Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Stage 3 Forum Advertiser Three Rings
    AZ Member #

BFI - Audi B8 Clean Catch Oil Separator

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!

BFI - Audi B8 Clean Catch Oil Separator

One of the biggest areas of concern for the longevity of your TSI direct injection engine is the long term effects of oil vapor deposition in the intake and valve train. Even though all TSI engines come equipped with a cyclonic oil separator from the factory time has shown that these separators are not enough and that the biggest contributor to these vaporized oil deposits on the intake valves and plenum are the gasses emanating from the PCV system. Without additional filtering and maintenance your intake valves could look like this:

QUALITY

We have designed the best Oil Separator on the market for the FSI/TSI platform. Designed to help remove excess oil/water vapor from the intake tract and increase the longevity of your direct injection engine. The Clean Catch Oil Separator will be the only catch can you will ever need to buy.

Made from the highest quality components, these catch cans are built to last a lifetime, and beyond. Designed from the ground up with the honing of many different iterations of internal baffle design, these cans both look and function as well, or better than any on the market today.

ENGINEERING

Each can employs a specifically designed V-shaped baffle to maximize surface area for increased deposition of condensed vapor, without sacrificing the flow characteristics necessary for the FSI/TSI PCV system to function correctly.

Each design has undergone an extensive long term testing process - in both street and race applications to ensure that each can functions with maximum efficiency, without any loss in performance. Utilizing CNC aluminum components along with aerospace quality hose, connectors and hardware, these cans both function and look like an OEM quality piece.

SIMPLICITY

Installation of the TSI Clean Catch Oil Separator takes just minutes and is designed to allow clearance for the stock engine cover to be retained after install.

Every TSI Clean Catch system comes with a matte powder coated aluminum can, high flow #10 braided and sport-crimped hoses and hose ends, along with in-house designed CNC bent can bracket, as well as a billet intake manifold block off. In addition all aluminum pieces are anodized black for longevity and good looks!

Every Clean Catch system comes with our proprietary VAGPORT connection system, a revolutionary PCV connection system, consisting of custom designed and machined port adapters specific to Volkswagen and Audi applications. Each VAGPORT connector utilizes the same type of quick release connector used by Audi sport and Team Joest on all their competition Le Mans prototype racers.

FITS ALL ALL B8 Chassis Audi A4, A5 2.0T

Click Here To Purchase

Instructions Found Here

AZ Member #

Very nice product.
    What are the plans re the first batch for sale? Group buy?
    2010 PB A5 Quattro | 2.0 TFSI Stronic | REVO Stage II | EC FMIC/HFC/AK | Custom Cat-Back | 19x9.5 Nurburgrings MGM | APR Intake | AWE Gauge Kit | ST Coils | RS6 Wheel | RS5 Pedals | Stronic Knob | Custom Sline mats | HOEN | Rieger | Tints | SPC | HID & USP LEDs | Custom Sline Valance

Senior Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by Wah View Post
    Very nice product.
    What are the plans re the first batch for sale? Group buy?
    + 1 on the group buy!
    2011 A4: Quartz Grey Metallic P+ 6MT Sport Package

AZ Member #
    Items for Sale

Yeah, I bet a bunch of members would go for these. A group buy would be greaaaat!

Senior Member Three Rings
    AZ Member #

This is a bit misleading. First of all, the engine pictured is NOT the EA888 2.0TFSI engine that comes in our cars. Second, I've yet to see any proof that EA888 suffers from excessive carbon deposits like older VW/Audi engines. Not all direct injection engines have carbon buildup.

Quote Originally Posted by Black Forest View Post
    Even though all TSI engines come equipped with a cyclonic oil separator from the factory time has shown that these separators are not enough and that the biggest contributor to these vaporized oil deposits on the intake valves and plenum are the gasses emanating from the PCV system. Without additional filtering and maintenance your intake valves could look like this:

Stage 3 Forum Advertiser Two Rings
    AZ Member #

You are correct, the picture is not of an EA888 engine - it is a 3.6 VR6 - though we have taken apart several 2.0FSI and TSI motors that had similar or worse intake valves.

The EA888 has some improvements over previous generations, but there are also serious issues with the PCV system under g load or negative g situations (If you ever track your car). The PCV has the bad habbit of venting large amounts of oil into the intake. That is why APR Motorsport runs our cans on all of their EA888 Race cars (2 GTIs and 2 Mk6 Jettas).

Here is a video of the emptying of the shop A5 can after about 3000 miles:

Keep in mind that most of what is in the can is condensed water vapor that accumulates in the system. What we are trying to remove is the emulsified oil vapor that gives the liquid its peanut butter color.

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by Joe@blackforest View Post
    You are correct, the picture is not of an EA888 engine - it is a 3.6 VR6 - though we have taken apart several 2.0FSI and TSI motors that had similar or worse intake valves.

The EA888 has some improvements over previous generations, but there are also serious issues with the PCV system under g load or negative g situations (If you ever track your car). The PCV has the bad habbit of venting large amounts of oil into the intake. That is why APR Motorsport runs our cans on all of their EA888 Race cars (2 GTIs and 2 Mk6 Jettas).

Here is a video of the emptying of the shop A5 can after about 3000 miles:
    Very interesting. Do you have any pictures of the EA888 with severe carbon deposits on the intake valves? I ask because I've seen pics of 2.0TFSI and 3.0TFSI (2nd generation direction injection engines) with 20K-30K miles and the valves looked pretty clean...certainly nothing like the picture in your original post. The original FSI motor (1st generation DI) is a totally different story however.

AZ Member #

Our New Year Promotion has ended. Thanks for the orders everyone!
    Last edited by Black Forest; 01-17-2012 at 09:45 AM.

Senior Member Four Rings tboooe's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2013 Infiniti G37S Sedan

Anyone actually install this? Results?
    Good bye *sniff sniff* - 2012 Ibis S5 Cabrio (Build)|Sport Diff|Nav|B&O|CF Inlays|Adv Key|PDC

Mods: Tint|Clear bra|BC Racing HB29 20x10et30|KW V1|AWE Air Filter|Black Optics|Ecodes|Int LEDs|RS5 pedals|HOEN|EG CF valence/splitter|SPC UCA|FL shift knob

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by tboooe View Post
    Anyone actually install this? Results?
    There's good discussion going on in this existing thread: http://www.audizine.com/forum/showth...-Oil-Separator

Senior Member Four Rings tboooe's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2013 Infiniti G37S Sedan

Quote Originally Posted by Black Forest View Post
    There's good discussion going on in this existing thread: http://www.audizine.com/forum/showth...-Oil-Separator
    Thank you. Can you please confirm that this will fit on a 2012 S5 cabrio (3.0 TSFI)?

EDIT: nevermind...checked out the BFI website and no luck for my car.
    Last edited by tboooe; 02-10-2012 at 02:13 PM.
    Good bye *sniff sniff* - 2012 Ibis S5 Cabrio (Build)|Sport Diff|Nav|B&O|CF Inlays|Adv Key|PDC

Mods: Tint|Clear bra|BC Racing HB29 20x10et30|KW V1|AWE Air Filter|Black Optics|Ecodes|Int LEDs|RS5 pedals|HOEN|EG CF valence/splitter|SPC UCA|FL shift knob

AZ Member #

The pricing is very steep. Plus, the 2.0T engine from Audi has been known to be one of the least affected models by Carbon buildup.

Registered Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by MonzaA5 View Post
    Very interesting. Do you have any pictures of the EA888 with severe carbon deposits on the intake valves? I ask because I've seen pics of 2.0TFSI and 3.0TFSI (2nd generation direction injection engines) with 20K-30K miles and the valves looked pretty clean...certainly nothing like the picture in your original post. The original FSI motor (1st generation DI) is a totally different story however.
    I had to pull the head of my engine 2.0TFSI (EA888) a couple of weeks ago and the valves looked very clean, no visible deposits at all. The car has 35,000 miles on it and I change the oil every 5,000 miles using Castrol Edge (VW 502 00). Based on what I saw, I don't think the EA888 has any carbon build-up issues at all. Has anyone with an EA888 complained of carbon build-up?

AZ Member #

I'm almost a little worried to reveal this as I'm not too sure if its good or bad news. After about 4,000 km, I decided to empty my catch can but to my surprise it was completely empty. There was some nasty residue at the bottom but no liquid of any sort.
    What does this mean? I was expecting to get a half-full can with the nasty but I didn't even come close to that.
    Is my engine burning up all the oil consistently? Doubtful...

2010 PB A5 Quattro | 2.0 TFSI Stronic | REVO Stage II | EC FMIC/HFC/AK | Custom Cat-Back | 19x9.5 Nurburgrings MGM | APR Intake | AWE Gauge Kit | ST Coils | RS6 Wheel | RS5 Pedals | Stronic Knob | Custom Sline mats | HOEN | Rieger | Tints | SPC | HID & USP LEDs | Custom Sline Valance

Active Member Two Rings invncble's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    01 TT 08 S5

Quote Originally Posted by Wah View Post
    I'm almost a little worried to reveal this as I'm not too sure if its good or bad news. After about 4,000 km, I decided to empty my catch can but to my surprise it was completely empty. There was some nasty residue at the bottom but no liquid of any sort.
    What does this mean? I was expecting to get a half-full can with the nasty but I didn't even come close to that.
    Is my engine burning up all the oil consistently? Doubtful...

Can't speak for the A5's, but I have this system in my 08 S5 and it definitely does catch oil and vapor. I drive a lot, mostly highway miles. While it is not the cheapest option out there it is definitely effective. I'll try to snag a pic and upload it.
    01 TT

08 S5

AZ Member #

invncble,

Thanks for sharing.

AZ Member #