #
    74541
    My Garage
    B5A4T.06R1.B5S4
    Location
    co719/303
    Items for Sale

    thanks MJD
    well more research and calling brian here in the near future, than you for all your help, ill keep everyone posted with pictures and such as parts start to come in. MJD maybe we can meet up once both of our cars are tuned and ready for the road.

  19. #19
    Veteran Member Four Rings MDJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 29 2010
    AZ Member #
    60861
    My Garage
    TIAL S4 ** '74 Superbeetle ** '60 MGA
    Location
    Denver, CO

    ^ You got it man! I figure I should have mine done by May/June if everything goes as planned. I really really don't have any interest in doing this stuff in the cold.

  20. #20
    Senior Member Four Rings AudiForeman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 24 2011
    AZ Member #
    74541
    My Garage
    B5A4T.06R1.B5S4
    Location
    co719/303
    Items for Sale

    i plan to have mine done by march but im sure it will be around may when all said and done. will be putting pics uo in the next few days.

  21. #21
    Veteran Member Four Rings nefkntym's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 30 2007
    AZ Member #
    15262
    My Garage
    2003 A4 Avant, 2013 S4, 2014 Q5
    Location
    Falcon, CO
    Items for Sale

    Quote Originally Posted by Shenanigans View Post
    I need to check out one of theses colorado 605 s4's... iv never been in a ride in an s4 other than my own
    I'm putting in 605s, should be delivered in about 2-3 weeks and I am right up the road from you.
    2013 S4 P+ Estoril Blue
    2014 Q5 2.0T P+ Ice Silver
    03 A4 Avant ~ Polar White ~ No Engine - No Heart
    1.8T -> 24V VR6 -> 2.7TT ->3.2 VR6 Swap/Build thread


  22. #22
    Senior Member Four Rings AudiForeman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 24 2011
    AZ Member #
    74541
    My Garage
    B5A4T.06R1.B5S4
    Location
    co719/303
    Items for Sale

    Quote Originally Posted by nefkntym View Post
    I'm putting in 605s, should be delivered in about 2-3 weeks and I am right up the road from you.
    Yor also right around the corner from me, i wont give my exact location but its northern co springs. are you doing the build yourself or a shop?

  23. #23
    Veteran Member Four Rings nefkntym's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 30 2007
    AZ Member #
    15262
    My Garage
    2003 A4 Avant, 2013 S4, 2014 Q5
    Location
    Falcon, CO
    Items for Sale

    I am doing it all in my garage. I actually put my engine on the engine stand last night.
    Last edited by nefkntym; 01-11-2012 at 06:39 AM.
    2013 S4 P+ Estoril Blue
    2014 Q5 2.0T P+ Ice Silver
    03 A4 Avant ~ Polar White ~ No Engine - No Heart
    1.8T -> 24V VR6 -> 2.7TT ->3.2 VR6 Swap/Build thread


  24. #24
    Senior Member Four Rings AudiForeman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 24 2011
    AZ Member #
    74541
    My Garage
    B5A4T.06R1.B5S4
    Location
    co719/303
    Items for Sale

    Quote Originally Posted by nefkntym View Post
    I am doing it all in my garage. I actually put my engine on the engine stand last night.
    i believe i saw some things for sale on craigslist commming out of falcon, not sure if it was you or not. if you need any help wrenching just hit me up.

  25. #25
    Veteran Member Four Rings nefkntym's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 30 2007
    AZ Member #
    15262
    My Garage
    2003 A4 Avant, 2013 S4, 2014 Q5
    Location
    Falcon, CO
    Items for Sale

    I put up my VR6 yesterday on CL. I had my extra S4 up motor awhile back. I am holding on to it maybe next year, I might build it as a 3L.
    2013 S4 P+ Estoril Blue
    2014 Q5 2.0T P+ Ice Silver
    03 A4 Avant ~ Polar White ~ No Engine - No Heart
    1.8T -> 24V VR6 -> 2.7TT ->3.2 VR6 Swap/Build thread


  26. #26
    Senior Member Four Rings AudiForeman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 24 2011
    AZ Member #
    74541
    My Garage
    B5A4T.06R1.B5S4
    Location
    co719/303
    Items for Sale

    ya i saw on cl/talked to you about that motor a while ago. good luvk eith your build. when are you planning to be done?

  27. #27
    Veteran Member Four Rings nefkntym's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 30 2007
    AZ Member #
    15262
    My Garage
    2003 A4 Avant, 2013 S4, 2014 Q5
    Location
    Falcon, CO
    Items for Sale

    Quote Originally Posted by AudiForeman View Post
    ya i saw on cl/talked to you about that motor a while ago. good luvk eith your build. when are you planning to be done?
    For right now, as soon as humanly possible. For this motor, I am leaving it stock rods, stock motor and have it tuned around that. I have already had the car down for almost a year for the VR6 build/swap. I picked up another motor so I can get it running and back on the road and build my old one at my leisure.
    2013 S4 P+ Estoril Blue
    2014 Q5 2.0T P+ Ice Silver
    03 A4 Avant ~ Polar White ~ No Engine - No Heart
    1.8T -> 24V VR6 -> 2.7TT ->3.2 VR6 Swap/Build thread


  28. #28

  29. #29
    Veteran Member Four Rings geeky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 02 2008
    AZ Member #
    34851
    Location
    Boulder & Seattle
    Items for Sale

    If you need any help with the actual building process, let me know by PM. Always down to wrench in Colorado.
    1999 Porsche 911 Carrera2
    Fabspeed Headers | Fabspeed Muffler Bypass | Schnell Intake

  30. #30
    Senior Member Four Rings AudiForeman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 24 2011
    AZ Member #
    74541
    My Garage
    B5A4T.06R1.B5S4
    Location
    co719/303
    Items for Sale

    well here we go this is the new parts/build that will be going on my car.
    Description
    INTEGRATED ENGINEERING 154MM X 21MM FORGED CONNECTING RODS, AUDI V6
    JE PISTON SET, 2.7TT, 82.5MM BORE, 9.0:1 COMPRESSION, INCLUDES RINGS AND
    WRIST PINS
    COATED MAIN BEARING SET, GLYCO,
    AUDI V6 ROD BEARING SET, COATED
    HIGH PERFORMANCE HEAD BOLT KIT, 2.7
    CYLINDER HEAD GASKET SET, 2.7T, Q2 REQUIRED
    (COMPLETE UPPER GASKET/SEAL KIT, VALVECOVER, ETC)
    TIMING BELT KIT, 2.7TT
    AUXILIARY PUMP DELETE HOSE FOR 2.7T, BLACK REINFORCED SILICONE, INCLUDES
    2 HOSE CLAMPS
    Crank Seal Cover Gasket
    , Crankshaft Seal
    , Crankshaft REAR MAIN Seal
    2.7T, TRANSITION PORT PHENOLIC SPACER KIT 92.00T
    STOCK SIZE HIGH FLOW VALVE SET FOR VW/AUDI 5V ENGINES
    ** Stainless Nitride Intake, Inconel Exhaust, single groove *
    2.7T HIGH LIFT VALVE SPRING SET WITH RAISED INSTALL HEIGHT, INCLUDES TI
    RETAINERS. *single groove *
    1.8T VALVE STEM SEAL, 6MM STEM
    NEW 1.8T VALVE GUIDE

    Tilton Twin Disc Cerametallic clutch is absolutely wonderful now. Previously it was a bit hard to drive, but they changed the compound. Holds way over 800 ft/lbs, and lightening fast shifts. It isn't that much more expensive either; in fact, the clutch, flywheel, and throwout bearing (machined throwout race bearing, no overheating)** Max 034

    Welllp thats it, and EPL fueling kit, the correct choice for the second time around ASW will finalize the tune once everything is installed. finances should be taken car of tomo and order will be placed monday/tuesday to 034. i cant wait, its going to be tricky becauser im also trying to buy my first home this summer but ill leave that all in God's hands.

    Thanks everyone for the support and suggestions thus far, and a huge shout out to max at 034, hes amazing and coundnt have done it without him and his expert knowledge. Im so excited, i wasnt planning on doing this so soon in my cars life but my dumbass left me no choice. Please, everyone, dont shortcut yourbuilds and do it correctly. let me be an example.
    Pics comming. suggestions?

  31. #31

  32. #32
    Veteran Member Four Rings MDJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 29 2010
    AZ Member #
    60861
    My Garage
    TIAL S4 ** '74 Superbeetle ** '60 MGA
    Location
    Denver, CO

    Good choices on the pistons and valve train! Can't wait to go for a spin. Sounds to me like you'll be done quite a bit before I get mine finished. I wish I had the funds to do a full stroker right now. I think I'll wind up snagging a short block for super cheap and building that to swap things onto.

    I'm assuming you went with 72lb injectors, right? 85mm MAF?

  33. #33
    Established Member Two Rings fairbird's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 25 2010
    AZ Member #
    53913
    My Garage
    MB C300 , 335XI
    Location
    Omaha

    using EV14 , clutch musters 725 , JE 82.5 , pretty much same set up as your planing , I'm happy with all those parts.
    Tial 770R 911TT k24/18g

  34. #34
    Senior Member Four Rings AudiForeman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 24 2011
    AZ Member #
    74541
    My Garage
    B5A4T.06R1.B5S4
    Location
    co719/303
    Items for Sale

    Quote Originally Posted by MDJ View Post
    Good choices on the pistons and valve train! Can't wait to go for a spin. Sounds to me like you'll be done quite a bit before I get mine finished. I wish I had the funds to do a full stroker right now. I think I'll wind up snagging a short block for super cheap and building that to swap things onto.

    I'm assuming you went with 72lb injectors, right? 85mm MAF?
    Yes indeed i am, do it onced do it right. well i guess in my case this is my second time but whatever.

  35. #35
    Veteran Member Four Rings nefkntym's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 30 2007
    AZ Member #
    15262
    My Garage
    2003 A4 Avant, 2013 S4, 2014 Q5
    Location
    Falcon, CO
    Items for Sale

    I am planning on using the 72lbs and 85mm maf as well, that is what EPLs fueling kit comes with.

    Some people here on audizine have had problems with that Tilton twin, but more importantly, Tilton wasn't very helpful in customer service. I have a CM FX850, I would use that or 034's new spec twin disk before the Tilton. I think the Tilton cost the most as well. Just my $.02.
    2013 S4 P+ Estoril Blue
    2014 Q5 2.0T P+ Ice Silver
    03 A4 Avant ~ Polar White ~ No Engine - No Heart
    1.8T -> 24V VR6 -> 2.7TT ->3.2 VR6 Swap/Build thread


  36. #36
    Senior Member Four Rings AudiForeman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 24 2011
    AZ Member #
    74541
    My Garage
    B5A4T.06R1.B5S4
    Location
    co719/303
    Items for Sale

    Quote Originally Posted by nefkntym View Post
    I am planning on using the 72lbs and 85mm maf as well, that is what EPLs fueling kit comes with.

    Some people here on audizine have had problems with that Tilton twin, but more importantly, Tilton wasn't very helpful in customer service. I have a CM FX850, I would use that or 034's new spec twin disk before the Tilton. I think the Tilton cost the most as well. Just my $.02.

    This is what Max at 034 recomends "Well in that case, I would recommend the SPEC Stage 3+ SUPERCLAMP! The Superclamp adds about 200ft/lbs of torque capacity, but maintaining the 3+ disc will still keep it driveable; however the pedal will be nice and stiff! Otherwise, You could go with a 6 puck, but there isn't really much more torque capacity and you lose a lot of driveability. Don't let me push you away from a 6 puck, but for instance, we are finishing up a 2868 build (bigger then 770s) and he is using a SPEC 3+ Superclamp instead of a Stage 4 or 5. We used a Stage 3+ Superclamp on our Time Attack car in the beginning too, well over 600whp!

    Let me know if you are set on the puck.

    Otherwise, if you want the best clutch out there without spending over $3000, the Tilton Twin Disc Cerametallic clutch is absolutely wonderful now. Previously it was a bit hard to drive, but they changed the compound. Holds way over 800 ft/lbs, and lightening fast shifts. It isn't that much more expensive either."

  37. #37
    Veteran Member Four Rings MDJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 29 2010
    AZ Member #
    60861
    My Garage
    TIAL S4 ** '74 Superbeetle ** '60 MGA
    Location
    Denver, CO

    The 034 team really knows their stuff. Walking away from all of those time attack contests with the best car in class really speaks volumes. A twin disc is an excellent clutch, no matter what the brand for a build like yours, IMO. Great for racing, especially 1/4 mile racing. Much better suited for preloading the drivetrain on launch and paired with a LWFW you'll see very little drop in boost in between shifts.

    For my 'build' on the stock engine, I think the 6 puck FX400 is going to be my best choice. I will be DD this car and am even keeping the stock dual mass. I want a comfortable engagement with no chatter, but obviously stand up to the torque to requirements with 605s. Seeing as how you're going to be seeing quite a bit more torque down low, I'd say the twin disc is an excellent choice. In fact, when I wind up doing the other engine, I will look into a twin disc of some sort.

    I like the attention to detail and that you're really researching your stuff. You're going to be so happy with your build, man. Can't wait to see it completed. If you do a build thread, keep me up and I'll follow it.
    Last edited by MDJ; 01-14-2012 at 03:35 PM.

  38. #38
    Senior Member Four Rings AudiForeman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 24 2011
    AZ Member #
    74541
    My Garage
    B5A4T.06R1.B5S4
    Location
    co719/303
    Items for Sale

    Quote Originally Posted by MDJ View Post
    The 034 team really knows their stuff. Walking away from all of those time attack contests with the best car in class really speaks volumes. A twin disc is an excellent clutch, no matter what the brand for a build like yours, IMO. Great for racing, especially 1/4 mile racing. Much better suited for preloading the drivetrain on launch and paired with a LWFW you'll see very little drop in boost in between shifts.

    For my 'build' on the stock engine, I think the 6 puck FX400 is going to be my best choice. I will be DD this car and am even keeping the stock dual mass. I want a comfortable engagement with no chatter, but obviously stand up to the torque to requirements with 605s. Seeing as how you're going to be seeing quite a bit more torque down low, I'd say the twin disc is an excellent choice. In fact, when I wind up doing the other engine, I will look into a twin disc of some sort.

    I like the attention to detail and that you're really researching your stuff. You're going to be so happy with your build, man. Can't wait to see it completed. If you do a build thread, keep me up and I'll follow it.
    im tryin to learn as mu h as i can considering i screwed up big in the past. i have been reading on the tilton and people are saying that if you slip the clutch it will be distroyed very quickly. what type of slipping are we talking about here? slipping clutch at the drag strip or slipping clutch getting out of first gear or going up a driveway or steep hill at a light. little confused here, i dont want to ruin my brand new clutch because i have to stop at my driveway and then slip so i dont stall on the incline. not totally understanding how these clutches are supposed to be engaged.

  39. #39
    Senior Member Four Rings AudiForeman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 24 2011
    AZ Member #
    74541
    My Garage
    B5A4T.06R1.B5S4
    Location
    co719/303
    Items for Sale

    and also i entered this thread in the b uilds section and it hasnt been approved yet, that was almost a week ago.

  40. #40
    Veteran Member Four Rings nefkntym's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 30 2007
    AZ Member #
    15262
    My Garage
    2003 A4 Avant, 2013 S4, 2014 Q5
    Location
    Falcon, CO
    Items for Sale

    Quote Originally Posted by AudiForeman View Post
    im tryin to learn as mu h as i can considering i screwed up big in the past. i have been reading on the tilton and people are saying that if you slip the clutch it will be distroyed very quickly. what type of slipping are we talking about here? slipping clutch at the drag strip or slipping clutch getting out of first gear or going up a driveway or steep hill at a light. little confused here, i dont want to ruin my brand new clutch because i have to stop at my driveway and then slip so i dont stall on the incline. not totally understanding how these clutches are supposed to be engaged.
    Can't say for sure, PM Evilevo, he had problem with Tilton twin. If I remember right, it didn't last that long and to make matters worse, Tilton didn't really help him out. He can give better first hand info. As for as engagement, you are suppose to be able to beat the crap out of a Twin disk, no questions asked. That is why I got an FX850, I wanted a clutch that would last no matter what I throw at it.

    Clutch Masters service is amazing, I have nothing but good things to say about them. I have heard a lot of good things about Southbend as well.
    2013 S4 P+ Estoril Blue
    2014 Q5 2.0T P+ Ice Silver
    03 A4 Avant ~ Polar White ~ No Engine - No Heart
    1.8T -> 24V VR6 -> 2.7TT ->3.2 VR6 Swap/Build thread


Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast


Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


    © 2001-2014 Audizine, Audizine.com, and Driverzines.com
    Audizine is an independently owned and operated automotive enthusiast community and news website.
    Audi and the Audi logo(s) are copyright/trademark Audi AG. Audizine is not endorsed by or affiliated with Audi AG.