Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Established Member Two Rings senecak's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    02 A4 1.8TQM | 04 Nissan Titan | 95 Jeep YJ

Humming Noise Coming From The Rear. HELP PLEASE.

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    I have to say this forum's been great a bout diagnosing issues on my car and providing the necessary "DIY" to get things done.

My car is an '02, 1.8T with 118,000 on it. I have a loud humming noise coming form the rear that's definitely not normal. Here's everything I know and everything I've done:

- The noise resonates from 35mph and up and is definitely coming from the rear. On the highway, its starting to overtake my radio at normal levels.
    - I folded the rear seats down yesterday and you can hear the noise loud as day! I had someone with me yesterday and they swore it was coming from the center of the car.
    - I changed the fuel filter, the other day. No resolution.
    - Power delivery seems fine, which leads me to believe its NOT the fuel pump, but I'm not ruling this out. Is it possible to have a pump make hummjing noise, but function fine???
    - The rotors and pads were swapped out 5k-10k ago. (I'm not ruling this out yet... I had one of these brake pads separate from its backing plate (it was inside and I didn't realize it until I was replacing them with the same pads).
    - The differential fluid was swapped out maybe 10k ago with Motul 300. I just noticed the noise a couple of weeks ago and now its progressively getting worse. (Maybe I screwed up the fluid swap... but I'm pretty sure its one drain plug and one fill plug for the rear???).
    - I put the car on ramps (on a hill so the car was still level) and checked the differential fluid this morning... full.
    - Inspected the CV joints... none of the boots are have tears or anything and they all seem like there in good shape
    - Cornering, the sound remains constant. Based on this, I'm ruling out wheel bearings, but I could be wrong. Yes, I drove down the street and jerked right and then left... no change... car handles likes its on rails... and the humming noise is constant.
    - Checked the tires for cupping... nothing there. Their Goodyear Eagle GT's with maybe 15k on them.
    - Wheels were recently powdercoated and the tires of course were all rebalanced (I'm not sure this sound is indicative of an unbalanced wheel though... I'm thinking no).

I searched on here and there's been a myriad of answers thrown in, all of them making perfect sense and having perfect relevance. My problem is, there's too many potentials. Looking for advice on how to diagnose the problem. Here are some of the potential issues I've heard...

- Fuel pump
    - CV Joints
    - Pinion Bearing (no idea what this is)
    - Brakes
    - Wheel bearings
    - Cupped tires

Please help... and THANKS IN ADVANCE.

Senior Member Two Rings Mi1lion's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    Ducati 1199 Panigale

Bearings, while jerking from left to right, your putting more load on the front then rear, hence the reason why it doesn't change in volume. I had the same problem, and changed both rears, now it's SILENT.
    B6 A4 USP- $$ Maker
    Ducati 1198- SOLD
    Yamaha R1- SOLD
    Kawi Ultra 250x- Gone w/ the Wind

AZ Member #
    My Garage

When I say, "the humming noise remains constant while corning"... I mean its still there alive and well. The tone just doesn't change. I thought for sure if it were wheel bearings the noise would worsen or improve the humming noise. No??? Would the bearings cause the noise to sound like its coming from the center of the car???

Sorry if I'm not making any sense here... I'm merely doing my best to describe what I've done. I'm more then willing to replace the bearings... wouldn't hurt anyways at 118k.

Veteran Member Four Rings EErie B6's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    Honda HRX

the pinion bearing is inside the rear end "pumpkin".

If it wears, it can throw off the alignment of the pinion gear in relation to the ring gear and cause a humming.

you should be able to check it by putting the car in neutral and shaking the rear part of the drive shaft looking for side to side play.

car must be in neutral to take any potential load off the shaft, so take all necessary precautions to keep it from potentially falling on you.
    Last edited by EErie B6; 05-13-2011 at 09:13 AM.
    -John

"I don't always have a signature, but when I do, it goes here."

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    Ducati 1199 Panigale

Check first what Errie said, since it's the quickest (cheapest) way to troubleshoot, as I also did this as well. But I can bet that it's the bearing(s). I'll give you an example. I just had mine changed at around 155K and the first day they (USP Motorsports) only had time to do the passenger side rear (bearing fused to the hub) so after like 5 hours (literally TONS of pressing and Cryo to shrink it) they finally got it done (the one side). But the noise was STILL F***KING there when I left, I thought it would at least improve, but nothing changed, and i for sure that it was something else. So the next day when they changed the driver's side (another 3 hours) it was like God's touch. That ONE bearing made the whole car hum, and yes it sounded like it was coming from the center, back, and even the front at times, it just resonates throughout the car, and fools your ears.
    B6 A4 USP- $$ Maker
    Ducati 1198- SOLD
    Yamaha R1- SOLD

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Alright... here's the plan for tomorrow.

1) Put the car on a lift and check the driveshaft for side to side play
    2) Rotate the tires and take her out for a spin to see if the noise moves
    3) Those two fail... Order new wheel bearings.

Anyone know of a REAR wheel bearing DIY??? I found a front and don't see anything on the rear.

Stage 3 Forum Advertiser Four Rings ECS Tuning-Audi's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Here is a DIY for rear wheel bearings for B5. It's a little different for a B6 but at least it gives you an idea of whats involved.

Rear wheel bearing DIY

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Jason
    Have questions need answers now? Live Chat! 8:30AM to 11PM EST
    sales@ecstuning.com |customerservice@ecstuning.com
    Customer Service Hours: 8:00AM to 8:00PM EST
    Reach our Sales Team from: 8:00AM to 11:00PM EST
    OEM Audi Part Number Search with Pricing<--- Click me!

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    Honda HRX

I want to say you can check the rear bearings for wear by grabbing a wheel spoke (while its on the ground) and shaking (push - pull) and trying to detect slop. the whole car should wiggle a bit because there is side wall flex (stiff solid feeling wiggle)... but if you feel any clicking or slight clunking (play or a metal on metal feel) then something is wrong. Slop could be caused by a bad bearing or worn suspension bushings... but at least it should narrow you down to a particular corner.

If you don't understand what i was trying to explain about the "slop", then go around and try all 4 wheels and see if one feels different than the rest.

You want to put a little bit of muscle in it, like you are trying to pull the wheel off (while pushing back just as hard)... but only pull on 1 side of the wheel, typically the top.
    -John

AZ Member #

John is correct. Although it will be easier to feel the "slop" if the wheel is off the ground. It will almost feel like the wheel isn't bolted down all the way.

Jason

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    Honda HRX

Quote Originally Posted by Jason@ECSTuning View Post
    John is correct. Although it will be easier to feel the "slop" if the wheel is off the ground. It will almost feel like the wheel isn't bolted down all the way.

Jason
    thats true. It would be easier with weight off. I was thinking and trying to explain how id do it with the car sitting in the driveway.

...the wheel not being bolted tight is a good comparison.
    -John

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Jason - Is there some benefit in using you to order parts or should we just go to the website. I've ordered half my car from ECSTuning, so I figured I'd ask.

I will add the wheel bearing test to the list of things to check. Haven't done it because I've been driving on ramps up until now and figured I couldn't really determine anything with the car on the ground.

AZ Member #

Either or, I don't mind taking orders. Its more so the guys in customer services job but for someone who is not as inclined about cars/which parts to get or is having trouble deciding on what manufacture to go with I'll be happy to offer my advice or personal preference.

What a lot of people do is send me a parts request (part numbers are a plus), I'll built them a cart and then email or PM that cart to them which has all the prices plus shipping that way all they have to do is click "check out" and fill out their billing and shipping info.

The more parts I that have my name attached to it the better it looks on my end :)

Jason

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Shall do. Once I get through all of this diagnostic stuff tomorrow, you'll most likely be hearing from me. I have an order en-route as we speak... I wish this problem rear'd its ugly head sooner so I could throw everything in one order.

with my car having 118,000 on it, I'm inclined to go with your aftermarket bearings, seeing I can get two for the price of one basically. Thus far, that hasn't had any adverse side affects. What are your thoughts?

Senior Member Three Rings jonsaudi's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2003 A4 1.8T tip quattro

Could be just tires need to be replaced. After a while, some tires when they wear out gets noisier. I've had humming noise in mine for the past mos, turns out my tires were wearing out from the inner edge so I didn't notice any wearing. I had all 4 tires replaced just the other day and the noise is no more. Pretty soon I'll be getting alignment done to fix the uneven tire wear.
    03 A4 B6 1.8T Tiptronic Brilliant Black quattro Sport Pkg //18" RS4 style rims //35% tint //Zimmermann x-drilled //Hawk HPS //CF wrapped trim.

AZ Member #
    My Garage

That's such a double edged sword. Great that it may be a solution. A pisser that I'm back in the whole $XXX amount of dollars.

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Here's my update.

1) jacked up both sides and checked the wheels for play. Nothing. I was pushing and pulling with decent force.
    2) Rotated the tires..... still no resolution.

I did not get a chance to check the driveshaft for side to side motion..will do tomorrow.

Still thinking wheel bearings?

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    Honda HRX

if you say it feels tight, then i'd think no. wheel bearings usually have a low rumble to them anyways... like a brake pad dragging. Very annoying, but not a "hum"

The ring & pinion makes a sound just like you describe, its just kind of odd that it would go bad. I can't recall any other threads about this.
    -John

Senior Member Three Rings 1ScientisT's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Wheel bearings don't have to have play to be bad. I've had a couple that felt tight during the "wiggle" test but were totally cooked...

Veteran Member Three Rings A4.Rob's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by 1ScientisT View Post
    Wheel bearings don't have to have play to be bad. I've had a couple that felt tight during the "wiggle" test but were totally cooked...
    x2 on this.

senecak this is without a doubt a bad wheel bearing. The fact that it starts humming from 35mph and up says it all.

get it changed asap.
    2003 Audi A4 1.8TQM

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Thanks guys. I'll swap out the rear bearings.

Jason - you guys have two types. I'll take cheaper of the two (aftermarket ones) . Is there anything else I need to do this job?

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    Ducati 1199 Panigale

I just checked ECS's site, and they will rape you with that price. I ordered mine from PureMS Clicky Here. It cam out to like $80 for both shipped. That's the bearing and bolt, I think they were SKF. You can also call them. But ECS is way over priced. Hope that helps
    B6 A4 USP- $$ Maker
    Ducati 1198- SOLD
    Yamaha R1- SOLD

Established Member Two Rings 42no_B6's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    05 STI, 05 gsxr 1000

Here's my experience and what I know. Same noise from 30mph-60mph, then would go away. Located the noise coming from the rear. Jerking the car doesn't make a difference because you need to remove load. While cornering at about 50mph making a left noise declined, thus meaning the load was taken off the left rear wheel bearing. Wiggling the wheel didn't have any extreme play, however when I took everything off down to the hub I found there was a noticeable amount of play, and with the car in neutral (Mine's a quattro) and while rotating the hub I could hear and feel it growl. After replacing the rear wheel bearing noise was gone. Don't know if that helps but like I said thats my experience and knowledge. Good luck

AZ Member #
    My Garage

PureMS has a bearing for $40 and a bolt for $15
    ECSTuning has the two for $61

Am I missing something? Did PureMS send your bearing with a bolt?

Either way, I have to order two by the end of today so I can have it ship first thing tomorrow.

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    Ducati 1199 Panigale

Yes that's their "kit", bearing and bolt. You can also call John for reassurance. I know it was around $80 shipped for BOTH not one
    B6 A4 USP- $$ Maker
    Ducati 1198- SOLD
    Yamaha R1- SOLD

AZ Member #
    My Garage

I failed to accomplish anything yesterday as a result of no stores around me having a 14mm allen socket. So I have a bunch of parts/tools on order which I should receive by Friday. Will continue this saga next weekend. Thank you everyone for the posts... In the mean time, everything's soaking in rust penetrant...

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by senecak View Post
    Thanks guys. I'll swap out the rear bearings.

Jason - you guys have two types. I'll take cheaper of the two (aftermarket ones) . Is there anything else I need to do this job?

Usually you should replace the hub bolt which I believe is included in the kit. If not we have them available, other than that that's it!

Jason

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Progress continues...

- First box of parts arrived. Two more on the way.
    - Called harbor Freight last night and asked about them having a 12 ton press in stock. They obliged and said, "yep, we got em". Figured I'd buy one rather then drive around and pay to have my bearings swapped. I get there and there all missing box 2 of 3 (apparently it comes in three boxes). They offer to sell me the 20 ton, meeting me in the middle on price AND letting me use the 20% off coupon. So for an $25 I picked up a 20 ton press instead. :-)

The photos in the DIY, don't seem to look like the rear end on my car, but I think I can figure it out. If I have the motivation, I'll take pictures along the way.

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Its been a few weeks and I finally got around to changing the first rear wheel bearing. Fail. Noise is still there. Going to change out the other one next weekend. Should go a lot quicker now that I've worked my way through the first one. Harbor Freight 20t press is doing the trick without much issue. I thought for sure I had it. One of the bearings didn't feel too good when I got the carrier out, but no go. Well see if the other bearing fixes the issue.

I put Motul 300V in the rear differential some 8-9 months ago. Is it possible, that's not holding up? I think I'm going to order something else to replace it and see if that helps at all.

AZ Member #
    My Garage

UPDATE:

- I finished replacing both rear wheel bearings. Problem is still there.
    - Checked the rear brakes. Their new as of maybe 15,000 miles ago. They look fine... nothing alarming.
    - Tires were rotated (as mentioned in my previous post).
    - Fuel filter was replaced
    - As a precautionary measure, I drained the Motul fluid out of the differential and replaced it with straight GL5 Lubrimoly Synthetic 75W90

So now what's next????

- I'm almost certain the noise is coming from the differential. So unless someone can convince me otherwise, I'm going to move onto the pinion bearing. Does anyone have a DIY for this?

- I don't think the issue is associated with the fuel pump. On the highway, I can throw the car in neutral and let it idle down and the noise is constant. I'm assuming if it were fuel pump related, the noise would increase and decrease with the push of the gas pedal.

- I've heard of someone people say their CV joints were bad. Is there a test for this? Can I buy new ones and simply pull them out of the differential and replace them?

Someone's got to have a solution here.

Can someone put their rear seats down and drive around with them for a week and let me know if you hear anything?

Maybe I can get the car on a lift and do the screwdriver to the pumpkin test and see if it sounds like its coming from that.

I'm open up for suggestions here! At this point, I'm drawing blanks. ANY AND ALL HELP IS MUCH APPRECIATED. On principal, I'm going to keep swapping parts until I find this son of a bi*&^!

Senior Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

[QUOTE=senecak;6591779]UPDATE:

On the highway, I can throw the car in neutral and let it idle down and the noise is constant. I'm assuming if it were fuel pump related, the noise would increase and decrease with the push of the gas pedal.
    QUOTE]

i posted about the same noise that shows up around 25mph and is loudest at 55mph. same sound if on gas or in neutral /coasting.

i greatly appreciate your listing the repaires you made and the results. sounded for sure like it was goign to be the wheel bearings, so i was surprised to find out it didn't change anything.

although our cars are different, that noise sounds just the same.

have you fixed it yet? what was it if so. thanks
    gone - 06 s4 anniv. edtn - #215 of 250; Fast Intentions full system
    now - 2013 S4 6MT monsoon grey + AWE system

Veteran Member Four Rings A4SoftWalker's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    02A4 1.8TQMS, 05V70R, BMW535i

Ummm I guess u are in over your head on this one.

If u are sure it is the pinion gear (Not sure if u mentioned checking or swapping fuel filter or not, only saw fuel pump.):

I would recommend sourcing a fairly used differential from shokan.com or other local parts yard with a warranty.

OR

Take it to dealer

OR
    Break urself down and get a Bentley: See 3 pages below - I wouldn't want to mess with it... Gud Luk

Last edited by A4SoftWalker; 07-14-2011 at 12:47 AM.
    'SOFTWALKER MODS
    Do u have the Bentley/Dealer Manual & Tools it takes to work on YOUR car properly? Or...
    wanna continue to wing it & keep expecting manna to fall from AZ?
    Apikol>Snub/Diff APR>ExhTIP-TB hoses,Stg3 AWE>DV
    JHM>ShortShift-the works
    Misc> 18x8x9 235/265;HSport S4 barsTT225;Bosch-F6DTC;CarbonioV2+V6Intake Inlet;HFC;Podi-P2;ATP mani;GPopK04;034mounts
    SPEC>Stg3+,LWFW
    STaSIS>328/305mm,40/60,SL
    Personal Motto>Walk Softly Carry a Big Stick. YEAH I'M BACK!!!

AZ Member #
    My Garage

A4SoftWalker - Thanks for the heads up. I will check with Shokan. I'm working on principle right now, in that that noise isn't getting any better or worse, but I am just determined to figure out what's causing it.

I haven't tried swapping the fuel pump. I still have yet to perform the pumpkin test with a stethoscope.

Active Member One Ring
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by senecak View Post
    A4SoftWalker - Thanks for the heads up. I will check with Shokan. I'm working on principle right now, in that that noise isn't getting any better or worse, but I am just determined to figure out what's causing it.

I haven't tried swapping the fuel pump. I still have yet to perform the pumpkin test with a stethoscope.
    Have you figured this out yet?

I noticed a humming noise from the rear today, sounds exactly how you describes it. Resonating humming sound from underneath the backseat. But I even have it when the car is at standstill. went outside with the car still running and located it to be from passenger side, right before the backwheel. The difference is that from the outside it sounded like a steppermotor going back and forth, desperately. Figured it was the fuelpump, but have no thoughts on why it does this. After the car had idled for about a minute the sound went away.

Tried to diagnose the car, but no codes related to this. Did you replace your pump?

Veteran Member Four Rings old guy's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    '09 CC VR6 Sport

Yours is definably the pump if you hear it at idle. Try replacing the fuel filter first. If it is partially clogged it can make the pump noisy.

Veteran Member Four Rings EBG 18T's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by old guy View Post
    Yours is definably the pump if you hear it at idle. Try replacing the fuel filter first. If it is partially clogged it can make the pump noisy.
    2nd this. Also if keep pushing it with a Clogged filter you will ruin the pump. Filter I cheap to replace.
    2014 VW Touareg - 4Motion - Midnight Blue

Active Member One Ring
    AZ Member #

Thanks guys, I will replace filter asap. Could a clogged fuel filter affect performance noticeably?

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Well, its been a while since I've touched this thread. I've been dealing with the humming noise. I finally decided to take additional measures. Brought the car to a friends shop, through it in the air and ran the car... and sure enough... differential made a racket and had lots of vibration. One of the bearings in there is definitely toast. A new differential is enroute to me as we speak. This will give me the opportunity to take apart the old one and hopefully snap some pics of "the bearings gone wrong". Stay tuned.

Senior Member Two Rings theboss's Avatar
    AZ Member #

i have a humming noise coming usually above 40 mph from center/rear of the car (can be heard just before shifting gears as well)... only with power applied in neutral coasting there is no noise. It tends to fade in / out definately isnt constant at variable times and intervals. Have 138 K miles on the car just changed clutch front wheel bearings, front/rear brakes, and axles. changed the rear diff fluid bec of seal around 18 months ago with no change in noise. Will stay on if in a turn while hearing the noise (no change in loudness or tone) but if you let off the throttle (in neutral) it goes away instantly. while in gear above 70 mph there is still a different noise kind of like a loud tire but goes away in nuetral same speed... any ideas???
    Last edited by theboss; 10-15-2013 at 10:02 PM.
    Franken Turbo / Motoza / Test Pipe / EV550 / TR18T / 034 Street Motor Mounts / Apikol Snub / APR Diverter / 2.0TFSI Coils / Gates TB / JHM Trio Shifter / Neuspeed Exhaust / KW V1's / HSport S4 Sways / 18x8.5 Miro 111's / Conti DWS 225/40/18 / 10mm Rear Spacers / B6 S4 Brakes / S4 Bixenon Ecode / S4 Upper Grill / Neuspeed SS Brake Lines / 5% tint / Boser CF Hood / AVH-X5500BHS / Audisen Bit Ten D / Speakers on Speakers / Podi Gauges