Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Active Member Two Rings thesaint's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    Black 2003 Audi A4 1.8T

ESP and ABS lights on. No speedometer readout

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    I get the ESP and ABS lights on and the speedometer no longer works. I also hear a "whining" coming from the engine. When I go from reverse to drive (upon backing out of the drive way) I feel a small click in the gas pedal. It almost feels like a wheel is slipping.

I know there is other threads with similar problems, but i wanted to post this because I didnt read some of my symptoms.
    "I'am the son your parents wish they had"....
    I'm new to the Audi world

Senior Member Three Rings R3V3NANT's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    B6 A4 1.8TQ, B5.5 Passat 4M Variant,

From the research I did, it sounds like the ABS control module. Come to think of it, I had the exact same symptoms on my Saab, and that was the culprit as well. As for the clicking/whining, I'm not sure on that one, and not positive it's related.

Veteran Member Four Rings diagnosticator's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Scan the ABS controller for wheel speed sensor DTCs. Dirty sensors are a common cause of this symptom.
    Vorsprung durch Technik

Veteran Member Four Rings Dan1969's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    08 Silverado 2500HD 6.6 Diesel

Codes Codes Codes. Also is it FWD or Quattro?
    17 Jetta S 1.4T, 08 Silvy LTZ 6.6T CCSB
    Previous: 1997 VW Jetta, 2004 Audi A4 3.0Q6MT, 15 Audi A3 2.0T Q DSG

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    Black 2003 Audi A4 1.8T

Quote Originally Posted by Dan1969 View Post
    Codes Codes Codes. Also is it FWD or Quattro?
    There is no codes. Here is what happens everytime I drive. I start the car and put it in reverse (my ABS and ESP lights are on. When I put the car in drive and begin to hit the gas I feel/hear a gentle like clicking. the ABS and ESP lights go away and the speedometer does work. During my drive I will come up to a stop light and when I accelerate I get the ABS and ESP lights again with no speedometer readout. Sometimes I do notice that my speedometer starts jumping around a little bit before it goes. The car will stay like this until the next time I start driving. Then it just repeats this process.

Veteran Member Four Rings Pothole's Avatar
    AZ Member #

sooooooo............not quattro??
    Please Drive Right

Veteran Member Four Rings Dan1969's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    08 Silverado 2500HD 6.6 Diesel

Maybe FWD and maybe you need a front axle... I don't know if that's related to the speedo. Is the clicking audible when you turn or just when you accelerate? if is not audible when you turn you need more than likely an ABS module but that spits out codes, any loose connection to your hardware would give you an implausible signal to mentioned hardware... maybe a loose connection on the back of your dashboard...???
    17 Jetta S 1.4T, 08 Silvy LTZ 6.6T CCSB
    Previous: 1997 VW Jetta, 2004 Audi A4 3.0Q6MT, 15 Audi A3 2.0T Q DSG

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by thesaint View Post
    There is no codes. Here is what happens everytime I drive. I start the car and put it in reverse (my ABS and ESP lights are on. When I put the car in drive and begin to hit the gas I feel/hear a gentle like clicking. the ABS and ESP lights go away and the speedometer does work. During my drive I will come up to a stop light and when I accelerate I get the ABS and ESP lights again with no speedometer readout. Sometimes I do notice that my speedometer starts jumping around a little bit before it goes. The car will stay like this until the next time I start driving. Then it just repeats this process.
    Since there is a problem with your ABS, the clicking you feel/hear is the ABS reinitializing as you begin to roll. Typically, with a correctly operating system, this does not happen as often, but it is a normal function of the ABS.
    Vorsprung durch Technik

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    Black 2003 Audi A4 1.8T

That makes since. Thanks for all the input. I have read through other similar problems. What items would be most probable cause of failure?

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    Black 2003 Audi A4 1.8T

Can there be some kind of air leak that could cause a problem?

AZ Member #

I experienced the same issue when i put in some retro HID's. The ABS and ESP and Speedometer would through out when i turned on the lights when driving w/ similar clicking. Had to do with grounding and the ABS module behind the drivers headlight. That probably won't help much but it could be a lead.

AZ Member #

One of the wheel speed sensors is used for road speed. I don't remember now which sensor, but I think it is the front pass side sensor. If the speedometer is not working, then there is no speed signal on the vehicle road speed signal wire, from the ABS control module. Either the specific wheel speed sensor is not generating a usable road speed signal output, or the ABS module is faulty. Because the ABS is re initializing frequently, I put more weight on the wheel speed sensor signal being the problem. And, if that is the case there will be a DTC stored related to the wheel speed sensor/s
    Last edited by diagnosticator; 07-26-2011 at 02:27 AM.
    Vorsprung durch Technik

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    Black 2003 Audi A4 1.8T

HKRALL, I will check all my grounding. I just replaced a check valve and noticed the sound of pressurized air coming from the area where a hose comes from to the brake control module. Diagnosticator, I was going the same route you went but there is not DTC's related to a speed sensor. I am going to check out that air line that goes to the brake control module. Is there anywhere I can read that somewhat explains how the brake controller works? Thanks