Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Veteran Member Four Rings CBRmatt600's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2011 S4 / 2008 BMW X3

Slight engine vibration, anyone else?

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    I've noticed when I am stopped at a light I can sometimes feel a little vibration from the engine. Nothing major like a bad motor mount, but just a little shake every now and then that I can feel with my knee against the transmission tunnel. Is this just normal idle behavior for the car? I've put 1050 miles on the thing since I picked it up last Wednesday, and did a rather hard break-in. My oil is still completely full, and I have gained a noticeable amount of power over the past week. I was pretty annoyed with the little shakes and stumbles I used to have with my B7 2.0T, so I hope I don't experience the same with this car. It is not something that is consistent, but it seems that every so often when I am stopped and idling I can feel a little vibration now and then. Anyone else experience the same?
    Past: 2008 S-Line A4 6MT, Brilliant Red APR Stage II
    Present: 2011 S4 6MT,Phantom Black: GIAC Tune/APR Exhaust/Strat Intake/Stasis Touring Suspension/Alu Kreuz/E-Codes/Passport Hardwire

Senior Member Three Rings redrocker55's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2013 Ford Flex Ecoboost, 2013 MB SLK 250, 1998 Chevrolet Corvette Coupe 6 SP

Yes. I'm at 37,000 miles, changed my plugs last weekend and the slight vibration mostly went away. I would say it's normal. I'm sure the rumble will be back in a month or so.
    2010 S4 Brilliant Red DSG with Prestige Pkg, Black on Black Nappa, Drivers Assist and Drive Select.

VAG COM = VIM, Lap Timer/Oil Temp, Efficiency Program, Disabled winking DRL's, Hidden menu/battery gauge, 100% brightness on DRL while headlights are on, Ambient Lighting.

APR Tune-Stock, 91, 93 & 100 Oct, Alu Kreuz, 6,000K HID Fogs & headlights, under seat storage, LED int/ext lighting, supercharged badges, StopTech BBK, APR RSC & Carbonio Stage 2.

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2011 S4 / 2008 BMW X3

Interesting. Did you replace them with OEM plugs or did you use something different? (Iridium, etc.)
    Present: 2011 S4 6MT,Phantom Black: GIAC Tune/APR Exhaust/Strat Intake/Stasis Touring Suspension/Alu Kreuz/E-Codes/Passport Hardwire

Senior Member Three Rings redrocker55's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2013 Ford Flex Ecoboost, 2013 MB SLK 250, 1998 Chevrolet Corvette Coupe 6 SP

I used the OTC plugs from my dealership. They had to order them. The OEM plugs that came in my S4 were NKG's. The replacements at the dealer parts counter were Bosch. So I'm sure there has to be some slight differences. They are platinum plugs...same as original. They were pre gapped to about .28. The plugs that came out measured .30...might have widened a little with 36,000 miles of use.
    2010 S4 Brilliant Red DSG with Prestige Pkg, Black on Black Nappa, Drivers Assist and Drive Select.

VAG COM = VIM, Lap Timer/Oil Temp, Efficiency Program, Disabled winking DRL's, Hidden menu/battery gauge, 100% brightness on DRL while headlights are on, Ambient Lighting.

APR Tune-Stock, 91, 93 & 100 Oct, Alu Kreuz, 6,000K HID Fogs & headlights, under seat storage, LED int/ext lighting, supercharged badges, StopTech BBK, APR RSC & Carbonio Stage 2.

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2011 S4 / 2008 BMW X3

Quote Originally Posted by redrocker55 View Post
    I used the OTC plugs from my dealership. They had to order them. The OEM plugs that came in my S4 were NKG's. The replacements at the dealer parts counter were Bosch. So I'm sure there has to be some slight differences. They are platinum plugs...same as original. They were pre gapped to about .28. The plugs that came out measured .30...might have widened a little with 36,000 miles of use.
    Yeah I wouldn't be surprised. When I had my B7 tuned I put the NGK Iridiums in there and gapped them to .0028, and I would literally have to re-gap them almost every 6 weeks. They would widen to the point that the car would buck under full throttle. I'd definitely check the gap before installing new plugs as well, pretty much every pre-gapped plug I have bought was a fair bit outside of spec.

Veteran Member Four Rings Leor604's Avatar
    AZ Member #

If you want a smooth idle, get a BMW inline 6. Doubt the plugs have anything to do with it, but you could do a scan to check for misfires.
    | 2011 S4 | Premium (Canada) | Quartz | Black Nappa | 6MT | ADS | Nav | B&O | SPO goodies |

Veteran Member Four Rings t0mt0m's Avatar
    AZ Member #

i am getting engine vibration as well, i am at 25k
    i deff noticed when i have a bottle of water on the passenger seat and its starts to move a little...which i think maybe a little excessive. i had engine mounts of my b6 which helped resolve this issue. Are there any aftermarket companies that make new mounts?
    B6 A4 1.8t 5MT Quattro - Sold
    B8 S4 '10 6MT Prem+ - Sold

Senior Member Three Rings
    AZ Member #

A4's 2.0T is even worse than our S4 when it comes to NVH.
    2010 Audi S4 (Phantom Black, S-Tronic Transmission, Sport Rear Differential, Magma/Black Silk Nappa Seats, Navigation Plus Package)

Senior Member Four Rings
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2002 1.8T B6 A4 low miles - Wifey's car (Silver on black)

I think thesecars misfire sometimes but any bucking comes from terriblle drive by wire lol and my engine vibes a lil but whatever if it a real prob my warranty is there

Senior Member Three Rings SM_ATL's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2013 Porsche 991S, 2012 GTI, 2014 Infiniti QX60, 1995 E36 M3

I had it only once... but today, at 5,500 miles, and right after I mounted my boost tap. I started the engine a couple of times after that with no vibration at all.
    I have had 2 VW/Audi 2.0T engines before my current S4 and have been very used to vibrations when the car is idle. The every occasional vibrations you may have with the 3.0 are a million times less noticeable.
    Regarding oil consumption, I'll have my first oil change next week... and my oil is still at the max level.

Active Member One Ring
    AZ Member #

I hate to revive a old thread on my first post, but I also have some vibrations on my '11 S4 @ 30k miles. I'm simply biding my time to check it out with my 35k service but considering it shakes more than my wife's GTI makes me wonder if the plugs/coils need to be replaced. If I pop the hood, you can see the lines bouncing up and down as the engine cycles.