Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Veteran Member Four Rings audifirst's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    C5 A6 Avant, VW Golf TDI

valve covers leaking after 3 sets of gaskets replaced possible warped valve covers ?

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    I have been dealing with leaking valve covers for some time on MY 99 A6 2.8, originally they started to leak in 05, replaced it with new gasket, then in 07 replaced with another new gasket, and in 09 again they leaked in the same spots on both sides, then I just forgot about it, or wanted to avoid touching again, needed to replace other leaking parts , but smell of oil inside the car revived my emotions to fix it again, I double , triple check installation procedure , cleaned both surfaces , now I am thinking that valve covers are warped in those area that leaks , is there a procedure to verify if the valve covers are warped ?
    Didn't find much info in bentley then to replace gaskets again,
    I am starting to collecting parts for third timing belt replacement coming early next year, so thinking to replace valve covers with new one they are not cheap either
    Difference in Audi B5 A4 Clusters Click Here
    Difference in Audi C5 A6 Clusters Click Here
    Replace ABS module in A6 Click Here
    DIY-Rear-Differential-Seal-replacement in A6 Click Here

Senior Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    1999 VW Jetta TDI 48MPG!, 1998 F150

Have you checked the pcv valve? A clogged pcv will allow positive crankcase pressure and the pressure will build up and leak at the weakest part. Secondly, the common areas of leaks for this motor are at the cam timing tensioner gasket between the valve cover and the head on the front driver's side and rear passenger side as well as the half moon gaskets beneath them. The cam blank plugs are also a common area of leaks (rear driver's side and front passenger) And lastly, the cam seals.

Make sure when the valve covers are off that you clean out the vent tubes to the pcv valve in each cover. These often get sludged up. Synthetic oil with frequent changes helps here.

Best of luck.

Sit Down, take a look at it, take it apart, and FIX it!

Veteran Member Four Rings beemercer's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    '90 Cq - '13 R

x2 on checking the pcv system

Senior Member Three Rings Calimus's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    88' & 87' Scirocco, 89' Cabriolet, 03' Turbo S Beetle, 05' FJR1300

X2 on both mentioned trouble areas. Also, it's not a bad idea to use gasket sealant along the entire bottom edge of the head. Do that on the underside of the gasket to the head. Just need a thin layer, no need to pile it on.

Add the rear cam plugs to the list. They are a cheap easy replacement and often a leak source.
    William

10' Jetta TDi - Super Commuter
    02' 2.7t A6 - Gone but not forgotten

Stage 3 Forum Advertiser Four Rings Scotty@Advanced's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by Calimus View Post
    X2 on both mentioned trouble areas. Also, it's not a bad idea to use gasket sealant along the entire bottom edge of the head. Do that on the underside of the gasket to the head. Just need a thin layer, no need to pile it on.

Add the rear cam plugs to the list. They are a cheap easy replacement and often a leak source.
    We coat the gaskets with a thin layer of K2, it also functions in keeping the gasket soft and pliable.

Which gaskets are you using? Many of the Chinese replacements are made from quite inferior materials.

Scott DeWitt 720.4.GEARS.1 (720.443.2771)
    Contact me for all your transmission/driveline needs

[RED] Parting out 2003 Audi Rs6 Avant[/RED]
    www.AdvancedAutomotion.com
    FREE SHIPPING ON ALL SOUTHBEND CLUTCH PRODUCTS!

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Mine are dealer gaskets. However, it's just a precautionary thing I do from years of dealing with many types of engines. An ounce of prevention beats hosing oil all over your engine right lol.
    William

Veteran Member Four Rings G Men 08's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    You name it..
    Items for Sale

I have the same issue with my c4. replaced the VC gaskets and they still leak. What type of sealant do you recommend?
    B6 A4 3.0-sold
    C5 A6 4.2-sold
    C4 A6 2.8-current (power house)
    B5 S4 A few mods-current

AZ Member #
    My Garage

I used Permatex Ultra Black. It's the oil resistant sealant. You pretty much want to make a small bead from the top corners, down the sides and all the way across the bottom edge. Then put the gasket on and press it. Check for any excess on the inside of the valve area. If there is some, clean it out before putting the valve cover on. Pay close attention to the part of the gasket that has the big V notch. It's a pain in the ass to get the right amount of sealant in there without getting too much in.

Here is the video I found. Just watch where he applies the sealant and just extend it all along the bottom edge. Oil will poll in this area so to me it made sense to seal it all. That and as I mentioned, I've experienced leaks from other V6's and the extra sealant took care of it.

William

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    C5 A6 Avant, VW Golf TDI

Thanks for the video,
    I have replaced PCV valve the green and the black Y pipe every time I put new valve gasket, replaced the tensioner gasket, and the half moon at the same time, but looking at this video I didn't put that much sealant in the corners just a drop to hold the gasket in place and I put only to one side as per bentley , so I will do what this video shows and put a lot more perhaps this is what I need

vented oil cap

i don't know how much of a difference it makes, but i know the updated oem oil filled cap is vented as opposed to the original non-vented one, due to motor becoming pressurized when aforementioned pcv and check valves fail/get clogged...didn't see it mentioned.

AZ Member #
    My Garage

I picked up the vented cap when I first got the car. It helped a little, but overall, the spider hose system being cleaned out will make all of the above mentioned work & parts more effective. I'm thinking I might try taking mine off and cleaning it out over the weekend.
    William

Quote Originally Posted by Calimus View Post
    I picked up the vented cap when I first got the car. It helped a little, but overall, the spider hose system being cleaned out will make all of the above mentioned work & parts more effective. I'm thinking I might try taking mine off and cleaning it out over the weekend.
    If you'd be willing to do a write-up on this with pics, that would be amazing. :) I'd like to do the same thing but wouldn't even know where to start, I just had my valve cover gaskets, cam/crank seals/caps, cam chain tensioner gaskets all replaced and would like to do this before it's too late!!!

Veteran Member Four Rings 2001A6's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    01 Audi A6, 07 BMW F800S, 11 Triumph Datona 675R, 12 BMW S1000RR

Are you sure its the valve cover gaskets? The timing chain tensioners also leak badly, as do the end plugs for the cams.

Also, since yours is a 99, early 2.8s would leak oil out of the ball bearing looking thing thats pressed into the heads.
    ~Matt.
    -01 A6
    -86 Porsche 944
    -07 BMW F800S
    -11 Triumph Daytona 675R
    -12 BMW S1000RR
    The C5 Union

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    C5 A6 Avant, VW Golf TDI

Quote Originally Posted by 2001A6 View Post
    Are you sure its the valve cover gaskets? The timing chain tensioners also leak badly, as do the end plugs for the cams.

Also, since yours is a 99, early 2.8s would leak oil out of the ball bearing looking thing thats pressed into the heads.
    I have replaced all the seals, tensioner seals, half moon, the round seal at the back , just did a engine wash about week ago, at it leaks at the same spots , I have ordered new valve cover gaskets , I have re torque the nuts, and it leaks but not as much as before, once I get new valve cover gaskets I will pull the covers and I will check if there is a way to verify my suspensions