Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 40 of 71
  1. #1
    Senior Member Four Rings CrazyCal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 10 2011
    AZ Member #
    81074
    Location
    Oregon
    Items for Sale

    034 Motorsport Breather Kit Review

    Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    Just installed the 034 Motorsport Breather Kit yesterday. I was inspecting a coolant leak (which turned out to be the j-plug) and noticed that my breather hose was cracked and spewing oil. So, I pulled the IM, replaced the breather system with the more simple and durable 034 kit (Billet FTW!), and replaced the j-plug.

    All in all the 034 Kit is good. I ordered the Late-AMB version. I have a few minor complaints with it:

    -The Block breather to valve cover hose is about 2 inches too long. I'm not just being picky, the slack actually causes some bad kinks going toward the Block Breather "T". Enough to where it would restrict flow. If I adjust the hose to get rid of that kink, it creates a nasty kink in the split hose on the valve cover. Either way... no good. So, I just cut the excess off and it fits perfectly!

    -The fitment of the Block Breather is a little sloppy. It doesn't fit as snug as it should. When I put the retaining clip in, it stills wobbles around. Seems like it needs a thicker o-ring to take up the slack. Either that or a thicker retainer.

    -034 used one-time-use clamps on the block breather, but didn't seat the hose down on the lip of the billet breather. Instead, it was about a half inch too high which didn't allow the retainer clip to attach. The retainer clip has to wrap around the hose in order to attach properly. So, I had to cut the hose clamp, seat the hose properly, and use my own hose clamp to re-assemble. This really should be done properly at 034... or include extra hose clamps.



    Here is the stock breather system. The block breather tube crumbled to pieces when I pulled it out. I had to pick some of the pieces out of the engine. That was tedious. :( You can see some of them at the top, on the ground...



    034 Breather kit:



    Comparison:



    Before seating the hose on the breather. Notice the gap between the retaining clip and the breather.



    With the hose properly seated (new hose clamp) and retaining clip installed.



    Piece that had to be cut off at the top of the block breather hose before the valve cover breather split hose. Excess length was causing kinks. Cut the one-time-use clamp, pulled the billet hose connector then reattached with new clamp.



    The tool that helped me through it all...




    All in all, a good kit, but 034 Motorsport definitely needs to attend to these issues. I really shouldn't have to modify it as much as I did.

    In summary, the 3 modifications I had to make were:

    1. Seat the tube onto the lip of the block breather. Had to cut 034 one-time-use hose clamp and replace with one of my own.
    2. Shorten the block breather tube before it attaches to the valve cover breather "T". And again, had to cut 034 one-time-use hose clamp and replace with one of my own.
    3. **Not Fixed Yet** Use a different clip OR different/thicker o-ring to seal block breather to the engine.
    Last edited by CrazyCal; 11-18-2011 at 05:52 PM.
    ~Calvin
    2004 Audi A4 1.8T /// 6-Speed /// quattro /// Moro Blue Pearl
    || motoza tuned gt2871r elim || b7 thermal r&d exhaust || ns sport w/ b5 seats || v718 sunken treasure

  2. #2
    Veteran Member Three Rings sxman69's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 04 2009
    AZ Member #
    48777
    My Garage
    08 CRF250R, BLKMRKT Mob, Giant Glory DH
    Location
    Auburn, CA

    Nice review. Glad it all worked out in the end.
    -Sam

    New: 2009 Mazdaspeed 3 GT

    SOLD!!!! Staggared AMG Monoblock // Podi // Magnaflow // Forge // Kicker // Kenwood // JHM stud conversion // Tint //15mm H&R spacers // Hardwired Passport 8500 X50 // 034 Wiring Harness // Hawk HPS // 034 Blockoff Plate // MKIV Euro Switch

  3. #3
    Veteran Member Four Rings walky_talky20's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 30 2008
    AZ Member #
    30427
    Location
    Erie, Pennsylvania

    I've been waiting for somebody to review this kit. Very nice work there. I'm a little disappointed in the fitment of that billet piece. 034 makes that themselves expressly for this purpose, so they should be able to get it spot-on. As such, it's lackluster fitment is surprising to me. I will say the B6 breather "clip" is of a different design than the B5.

    B5 clip:
    http://www.ecstuning.com/Search/037121142a/ES7989/

    B6 clip:
    http://www.ecstuning.com/Search/06b121142a/ES280022/

    So perhaps that has something to do with it. The B5 clip may be less affected by the hose/tube diameter than the B6 clip. Just a thought.

    As for the hose being too long, yeah. But I'd much rather have it a bit too long than too short. Anyway, thanks for taking the time to shoot some photos for us. I know that takes some extra effort and it is appreciated.
    Last edited by walky_talky20; 11-15-2011 at 04:24 AM.
    ^Don't listen to this guy, he's not even a mechanic.
    2001 Laser Red A4 1.8TQM, 5-Speed Swapped, APR 93, Splitter, electronic oil pressure gauge, B6 Sport 17's, ST Coilovers,
    Need to borrow a Cam Chain Tensioner Tool? $4 for shipping. PM me. *Available*

  4. #4
    Senior Member Four Rings CrazyCal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 10 2011
    AZ Member #
    81074
    Location
    Oregon
    Items for Sale

    Quote Originally Posted by walky_talky20 View Post
    I've been waiting for somebody to review this kit. Very nice work their. I'm a little disappointed in the fitment of that billet piece. 034 makes that themselves expressly for this purpose, so they should be able to get it spot-on. As such, it's lackluster fitment is surprising to me. I will say the B6 breather "clip" is of a different design than the B5.

    B5 clip:
    http://www.ecstuning.com/Search/037121142a/ES7989/

    B6 clip:
    http://www.ecstuning.com/Search/06b121142a/ES280022/

    So perhaps that has something to do with it. The B5 clip may be less affected by the hose/tube diameter than the B6 clip. Just a thought.

    As for the hose being too long, yeah. But I'd much rather have it a bit too long than too short. Anyway, thanks for taking the time to shoot some photos for us. I know that takes some extra effort and it is appreciated.
    No problem. Glad I could help. It's hard to tell if the B5 clip is that much different than the B6 clip. It's all depends on the thickness. 034 could fix the problem by providing an extra, thicker o-ring that could be used in cases like mine where the fit is sloppy. It may fit snug on earlier years. Who knows...
    ~Calvin
    2004 Audi A4 1.8T /// 6-Speed /// quattro /// Moro Blue Pearl
    || motoza tuned gt2871r elim || b7 thermal r&d exhaust || ns sport w/ b5 seats || v718 sunken treasure

  5. #5
    Senior Member Four Rings CrazyCal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 10 2011
    AZ Member #
    81074
    Location
    Oregon
    Items for Sale

    I sent 034 an email regarding this review. Hopefully they'll check it out and address some of the issues...
    ~Calvin
    2004 Audi A4 1.8T /// 6-Speed /// quattro /// Moro Blue Pearl
    || motoza tuned gt2871r elim || b7 thermal r&d exhaust || ns sport w/ b5 seats || v718 sunken treasure

  6. #6
    Veteran Member Four Rings MikTip's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 25 2004
    AZ Member #
    4604
    Location
    Earth

    Thought about reusing the old green o-ring....as it appeared thicker....

    Used .060 stainless safety wire to assist the clip in staying put!

    I didnt remove my intake manifold....

  7. #7
    Senior Member Four Rings vhstejskal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 01 2011
    AZ Member #
    70333
    Location
    UT

    Great review... I'm also thinking about getting the late AMB kit they sell and now I have something to reference...
    -Vic

  8. #8
    Veteran Member Four Rings Pothole's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 02 2008
    AZ Member #
    29482
    My Garage
    2004 Audi A4 1.8T Quattro 6Spd, 1997 Jetta Trek
    Location
    Cathcart, Washington

    Quote Originally Posted by CrazyCal View Post
    The tool that helped me through it all...


    Glad to see a review, ive been looking at this kit also, and great choice on the beer!
    Please Drive Right

    FS: TT ballast, GTI Stock Springs, 2.0 Cams

  9. #9
    Senior Member Four Rings Charles.waite's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 27 2011
    AZ Member #
    77478
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Items for Sale

    As with everyone else, thanks for reviewing this kit, I'm definitely getting one, just trying to muster up the motivation to tear into my PCV system again.

    I'm fine with the extra length. Its better its too long than too short, and I think thats what 034 was thinking too. Its possible it is a part they're reusing from one of the other revision kits. If it keeps the cost down for us to reuse the silicon hose, I'm all for it as well. The billet breather "nub" not fitting securely kind of concerns me but my 3 month old OEM piece has a bit of play so its probably ok. I would just say monitor it over the next few months and see if it gets any oil seeping out.

    As far as the hose kinking, its definitely a concern, but not a HUGE deal. My bush league heater hose fix has a nearly 90° kink in it due to it being too long and it seems to be working fine going on 5 months now. Granted if I weren't so damn lazy I would have fixed it by now (and I wouldn't recommend leaving it since it puts a lot of strain on other components like the 3-way split tube among others). But 034 started talking about this kit back when I was about to fix it so I held off until this came out. Now that its out its getting too cold for me to want to wrench...
    -CP
    USP CLUB MEMBER #136
    2004 A4 1.8TQ 6MT USP - APR Stage 1+ - FSI Coils - BKR7EIX-11 - 034 Rear Swaybar (Soft Setting) and Endlinks - B6S4 Front + B7A4 Rear Brakes - 034 Street Trans Mount
    2008 Brilliant Black Unicorn (2.0t S-Line Ti 6MT Avant) - Bosch FR6KPP332S
    SOLD -- 2006 A4 2.0TQ Avant Tiptronic

  10. #10
    Veteran Member Four Rings MikTip's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 25 2004
    AZ Member #
    4604
    Location
    Earth

    The 037 121 142A retainer clip is the fix!



    I picked one up from the local VW dealer(Audi didnt have) and it works like a champ!

  11. #11
    Veteran Member Four Rings Pothole's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 02 2008
    AZ Member #
    29482
    My Garage
    2004 Audi A4 1.8T Quattro 6Spd, 1997 Jetta Trek
    Location
    Cathcart, Washington

    ^awesome, why doesn't it come with the kit me wonders
    Please Drive Right

    FS: TT ballast, GTI Stock Springs, 2.0 Cams

  12. #12
    Senior Member Four Rings CrazyCal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 10 2011
    AZ Member #
    81074
    Location
    Oregon
    Items for Sale

    Quote Originally Posted by Pothole View Post
    ^awesome, why doesn't it come with the kit me wonders
    Definitely +2.

    FYI the intake manifold is not as difficult to remove as it looks or sounds. I've heard lots of people on this forum talk about how hard it is, especially the hard line hose between runners 1 & 2. That hose was no big deal. Just need some long fingers and extra long sturdy needlenose pliers. Try removing the intake manifold on a Ford Probe V6. lol nothing but plastic nipples that shatter when you pull the hoses off.

    Quote Originally Posted by Pothole View Post
    Glad to see a review, ive been looking at this kit also, and great choice on the beer!
    My favorite :)
    Last edited by CrazyCal; 11-15-2011 at 12:40 PM.
    ~Calvin
    2004 Audi A4 1.8T /// 6-Speed /// quattro /// Moro Blue Pearl
    || motoza tuned gt2871r elim || b7 thermal r&d exhaust || ns sport w/ b5 seats || v718 sunken treasure

  13. #13
    Senior Member Four Rings CrazyCal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 10 2011
    AZ Member #
    81074
    Location
    Oregon
    Items for Sale

    Quote Originally Posted by Charles.waite View Post
    As with everyone else, thanks for reviewing this kit, I'm definitely getting one, just trying to muster up the motivation to tear into my PCV system again.

    I'm fine with the extra length. Its better its too long than too short, and I think thats what 034 was thinking too. Its possible it is a part they're reusing from one of the other revision kits. If it keeps the cost down for us to reuse the silicon hose, I'm all for it as well. The billet breather "nub" not fitting securely kind of concerns me but my 3 month old OEM piece has a bit of play so its probably ok. I would just say monitor it over the next few months and see if it gets any oil seeping out.

    As far as the hose kinking, its definitely a concern, but not a HUGE deal. My bush league heater hose fix has a nearly 90° kink in it due to it being too long and it seems to be working fine going on 5 months now. Granted if I weren't so damn lazy I would have fixed it by now (and I wouldn't recommend leaving it since it puts a lot of strain on other components like the 3-way split tube among others). But 034 started talking about this kit back when I was about to fix it so I held off until this came out. Now that its out its getting too cold for me to want to wrench...
    I agree. Small deal to cut the hose down. The only problem is, because I didn't know, I had to cut the hose AFTER I installed it. The kinks didn't show until the intake manifold was back on. There's lots of stuff around to accidentely cut (including myself lol), so that made me a little nervous. Fortunately, I have some crazy heavy duty scissors that cut through like butta.
    ~Calvin
    2004 Audi A4 1.8T /// 6-Speed /// quattro /// Moro Blue Pearl
    || motoza tuned gt2871r elim || b7 thermal r&d exhaust || ns sport w/ b5 seats || v718 sunken treasure

  14. #14
    Senior Member Four Rings Charles.waite's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 27 2011
    AZ Member #
    77478
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Items for Sale

    Quote Originally Posted by CrazyCal View Post
    I agree. Small deal to cut the hose down. The only problem is, because I didn't know, I had to cut the hose AFTER I installed it. The kinks didn't show until the intake manifold was back on. There's lots of stuff around to accidentely cut (including myself lol), so that made me a little nervous. Fortunately, I have some crazy heavy duty scissors that cut through like butta.
    Yea see I had the same issue with my heater hose. I just eyeballed the measurement and it was like 4 inches too long somehow. I just took my big ass kitchen knife and sharpened it up really well and went at it VERY carefully. Of course it is still too long, but given the amount of room in the area I'm not sticking that knife in there again. Too much could go wrong.

    Hopefully they can include some notice saying measure then cut the hose to the right length at least. That way people can avoid situations like you and I faced...
    -CP
    USP CLUB MEMBER #136
    2004 A4 1.8TQ 6MT USP - APR Stage 1+ - FSI Coils - BKR7EIX-11 - 034 Rear Swaybar (Soft Setting) and Endlinks - B6S4 Front + B7A4 Rear Brakes - 034 Street Trans Mount
    2008 Brilliant Black Unicorn (2.0t S-Line Ti 6MT Avant) - Bosch FR6KPP332S
    SOLD -- 2006 A4 2.0TQ Avant Tiptronic

  15. #15
    Stage 3 Forum Advertiser Four Rings 034Motorsport's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 17 2005
    AZ Member #
    7998
    Location
    Fremont, California

    Thanks for the review and feedback!

    We have revised the length of the Lower Block Breather hose for the AMB engine code so that trimming will not be necessary. I apologize if you had to take extra time to shorten your hose for installation.

    We will look into the issue with the retaining clip ASAP.

  16. #16
    Senior Member Four Rings CrazyCal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 10 2011
    AZ Member #
    81074
    Location
    Oregon
    Items for Sale

    Quote Originally Posted by Laszlo@034 View Post
    Thanks for the review and feedback!

    We have revised the length of the Lower Block Breather hose for the AMB engine code so that trimming will not be necessary. I apologize if you had to take extra time to shorten your hose for installation.

    We will look into the issue with the retaining clip ASAP.
    Right on! People helping people! lol :)

    The extra time to shorten the hose is no big deal. It's just like Charles.waite said above: getting in there AFTER the install to cut the hose is real hairy. So, I don't mind cutting the hose down. I just want to do it BEFORE I install it so as to avoid potential damage to other, vital parts.

    Thank you, Laszlo for your attention to this. It's this kind of service that gets repeat customers. :)

    Don't hesitate to PM me if you need any more information.......................... or to test fit new parts! lol :)
    ~Calvin
    2004 Audi A4 1.8T /// 6-Speed /// quattro /// Moro Blue Pearl
    || motoza tuned gt2871r elim || b7 thermal r&d exhaust || ns sport w/ b5 seats || v718 sunken treasure

  17. #17
    Veteran Member Four Rings boy412's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 15 2007
    AZ Member #
    19553
    My Garage
    1988 Alpineweiß 325iC
    Location
    Mount Rainier, MD

    Quote Originally Posted by Laszlo@034 View Post
    Thanks for the review and feedback!

    We have revised the length of the Lower Block Breather hose for the AMB engine code so that trimming will not be necessary. I apologize if you had to take extra time to shorten your hose for installation.

    We will look into the issue with the retaining clip ASAP.


    Glad to hear that you're "on it" 034.
    ~Eric
    '03 Ming Blue A4 Avant 1.8TQM | GTRS | Maestro | Spec Stage III+ | Vogtlant GT's | JHM trio | STE PPD | OEM+

  18. #18
    Veteran Member Four Rings walky_talky20's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 30 2008
    AZ Member #
    30427
    Location
    Erie, Pennsylvania

    Quote Originally Posted by MikTip View Post
    The 037 121 142A retainer clip is the fix!
    Wait, did my suggestion actually lead to this solution? Did I successfully *contribute* something (other than ramblings) to this thread? Seriously did not see that one coming.
    ^Don't listen to this guy, he's not even a mechanic.
    2001 Laser Red A4 1.8TQM, 5-Speed Swapped, APR 93, Splitter, electronic oil pressure gauge, B6 Sport 17's, ST Coilovers,
    Need to borrow a Cam Chain Tensioner Tool? $4 for shipping. PM me. *Available*

  19. #19
    Senior Member Four Rings CrazyCal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 10 2011
    AZ Member #
    81074
    Location
    Oregon
    Items for Sale

    Quote Originally Posted by walky_talky20 View Post
    Wait, did my suggestion actually lead to this solution? Did I successfully *contribute* something (other than ramblings) to this thread? Seriously did not see that one coming.
    LOL, no kidding. Sometimes it feels like that on forums. We ramble on and on and once in a while someone gets something out of it!
    ~Calvin
    2004 Audi A4 1.8T /// 6-Speed /// quattro /// Moro Blue Pearl
    || motoza tuned gt2871r elim || b7 thermal r&d exhaust || ns sport w/ b5 seats || v718 sunken treasure

  20. #20
    Senior Member Four Rings CrazyCal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 10 2011
    AZ Member #
    81074
    Location
    Oregon
    Items for Sale

    Quote Originally Posted by Laszlo@034 View Post
    Thanks for the review and feedback!

    We have revised the length of the Lower Block Breather hose for the AMB engine code so that trimming will not be necessary. I apologize if you had to take extra time to shorten your hose for installation.

    We will look into the issue with the retaining clip ASAP.
    Hey Laszlo! Any word on the issue with the retaining clip? Any chance I could get one mailed to me to complete my installation?
    ~Calvin
    2004 Audi A4 1.8T /// 6-Speed /// quattro /// Moro Blue Pearl
    || motoza tuned gt2871r elim || b7 thermal r&d exhaust || ns sport w/ b5 seats || v718 sunken treasure

  21. #21
    Stage 3 Forum Advertiser Four Rings 034Motorsport's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 17 2005
    AZ Member #
    7998
    Location
    Fremont, California

    Quote Originally Posted by CrazyCal View Post
    Hey Laszlo! Any word on the issue with the retaining clip? Any chance I could get one mailed to me to complete my installation?
    I'll look into the availability of the clips when I'm back in the office tomorrow. In the meantime, shoot me a PM or email with your order information.

    There are variances in the ODs of the block breather tubes that will require us to machine different size fittings for the later 06B cars. Until we run out of the current fittings, we will most likely be supplying a retaining clip with the kits that we ship out in the future. If you received a kit, and your car does not have a correctly sized retaining clip, please let us know ASAP .

  22. #22
    Veteran Member Four Rings Turbavanttro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 24 2008
    AZ Member #
    24530
    My Garage
    An Alarm
    Location
    Pennsylvania

    Quote Originally Posted by Laszlo@034 View Post
    I'll look into the availability of the clips when I'm back in the office tomorrow. In the meantime, shoot me a PM or email with your order information.

    There are variances in the ODs of the block breather tubes that will require us to machine different size fittings for the later 06B cars. Until we run out of the current fittings, we will most likely be supplying a retaining clip with the kits that we ship out in the future. If you received a kit, and your car does not have a correctly sized retaining clip, please let us know ASAP .


    ill be installing mine sometime in the next few weeks.
    So many Audis, so little time....

  23. #23
    Veteran Member Four Rings DownhillA4's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 23 2008
    AZ Member #
    30226
    Location
    Around
    Items for Sale

    Looks like I may have to buy this newly re-vamped kit from 034 as some preventative maintenance on my B6.
    10.6.14: Please donate to my best friend's Kidney Transplant Fund

    "If you are a true automotive enthusiast whom loves their car,
    you learn to catch rides to parties and leave your car at home."- dougyfresh

  24. #24
    Veteran Member Four Rings Pothole's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 02 2008
    AZ Member #
    29482
    My Garage
    2004 Audi A4 1.8T Quattro 6Spd, 1997 Jetta Trek
    Location
    Cathcart, Washington

    ^ dew it!

    threw mine in couple weekends ago and it didnt need any trimming, and the clip worked fine


    pulled the throttle body off, intake manifold brace, and move some of the wires in the way ( was too scared to try to take out the dip stick tube) and took me about an hour to do the job
    Please Drive Right

    FS: TT ballast, GTI Stock Springs, 2.0 Cams

  25. #25
    Senior Member Four Rings CrazyCal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 10 2011
    AZ Member #
    81074
    Location
    Oregon
    Items for Sale

    Quote Originally Posted by Pothole View Post

    threw mine in couple weekends ago and it didnt need any trimming, and the clip worked fine
    Hmm. Mine is also a 2004 6-speed. Wonder what the difference was...

    You SURE you don't have any kinks in the hose?
    ~Calvin
    2004 Audi A4 1.8T /// 6-Speed /// quattro /// Moro Blue Pearl
    || motoza tuned gt2871r elim || b7 thermal r&d exhaust || ns sport w/ b5 seats || v718 sunken treasure

  26. #26
    Senior Member Four Rings bondar1989's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 16 2010
    AZ Member #
    65748
    My Garage
    03 B6 A4 TQM
    Location
    Long Island, NY

    Quote Originally Posted by Pothole View Post
    ^ dew it!

    threw mine in couple weekends ago and it didnt need any trimming, and the clip worked fine


    pulled the throttle body off, intake manifold brace, and move some of the wires in the way ( was too scared to try to take out the dip stick tube) and took me about an hour to do the job
    I like to hear your's went well. When I was reading all this It made me hesitant about buying this kit. Now I will eventually buy it and hope all goes well.
    Dynojet 198WHP / 248WTQ stock engine. stock K03. APR Tune. AWE Exhaust w. Testpipe. K&N Cone Filter. Forge DV. B5 A4 1.8T Trans. JOM coilovers. B5 S4 Wheels. Stud Kit. Painted Lowers. 4500k HID's. Track density engine mounts. APR Snub mount. Apikol Trans/Rear Diff mounts. Engine Refresh(cylinder hone/piston rings/Head re-done)

  27. #27
    Veteran Member Four Rings Pothole's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 02 2008
    AZ Member #
    29482
    My Garage
    2004 Audi A4 1.8T Quattro 6Spd, 1997 Jetta Trek
    Location
    Cathcart, Washington

    Quote Originally Posted by CrazyCal View Post
    Hmm. Mine is also a 2004 6-speed. Wonder what the difference was...

    You SURE you don't have any kinks in the hose?
    they said that they were looking into the tube length before I bought mine and after your review... look like they have fixed the issue

    as for the clip I just tapped it on with a small mallet and a short round of wood

    my buddy that is an Audi tech says that the clips are usually a bitch and he hits the teeth of them with a grinder before reinstating them to make it a little easier
    Please Drive Right

    FS: TT ballast, GTI Stock Springs, 2.0 Cams

  28. #28
    Veteran Member Four Rings evo_ski's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 15 2010
    AZ Member #
    56121
    Location
    Bothell
    Items for Sale

    Hey guys, I apologize for the amateur hour question, but do you need to drain your coolant to do this swap? I saw in the engine strengthening thread a pic with the intake manifold off and it looked like people were wondering why they didn't drain the coolant first. Also, did you get a new intake manifold gasket when you put yours back on or did you just re-use the one that was already there.

    Sorry about the questions, but I don't do a whole lot of wrenching. I just ordered the kit and will be doing this along with a valve cover gasket swap here in the next month or so. Thanks!

  29. #29
    Senior Member Four Rings CrazyCal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 10 2011
    AZ Member #
    81074
    Location
    Oregon
    Items for Sale

    Quote Originally Posted by evo_ski View Post
    Hey guys, I apologize for the amateur hour question, but do you need to drain your coolant to do this swap? I saw in the engine strengthening thread a pic with the intake manifold off and it looked like people were wondering why they didn't drain the coolant first. Also, did you get a new intake manifold gasket when you put yours back on or did you just re-use the one that was already there.

    Sorry about the questions, but I don't do a whole lot of wrenching. I just ordered the kit and will be doing this along with a valve cover gasket swap here in the next month or so. Thanks!
    Yes. Draining the coolant is necessary if you want to remove the IM. Some people don't remove the IM for this project, but I find it much easier AND it's a good time to get some fresh coolant in there.
    You can use this tutorial from A4mods.com: HERE to help you out.

    Probably not a good idea if you can help it, but I re-used the IM gasket. If I had thought it out more ahead of time, I would've added that to my parts list.

    FYI a good place to get coolant for the Audi is at O'Reilly Auto Parts. They carry Pentofrost ++.
    ~Calvin
    2004 Audi A4 1.8T /// 6-Speed /// quattro /// Moro Blue Pearl
    || motoza tuned gt2871r elim || b7 thermal r&d exhaust || ns sport w/ b5 seats || v718 sunken treasure

  30. #30
    Veteran Member Four Rings evo_ski's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 15 2010
    AZ Member #
    56121
    Location
    Bothell
    Items for Sale

    Quote Originally Posted by CrazyCal View Post
    Yes. Draining the coolant is necessary if you want to remove the IM. Some people don't remove the IM for this project, but I find it much easier AND it's a good time to get some fresh coolant in there.
    You can use this tutorial from A4mods.com: HERE to help you out.

    Probably not a good idea if you can help it, but I re-used the IM gasket. If I had thought it out more ahead of time, I would've added that to my parts list.

    FYI a good place to get coolant for the Audi is at O'Reilly Auto Parts. They carry Pentofrost ++.
    Awesome, thanks for the reply, and for the detailed writeup. I will go ahead and snag a new gasket as well for the swap.

  31. #31
    Veteran Member Three Rings BerNur's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 31 2009
    AZ Member #
    38122
    Location
    Tampa FL / Astoria NY
    Items for Sale

    wanted to ask how important is for that side hose on the 034 kit to be connected cuz i dont remember where it goes...

  32. #32
    Active Member One Ring
    Join Date
    Mar 13 2013
    AZ Member #
    111319
    Location
    Bloomington, Minnesota

    It goes to your intake manifold. Look around you'll see where it goes. Its important.

  33. #33
    Active Member Two Rings trailrazer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 06 2013
    AZ Member #
    128727
    Location
    Oregon

    Great review. I was searching for breather replacement and came across this. Next week I have to go through and replace the PCV, crank case breather, plugs, gaskets and so on... I'll be looking into it.
    2003 Audi A4 1.8T 5-Speed FWD Sport

  34. #34
    Veteran Member Four Rings Pothole's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 02 2008
    AZ Member #
    29482
    My Garage
    2004 Audi A4 1.8T Quattro 6Spd, 1997 Jetta Trek
    Location
    Cathcart, Washington

    Saw this thread had popped back up and would mention that mine has been in for almost a year and a half and have had no issues once I switched to the upgraded check valve. The v1.0 was causing some weird long term fuel trim issues.
    Please Drive Right

    FS: TT ballast, GTI Stock Springs, 2.0 Cams

  35. #35
    Veteran Member Three Rings
    Join Date
    Feb 12 2008
    AZ Member #
    25194
    Location
    Michigan

    Does the fitting on the block breather being loose cause any problems? Mine is a little wobbly too and gunky from oil

  36. #36
    Veteran Member Three Rings BerNur's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 31 2009
    AZ Member #
    38122
    Location
    Tampa FL / Astoria NY
    Items for Sale

    For the big turbo goes or custom intake manis what did you guys do with the side hose

  37. #37
    Active Member Two Rings trailrazer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 06 2013
    AZ Member #
    128727
    Location
    Oregon

    Would you recommend this kit over OEM type replacement items? I'm looking at replacing my PCV, crankcase breather and other hoses. It appears more reliable and cost effective. I'm ordering parts on Friday so I can fix the oil sweating, change the plugs, replace some gaskets and overall refresh that's much needed. Then I can feel confident in some performance upgrades.
    2003 Audi A4 1.8T 5-Speed FWD Sport

  38. #38
    Senior Member Four Rings Charles.waite's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 27 2011
    AZ Member #
    77478
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Items for Sale

    Quote Originally Posted by trailrazer View Post
    Would you recommend this kit over OEM type replacement items? I'm looking at replacing my PCV, crankcase breather and other hoses. It appears more reliable and cost effective. I'm ordering parts on Friday so I can fix the oil sweating, change the plugs, replace some gaskets and overall refresh that's much needed. Then I can feel confident in some performance upgrades.
    Absolutely. I've had mine in for almost 2 years now and it's been incredibly solid. Well worth the price, especially considering it's cheaper than all the OEM crap.
    -CP
    USP CLUB MEMBER #136
    2004 A4 1.8TQ 6MT USP - APR Stage 1+ - FSI Coils - BKR7EIX-11 - 034 Rear Swaybar (Soft Setting) and Endlinks - B6S4 Front + B7A4 Rear Brakes - 034 Street Trans Mount
    2008 Brilliant Black Unicorn (2.0t S-Line Ti 6MT Avant) - Bosch FR6KPP332S
    SOLD -- 2006 A4 2.0TQ Avant Tiptronic

  39. #39
    Senior Member Four Rings CrazyCal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 10 2011
    AZ Member #
    81074
    Location
    Oregon
    Items for Sale

    ^
    This. Exactly.
    ~Calvin
    2004 Audi A4 1.8T /// 6-Speed /// quattro /// Moro Blue Pearl
    || motoza tuned gt2871r elim || b7 thermal r&d exhaust || ns sport w/ b5 seats || v718 sunken treasure

  40. #40
    Veteran Member Four Rings evo_ski's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 15 2010
    AZ Member #
    56121
    Location
    Bothell
    Items for Sale

    ^
    This. Exactly.


    Also, I find it hilarious now how I addressed Cal in this post like 8 posts up. I obviously didn't know you yet. For some reason that is super funny to me.
    Costco 92 Octane Gas - MANN Air Filter - 235/35/19 Tires W/ 36 PSI (cold) Tire Pressure - Grey Plastic Valve Stem Caps - 0° Front Toe - Rotella T6 5W-40 - 2 OEM B6 Keys - 18x8" Spare - Coin and Pen Filled Center Console - Rain-X on all 8 windows and Rain-X Cold Temp Washer Fluid - Valeo Wiper Blades (I want Bosch ones because they are better though) - S4 Trunk Latch - 159,000 Miles and Counting

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast


Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


    © 2001-2014 Audizine, Audizine.com, and Driverzines.com
    Audizine is an independently owned and operated automotive enthusiast community and news website.
    Audi and the Audi logo(s) are copyright/trademark Audi AG. Audizine is not endorsed by or affiliated with Audi AG.