Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    '07 S4 Avant MT6

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    I would sign up today for a 400hp 5cylinder turbo RS3 sedan or five door with an MT6 sight unseen.

Senior Member Three Rings
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2005 C6 Z51 Coupe / 2003 Mazdaspeed Protege

I pretty much had my heart set on ordering a '13 S4 post refresh, but the looming S and RS derivatives of the new A3 sedan have me losing sleep. The biggest problem with the S4 is weight, and it looks like that has been completely taken care of in the new A3.

Senior Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2008 Audi A3, S-Line, Ti, 6MT

Just had an interesting conversation with a sales rep at an Audi dealership. He claims that Audi is aparently now considering bringing the Sportback only and not the sedan... At least for Canada. And he did confirm it will only come as a MY14 car. The rumour mill is starting to get ridiculous...

Senior Member Three Rings
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2005 C6 Z51 Coupe / 2003 Mazdaspeed Protege

Canada I am sure is a better market for hatches than the US. If they do make a sedan, it will be for the US. However, if we don't see the base sedan here until summer of next year as a MY14, it could be a very long while before we see the S and RS variants. As much as my wallet would thank me for waiting, I probably should go ahead and pull the trigger on the '13 S4.

Veteran Member Four Rings UmIsThisThingOn's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    1954 Deluxe Sunroof Volkswagen

Yeah, the rumour mill is silly.

The timeline I remember is when the A3 Sedan was initially discussed (before last year's Geneva reveal) that it was going to be a US only release as a reward for not getting all the killer variants of the other lines (B8 RS4, A/S5 Sportback).

Then it went to being available world wide, with a large emphasis in getting it to the Indian and Asian markets, with possible factories in those countries to produce it and the Q3.

Now it's a worldwide release and we get the short shaft again with a MY14 release instead of what AoA prez said last Oct/Nov - a MY13/mid 2012 release here.

The good for me: my MY10 A4 will be paid off. The Bad: I don't think I have the patience to wait out a 'possible' S3 that's gonna be at least one MY behind the A3 if not a cpl/few behind.
    Last edited by UmIsThisThingOn; 05-16-2012 at 04:25 PM.
    Tschüß!
    Šave

AZ Member #
    My Garage

ABT has a Kit Ready to Go

http://www.insideline.com/audi/a3/20...r-special.html

KEMPTEN, Germany — German tuner Abt Sportsline has unveiled a special modification package for the third-generation 2013 Audi A3 that
    recently broke cover at the 2012 Geneva Auto Show. Abt calls the car the AS3.

Under the hood, the tuning house optimizes electronics for the A3 equipped with either the 167-horsepower 2.0-liter TDI or the 197-hp 2.0-liter TFSI.
    Abt boosts power to 197 hp and 247 hp respectively, with some unspecified mods to go with the reflashed ECU.

Other performance upgrades include new springs and a big brake kit with 13.58-inch discs. Abt also says a coil-over kit is in the works.

Outside, Abt has added a front spoiler, new grille, side skirts, revised rear bumper, spoiler and dual twin-tipped exhaust outlets.
    The package is completed by lightweight alloy wheels available in both 18- and 19-inch sizes.

Tschüß!
    Šave

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Intel Report: New Audi A3, More Body Styles for USA

There's hope for you Sportback lovers:
    http://www.fourtitude.com/news/publi...cle_7629.shtml

de Nysschen did stress that none of this is confirmed nor finalized, but that Audi may use the Sportback body style exclusively for alternative fuel configurations – possibly a hybrid, plug-in hybrid e-tron or even a full electric e-tron… maybe even multiple choices from this mix.

The theory here is simple. A unique body style dedicated to hybrid or alternative fuel drivetrains makes a statement. de Nysschen didn’t reference it but an obvious parallel can be drawn to the Toyota Prius. There’s no mistaking the Prius for any other Toyota and it makes a visual statement. Audi is thinking it may have a similar opportunity in the States with the Sportback. Such a move likely won’t make performance-minded A3 owners happy but it is in intriguing proposition just the same.
    Tschüß!
    Šave

AZ Member #
    My Garage

RS3 Sedan: Spiritual Successor to B5 S4

Audi of America Lobbied Hard for an A3 Sedan, and it's now lobbying just as hard for S and RS Versions.
    From: http://www.fourtitude.com/news/publi...cle_7631.shtml
    During our conversation in Geneva, Audi of America boss Johan de Nysschen wouldn't outright confirm the S3 and RS 3 for America, but he did reveal that he and his product management team are in favor of both models and actively working on both projects. And though he didn't say it outright, the focus here is the sedan.

Why sedan? We hear from sources at Audi other than the man himself that de Nysschen was the catalyst for this project. He lobbied hard for it because he saw it as the spiritual successor to the very winning size, price and performance combination offered with the B5 generation of A4, S4 and RS 4. Since that era the A4-based models have grown to roughly the size of a C5 A6 and have left room for the A3 to reclaim the niche.
    We hear the S3 will be powered by a new and more highly tuned variant of the EA 888 2.0 TFSI that is currently used in much of the Audi range. The high capacity 2.0T in the TTS and current S3 is an older generation engine and as such the Volkswagen Group will be phasing it out by the end of this production cycle of A3, TTS and Volkswagen Golf R.

Few details are known about the new S-spec 2.0 TFSI other than power. We've heard an estimate of about 260-hp through sources at Volkswagen though any other changes were not outlined as our source indicated that Ingolstadt is handling all of the development of that engine just as Audi did last time around. Looking at that past generation though, we wouldn’t be surprised to see strengthened intnernals and a larger turbo, while valvelift and less frictional loss should make for a more robust torque curve and better fuel efficiency. Who knows, maybe the new engine will even include cylinder deactivation as we've now seen in the 4.0 TFSI and 1.4 TFSI.

As for the RS 3, there’s little doubt it will use a version of the current RS 3’s 2.5 TFSI. That said, we wouldn’t be surprised to see Audi up the power just a bit for the new generation.
    Given the typical model rollout that's usually the practice if not the rule, we'd expect to see S-car variants about a year after the A-chassis derivatives hit the market. RS versions usually come along a year after that. That said, the US market won't see the new A3 until 2014 according to what we were told in Geneva by Audi AG board member Peter Schwarzenbauer. If that's the case, then we'd expect a more rapid rollout of S and RS models.
    Tschüß!
    Šave

Veteran Member Three Rings Sin_city_Rings's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    Items for Sale

/\ Interesting read.

SIGN me up! The A3 sedan will indeed be my next car.
    2008 Deep Sea Blue S5 6MT
    PAST: '12 A4, '08 A5, '09 Sline A4, '07 Sline A4

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

The latest thing I heard on the sportback is that we are indeed getting the five door - However, and this is a big however. It won't be gas driven. Audi wants to differentiate thier US etronic pilot program from thier other cars and since the etronic in the US is built from the five door A3 we will only be able to get the sedan and maybe the rag top in North America as gas driven autos. Big bummer, but I'm OK with it. Just means my 3.2 is going to get more desireable as time passes.

AZ Member #
    My Garage

280bhp For the S3?

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/news/au..._pictures.html

The S3 will be powered by a 280bhp 2.0-litre turbocharged engine - it 18bhp more than the outgoing model - mated to Audi's quattro all-wheel drive system.
    http://www.carmagazine.co.uk/Secret-...track-testing/
    Under the vanilla bodywork, Audi's new 2013 S3 will pack a 2.0-litre turbocharged four-cylinder engine, in 280 bhp/251 lb ft tune.
    Crossing fingers we get it here!
    Tschüß!
    Šave

Senior Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #
    My Garage

They will never bring it here... There are not enough cars for it to compete with except the VWs and that's like trying to punch yourself in the nuts... They won't risk their own sales. Europe has a ton of this type of car, NA has what, SRT4? That means Audi think it won't sell here because there is no demand....

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Gryphon001 View Post
    They will never bring it here... There are not enough cars for it to compete with except the VWs and that's like trying to punch yourself in the nuts... They won't risk their own sales. Europe has a ton of this type of car, NA has what, SRT4? That means Audi think it won't sell here because there is no demand....
    GDit, you're probably right. Looks like I'll be stuck w/ a Vanilla A3 Sedan
    Tschüß!
    Šave

Senior Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #
    My Garage

Till you tune it... lol

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Gryphon001 View Post
    Till you tune it... lol
    I learned my lesson on my A4 - never doing that again.
    Tschüß!
    Šave

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Lucky Brits!
    http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/news/au...ull_story.html

Audi A3 saloon: Early 2013/Audi S3: Mid 2013/Audi A3 Sportback: Late 2013/Audi A3 Cabriolet: Late 2013
    Not a stretch to think we'll get the Saloon/Sedan for Summer '13/MY14 (Typical August release).
    Last edited by UmIsThisThingOn; 05-16-2012 at 04:25 PM.
    Tschüß!
    Šave

Senior Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #
    My Garage

Well, looks like we'll see what the SB looks like, oficially, in October. They scheduled the unveil for the Paris auto show. Word is that NA will be getting the SB/Sedan and possibly S3... The SB may only be offered as TDI and/or e-tron.

Im sure there will be leaks, but till Audi announces it officially all we can do is wait and keep harassing them to get the SB and S3 here...

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    '07 S4 Avant MT6

Why does it appear that people want the S3 over the RS3 in the states? 280 hp versus a possible 400 hp stock... sign me up for the RS3. Is this just a retail cost thing? RS3>S3 bottom line.

Senior Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #
    My Garage

Essentially... Yes. I for one can't afford to front the kind of money a new RS3 will likely be going for... Much as I'd love to get one, it's just not realistic for me.

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Quote Originally Posted by LWonka View Post
    Why does it appear that people want the S3 over the RS3 in the states? 280 hp versus a possible 400 hp stock... sign me up for the RS3. Is this just a retail cost thing? RS3>S3 bottom line.
    They're going to have to Federalize both a sedan and a Hatch version of the new 3 series, so they could get away with bringing it here.
    But I think there's gonna be enough of a challenge getting an S3 here, let alone an RS.
    Tschüß!
    Šave

Veteran Member Three Rings Sour's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    B8 Brilliant S4

Quote Originally Posted by UmIsThisThingOn View Post
    I learned my lesson on my A4 - never doing that again.

The A4 is that bad huh?

Anyways I have no faith in AOA
    Past
    00' S4 Stage III
    02' S4 Stage II
    95' UrS6 Avant

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Sour View Post
    The A4 is that bad huh?

Anyways I have no faith in AOA
    To put that quote back into context, I was referencing tuning of the ECU. I paid my monies and took my chances and came up bust. I'll never tune another ECU again - regardless of warranty, implied or otherwise from any company. I'll stick to true hardware mods like the ones in my Sig.
    Tschüß!
    Šave

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    '07 S4 Avant MT6

They're going to have to Federalize both a sedan and a Hatch version of the new 3 series, so they could get away with bringing it here.
    But I think there's gonna be enough of a challenge getting an S3 here, let alone an RS.
    That's a good point, but I think with enough interest the RS3 could be a reality. I personally would love the rumored RS3. The S3 just doesn't do it for me. While it may be impressive, at least over a base A3, it's just a more highly tuned A3 IMHO. Not that I was ever interested, but that same analogy between the TT and TTS made the TTS a non-player in my book. It's like getting a tuned base model for above average cost to tune and mod yourself to bring a base 2.0T car to similar specs.

Senior Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

LOL, yeah.. TTS was just slightly more powerful than a TT 3.2, same with the S3 compared to the A3 3.2.

If Hyundai had a over 64hp increase on the same 2.0T engine for all their cars, then why is Audi charging a super premium for a 2.0T that was barely more powerful than their old 3.2?

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Car & Driver - First Ride

Photo Gallery:
    http://www.caranddriver.com/photo-ga...st-ride-review

http://www.caranddriver.com/news/201...st-ride-review

“Don’t study this car too hard,” he says, referencing the fact that this new A3 is fitted with items that won’t be available to customers until the end of this year. Those include the Quattro all-wheel-drive system; the racy, quilted-leather front seats; and the special blue exterior paint. Of course, his request has only set us on higher alert.
    I'll take all three please.

Audi incorporates more lightweight materials into its car—a luxury afforded by the A3’s higher price—including an aluminum front subframe and hood, items we’re told required a fight to implement. The new car’s body-in-white is claimed by Audi to be 176 pounds lighter than its predecessor’s.
    Sweet - I'm glad they won the battle.

In the U.S., we’ll get the first-ever A3 sedan, and possibly the five-door model. We hear the convertible is likely to be based on the sedan (the previous A3 cabrio used the three-door as its base), which ups the chances for U.S. sales. The initial engine choices are expected to be a 2.0-liter turbo-diesel and a 2.0-liter turbo four with roughly 200 hp, with a more powerful 300-ish-hp S3 maybe coming later. We might see hybrid and fully electric versions. The A3 four-door will arrive in the States next year.
    Pleeeeease!
    Last edited by UmIsThisThingOn; 05-16-2012 at 04:47 PM. Reason: Added Gallery
    Tschüß!
    Šave

Senior Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Aluminum subframe could save some weight, but the transverse engines coming out of VW's stables has all been extremely low tech, with iron blocks and lack of valvelift. I think every other non-US engine out there have aluminum blocks and pretty much all have variable valve lifts (don't even mention the no tech 2.5 or 1.8). I am surprised they got away with those engines for so long.

Veteran Member Three Rings Sour's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    B8 Brilliant S4

To put that quote back into context, I was referencing tuning of the ECU. I paid my monies and took my chances and came up bust. I'll never tune another ECU again - regardless of warranty, implied or otherwise from any company. I'll stick to true hardware mods like the ones in my Sig.
    Ah I see, you're referring to the Audi Memo I'm guessing. Just read it on QW pretty shameful. I didn't believe that was legal.

I picked up a b8 last week so your post jumped out at me.

great looking car, the article was pretty empty even for c&d standards though..
    Past
    00' S4 Stage III
    02' S4 Stage II
    95' UrS6 Avant

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Sour View Post
    Ah I see, you're referring to the Audi Memo I'm guessing. Just read it on QW pretty shameful. I didn't believe that was legal.

I picked up a b8 last week so your post jumped out at me.
    Not worried about the memo now that I'm out of warranty as of yesterday. I'm referring to the bricked APR ECUs over the last cpl of yrs, mine included.

great looking car, the article was pretty empty even for c&d standards though..
    Tschüß!
    Šave

AZ Member #
    My Garage

S3 Track Video

Do Want!
    Tschüß!
    Šave

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Fourtitude Has More Recent Pics of the S3 Round the 'ring

http://fourtitude.com/news/audi-rumo...rns-laps-ring/

More recent intel we’ve heard is that the S3 is go for America, though it will skip the 3-door bodystyle seen here in favor of the more US consumer-friendly sedan. A Sportback is also expected to be offered in Europe though its future in the US remains to be seen and is (at the very least) tied to the Sportback’s own chances Stateside.

See more photos of both spied S3 test mules in our Audi Photo Archive.
    Autoblog's Latest Info:

http://www.autoblog.com/2012/05/04/n...-next-audi-a3/

Later, with the launch of the five-door Sportback, a new 2.0-liter TFSI gas engine joins the group in the next S3, and an ultra-efficient 1.6-liter TDI. In the future, the 2.5-liter TFSI five-cylinder will go into an RS3, which the U.S. should eventually get in the four-door body.

Besides that distant RS3, the U.S. will start out in later 2013 with both the 1.8- and 2.0-liter TFSI powerplants, which have been made lighter and more efficient than they are today.
    Last edited by UmIsThisThingOn; 05-22-2012 at 08:41 PM.
    Tschüß!
    Šave

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Confirmed 2012 Launch!!

From their Facebook Page:
    http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...5976469&type=1
    Right now, the sedan is confirmed for US release late this year... Would you like to see the hatchback and convertible, too?
    Tschüß!
    Šave

AZ Member #
    Items for Sale

I saw that too. A miss print??

They have already released the order guide & pricing for '13 cars and the a3 listed is the old body. Plus when you follow their link to the C&D review it states early next year for the US release........Seems odd.

Never the less ive made the decision, whether its this fall or next spring im pre-odering an Sline A3 Sedan.

Active Member One Ring
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by Sin_city_Rings View Post
    I saw that too. A miss print??

They have already released the order guide & pricing for '13 cars and the a3 listed is the old body. Plus when you follow their link to the C&D review it states early next year for the US release........Seems odd.

Never the less ive made the decision, whether its this fall or next spring im pre-odering an Sline A3 Sedan.
    I think it is another confusing misprint. I already ordered a 2013 A3 when the order guide came out. It is a carry over from 2012. Now, the sedan MAYBE released later this year, but as far as the 5-door, it is staying the same for 2013. Oh, and good luck getting a deal on a new sedan IF it comes out...they will not be offering any incentives.

AZ Member #
    Items for Sale

Quote Originally Posted by 2012TitaniumA3 View Post
    I think it is another confusing misprint. I already ordered a 2013 A3 when the order guide came out. It is a carry over from 2012. Now, the sedan MAYBE released later this year, but as far as the 5-door, it is staying the same for 2013. Oh, and good luck getting a deal on a new sedan IF it comes out...they will not be offering any incentives.
    Time will tell on the release.

Also, yeah that was the word when i bought my 09 Sline A4. I was one of the first Slines at my dealer for the B8 and i still walked away with $3k off the car. Soooo.... Im not worried about discounts on an A3.

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Looks like we'll see the Sportback debut @ the Paris show in September. Possible sedan reveal @ the LA show in November, which would make sense because it's the first MQB car we'll have available to us.

http://carscoop.blogspot.com/2012/08...portback.html?
    Tschüß!
    Šave

AZ Member #
    My Garage

The Aug Audi Driver magazine has an article about the construction methods used on the A/S3, in particular the sunroof. The interesting thing is, it's not gonna be an internal pocket sunroof, but an external slider which will allow for a bigger sunroof opening.

I can't find any pics online, I might have to snag a pic of the article.

http://www.autometrix.co.uk/audi/contents/Aug2012.html
    Last edited by UmIsThisThingOn; 09-05-2012 at 06:56 PM.
    Tschüß!
    Šave

Senior Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

That's how the current sunroof is, a big external panel opens outward, but the hole inside is still just as small as a std sunroof.

AZ Member #
    My Garage

News From Paris Auto Show

Nothing we didn't already know

I am in Lurve with the seats in the Sline!

http://www.audizine.com/news/news.php?nid=268&npid=333

http://www.motorauthority.com/news/1...aris-auto-show
    Tschüß!
    Šave

Senior Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

radical redesign of interior...you wouldn't know it from the looks of the outside.

One noticeable thing is the outline of the arm rest and other lines goes beyond the door.

Veteran Member Three Rings
    AZ Member #
    Items for Sale

I'm a 11 B8 S4 owner and am keenly eyeing the S3 for my next car depending on cost/performance etc.

I love light cars and previously had a mk2 TT. But it just wasn't practical for me to keep long term. The S4 is extremely practical, powerful(i have the revo/stasis tune) and is great to drive with the sprots diff and hotchkiss sways but to be honest I rarely find the opportunity to really ring out as much power as it has.

For me a 3000lb S3 four door will likely offer the fun to drive, traction and performance i"m looking for in a more efficient and cost effective package. At least that's the hope.... otherwise i'll probably wind up keeping my s4 long term!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast