Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Veteran Member Three Rings ACowabunga's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Lightbulb Rear Fog Lights added

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    Thanks to DavidB8, both Zee007 and I now make two (2) 2010 S5 owners with working rear fog lights on our cars. As you know, it did not come this way from the factory and so I had to order the H/L Switch (Euro part 8K0 941 531 AL WEP) from Alex with Europrice and then rely on David to be available to program the rear fog lights. It was fairly quick and it came out quite nicely. I was also able to see what it would be like to use the inner LEDs as fog lights but I didn't quite like that look. The first photo is the rear fog activated, the second photo is with the turn signals/hazards, and the third photo is just the running lights. Take note that by using the Inner outside assembly light as a fog light, it does not illuminate at any other time. Thanks again to David, Alex, and Auditech91320 (who helped install the switch) for making this possible and activating what should have come on the car originally.

2010 Audi S5: Meteor Grey || Tuscan Brown

Registered Member Four Rings green a6's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    B6 Passat

not bad @ all. my a6 already comes with rear fog lights. but it is nice to see something different for a change
    Drive low, park lower

AZ Member #

It's quite frustrating knowing that most of the other Audi models have rear fog lights. I don't know why Audi took that away from this particular model. As you can see, all it took was a switch and some coding. It would not have added much to the car at all if it came from the factory like this. Grrr.

Since the NA A5 & S5's don't have the Euro H/L switches, here are a few pics of the H/L switch with the rear fog light activated. This project was especially nice to finish because of the "doubt that it would work" statement from the Audi parts department that I usually see. I'm not one to say, "I told you so" but.....

For anyone looking to add rear fog lights to your A5 or S5, it's quite simple.

1. Euro H/L switch (8K0 941 531 AL WEP) from Alex @ Europrice
    2. Remote coding help from DavidB8 on the Audizine forums.

Established Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Aren't the fog lights supposed to be the inner section of the portion of the taillights that are mounted in the trunk lid? You are showing the fog light as the inner portion of the light that already illuminates while braking or using turn signals/flashers in stock form.

Veteran Member Four Rings DavidB8's Avatar
    AZ Member #

These aren't Euro lights. You can't make a light appear where there isn't one. If you want to retro a bulb or buy the Euro lights then sure it can be on the inside. Personally I think it worked out pretty good.
    Reaching Me:Please don't ask me questions on the forum or send me private messages as it may be a while before I respond.
    If you need something email me directly at David@audienthusiasts.com I don't frequent this forum very often.
    www.audienthusiasts.com

Veteran Member Four Rings DeMOROlized's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2010 A5 2.0T

Quote Originally Posted by ACowabunga View Post
    It's quite frustrating knowing that most of the other Audi models have rear fog lights. I don't know why Audi took that away from this particular model. As you can see, all it took was a switch and some coding. It would not have added much to the car at all if it came from the factory like this. Grrr.

Since the NA A5 & S5's don't have the Euro H/L switches, here are a few pics of the H/L switch with the rear fog light activated. This project was especially nice to finish because of the "doubt that it would work" statement from the Audi parts department that I usually see. I'm not one to say, "I told you so" but.....

For anyone looking to add rear fog lights to your A5 or S5, it's quite simple.

1. Euro H/L switch (8K0 941 531 AL WEP) from Alex @ Europrice
    2. Remote coding help from DavidB8 on the Audizine forums.

What's the difference between the Euro switch and the one in the A4?
    1st Ring: 2002 Dolphin Grey B6 A4 1.8TqMS
    2nd Ring: 2006
    Moro Blue B7 A4 2.0TqMS
    3rd Ring: 2010 Phantom Black B8 A5 2.0TqM S Line
    4th Ring: TBD

Established Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by DavidB8 View Post
    These aren't Euro lights. You can't make a light appear where there isn't one. If you want to retro a bulb or buy the Euro lights then sure it can be on the inside. Personally I think it worked out pretty good.
    So losing illumination in all other functions such as braking, signaling, flashers, so that a rear fog light can exist on the rare occasions when needed is an improvement?
    I'd rather have seen an adaption made to the non used section of the housing so all stock functions were preserved and rear fog light capabilities added. The A4 S4 has the inner section illuminate with fogs on.

Veteran Member Four Rings DavidB8's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by DeMOROlized View Post
    What's the difference between the Euro switch and the one in the A4?
    Nothing its jsut refered to as Euro since it's the only place you'll find a switch like that in the A5 model line.
    Quote Originally Posted by Donaldp View Post
    So losing illumination in all other functions such as braking, signaling, flashers, so that a rear fog light can exist on the rare occasions when needed is an improvement?
    I'd rather have seen an adaption made to the non used section of the housing so all stock functions were preserved and rear fog light capabilities added. The A4 S4 has the inner section illuminate with fogs on.
    OMG..... Yes the inner section of the inner light for the A4. Do your home work. The A4/S4 and a number of other models don't have any inner lights AT ALL except for the fog. So according to you we are all at risk compared to your superior lighting... What ever. . I wonder how all those people in the rest of the world have survived with only the lower clear portion for a turn signal.. OMG call someone.. Guess I never have to worry about helping you with a fog light.
    Reaching Me:Please don't ask me questions on the forum or send me private messages as it may be a while before I respond.
    If you need something email me directly at David@audienthusiasts.com I don't frequent this forum very often.
    www.audienthusiasts.com

AZ Member #

Remember too, when you brake or use the turn signal, the LEDs get brighter (like 100%). I equate using this thin strip of lighting for the rear fog lights as keeping a gun at home, in a secured area, for self defense. Am I needing to use it all the time or carry it around the house aiming it at people, the simple answer is no. But it's there when I need it. What I've done is simply make my car more visible for those rare occasions when I encounter fog. I've improved the visibility of my car and thus have made it safer to operate my car both for me and my occupants. Like the old saying goes, "It is better to have it and not need it, then need it and not have it."

David: Man you're up late fielding these questions. Thanks again for your help with everything.

AZ Member #

Rear LED contrast

Here is a picture of the rear LEDs. The outer assembly is illuminated in regular "running lights" mode with the headlights on and the inner assembly shows the difference in brightness when the LEDs are activated for braking or turning. You can see the difference and am certain that with both LED assemblies illuminating to their "brighter" level (compare the 2nd and 3rd picture in my original post), no one behind me should have a doubt whether I'm braking or turning . I took this picture when David was coding the lights.

Last edited by ACowabunga; 04-28-2011 at 09:21 AM.

AZ Member #

Okay, last picture. Here's what the rear LEDs look like if I used the inner LED assembly for a rear fog light. Notice that the inner LED assembly is NOT illuminated at all while the car is running and the are H/L's on. The rear lights would look like the previous picture, with the inner LEDs illuminated brighter than the outer LEDs, when the rear fog lights were activated. I believe the picture of this setup is definitely less safe than where we ultimately finished because this makes the car darker and harder to see at night. Of course, this does make the car look similar to the Audi models of the late 90's and early 00's when there was only lighting in the rear outer area of the car.

Last edited by ACowabunga; 04-28-2011 at 09:30 AM.

Active Member One Ring
    AZ Member #

S5 Rear fog lights

I have an Audi S5 2010 and Iím considering shipping it to Europe if I ever move back there.
    The rear fog lights via the LEDs look very nice and it works in the US.
    In Germany the rear fog light is in the inner (trunk) light in the middle of the LEDs and there should be a distance of 10cm (about 4 in) between break light and rear fog light .
    See link with break and rear fog on:
    http://www.motor-talk.de/bilder/brem...203099583.html

So via VAG code the inner portion of the break lights should be disable and the inner rear fog lights enabled.
    Another issue: There is a socket holder for the rear fog lights, but no socket, no bulb and also no wire for the rear fog light.
    Does anybody know where to start with the wiring? I thought probably in the fuse box on the right side of the trunk??

DavidB8 seems to have the VAG codes (09-Cent. Elect..) to enable the rear fog light. Can you please post it? (I didnít find it in this or other threads, I got the VCDS 11.11.2 VAG coder). Which byte controls the rear lights including the rear fog light?

Any idea how to VAG code the rear lights according to the pictures?

Help would be much appreciated.

AZ Member #

Nice
    2015 Audi []RS5: Sepang Blue | Titanium Pkg |
    Mods: | Modulare Forged M14 | H&R | B&O | Sports Exhaust
    Past: 2012 Audi A5. Sline: Phantm Blk

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by juli_hum View Post
    I have an Audi S5 2010 and Iím considering shipping it to Europe if I ever move back there.
    The rear fog lights via the LEDs look very nice and it works in the US.
    In Germany the rear fog light is in the inner (trunk) light in the middle of the LEDs and there should be a distance of 10cm (about 4 in) between brake light and rear fog light .
    See link with break and rear fog on:
    http://www.motor-talk.de/bilder/brem...203099583.html

So via VAG code the inner portion of the brake lights should be disabled and the inner rear fog lights enabled.
    Another issue: There is a socket holder for the rear fog lights, but no socket, no bulb and also no wire for the rear fog light.
    Does anybody know where to start with the wiring? I thought probably in the fuse box on the right side of the trunk??

DavidB8 seems to have the VAG codes (09-Cent. Elect..) to enable the rear fog light. Can you please post it? (I didnít find it in this or other threads, I got the VCDS 11.11.2 VAG coder). Which byte controls the rear lights including the rear fog light?

Any idea how to VAG code the rear lights according to the pictures?

Help would be much appreciated.
    David and I performed a remote coding session so I do not have any coding or the security code to access the programming aspect of the rear lights. As long as you have the LED lights, all you would need is just the updated H/L switch and then contacting DavidB8 to help with the coding. There was no wiring needed and it all went fairly quickly. He knew exactly what codes to punch in and had it all up and running in no time. Let me know if I can help you out with anything else.

Veteran Member Four Rings cory_can's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    (Very) Red B8 Avant, '13 Q5 3.0T SLine, '15 28' Airstream

FYI, I have a light switch with rear fog light control for sale in the classifieds.
    Show, Goooo! and low*

* (when I feel like it)

Currently (K04).....12.87@105.6 on pump
    w/ "K03" on pump 13.59@99.25