Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Senior Member Three Rings Speycaster's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2006 Audi A6 Premium (Wife's); 2008 Chevy 3500 Club Cab Duramax Diesel; River Wild, Custom Jet Sled

How to keep the radio from coming on automatically.

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    Hay, I was just wondering if any of you have figured out how keep the radio from coming on automatically every time the car is turned on? It is a PITA and very annoying. The bluetooth also stays on when the car is turned off. I either have to turn off the bluetooth on my phone or give up my reserved parking space, because it is too close to my office (phone is still in range of the bluetooth I Guess. I spoke with Audi service, and they say that this is all normal...WTF?
    I have a 2010 B8, by the way. I'll list all the mods as soon as I can get time to edit my sig.

Established Member Two Rings droppyale's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Not sure there's a way to keep the radio from coming on... What you can do is make sure you turn it off (press down on volume knob) before you turn the car off.

As for the bluetooth... are you saying it stays on in the car? or your phone? or both?
    2011 A4 2.0T Quattro Prestige Sedan w/Nav
    KWV2 - 5mm/10mm Spacers - Chrome Inserts - VAG-COM

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2006 Audi A6 Premium (Wife's); 2008 Chevy 3500 Club Cab Duramax Diesel; River Wild, Custom Jet Sled

That's what I'm talking about...even after turning the radio off during a drive and parking the car, the radio comes back on when the car is started. The blue tooth on the car and the phone stay on when the car is turned off. The only way to keep the car from answering my phone is to turn off the bluetooth on mu phone every time I leave the car (when still in range of the bluetooth that is). My office is about 40 ft. from my parking space at work. This is not an issue with my wife's A6 (C6).

Veteran Member Three Rings MYFASTA4's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    S4 A4
    Items for Sale

just turn it off before you get out of the car, is the volume the same when you start the car back up?
    2010 A4 Premium plus 6MT, B&O

2014 S4 6MT, B&T, sport dif., MMI+

Active Member One Ring
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    Ordered 2012 A4 Prem+. Currently a 2008 328i, 2009 Murano, 1995 Ford F-150 Work Truck

Quote Originally Posted by Speycaster View Post
    Hay, I was just wondering if any of you have figured out how keep the radio from coming on automatically every time the car is turned on? It is a PITA and very annoying. The bluetooth also stays on when the car is turned off. I either have to turn off the bluetooth on my phone or give up my reserved parking space, because it is too close to my office (phone is still in range of the bluetooth I Guess. I spoke with Audi service, and they say that this is all normal...WTF?
    I have a 2010 B8, by the way. I'll list all the mods as soon as I can get time to edit my sig.
    Not sure about the Audi system, but in most BT integrated systems there is a built-in 15-20 minute buffer after the car is shut off to continue the BT. The reasoning is that you can pull into your desired location and complete a call if you happen to be on one without having your call interrupted by shutting off the car. You don't have to complete the call while idling. Have you checked the BT connection after a half-hour or so to see if it has disconnected??

I have seen your comments about the radio automatically coming on, and a similar thread on another Audi site. In my 35 years of driving I don't believe I have ever turned off the radio before turning off the car. I expect it to be on the next time I start it as well. I may be too old and missing something here, but why would you want it off to start with? Not being contrary, just curious as to why this is an issue with so many folks.

Veteran Member Four Rings NPuter's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    '07 MBZ CLK350 Cab/'13 Subaru Outback 3.6R

Quote Originally Posted by Mynoles1 View Post
    Not sure about the Audi system, but in most BT integrated systems there is a built-in 15-20 minute buffer after the car is shut off to continue the BT. The reasoning is that you can pull into your desired location and complete a call if you happen to be on one without having your call interrupted by shutting off the car. You don't have to complete the call while idling. Have you checked the BT connection after a half-hour or so to see if it has disconnected??

I have seen your comments about the radio automatically coming on, and a similar thread on another Audi site. In my 35 years of driving I don't believe I have ever turned off the radio before turning off the car. I expect it to be on the next time I start it as well. I may be too old and missing something here, but why would you want it off to start with? Not being contrary, just curious as to why this is an issue with so many folks.
    As for the radio, it tends to come on very loud. I think it has a preset volume where it starts up to which is way too loud. I have just learned to immediately hit the mute button after starting the car.

As for the bluetooth, it sounds like that is a problem with you phone. The car's bluetooth turns off as soon as you exit the car. For example, if I have been talking on the phone and driving (using bluetooth), then park in my garage, I will turn off the car, but the bluetooth will stay active so I can continue the conversation. As soon as I open the drivers door, the car's bluetooth disconnects and the call switches to my phone. I just did this 10 mins ago.
    Also, I can see my phone disconnect from my car as soon as I open the drivers door after turning the car off. So it sounds like you phone is having a problem disconnecting when the bluetooth device (your car) disconnects.

Believe me, you car is not answering your phone calls thorough bluetooth when it is parked and turned off.

Senior Member Four Rings MilesM's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    '15 RS5, '12 Q5
    Items for Sale

Hold down the volume knob until you see Audi Media Interface or something like that on a grey screen. (Atleast it's grey for me) That will make the radio not start with the car.

Not sure about Bluetooth

Senior Member Three Rings OmaHahn's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    1-owner 1964 1/2 Ford Mustang convertible all options, 2014 Ford SHO

Quote Originally Posted by NPuter View Post
    As for the radio, it tends to come on very loud. I think it has a preset volume where it starts up to which is way too loud. I have just learned to immediately hit the mute button after starting the car.

As for the bluetooth, it sounds like that is a problem with you phone. The car's bluetooth turns off as soon as you exit the car. For example, if I have been talking on the phone and driving (using bluetooth), then park in my garage, I will turn off the car, but the bluetooth will stay active so I can continue the conversation. As soon as I open the drivers door, the car's bluetooth disconnects and the call switches to my phone. I just did this 10 mins ago.
    Also, I can see my phone disconnect from my car as soon as I open the drivers door after turning the car off. So it sounds like you phone is having a problem disconnecting when the bluetooth device (your car) disconnects.

Believe me, you car is not answering your phone calls thorough bluetooth when it is parked and turned off.
    OH my goodness Nick - LMAO! +1

If I push the volume button in (mute) it stays on mute when I start the car. If I hold the button in and turn it off, it stays off. As for Bluetooth, my car is literally 15 feet from my office, and once the car is off so is the bluetooth. It even says on my phone that it disconnected right after shutting off the engine. So your are 100% correct these things should not happen. Sorry I can't tell you how to fix it, but something is jacked.
    2009 A4 Prem Plus | 3.2 V6 | 44,000 miles

Lots of Mods!

For Sale:
    1. 17" OEM 10-spoke wheels set (4). Flawless Condition! Make Reasonable Offer
    2. 2009 Audi A4 Premium Plus 3.2 V6, 44,000 miles, excellent condition. $24,000

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Ok, I must be the most retarded, highly educated person on this forum. On the bright side, you guys are the most helpful group of people on any forum.
    As for the bluetooth; it was a phone issue. I called Verizon and did a reset on the phone which cured the problem.
    As for the volume issue; holding the volume button for two seconds to turn off the MMI, keeps the radio off the next time the car is started. Muting the radio during a drive, then tuning the car off, does not keep the radio muted the next time the car is started; no big deal though.
    As for the reason I would want to have the radio off when entering the car; leaving a business lunch with an associate (with me driving) and continuing the conversation upon entering the car.

Thanks again everyone for all the super fast responses. This place is so much better than AudiWorld.

Current:
    2010 A4 2.0T 6mt Premium (lots of mods 1/2 way done)
    2006 A6 3.2 tip Premium

Prior:
    2007 Q7 Premium
    2005 allroad 4.2 tons of mods
    1999 A4 5mt

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Ok, I must be the most retarded, highly educated person on this forum. On the bright side, you guys are the most helpful group of people on any forum.
    As for the bluetooth; it was a phone issue. I called Verizon and did a reset on the phone which cured the problem.
    As for the volume issue; holding the volume button for two seconds to turn off the MMI, keeps the radio off the next time the car is started. Muting the radio during a drive, then tuning the car off, does not keep the radio muted the next time the car is started; no big deal though.
    As for the reason I would want to have the radio off when entering the car; leaving a business lunch with an associate (with me driving) and continuing the conversation upon entering the car.

Thanks again everyone for all the super fast responses. This place is so much better than AudiWorld.

Current:
    2010 A4 2.0T 6mt Premium (lots of mods 1/2 way done)
    2006 A6 3.2 tip Premium

Prior:
    2007 Q7 Premium
    2005 allroad 4.2 tons of mods
    1999 A4 5mt
    I have the same functionality. I never turn off the radio before leaving the car, but I do hit the volume button to mute it before getting in. It has become a habit, so I never forget to do it.

I know the BT issue had to be phone related Either way, I'm glad you got it sorted out.

Welcome!

Senior Member Three Rings cyberbrutus's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by OmaHahn View Post
    OH my goodness Nick - LMAO! +1

If I push the volume button in (mute) it stays on mute when I start the car. If I hold the button in and turn it off, it stays off. As for Bluetooth, my car is literally 15 feet from my office, and once the car is off so is the bluetooth. It even says on my phone that it disconnected right after shutting off the engine. So your are 100% correct these things should not happen. Sorry I can't tell you how to fix it, but something is jacked.
    +1

The moment I turn the car off, my phone disconnects from car and switches to speaker mode.
    2011 A4 P+, Titanium, P. Black, Nav, B&O
    TD1, APR Stage 2+, HFC, Carbonio, LED I/L, VAG-COM, Hoen Xenon, Llumar 35%, 19x9.5 40F/35R AG M310 M.Black (Winter)

Build Thread: http://tinyurl.com/3zh6mtw
    Winter Thread: http://tinyurl.com/8x3oabo
    Project B.O.B: http://tinyurl.com/7gbgf65

AZ Member #
    My Garage

I have the same functionality. I never turn off the radio before leaving the car, but I do hit the volume button to mute it before getting in. It has become a habit, so I never forget to do it.

I know the BT issue had to be phone related Either way, I'm glad you got it sorted out.

Welcome!
    How do you hit the volume button before getting in?

AZ Member #
    My Garage

How do you hit the volume button before getting in?
    Psychokinesis?

Damn, I really need to get more sleep...

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Psychokinesis?

Damn, I really need to get more sleep...
    I knew what you meant. Just ribbing you. By the way, I'v been reading all of your greatly informative posts regarding the halogen to bi-xenon e-code mod. I've got lights on the way, which I purchased in the classified section, from Azine member jan31. The install, including the hi-beam wires shouldn't be too much of an issue; it's the vag coding stuff that is a little confusing. People were all over the place in that thread.
    Well I'll cross that bridge when I get there.
    Sorry for JACKING my own thread.
    I also forgot to thank Miles for the tip on holding the volume button to turn off the MMI.

Established Member Two Rings B8on19s's Avatar
    AZ Member #

I have a Fiscon BT unit fitted and even that disconnects from the phone when the car is switched off and key removed (it stays connected if the car is switched off and I leave the key in).

Strange that you radio always comes on and at a high volume too. If I switch the radio off and then restart the car, it remains off. If left on, it comes back on on restart by at the lat volume it was on.......

Something's not right with yours!
    2009 2.0T 155kw Multi |B&O|Sunroof|RearPDC|19" Matt Black HRE reps|Gloss Black theme

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...ps392c6fe2.jpg

AZ Member #
    My Garage

I knew what you meant. Just ribbing you. By the way, I'v been reading all of your greatly informative posts regarding the halogen to bi-xenon e-code mod. I've got lights on the way, which I purchased in the classified section, from Azine member jan31. The install, including the hi-beam wires shouldn't be too much of an issue; it's the vag coding stuff that is a little confusing. People were all over the place in that thread.
    Well I'll cross that bridge when I get there.
    Sorry for JACKING my own thread.
    I also forgot to thank Miles for the tip on holding the volume button to turn off the MMI.
    lol - I knew you were joking

Were were a bit divided when it came to the coding originally, but it is 100% solved now.
    I get this question at least 1x per week. Nonetheless, I am always happy to answer it.

[09 Cent. Elect.]
    Byte 0: Change to 26 (light source = xenon)
    Byte 2: Change to 10 (LEDs enabled as DRLs)
    Byte 14: Change to 1D (Bi-xenon flap = highbeam)
    Byte 15: Change to 0D (Bi-xenon flap = highbeam)

If you think were were all over the place regarding this coding, you should have seen what we went though with the ADS coding

Good luck with your install! PM me if you have any questions.

Established Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by mmaroney View Post
    Hold down the volume knob until you see Audi Media Interface or something like that on a grey screen. (Atleast it's grey for me) That will make the radio not start with the car.
    That's not a solution. While that will work, as soon as you hit NAV, the radio comes blasting back.