Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Established Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

1997 A4 1.8T Quattro (MTM 286 hp)

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    Hi there,

I am new(ish) to the forum, but have not introduced myself. I live in Auckland, New Zealand, all the way down the bottom of the world.

I purchased a 1997 A4 1.8T Quattro, which had the stage 3 MTM kit installed (286 hp) by the dealership when they were new here in NZ. Car now done about 145ks.
    If you don't know what the stage 3 MTM kit included please see: http://www.europeancarweb.com/featur..._gt/index.html
    Basically, MTM bolted on the turbo/wastegate set up from the S2/RS2 on the side of an AEB engine, used better injectors, used their own ECU (a bosch M3.2c, 05/126.0, Leergehause with their stage 3 program and a custom carbon airbox with K&N filter. The car was also fitted with upgraded Konis with MTM eibach springs, a full stainless exhaust from the turbo back and 17x8 BBS RX wheels (well mine had these wheels, other had MTM 17x8 wheels).
    1997 A4 1.8T Quattro (MTM)
    Full stage 3 MTM kit installed from new. Sold new in its current form from dealership in New Zealand. About 30 were bought into the country. Most have disappeared!!

Senior Member Three Rings
    AZ Member #

Tasty.

Post some pics!

AZ Member #

Welcome to the 'Zine. Have any pics of your ride??
    APR Stg 1 93/Carbonio CAI/O34 Inlet Hose/RS4 RSB/18" BBS CHs/OSIR CF mirrors/DTH Side Skirts/AWE Vent Boost Gauge/Passport 9500ix/

AZ Member #

OK, This is my first time loading photos...... Hopefully this works.

Full stage 3 MTM kit installed from new. Sold new in its current form from dealership in New Zealand. About 30 were bought into the country. Most have disappeared!!

Veteran Member Three Rings murdered APR a4's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2002 Audi S8, 2003 Audi RS6, 2009 Audi Q5, 2002 Audi S4

didnt work lol upload to photobucket then paste the image code....i want pics as well!

Veteran Member Four Rings ZimbutheMonkey's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Very interesting, I've seen one MTM K24 style manifold for the 1.8T for sale in the classifieds. However I've never seen the full setup on a 1.8T. Any thoughts of going to a K27 at some point?

AZ Member #

No plans for the upgrade at the mo. The engine internal are still factory and I am pretty sure they wont handle the additional hp.......
    The K24 current provides me with about 20psi of boost..... Pretty sufficient for a road car.
    Dynoed about 3 weeks ago (with issues (over and under fueling) with the engine map and turbo not running prefect) putting out 165 kw at all four wheels.

I have my hands on a factory RS6 intercooler and will look at installing this when i get the issues resolved.

In the future, was planning on making this a race car, so might upgrade to a K26 which is ample in terms of drive-ability. I have also found hybrid K24 and k26 turbo on ebay.co.uk which sound like they would really kick some ass

AZ Member #

OK...... Take 2 on the photos.

Veteran Member Four Rings NeedingAnAudi's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    99.5 A4 4.2QM, 01 Nogaro S4 Avant

Quote Originally Posted by nzant008 View Post
    OK, This is my first time loading photos...... Hopefully this works.

Hopefully that fixes it
    Brilliant Black 99.5 A4 Project V8
    Nogaro Blue 01.5 S4
    Audi Tech

Alex

AZ Member #

Thanks NeedingAnAudi

Veteran Member Four Rings
    AZ Member #

I see the pics.

Is that an Audi external wastegate beside the airbox? If it is, you should reconnect the boost/vacuum hose, to control boost.

Nice. Never seen an OEM external wastegate.

AZ Member #

Yes that is an Audi wastegate. Stolen from the UR S2/S4/RS2 parts box, along with the turbo and n75 valve.

That plug/outlet you are looking on top of the wastegate is apparently there only for diagnostic purposes. Does not need to be connected, and normally is not even on the RS2. The boost/vacuum hose from the n75 valve is located on the left hand side and below the wastegate.

AZ Member #

Oh ok. I was thinking it was the same with an aftermarket wastegate.

AZ Member #

Thats exactly what i thought, so i asked a friend with a S2 race car and they told me that it didnt need to be plugged in. They have a sensor attached to it, but they are running a standalone engine computer.

I know that I will sound geekie, but i love the sound of the wastegate!!!......

Forum Moderator Four Rings biketsai's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    01' A4 1.8TQM;15' Wrangler

Yess, a MTM A4! I havent seen one of those in a while, and welcome!
    BetaAlphaTau Member #12
    01' A4 1.8TQMS 5spd swapped
    GT2871R|CTAPP MAFless|034 EM|Godspeed FMIC|APR 2.5"|EVO MS DV|CM FX400-LWFW
    18" RS4 Reps.|S4 Front/Skirts/Seats/Brakes|RS4 Grill|CF Trim
    Stasis SS|LLTEK Tower|KW F/R Sways|Profec Spec 2
    My 5-Speed Swap DIY
    - B6 USP
    Chris:Mod|PM me with any questions

AZ Member #

Put in a $400 set of IE rods and strap one of these bad boys on http://www.034motorsport.com/turboch...-c-21_101.html

Neat setup though, it's always nice to see something out of the ordinary that's done right like yours. Welcome aboard.

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by ZimbutheMonkey View Post
    Put in a $400 set of IE rods and strap one of these bad boys on http://www.034motorsport.com/turboch...-c-21_101.html

Neat setup though, it's always nice to see something out of the ordinary that's done right like yours. Welcome aboard.
    Dont quite have the funds for that kind of stuff. Maybe later, say another 1-2 years......... I was looking at find a good secondhand K26 turbo from an old school Porsche and getting it rebuilt etc..... There is actually one on TM (the equivalent of ebay in NZ), but i don't have spare $$ and also don't have the room.

Veteran Member Three Rings
    AZ Member #

I see green coolant. I think you're running the wrong coolant.

Btw, I know of a dude in NZ, can't remember whether it's north or south island, who fully converted an MTM A4 ECU to a Haltech E8 standalone ECU. Could this be the car or there's a few in NZ?
    99.5 A4 1.8TQ MT

1.9L built/blueprinted motor, JE assymmetrical pistons, IE Tuscan Rods-JNL racing custom ported head, IE CVA2 camshafts-BW EFR7064 .92 IWG-Full-race T4 manifold-1150cc injectors +++++++++

Instagram : e85.A4

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2001 Honda CBR600F4i

Quote Originally Posted by spindoctor View Post
    I was just thinking the same thing, as I was also noticing that the brake reservoir and the battery are on opposite sides. That though I'm sure isn't wrong, just an interesting observation by me.

But back to the coolant. I think I read on vortex that as long as you flush the whole system before adding universal coolant that everything should be alright.
    The Car
    1998.5 A4 1.8TQMS: stainless steel brake lines, S5 style projectors w/5k HIDs, 2.5in catback, 710n, K04, FMIC, chip, EFK; SOON TO HAVE LIST: tp, snub

The Bike
    2001 Honda F4i: currently in a lot of pieces as I put it back together this winter

AZ Member #

Ohh.... Should i be running the pink stuff from Audi?

I have been busy with getting the car mechanical stuff done, that i haven't really bothered with the cooling system. I flushed it and re filled but not worried about it.

The one with a Haltech is a different car. I am aware of 3-4 other cars around, but not many anymore. To my knowledge 30 came into the country. I meet him on the NZ VASK forum, good guy.

AZ Member #

As long as it's not the old school green coolant you're probably just fine. I've mixed G12 with Dexcool and the Prestone all makes all models gold stuff and I've never had an issue.

Veteran Member Three Rings SeekB00st's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    A tricycle

Ok, lets talk about that ABS module.

I haven't seen one like that..

Please elaborate
    Put Werk Here
    [/SIZE]

AZ Member #

He's from New Zealand, they're upside down so gas is brake and brake is gas. Why do you think that his steering wheel is on the wrong side

Active Member Two Rings 1.eighTEE's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    muh OW Owdi and a bike or honda ruckus soon!!

Quote Originally Posted by auh View Post
    I was just thinking the same thing, as I was also noticing that the brake reservoir and the battery are on opposite sides. That though I'm sure isn't wrong, just an interesting observation by me.

But back to the coolant. I think I read on vortex that as long as you flush the whole system before adding universal coolant that everything should be alright.
    its right hand drive so battery ecm, brake reservoir and pollen filter are all swapped around backwards for us over here in the U.S. with our left hand drives.

Btw, I know of a dude in NZ, can't remember whether it's north or south island, who fully converted an MTM A4 ECU to a Haltech E8 standalone ECU. Could this be the car or there's a few in NZ?
    and preferably you want to be using G12.
    to completely flush a system of all the coolant isnt a simple take the lower radiator hose off. it taking the wter pump out taking the thermotate and housing out and then pressuring it all out. so i wouldnt even know what to suggest since that coolant is so green.. i mean personaly i would buy new reservoir and completely flush the system and get that good good G12 in there.
    one day in the future.. eventually my car will have 800awhp

i hope

AZ Member #

The audi mechanic (from the stealership) that i can just remove 1.5 liters from my system and then add the G12? Supposedly it is compatible with the green stuff?? He tells me that i only need i bottle of the G12 cause the ambient temp does not go much below zero here.

Veteran Member Three Rings
    AZ Member #

He's from New Zealand, they're upside down so gas is brake and brake is gas. Why do you think that his steering wheel is on the wrong side
    You mean "right" side, :p
    99.5 A4 1.8TQ MT

1.9L built/blueprinted motor, JE assymmetrical pistons, IE Tuscan Rods-JNL racing custom ported head, IE CVA2 camshafts-BW EFR7064 .92 IWG-Full-race T4 manifold-1150cc injectors +++++++++

Instagram : e85.A4

Veteran Member Four Rings J Ozzie's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Verrrry Nice!

Yeah better switch out that green crap.. Id even do a big flush on it if i were you. There should be a drain plug on the water pump and the lower rad. Get rid of all that green. Flush the system with water and put in some Pink or Purple G12 in. I go with a jug of g12 to a jug of distilled water.
    2014 Audi Q5 TDI - Brilliant Black | LED Fogs | VCDS Mods | LED Interior swap |
    R.I.P... (wrecked)2005 Audi A4 1.8TQM 6Speed
    R.I.P..2001 Audi a4 1.8TQM (casa white no sunroof)

Vancouver Audi Club.ca

where's our resident intoxicated lobster Canadian - Thomas

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by J Ozzie View Post
    Verrrry Nice!

Yeah better switch out that green crap.. Id even do a big flush on it if i were you. There should be a drain plug on the water pump and the lower rad. Get rid of all that green. Flush the system with water and put in some Pink or Purple G12 in. I go with a jug of g12 to a jug of distilled water.
    Thanks for all the nice comments and advice on my car.......
    I cant take any credit for it. It bought it this way. Really needs to go to MTM........ I do like their though work!!
    Pity it took me 14 years till i am able to afford it!! haha

Senior Member Two Rings malanca's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    A4 B5 1.8T (AEB) Quattro Avant

Interesting....what kind of exhaust manifold did MTM use?
    K03-0073 | APR 2.5" exhaust | Clutchmasters FX400 240mm | Milltek 200cpi | APR intake-hose | Autobahn88 FMIC | 240 chp | Eibach Pro-Street-S coilover | TAROX brakes

AZ Member #

They had their own cast iron one with an port for the wastegate.

Senior Member Two Rings malanca's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    A4 B5 1.8T (AEB) Quattro Avant

OK! sweet airbox btw.
    K03-0073 | APR 2.5" exhaust | Clutchmasters FX400 240mm | Milltek 200cpi | APR intake-hose | Autobahn88 FMIC | 240 chp | Eibach Pro-Street-S coilover | TAROX brakes

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by nzant008 View Post
    Yes that is an Audi wastegate. Stolen from the UR S2/S4/RS2 parts box, along with the turbo and n75 valve.

That plug/outlet you are looking on top of the wastegate is apparently there only for diagnostic purposes. Does not need to be connected, and normally is not even on the RS2. The boost/vacuum hose from the n75 valve is located on the left hand side and below the wastegate.
    Yep, you are right. Same with with my Avant....

The nipple to control the wastegate is towards the bottom. so you cant see it in the pics.

--dillon
    1998.5 A4 2.0TQM ADR/058, Custom ME5 tune by 034, ABA 92.8 stroke forged crank, Scat rods, JE Pistons (83mm/8.5:1), Schrick cams, Supertech springs and retainers, inconel exhaust valves (+1mm), Spa T3 mani with a Precision 5557E-B, 034 3inch exhaust, etc, etc, etc. 034 featured user

2012 S4 Prestige, Titanium, Monsoon gray metallic, DSG. 034 ECU and TCU tunes and other bits.

Senior Member Three Rings silverman's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    '98 A4 1.8tqm. Bilstein pss9.

I wanna know about that strut brace/cap combo!!! ^^^^^^
    Cactus green B5 A4!

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by silverman View Post
    I wanna know about that strut brace/cap combo!!! ^^^^^^
    Its an UrS6 Avant, not a B5. The strut brace is stock and the camber plates are made by 2Bennett.
    1998.5 A4 2.0TQM ADR/058, Custom ME5 tune by 034, ABA 92.8 stroke forged crank, Scat rods, JE Pistons (83mm/8.5:1), Schrick cams, Supertech springs and retainers, inconel exhaust valves (+1mm), Spa T3 mani with a Precision 5557E-B, 034 3inch exhaust, etc, etc, etc. 034 featured user

2012 S4 Prestige, Titanium, Monsoon gray metallic, DSG. 034 ECU and TCU tunes and other bits.

AZ Member #

Bit of an off topic question, but it just dawned on me. Why don't people run the external wastegate from the K26 equipped 5000 series? They're fairly easy to find at the auto wreckers and it wouldn't cost a whole lot. I'm starting to think I should have pulled the wastegate off the 5000 I pulled the turbo out of last year.

AZ Member #

Bit of an off topic question, but it just dawned on me. Why don't people run the external wastegate from the K26 equipped 5000 series? They're fairly easy to find at the auto wreckers and it wouldn't cost a whole lot. I'm starting to think I should have pulled the wastegate off the 5000 I pulled the turbo out of last year.
    You should, they are good wastegates. I have seen them clock up more that 300ks and not need rebuilds. My friend has a S2 race car (pulling about 450-550 hp) and they still use the same wastegate from when the car was new!

As far as i am aware they are ultra reliable and CHEAP (if you can still find them)!! They don't necessarily have to run in combinations with a KKK turbo. I have seen guys use it with a 4AGE turbo conversion.

AZ Member #

Lucky for me I snagged a Turbonetics Deltagate II for $65 shipped or I'd be kicking myself for not pulling that wastegate when I had the chance. But it's good to know that it's an option.

AZ Member #

Yeah....
    I saw one in ebay.co.uk for about 15pounds, but i didn't have the need or spare cash!

Veteran Member Three Rings spyder101's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Audi did'nt run pink coolant until 1998. All engines before then ran the green stuff. AFC, AAH, AAN, etc...

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by spyder101 View Post
    Audi did'nt run pink coolant until 1998. All engines before then ran the green stuff. AFC, AAH, AAN, etc...
    Interesting argument!!
    I didnt know that... I thought that they alway ran special euro stuff!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast