Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Senior Member Three Rings Calimus's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    88' & 87' Scirocco, 89' Cabriolet, 03' Turbo S Beetle, 05' FJR1300

Adding additional amp & sub to factory bose

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    So I like the way the bose system sounds in the A6, but I wouldn't mind a tad extra bump. I have a spare amp & 10" sub laying around and figured, why not add it to the A6.

So, I did some searches, and lets say, my head now hurts. So, I pose the question, what do I need to do to add the spare amp without screwing with the factory amp/sub from the bose system? I pretty much just need the location of where the wires are and which wires to tap into.

Thanks for any input on this issue.
    William

10' Jetta TDi - Super Commuter
    02' 2.7t A6 - Gone but not forgotten

Veteran Member Three Rings b4a41point8t's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    B8 A4 2.0TQ
    Items for Sale

inline converter. that's it. thank me later

AZ Member #
    My Garage

ok, so I looked that up and it appears I would just need to splice those into an existing set of the speaker wires and run the rca to the amp. well that should be easy enough. Much thanks.
    William

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    6mt 2.7 a6 with a million horsepower
    Items for Sale

You have two options, either using a line output converter post amp and getting an eq'd possibly crossed over signal or you can splice a set of rca's in pre amp for a cleaner signal. Everything can be done at the amp either way.

Let me see if I can find a pin-out for the amp.
    -dre

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    Items for Sale

This is for a b5 s4, but it's pretty much the same -

-dre

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Perfect, thanks Dre. That will make things a lot easier.
    William

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    Items for Sale

No problem.
    -dre

Senior Member Two Rings JustMtnB44's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Yep, I did this on my allroad with Bose system as well. I just took the 4 pin low level connector that came with my amp and added in a wire extension then soldered that to the wires in the connector in the picture above, matching up the correct pins. No converter needed and a cleaner signal.

Also, at least on my allroad there is an unused grommet in the firewall above the steering column that is very useful for running your power lead through.
    2004 allroad 4.2, Ebony Pearl Effect FBP, H-sport sway bars, Phatbox MP3 player, stock 18" wheels with Continental DWS tires, stock 17" wheels with Yokohama Geolandar tires, custom tow hitch

Established Member Two Rings DJPardy's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    C5 A6 4.2, B5 S4 Stg.2

I know this is an old thread, but where do you guys suggest putting the power wire from the battery through? And what fuse do i tap into for the remote wire?

And for some reason I cant find that grommet you're talking about.
    C5 Union /////////
    B5 Problems /////////

Established Member Two Rings TheSupervisor's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    02 A6 2.7t Tip, 01 TT Quattro 180

Quote Originally Posted by DJPardy View Post
    I know this is an old thread, but where do you guys suggest putting the power wire from the battery through? And what fuse do i tap into for the remote wire?

if you cant find the grommet then you may need to make your own hole. make sure you de-bur the hole and install a new grommet. you can probably find one at a local parts store that will be just big enough to fit your power wire. you will just need to find a spot that looks clear by using existing penetrations as a reference and then check both sides of the fire wall. not 100% sure but i think the passenger side is pretty open if you remove the passenger knee board. i could be wrong so maybe someone else could chime in. otherwise if there is supposed to be a grommet somewhere on the drivers side which for some reason doesnt exist in your car, that location could still be available for drilling.

as far as the remote wire, you can reference this:

Senior Member Two Rings JustMtnB44's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by DJPardy View Post
    Here is a picture. It is the large red wire, the grommet is next to the ECU. The grommet is closed up, you have to cut a small hole in it (it will stretch around the wire).

2004 allroad 4.2, Ebony Pearl Effect FBP, H-sport sway bars, Phatbox MP3 player, stock 18" wheels with Continental DWS tires, stock 17" wheels with Yokohama Geolandar tires, custom tow hitch

Active Member One Ring
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    A6 Avant

If you're going to be adding an aftermarket sub, id recommend unplugging your factory sub... You wont hear it, and if you do it will be muddying up the sound

Established Member Two Rings DJPardy's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    C5 A6 4.2, B5 S4 Stg.2

So heres the deal. Thanks, only to you guys, I got my system installed and bumping perfectly. I disconnected the factory sub and used the connectors pre-amp to splice into for the LOC. Everything sounds clean and it hits really hard. There's one problem now. My trunk opens (Mechanically) if I use the latch as if the battery is disconnected or there is no power to it, and I cant open it with the button in the driver door well or with the key. I touched nothing but the pre-amp wires for the LOC and the switched-12v behind the head unit for the remote wire. What could I have touched? An added note, the car will now lock by itself at random intervals but because it doesn't sense the trunk being locked it doesn't make the baamp sound. One more thing. My friend has a Mk-4 Jetta that he had 2 10s installed in professionally. His car does the same exact thing as mine. with the trunk not locking unless by key, and the car locking at random intervals. Please help if you have any knowledge of this issue.
    C5 Union /////////
    B5 Problems /////////