Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Veteran Member Four Rings GetBoosted84's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    01 Audi A4 1.8T Quattro / 88 Mazda RX-7 GXL

Changing a Rear Wheel Bearing Without a Press... Possible?

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    Just wondering if anyone has any tips or tricks for pulling this off. I need to swap out my rear wheel bearing and I don't have an arbor press so I would like to avoid having to bring the whole assembly over to a local shop.

Thanks!
    2010 Subaru Legacy 2.5i Premium
    2001 Audi A4 1.8T Quattro
    1988 Mazda RX-7 GXL

DIY: Audi A4 4:1 Center Diff Mod
    DIY: STE PPD Install

Forum Moderator Four Rings blacka4's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    Dodge RAM 1500 2008 HD FXDSE2
    Items for Sale

Quote Originally Posted by GetBoosted84 View Post
    Just wondering if anyone has any tips or tricks for pulling this off. I need to swap out my rear wheel bearing and I don't have an arbor press so I would like to avoid having to bring the whole assembly over to a local shop.

Thanks!
    Nope, not possible. Well you could do it by hitting it with a hammer to get the old one out but I would have a shop press in the new one.

Now, I have not done a wheel bearing in a few years so something could have changed, but I know the dealer still presses them out and back in because a friend just had hers replaced at the local dealer for 300 dollars
    -Rob - Moderator - PM Me!

RIP:1999.5 Audi A4 1.8TQ Tip Brillant Black
    2009 Dodge RAM 1500 Crew Cab Sport - AZ Plate Frame - Bone Stock otherwise
    HD SE Dyna

AZ Member #
    My Garage

I figured that was going to be the consensus.
    1988 Mazda RX-7 GXL

Veteran Member Four Rings rocky.ca's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Ive done it. Without a press lol. Really ghetto though. Bottle jack and a steel table
    Brilliant Shwartz 2004 S4: Stock

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Quote Originally Posted by rocky.ca View Post
    Bottle jack and a steel table
    lol, care to elaborate? That sounds intriguing.
    1988 Mazda RX-7 GXL

Senior Member Three Rings
    AZ Member #

I've haven't had to change the rear wheel bearings on my Audi yet but I have done them on my Corrado and Syncro and haven't needed a press yet. The bearings aren't hard to get out and back in, this is what I did for my Corrado with some spare metal and a long bolt from a spring compressor... http://www.corrado-club.ca/forum/viewtopic.php?t=9170 A little imagination a few hand tools should do the trick.
    - 2000 Audi A4 QTM
    - 1994 Corrado VR6
    - 1991 Jetta G60 Coupe Syncro

Veteran Member Four Rings walky_talky20's Avatar
    AZ Member #

When one of my rear wheel bearings went bad, I tried to pull the entire upright, but the lower bushing was causing a problem and not coming apart. Would have had to destroy the bushing to get it apart and that was not an option. We ended up changing the bearing right on the car. No "hub shark" or anything either. My Father did the bearing removal and installation part, and it was a couple years ago so I don't remember the details. Tomorrow I can ask him how exactly he did it.

It isn't really the recommended way to do it, but it is possible in a pinch.
    ^Don't listen to this guy, he's not even a mechanic.
    2001 Laser Red A4 1.8TQM, 5-Speed Swapped, APR 93, Splitter, electronic oil pressure gauge, B6 Sport 17's, ST Coilovers,
    Need to borrow a Cam Chain Tensioner Tool? $4 for shipping. PM me. *Available*

Veteran Member Four Rings mholme's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    08 S4 00 S4
    Items for Sale

Just take it out and bring it to a shop. Pressing a wheel bearing in is not hard to do for them and will cost you no more than an hour of labor. I just took my carrier in loose last week to the BMW shop down the street and they did it for 45 dollars. Just make sure they know it's a stepped bearing and only goes in one way.
    08 S4- Stock

00 S4-APR 93 Piggies Custom True Dual exhaust AWE DTS ECS/Bilstein Coilovers 710N's Samco TBB Omori 52mm boost gauge SOLD

Veteran Member Four Rings
    AZ Member #

let me know when you want to do it. I can run it to my friends house and use his press.
    2001 A4 Avant 2.0t comp CT4 5858 Maestro Tune
    2012 Volkswagen CC TSI 6 speed.

AZ Member #

I did my rears on Friday, it took 18,000lbs after being under the torch for 5 minutes. They were siezed

AZ Member #

I tried mine using a pretty huge Record 25 Vice and they wouldnt budge, even with a bit of scaffolding tube over the vice handle. Took them to a local engineering shop who pressed both of them in for 30

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Thanks for the help guys. I really appreciate all the responses!

Poopie, I'm going to pull it this weekend so I'll give you a call to see what you're up to.
    1988 Mazda RX-7 GXL

Veteran Member Four Rings Seerlah's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    Items for Sale

http://www.ecstuning.com/Audi-B5_A4-...ler/ES1306825/

I am sure you can find this kit for cheaper elsewhere (Harbor Freight). It also saves on the cost of alignment. My mechanic uses this at his shop, or a similar tool. The ECS cost may be expensive, but not when you factor in time it saves on labor, cost of alignment, and the number of times our wheel bearings go bad. You can even recuperate money by doing other people's wheel bearings for like $20 a pop.
    I hate it when my car acts like a little bitch, treating me like the bitch

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

The bearing pullers are a joke for this car. The bearings are in deep and tight (pervs). I did both my rears 2 weeks ago using a 12 ton press ($140 @ summit racing!) and there was so much tension on the bearings I had to use half a 50gal drum as a riot shield because I was afraid when it finally broke free it was going to do so in an explosive way. In all its an easy job but you do have to be creative to get them out because the upright is oddly shaped. I had it balanced on jack stands for the press out.

To be honest removing the ABS sensor was harder. Looking back I would have disconnected the cable instead of trying to extract the sensors from the upright. A $130 lesson learned.

Senior Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by Seerlah View Post
    http://www.ecstuning.com/Audi-B5_A4-...ler/ES1306825/

I am sure you can find this kit for cheaper elsewhere (Harbor Freight). It also saves on the cost of alignment. My mechanic uses this at his shop, or a similar tool. The ECS cost may be expensive, but not when you factor in time it saves on labor, cost of alignment, and the number of times our wheel bearings go bad. You can even recuperate money by doing other people's wheel bearings for like $20 a pop.
    I am willing to bet anything that the kit you linked above is in fact from harbor freight. My friend bought the ECS caliper compressor kit and when the got it the ECS sticker had practically fallen off. My next trip to harbor freight I saw an identical kit, in a red box too. A former employee confirmed that the majority of the "ECS" brand tools are harbor freight tools with an ECS sticker on them and are marked up beyond belief

Veteran Member Four Rings Seerlah's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    Items for Sale

The pullers aren't a joke. As I mentioned before, my mechanic uses a puller tool. I did not know this until I was not able to remove my camber bolt, and ended up bringing it in to him and he used his tool with no issue. Just saying. Maybe he has a better quality unit than others on the market, but it def worked.

Sensors can also be sought for cheap, if you have the PN. Just replaced my front one last week with a "used" OEM unit ($150+ brand new) I found from a VW for $25. ABS light is gone and all is good.
    I hate it when my car acts like a little bitch, treating me like the bitch

Senior Member Three Rings Urtorsen's Avatar
    AZ Member #

^^^ got that kit from harbour freight and its well worth the $$, just clean the area well and itll come out with a little coaxing,putting it in was easy with that tool. at least you'll have it for the other bearings and when you add up downtime,abs sensor replacement,and paying for a shop to press it youll be better off with it

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Ended up breaking in Poopie's press for him over the weekend (thanks again dude). With a press, getting that bearing replaced isn't too bad. I can see that not being a ton of fun without one though.
    1988 Mazda RX-7 GXL