Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Active Member One Ring
    AZ Member #

Ignition issues, car wont start. Not ignition switch. Help Please!

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    I have an ignition issue with my 3.0 and would appreciate any advice. The car does not start but the battery is fine. Electrical still seems to work as I can turn on parking lights however I can not get the key into the Acc position so the radio and windows do not work. The car recognizes the key when I insert as the door ajar starts to beep but does not have any resistance as I turn the key and does not spring back. Also I do not hear the solenoid engaging nor does the starter crank.

I thought it may have been a broken ignition switch so I replaced it but still experience the same issue. I did not check the starter or ignition relay yet as I am still trying to figure out the correct locations to check voltage. However, the fact that the key turns freely without any resistance and does not spring back leads me to believe that the lock cylinder may be broken somehow because the ignition switch did not have a spring mechanism as far as I could tell.I plan to take out the ignition switch again to see if the tumbler piece moves (the metal connection rod) when I turn the key.

Am I wrong in thinking that the problem is isolated in the steering-ignition area? Does someday have any advice on how to check if the starter and ignition relay are getting voltage?

Thanks!
    TWB

Veteran Member Three Rings ben916's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2012 CR-V (sipping gas while I gulp it)

Do you hear the fuel pump prime when you turn the key from OFF to ON and then START??
    SOLD - 03 Audi RS6 Avus (905355), Carbon, Sportec cooling, Frozen rotors, EBC Reds, Aces 4, Apikol, Phaetons, Plus Pedals, Aluminum paddle shifters, KomfortBlinker, Hotchkis, RNS-E

Veteran Member Four Rings walky_talky20's Avatar
    AZ Member #

As far as I know, the spring loading for the "start" position is part of the ignition switch (the electrical switch part). If that part is new, and the key is turning with no detent or spring loading, then it would seem that somehow the lock tumbler is not turning the switch any more. The shaft that connects those 2 items (inside the housing) may be broken.

If you changed the ignition switch, that would have been a good time to test the system. Manually operating the new switch with a screwdriver or something to make sure everything is good and the headlights come on and the starter engages, etc. Then turning the key in the lock cylinder to make sure it is actually doing the job (turning the shaft which interfaces to the switch).

So my guess is that the steering lock/ignition switch housing assembly is broken internally. I've seen this exact failure on a B4 Passat, which has a similar ignition switch system.
    ^Don't listen to this guy, he's not even a mechanic.
    2001 Laser Red A4 1.8TQM, 5-Speed Swapped, APR 93, Splitter, electronic oil pressure gauge, B6 Sport 17's, ST Coilovers,
    Need to borrow a Cam Chain Tensioner Tool? $4 for shipping. PM me. *Available*

Veteran Member Three Rings ben916's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2012 CR-V (sipping gas while I gulp it)

Quote Originally Posted by s-quart View Post
    I have an ignition issue with my 3.0 and would appreciate any advice. The car does not start but the battery is fine. Electrical still seems to work as I can turn on parking lights however I can not get the key into the Acc position so the radio and windows do not work. The car recognizes the key when I insert as the door ajar starts to beep but does not have any resistance as I turn the key and does not spring back. Also I do not hear the solenoid engaging nor does the starter crank.

I thought it may have been a broken ignition switch so I replaced it but still experience the same issue. I did not check the starter or ignition relay yet as I am still trying to figure out the correct locations to check voltage. However, the fact that the key turns freely without any resistance and does not spring back leads me to believe that the lock cylinder may be broken somehow because the ignition switch did not have a spring mechanism as far as I could tell.I plan to take out the ignition switch again to see if the tumbler piece moves (the metal connection rod) when I turn the key.

Am I wrong in thinking that the problem is isolated in the steering-ignition area? Does someday have any advice on how to check if the starter and ignition relay are getting voltage?

Thanks!
    TWB
    this...

I had the same thing in another car of mine, key had to go in straight and then a slight tilt.... In my experience, it was painfully expensive... sorry
    SOLD - 03 Audi RS6 Avus (905355), Carbon, Sportec cooling, Frozen rotors, EBC Reds, Aces 4, Apikol, Phaetons, Plus Pedals, Aluminum paddle shifters, KomfortBlinker, Hotchkis, RNS-E

Active Member One Ring
    AZ Member #

Thanks for the replies guys, much appreciated!

1.) I do not think the fuel pump primes but I was not focused on listening for it ****-but I will do so tonight.

2.) Starting the car via the ignition switch is a great idea and I was just about to do it but then I read another post on the forums about someone doing the same thing and their immobilizer kicked in. According to the post, the key was inserted then the ignition switch turned (with screw driver). It seems once the immobilizer is tripped, the only reset is to take it to the dealer??? I have access to a vag-com but am not sure if you can reset the immobilizer with it. This has deterred me from trying this method for now.

I also saw another quick DIY about checking the starter by jumping a wire from battery positive to a connection pin from the harness that is next to the green 02 sensor harness in the passenger side firewall. Apparently the starter will kick if its still good but will not start. the car (so you cant steal a car). However, it was not for the 3.0 engine so i am not sure if the same harness and connection pin will work for me. Anyone have any thoughts on this?

Active Member One Ring
    AZ Member #

Gonna have it towed to my indy mechanic. 90% its the lock which will require custom part from Audi , but my indy can program.