Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Registered Member Four Rings Goped220's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Huper Optik vs Solar Gard vs Sun Tek

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    Which tint flim of of these 3 is the best? Also what is better ceramic tints or carbon tints?
    Contact me for Wholesale Pricing on: BBS, HRE & OZ or Any Wheels/Tires (Includes Hoosier Slicks), Brakes/Rotors: Brembo BBK, Hawk, DBA. AMS Synthetic Oil or Griot's Garage Products.

Veteran Member Four Rings
    AZ Member #

I've got SunTek on my S4. Have had Suntek, Llumar and 3M on previous cars with no issues either. Cuts down tremendously on the hot Texas sun when the car is parked outside and that's all that matters to me. All the films were metallic, never used ceramic films.
    Zerin Dube

Join the Texas Area Audi Owners group on Facebook

2010 Brilliant Red Audi S4 [6MT/Sport Diff/B&O/Nav/19s/APR 93 Tuned/Stratmosphere Hyperflow/Milltek Non-Res Exhaust & DP

2008 Imola Yellow Audi TT 3.2Q 6MT S-Line - GONE

Veteran Member Four Rings CBRmatt600's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2011 S4 / 2008 BMW X3

Tints? Is there more than one? :D
    Past: 2008 S-Line A4 6MT, Brilliant Red APR Stage II
    Present: 2011 S4 6MT,Phantom Black: GIAC Tune/APR Exhaust/Strat Intake/Stasis Touring Suspension/Alu Kreuz/E-Codes/Passport Hardwire

AZ Member #

Unrelated... people who call them tints abolutely make me want to stab them with a fork. I have no idea where TINTS came from but it drives me mad.
    Zerin Dube

2010 Brilliant Red Audi S4 [6MT/Sport Diff/B&O/Nav/19s/APR 93 Tuned/Stratmosphere Hyperflow/Milltek Non-Res Exhaust & DP

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2011 S4 / 2008 BMW X3

I have no idea where it came from either, I had never seen or heard someone refer to it as "tints" until I joined this forum.
    Present: 2011 S4 6MT,Phantom Black: GIAC Tune/APR Exhaust/Strat Intake/Stasis Touring Suspension/Alu Kreuz/E-Codes/Passport Hardwire

Senior Member Three Rings SM_ATL's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2013 Porsche 991S, 2012 GTI, 2014 Infiniti QX60, 1995 E36 M3

I may explain since I made the mistake myself until someone corrected me... There are a bunch of guys from various countries outside of the US active on this forum and English is not their first language (I live in the US, moved from Belgium a few years ago and my mother language is French for instance...). In French you would say 'vitres tintées' (plural) for tint. The same principle would apply to other languages. Considering this "wanting to stab them with a fork" maybe a tad offending
    Diversity and having one great nation built by people coming from many others is what made the US what it is. It comes with a few drawbacks in spelling, grammar and accents!

AZ Member #

You are excused, it's the New Jersey natives that are the offenders in question :)
    Zerin Dube

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2011 S4 / 2008 BMW X3

Quote Originally Posted by SM_ATL View Post
    I may explain since I made the mistake myself until someone corrected me... There are a bunch of guys from various countries outside of the US active on this forum and English is not their first language (I live in the US, moved from Belgium a few years ago and my mother language is French for instance...). In French you would say 'vitres tintées' (plural) for tint. The same principle would apply to other languages. Considering this "wanting to stab them with a fork" maybe a tad offending
    Diversity and having one great nation built by people coming from many others is what made the US what it is. It comes with a few drawbacks in spelling, grammar and accents!
    Haha, yeah I don't think Zerin is referring to the non-native English speakers. This is in reference to the younger kids and as he said "New Jersey natives" that use the word "tints" for some reason.

Senior Member Three Rings SM_ATL's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2013 Porsche 991S, 2012 GTI, 2014 Infiniti QX60, 1995 E36 M3

Quote Originally Posted by CBRmatt600 View Post
    Haha, yeah I don't think Zerin is referring to the non-native English speakers. This is in reference to the younger kids and as he said "New Jersey natives" that use the word "tints" for some reason.
    Sure, no offense taken!! I still have a lot to learn and can be a bit pompous in my posts sometimes -more for fun than any other reason-

Active Member One Ring
    AZ Member #

i had solar gard on my last car and i couldnt tell the difference in quality and durability over huper optik.
    Ceramic is definately the way to go for many reasons, solar heat blocking, antenna interference, scratch resistance, discolor resistance.
    Im sure youd be more than satisfied with any of the three.

Registered Member Four Rings Goped220's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by HiStandards View Post
    i had solar gard on my last car and i couldnt tell the difference in quality and durability over huper optik.
    Ceramic is definately the way to go for many reasons, solar heat blocking, antenna interference, scratch resistance, discolor resistance.
    Im sure youd be more than satisfied with any of the three.
    Thanks for the good input unlike others who get off topic.
    Contact me for Wholesale Pricing on: BBS, HRE & OZ or Any Wheels/Tires (Includes Hoosier Slicks), Brakes/Rotors: Brembo BBK, Hawk, DBA. AMS Synthetic Oil or Griot's Garage Products.

Established Member Two Rings HDClown's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2011 Audi S4

Local tint guy I talked to yesterday told me Sun Tek and 3M are the same stuff, made by some other company that both by from. I'm going to likely end up with Llumar ATR on front/rear windows and Llumar Air Blue 80 on front windshield. May spring for Llumar CTX (ceramic), undecided.
    2011 S4 - Quartz Gray on Black Alcantara - S-Tronic, Sport Differential, MMI Nav Plus, B&O, Carbon Atlas Trim, 19" Five-Tri-Spoke Wheels

Stage 2 Banner Advertiser Four Rings winston@podi.ca's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    Pods, gauges and more pods

Huper Optik

I had it on my Avant, removed it due to getting a VI and regret not putting it back on instead of this 3m Air80 film.

The Huper works so much better rejecting heat.

Active Member One Ring
    AZ Member #

No problem. I hate clicking on a topic when im looking for information only to find 40 replies not related to the topic at all.

I called a local tint shop yesterday to get a quote for myself and he said he had two different huper optik films. The multilayered Ceramic ($400) or the Xtreme ($300). Both are non-metallic, both reject 99% of UV, but the ceramic has a heat rejection rate of 60% vs the X-treme at 34%. I think the extreme is Dye based so im pretty sure it will fade over time. Im going with the ceramic.

My last car was an E46 M3, i lived in Hawaii and the heat rejection made such a difference. those days where the sun is coming through your side window baking you alive are long gone. For fun i used to open the sunroof shade just to feel the difference of non-ceramic vs ceramic tint.

Stage 2 Banner Advertiser Four Rings winston@podi.ca's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    Pods, gauges and more pods

I know this is a practice that is not done everywhere, but putting a much lighter % of the ceramic film on the windshield will help drastically reduce the heat entering the car.

I had tint on all my windows, windshield and sunroof and the car was noticeably cooler after letting it sit exposed to the sun.

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2002 1.8T B6 A4 low miles - Wifey's car (Silver on black)

I have Suntek Carbon 35% all the way around and Suntek carbon 50% on the windshield. I love it.

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2011 Audi S4

winston@podi: Air Blue 80 is from Llumar, not 3M. 3M has Crystaline, so which do you actually have? Both of these tints are lower heat rejection because they are designed to be "clear" titns for people who don't want windowst that look like they are rinted.

3M Crystaline rejects 38% solar heat with 68% Visible Light Transmission (VLT) and Llumar Air Blue 80 rejects 43% solar heat with 70% VLT. The Llumar Air Blue 80 is a superior film to 3M Crystaline.

Huper Optik's equivalent film to the above two would be their X-Treme Performance Acht, which rejects 46% heat with 77% VLT. So yes, HO does have the best performing "clear" tint, but it's a minimal increase over Llumar Air Blue 80, but a substantial increase over 3M Crystaline.

For reference, your typical solar heat rejection from a charcoal tint at 15% VLT is usually in the 50-55% range. Brands like Llumar, 3M, Sun Tek. Huper Optik can reach the same heat rejection at a higher VLT (30-35%). So yes, once again HO does have better performing tint while maintaining higher VLT. But if you are willing to reduce VLT, you can get almost the same level of heat rejection.

HiStandards: The basic X-Treme stuff is dyed. Don't get that stuff. If you go HO, you go X-Treme multi-layered ceramic. Call some local shopts that deal in Llumar, F1, or 3M/Sun Tek. You should find that they will do the car in ceramic (such as Llumar CTX) for $210-250 plus $100 for the front windshield (if you choose to do it).
    Last edited by HDClown; 04-21-2011 at 09:02 AM.

Veteran Member Three Rings sf_loft's Avatar
    AZ Member #

SunTek CXP 70 (Carbon based) all around. No problems at all and it performs great.
    2014 BMW F10 M5 Competition Package
    Retired: 2010 B8 S4 - flickr - Ibis | Black Silk Nappa / Carbon inlays | Prestige | S-Tronic | ADS | Driver Assist | Sunshade

Established Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2013 Audi A3 TDI, 2010 Audi S4 Prestige

Quote Originally Posted by HDClown View Post

Huper Optik's equivalent film to the above two would be their X-Treme Performance Acht, which rejects 46% heat with 77% VLT. So yes, HO does have the best performing "clear" tint, but it's a minimal increase over Llumar Air Blue 80, but a substantial increase over 3M Crystaline.
    @HDClown: Is this film a multilayered metallic or nano-ceramic. I live in the brightest part of the country here but I like the sun and would like to get some clearer films but with good heat rejection. What prices am I looking to pay for this particular film. The tint guy that I spoke with here locally is asking for $350 for a "typical sedan" for the "ceramic", don't know which one though.

Thanks

AZ Member #

3M Crystalline is AMAZING from what I've seen. A little out of my price range. I've got Huper Optik and love it! Looks much darker than it is.
    Off topic I'm with you guys on the "tints" thing. "I have tint on my car or my car is tinted" "I'm doing tint this week" "I am planning on getting my car tinted" are all acceptable. "Got my tints done" "My car has tints now" etc are all wtf where did you learn how to talk?
    Ol' Whitey - 1996 A4 2.8 quattro 5MT Arctic White w/ Remus
    #2 - 2008 A4 2.0T Quattro 6MT Quartz Gray -Prem, Heated seats, Convenience, Bluetooth, Ipod, Bose w/ AWE exhaust (1/08 - 1/11)
    #3- 2011 A4 6MT Quartz Gray - Prem Plus, B&O, Titanium - Full Gen1 AWE dual exhaust, Eurocode Everything, 3M Clearbra, Piano Black Dash Surround, MY10 rear headrests, Huper Optik, S-line Stoneguards
    #4 2014 Audi S4 6MT - Monsoon + Black optics
    Porsche Sales

B8 Titanium Club Member #4

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Seriously guys! Way to go off topic. What have we here? Some high school grammar teachers driving S4's? Let it slide.

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2011 S4 / 2008 BMW X3

Quote Originally Posted by kausbose View Post
    Seriously guys! Way to go off topic. What have we here? Some high school grammar teachers driving S4's? Let it slide.
    It's been two days since anyone has said anything, why bring it up again?

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Quote Originally Posted by CBRmatt600 View Post
    It's been two days since anyone has said anything, why bring it up again?
    I am referring to the post right above me that was posted this morning.

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2011 S4 / 2008 BMW X3

I am referring to the post right above me that was posted this morning.
    My bad, didn't see that

AZ Member #

lol
    Zerin Dube

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2011 Audi S4

@HDClown: Is this film a multilayered metallic or nano-ceramic. I live in the brightest part of the country here but I like the sun and would like to get some clearer films but with good heat rejection. What prices am I looking to pay for this particular film. The tint guy that I spoke with here locally is asking for $350 for a "typical sedan" for the "ceramic", don't know which one though.

Thanks
    You quoted me on a lot of films. Huper Optik automtoive films are either dyed or multi-layer ceramic, they do not do metallic in automotive films. Llumar Air Blue 80 is ceramic, 3M Crystaline is non-metallic, but I do not know if it's ceramic.
    2011 S4 - Quartz Gray on Black Alcantara - S-Tronic, Sport Differential, MMI Nav Plus, B&O, Carbon Atlas Trim, 19" Five-Tri-Spoke Wheels

Veteran Member Four Rings Voltrons_Head's Avatar
    AZ Member #

I gots my tintz last week.

0%

But seriously, I had no idea there were so many different film options. I'm trying to find a guy in the South Jersey/Philly area to get mine done.