Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Veteran Member Four Rings Rhynolite's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Whitish milkshake substance on oil cap

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    Hey guys,

Girlfriend's got an 07 2.0T with 51k miles on it. Recently coolant warning light has come on multiple times, checked coolant, level is fine, maybe a minor slow leak (couple of dried droplets visible on the AC lines running underneath). The warning goes off after a few minutes of driving, but this isn't really what I'm worried about.

Got back from Coffee Bean this morning and it was making some strange noises, so I poked around the engine bay. Coolant was still fine, checked oil, little low but not at the minimum, but upon taking off the oil cap I noticed this (upper rightish part of the cap mainly):

Any ideas on what could cause this? I believe this is coolant and oil mixing but I wanted to verify this before I start investigating further.
    -Eric

Senior Member Four Rings bman005's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    06 GTI

It could also be moisture collecting in there due to a bad PCV
    New Build, 2010 Tiguan. Details to com

Established Member Two Rings Longfist86's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    08 MkV GTI, 09 Jetta

looks like a coolant/oil mixture to me... could be mixing at the oil cooler, Ive seen this happen on VW's and Audi at the shop.
    GERMAN CAR DEPOT
    2130 Fillmore St.
    Hollywood, FL 33020
    954-921-1515
    www.GermanCarDepot.com is your dealer alternative.

Registered Member One Ring
    AZ Member #

Most likely moisture build up. Happens when you take lots of short trips in the cold. Engine doesn't get warmed up enough.

Established Member Two Rings Dad A3's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2012 Audi A3, 2006 Audi A3, 2008 Taureg, 86 VFR 750

Condensation mixed with oil on the cap, looks like sludge.
    It's a common occurrence here in the NE, I just wipe it off.

If you see that same crap on the dip stick, or in the coolant reservoir get it looked at.

Established Member Two Rings Countryboy's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2010 Toyota Tundra SR5 CrewMax 5.7L V8

Another vote for moisture. No biggie. Wipe it off.
    2012 Glacier White A4 Prestige 6MT, Sport Package, S line Plus, Debadged, Tint

AZ Member #

Thanks for the replies everyone! I wiped it off and will be keeping an eye on it, hoping that it doesn't show up on the dipstick.

Hopefully her car's gonna be going through some changes here in the next couple of months, getting a chip/drop/wheels etc. so I'll take some pics and post up the progress
    -Eric

Veteran Member Four Rings agkellyboy's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2010 S4
    Items for Sale

I believe this is by definition, santorum.
    Dolphin B7 A4 Ti 2.0T MT6 Quattro Project 400R
    Phantom B8 S4 3.0T DSG AWE Development Car

Established Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    B5 a4 avant, b7 a4 avant

I started up my car on one of these cold winter days after it had been sitting for a few weeks and Car sputtered and check engine flashed too, but then it seemed to be ok. I had the same thing after that under the oil. Hoping its just moisture build up too.

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Is the car overheating that look like a signs of oil n water or coolant mixture, which can mean blown head gasket or going head gasket... And smoke from tail pipe

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by B708blk View Post
    Is the car overheating that look like a signs of oil n water or coolant mixture, which can mean blown head gasket or going head gasket... And smoke from tail pipe
    I agree it looks like the two mixing, but I'm hoping not. 50k service was just done so I'll see if the milkshake conjures itself again.
    -Eric

Active Member One Ring
    AZ Member #

This happens on quite a few fsi I have encountered. Honestly, I was a little panicked when i first discovered this milky stuff on and under my oil cap. It reminded me of when I blew up my Acura legend with NOS. Now I am not so worried because it goes away in the warmer months here in Colorado.
    With much thought, I want to believe it is extra moisture (obviously) in the engine from the built in oil seperator that works with the PCV valve. Although I have even seen a slight residue of the emulsion on my dipstick, I am not worried and I am sure it is not coolant unless the car makes its own coolant. The coolant bottle has only dropped about 2-3mm in a couple years.
    Most likely your car is fine.

Active Member One Ring
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    1986 VW Quantum Syncro Wagon, 1987 VW Scirocco 16V, 1982 VW Quantum Coupe 2.0T FSI Project

Quote Originally Posted by agkellyboy View Post
    I believe this is by definition, santorum.
    Nice.

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

If it's just on the cap and you don't see the mixture in the rest of the oil or in the coolant it's just the moisture which has been the same thing reported on these types of engines since like 2005-2006 when the 2.0T first started seeing lots of use. No worries just proceed as usual unless you start seeing other bad symptoms.

Senior Member Four Rings 2.7taudi's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Before you even think about head gaskets, take the car out on a trip drive it atleast 30-40 miles. The longer the better. If it goes away, good.

My guess is this is from short trips like stated previously. Your oil is not getting hot enough to boil out the moisture and what not. Drive the car hard and long for a while.

Sent from my iPhone.
    Garage: 2001 A6 2.8 FWD 5AT & 2002 A6 2.7T 5AT

Veteran Member Four Rings B5A4Kevin's Avatar
    AZ Member #

moisture unless its on the dipstick too. santorum buildup if the engine/car has been engaging in anizzal sizzex. mmmm frothy discharge....
    Current whip:

99.5 A4 1.8T quattro Sport.

RIP:
    Brilliant Black 06 A3 2.0T 6-spd

Brilliant Black 01 A4 1.8T QMS

Pearl White 99 A4 1.8t QMS

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    08 A4, 07 Ram Diesel, 96 Cobra, 06 R1, 05 R6

my old vr6 used to have that same sludge on the oil cap. I always wondered what the sludge was but the car ran like a champ. I drove about 60k without any issues and then sold it with 190 on the odo

Registered Member One Ring Zolly014's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    03 Allroad 2.7t Auto, 97 Jetta GLX, 01 Chevrolet 2500 Base w/ HD grade suspension 2WD (Work Truck)

I'v been seeing this alot lately under my oil cap as well. what with it being 19 degrees in Pa as of all but today (53+). I did see some on the end of my dipstick but I wiped it away, waited a day and went with the daily routine of work and errands, nothing to report as of today. Looks like I'll rechecking the PCV lines. Thanks for the info everyone.
    I dreamt I killed all the douchebag guys with mad swag and all their duckface girlfriends..... I realized i had a dream about the yolocaust

Registered Member One Ring
    AZ Member #

I've had this recently too, however mine(only on two occations) has been pouring excessive white smoke out of the exhaust after about 10-15 mins of warming up. I'm praying its not my turbo :/