Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
    Active Member One Ring //Sporty's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    84 urq; 94 urs4; 01.5 s4; 10 a4 sline

the CQ

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    kind of quiet lately. the 1990 CQ. another great car.

Active Member One Ring //Sporty's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    84 urq; 94 urs4; 01.5 s4; 10 a4 sline

really need to get a good photo of the urq. can no longer link to picasa. whos the image hosting of choice?

Established Member Two Rings team illuminata's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    85 UR quattro, 97 Outback race car

YAY. Our pictures are back!

We had all our early pictures hosted on some servers that went away. Now we have them hosted more securely and have replaced all the broken links. As a bonus you can also see full size images for this and all our other builds here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/team_illuminata/albums
    Paul Eddleston
    Team Illuminata Motorsport
    www.teamilluminata.com

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Feels like we are very close. Also feels like winter is approaching. Better get cracking.

Started cleaning the fuel injection system. Decided not to dismantle it and just leave well alone.

image by Team Illuminata Motorsport, on Flickr

Air filter housing:

New injectors and seals

Battery!

Paul Eddleston
    www.teamilluminata.com

AZ Member #
    My Garage

On a roll now :)

Jumped the fuel pump relay to drain some old fuel.

New filter

Had to come up with a way to mount this thingy-me-jig as the mounting tabs were long gone.

Turbo inlet. Tight down there.

and fuel distributor

Our parts shelf is look quite bare now.
    Paul Eddleston
    www.teamilluminata.com

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Today's progress. Hopefully not this weekend's progress.

Connected the fuel lines to the warm up regulator.

New fuel filters:

There really isn't much left to do. At least to get it running:

CRANK BOLT
    THROTTLE BODY
    WIRING ISSUES
    SPARK PLUGS
    TRANS FLUID

Then once it works:
    COOLANT
    REAR BRAKE LINE
    BLEED BRAKES, CLUTCH
    PS STEERING FLUID
    WIPERS
    BUMPER
    HEADLIGHT
    INJECTOR BLOWER
    TIGHTEN CONTROL ARMS
    ADJUST SHIFT LINKAGE
    ALIGNMENT
    DETAIL

Then we put it away for the winter.
    Paul Eddleston
    www.teamilluminata.com

AZ Member #
    My Garage

So, assembly continues as we edge nearer to the momentous day when it drives itself off the hoist, hopefully down the road and not into winter storage.

Got the throttle body cleaned, adjusted and back on.

Then had to fix the inlet air temperature sensor.

Fortunately our 83 has one that looks like it was a replacement once. Ohms check check out too.

A bit of electrical shenanigans and it's in.

Then there was nothing left to do but call my Audi expert, Werner then fire it up!

https://www.youtube.com/attribution_...m-upload_owner

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/_4JomNrdCRo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Doesn't idle yet and still needs coolant but we had a little celebration anyway.

Paul Eddleston
    www.teamilluminata.com

AZ Member #
    My Garage

As this project is sort of wrapping up we started another one we thought you might like. Introducing the Audi UR Quattro Rally Build.

transformation by Team Illuminata Motorsport, on Flickr
    Paul Eddleston
    www.teamilluminata.com

AZ Member #
    My Garage

So, a lot of work but not a lot of updates. Here's why.

Bled the brakes.

Reinstalled the grill and the bumper.

and put it back on all fours for the first time in years.

Then got it to idle and run quiet.

https://youtu.be/4aqI0iT-wP8

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/4aqI0iT-wP8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Then drove it off the lift.

https://youtu.be/Qp0ASTHZ-V8

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/Qp0ASTHZ-V8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Then took it for a drive.

https://youtu.be/ypoHY6EsoyQ

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/ypoHY6EsoyQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Then stood back and admired it

https://youtu.be/FfhyveNAIPI

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/FfhyveNAIPI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Happy birthday to me!
    Paul Eddleston
    www.teamilluminata.com

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Sorry about the lack of updates. Got distracted by some work related events not the least of which was attending LSPR with our 911 and other assorted old rally cars.

14695439_1305247436187424_7489908328833138150_n by Team Illuminata Motorsport, on Flickr

Since I got back I haven't worked on the car but taken every opportunity I could to drive it. This included a funeral, a couple of cars and coffee events, an open house and running to Autozone for parts for our ailing Allroad.

I'd forgotten how much I enjoy driving this car and how much attention it gets. I'm going to try to enjoy it as much as possible before it goes away for the winter. It drives very well, is smooth and quiet but does have a slight hesitation under load though it pulls strong. I can figure that out and put the remaining few parts back on this winter. For now LET"S DRIVE!
    Paul Eddleston
    www.teamilluminata.com

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Been looking for opportunities to show of the car and have some fun with it before we run out of season.

The demise of our A3 left us with some 17" BRAID Fullrace A wheels and 225 tires lying around and with the help of the spacers that our ALLROAD doesn't need with it's winter wheels it soon became obvious what we must do. Throw them on the quattro!

This is only for fun mind you. They are a little contemporary and the 225/45-17 tires are about an inch to tall but it was well received in this state at our local meet Saturday.

You can feel the extra weight and diameter when driving and there is s slight rub somewhere on full lock but they are about the same diameter as the package we are planning to use on our 83 build so worth the trouble. 15" BRAIDs go back on soon.

The car is starting to srtuggle to start again now. Runs great once warmed up exept for a slight hesitation around 4000 rpm. Maybe the cold start valve? It is also pissing out hydraulic fluid still. We replaced everything around the bomb except the pressure switches so we suspect those. New ones are on the way.

We have also been tidying up the mess we gad left over from the project. This consists of mostly parts that need to go into boxes and parts that still need to go on the car.Tok care of inventorying and boxing parts and installed the plastic underbody stuff.

So just the cruise control actuator and injector blower to reinstall when we get chance. Holding off for now until we diagnose the starting issue though.
    Paul Eddleston
    www.teamilluminata.com

AZ Member #
    My Garage

It's been winter for too long already so no driving the 85. No working on it either as our 83 rally build and wheel sales have been keeping us busy. We have been picking away at the hydraulic system leaks however. We easily sourced some new pressure switches for the hydraulic bomb and quickly replaced the one on the side. However we did manage to disconnect a wire in the process.

The one underneath was a different prospect requiring us to access it from below. This, of course, took many, many weeks to get round to until recently when we finally drove it onto some ramps in the showroom.

where it sat for another couple of weeks till we had time to crawl under it. It soon became anther classic Audi "unscrew the simplest thing, if you can" project until we found just the right 24mm deep socket to get the switch off. At first we tried loosening the bomb from it's moorings but you cant undue these two nuts even though you can see them:

Finally found a thin wall socket that fit.

This still left the wiring issue to fix.

Think this is where it came from.

This puppy cost $35! Well, it was free, but we had to buy $35 worth of zip ties to liberate it from the box of 100 we were supposed to buy.

Soon had it on and back on the switch.

Of course we can't tell if it's solved the leaks till we drive it and it's still too salty outside. Never mind, now we can fix the leaky rear diff. However, this involves putting it on the lift and you now how long it took to get it off there last time! Wish us luck.
    Paul Eddleston
    www.teamilluminata.com

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Uh oh! Car is on the lift again! Hopefully not for two years this time.

The plan is to drop the diff and reseal it. Three main seals to replace and I think they are all leaking to some extent.

My first plan was to undo the axle and drive shaft bolts, undo the diff mounts and then, hopefully wrangle the diff out. All the axle and drive shaft bolts came out easily but, however, it looks like the axles don't have enough axial free play to release and the subframe bushings have seen better days so new plan is to remove the diff with the subframe. Still have to separate the axles and drive shaft first though. Probably going to remove the track rods and lower control arms at the subframe and leave the struts hanging.

Must remember to disconnect the diff actuator though.

So, how hard could it be?
    Paul Eddleston
    www.teamilluminata.com

AZ Member #
    My Garage

How hard could it be? Very

Well the axles and drive shaft needed some persuasion to let go of their respective couplings. A few wacks with a hammer did the job. I made some room by disconecting the lower control arms and the tie rods from the subframe.

Then moved on to the subframe bolts. Two came out easily. the rear right was seized in the sleeve but that tore out of the bushing so it did unscrew at least. The rear left just broke it's head off as soon as it saw the socket approaching.

We still managed to free the subframe from it with a bit of brute force but that left a siezed bolt taunting us in place.

So my friend Carlos welded a nut to it but as soon as we offered up the big socket to attempt to unscrew it we realised it was already hand tight! The power of heat. It's magical.

So next is inspection and tear down of the diff and subframe. Oh, and finding lots of parts.

Paul Eddleston
    www.teamilluminata.com

AZ Member #
    My Garage

We started to dismantle the diff and subframe. Dismantle might be too strong a word and we are just replacing bushings and seals, but it is an old Audi.

Drive shaft and both axle flanges are out.

This is the big seal on the left. No longer available but 034 Motorsport had some made. Phew!

Will need to replace this as it broke off the diff lock actuator shaft.

Will be replacing the diff lock actuator too of course. Already have a new one of those. The rear mount has seen better days. It will have to go. Have a couple of these in the parts bin though :)

and the left tie rod boot is split so this will have to be replaced too. Fortunately still available as a complete unit.

And, of course, new subframe bushings from Germany! So here we are, waiting for parts, again.
    Paul Eddleston
    www.teamilluminata.com

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Got the right axle seal in but not started on the right one yet, the BIG one. Had to order the drive shaft seal as I had the wrong one but I did try fixing the groove in the saft with a Speedi Sleeve.

These press on the shaft using the tool provided with the sleeve but it didn't go too well and we were very disappointed with the tool as it seemed too big.

Will try again perhaps with one from a different supplier. We received some yokes for the diff actuator from a generous member of the community.

and for fun tried our new BRAID wheels for the 83 rally build on for size.

16x9, et12 so they are way too wide for the stock fenders of this car but will work well on or wide body rally car.
    Paul Eddleston
    www.teamilluminata.com

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Itís been another slow project. Who would have thought replacing three diff seals would take this long? LOL

So we replaced the rear diff mount. The old one came out on the press but the new one only needed a g-clamp and some grease to persuade it home. Fortunately we took pictures so we were able to orient it correctly; or at least the same.

We searched hi and low for a new shaft repair sleeve that was the right size and not made by SKF. You may remember the last one was distorted by itís own installation tool. Finally settled on one from National but when we opened the box the instructions were from SKF! Anyway we were a lot more wary installing his one and managed to keep it staright by making our own installation tool out of a pipe clamp.

Then we pressed in all the seals, The left one is huge and does not have a shoulder to press it against. We measured the old oneís depth before taking it out and gradually tapped the new one home around itís circumference till it measured the same all round.

Then we turned our attention to the diff lock actuator. We used the same Mercedes part we had used for the center diff. We had to drill another hole in the mounting plate as the back hole is in a different place. Not a big deal. We managed to salvage the original yoke and had to tap the Merc actuator shaft to mate up to it. Then we slapped it all together. Thereís something magical about operating the diff lock on the bench. Maybe itís the lack of driving the car.

With the diff done itís time for the tricky bit: sub-frame bushings! We destroyed one last time remember?
    Paul Eddleston
    www.teamilluminata.com

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Well, the diff project is done, not without with some casualties. Read onÖÖÖ.

Our friend Carlos, a venerated old car genius, made a jig for the press to keep everything aligned while pressing in the notorious pair of small sub frame bushings. The large pair went in like youíd hope a bushing went in: easily.

Well that didnít work and we destroyed one $50, only available from Germany bushing. Apparently there is always a 50% failure rate when pressing these in which is why we had a spare!

So we gave up with the jig and just used a bolt down the middle and lots and lots of patience. This took several attempts with each bushing as we eye-balled them intensely looking for any sign of them starting to twist.

Once they are happy they go in nicely, like youíd expect but the slightest mis-alignment causes them to rotate and if you persist, distort. It was a bit stressful as ruining one more would set us back a month. Once in we soon had the diff mounted in the sub-frame again.

Before we could reinstall the assembly in the car we still had one more bit of housekeeping to perform. One rather rough inner CV joint. Fortnately you can still get these from an OE supplier and we were able to work on it still attached to the car, though it was a little dark under there. Once cleaned the old CV joint came off with some elbow grease and a puller.

We assembled the new joint on the bench and packed it full of grease.

Then drove it home with a drift. They are surprisingly tight on the axle splines.

Then we were finally ready to throw this thing back in the car and tighten everything back up

Except for the lower control arm bushings off course, which have to be tightened with the car on the ground. Unless you have some BRAID wheels lying around that is. Donít try this without proper wheels!

And of course, donít forget to put some nice diff lube in it.

By then it was 1am so we waited till the next day to take it for a test drive

Before returning it to the stable with its friends.

Now the car needs an alignment and a tune. Still have some hesitation under load.
    Paul Eddleston
    www.teamilluminata.com

AZ Member #
    My Garage

HELP ME CHOOSE SOME TIRES.

The Kumho all seasons (no seasons) that are on the car are done so it's time for some new rubber. The stock size of 215/50-15 is NLA in anything affordable and streetable so it's going to be 225/50-15 again. The car does not see winter so summer tires are a must. I don't track it but want the most grip I can afford in case I have to stop or swerve in a hurry. They should look cool or period or both. Treadwear is a non-issue as these will age out before they wear out.

I've narrowed it down to 4 but can't quite decide:

P ZERO TROFEO R $169

PROXES R888 $138

PROXES R888R $140

PROXES RA1 $189

Paul Eddleston
    www.teamilluminata.com

AZ Member #
    My Garage

The car is running but not perfectly (more later) so I have been taking every opportunity to drive it and pose around in it. Took it to the post office:

A cars and coffee or two:

Parked in in the driveway:

and at the showroom:

I even parked it outside the local Audi dealer:

This really is the key to happiness.

Paul Eddleston
    www.teamilluminata.com

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Took the car to AutoEurope in Birmingham for:

new tires
    alignment
    detailing
    dent removal

Now so clean. Hadn't been cleaned for three years!

They did a great job. Shame it's parked back in the showroom and not in my drive.

Next on the agenda is to address the hesitation under load at around 3-4000rpm. Any ideas?
    Paul Eddleston
    www.teamilluminata.com