Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Registered Member One Ring
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    08 A4 Avant, 08 BMW 128i

power steering problem - Loss of PS at idle, PS when engine RPM above idle.

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    Ok so I just purchased a used 08 B7 Avant, she's a beaut, it had 97000 kms on it when I bought it and it has 102000 kms on it now. I loaded up some buddies in it and packed all our snowboard gear and drove to Vermont (jay Peak) from Toronto this last weekend. Everything was great except on the way home we decided to stop in Montreal and grab some smoked meat. What I noticed was at the first set of lights we hit in the city, I had no power steering (ps) when the car was at idle but as soon as I gave it some gas I had full power steering. The downtown was packed so we immediately jumped back on the highway and drove to the nearest service centre. Once there I did an inspection. There was no noise coming from the power steering pump, the lines were connected good and there was no visible leaks either in the engine compartment or under the car. I checked the fluid level and it was exactly in the middle of where it should have been. I didn't check the colour of the fluid though. I then started the car back up and it had full power steering even at idle. We then drove the rest of the way home 500+ kms and the problem never returned. Has anyone ever had this problem before?

I have a theory about this and tell me if I am crazy. Just before we left the ski hill we were in a big empty parking lot that was covered in snow. We spent some time doing some low fat dough nuts in the parking lot. We held the RPMS steady between 4000 and 5000 rpms. My theory is that during the high rpms the power steering pump began cavitating and created some air bubbles in the system. And when I opened the reservoir I released the trapped air in the system. Is that even plausible or am I looking at some kind of faulty relay somewhere that is flaky?

Veteran Member Four Rings mr shickadance's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    tucson

donuts at full lock will ruin your power steering and make your pump go bad, you could have had bubbles but more likely is that your power steering pump is on the way out
    Scott

2011 S4

America is all about speed, hot, nasty, bad-ass speed - Eleanor Roosevelt

DIY: How to make yourself look like an idiot.

Veteran Member Four Rings Firefox250's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    06' A4 2.0T 6MT Quattro
    Items for Sale

Any updates? I had fun in a snow covered parking lot too, and I'm starting to think my pump is slowly dying.

Active Member One Ring
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2007 dolphin gray Audi S4

Ahhh. Bro, I had the same problem. I did a final doughnut on my car in an empty parking lot. It was a rough donut. Not some snow covered one unfortunatley. :( Even though I did a lot of those about a couple months before this happened. I heard some sort of a pop noise near where I now know my pump is, and my car lost power midway through or coming out of the donut. Then basically after starting it up, it was dead. :( I shut her down, and started her up a few times but nothing. When I give it enough gas above 1.5rpm's then I'll have a bit of power steering, and it seems to function fine, otherwise its heavy as heck to move. Anyway, I'll be replacing this coming up, but first wanted to check it for any issues such as gummed up or dirty filters or jammed up somewhere, and post a tutorial since no one seems to know where its located or how to replace one.

Any updates for you?

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    06' A4 2.0T 6MT Quattro
    Items for Sale

I ended up buy a new pump from the GAP and having my mechanic replace it and flush the system. A $600 lesson learned.
    Tuned by UNITEDMOTORSPORT
    Build page
    -Carl

Fitting status: "A fully built motor and stock turbo is like a nun getting a boob job, why bother no one is gonna know it." -Jsandor91

Active Member One Ring
    AZ Member #
    My Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Firefox250 View Post
    I ended up buy a new pump from the GAP and having my mechanic replace it and flush the system. A $600 lesson learned.

Oh man that sucks. Was it $600 just for the mechanic to replace n flush or complete including pump?

I still gotta do mine. :/ gonna DIY. Just can't find a DIY on replacing this pump. I'm gonna have to make one as I go along.
    You ever see a DIY on this ???? Would save considerable time.

The one gripe is that it's the sport model... You think it would be Abel to take a beating and some donuts.

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    06' A4 2.0T 6MT Quattro
    Items for Sale

$300 for the pump and $300 for the install and flush. I couldn't find DIY so I gave in and had my mechanic do it.

So you have the S-line? I'm pretty sure most, if not all models share this same pump. Our cars are just not ment to be beaten on unless you have deep pockets.
    Build page
    -Carl

Fitting status: "A fully built motor and stock turbo is like a nun getting a boob job, why bother no one is gonna know it." -Jsandor91

Senior Member Four Rings slvrb7's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2015 S3 Launch Edition, 2014 4-Runner, 1997 A4 1.8t 5 spd
    Items for Sale

Just don't hold the wheel all the way locked and you'll be fine it says don't lock it for more then 5 secs
    Kris
    Audi Club of Orange County
    South OC ACNA regional director

Active Member One Ring
    AZ Member #
    My Garage

$300 for the pump and $300 for the install and flush. I couldn't find DIY so I gave in and had my mechanic do it.

So you have the S-line? I'm pretty sure most, if not all models share this same pump. Our cars are just not ment to be beaten on unless you have deep pockets.

Ouch. :/ mines a 2007 Audi S4. Dolphin gray. About 50k on it now. It's just been sitting since I got married in May. :/ miss driving it. Putting it up for sale as soon as I change te pump though. Just had a friend repaint it because it had a paint paint job from an accident in the quarter.

I was actually alway amazed how well my old 96' A4 2.8 V6 put up a fight. I overheated that thing to insane temperatures when the water pump went. I drove it home on a very broken/loose water pump for 2 hours. Stopped once to cool down. Lol. I was ready to take it to the junk yard if it don't survive. But it did! I changed the pump, an oil, drove it to Florida from NY. And still sold it for more than I bought it for.

I guess the ones nowadays can't take that kinda beating?

Active Member One Ring
    AZ Member #
    My Garage

Quote Originally Posted by slvrb7 View Post
    Just don't hold the wheel all the way locked and you'll be fine it says don't lock it for more then 5 secs

Why is that? Does it suck out all the fluid in fully open position or something?

What do you guys think though, if you look at power steering pumps on rockauto.com they have some very cheap remanufactured pumps. Worth a shot??

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    06' A4 2.0T 6MT Quattro
    Items for Sale

Wait you have a B7 S4? Nobody in the S4 forums could help you?

You are taking a chance with any remanufactured part, but personally I've have learned with parts like this, is to buy nice or pay twice. However you said you were selling the S4.
    Last edited by Firefox250; 11-02-2012 at 07:05 AM.
    Build page
    -Carl

Established Member Two Rings schowe's Avatar
    AZ Member #

I notice that when I am parking that I can't turn the wheel more than one lock each in each direction, unless I rev the engine, at which point I can turn the wheel further (more than one complete rotation). I assume this is normal but it is something that I haven't experienced on any other vehicle I've driven. Thoughts?
    2006 Arctic White A4 2.0T 6MTQ S-Line

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    06' A4 2.0T 6MT Quattro
    Items for Sale

^^ time to change your steering pump. What you just explained is what all of here on this thread have experienced. Did you buy the car with this issue or did you do some donuts too?
    Build page
    -Carl

Active Member One Ring
    AZ Member #
    My Garage

Wait you have a B7 S4? Nobody in the S4 forums could help you?

You are taking a chance with any remanufactured part, but personally I've have learned with parts like this, is to buy nice or pay twice. However you said you were selling the S4.

I couldn't find a similar issue after searching so many forums. But then again I'm new. Lol

AZ Member #

^^ time to change your steering pump. What you just explained is what all of here on this thread have experienced. Did you buy the car with this issue or did you do some donuts too?
    Nope I bought the car this way. Honestly it isn't something that bothers me, I just thought it was strange when parrallel parking the car. The pump makes no noise, drives fine, feels good and precise. I can't see a reason for changing it out unless it was giving serious driveability issues or was leaking. How does the pump fail from turing the wheel too far?

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    06' A4 2.0T 6MT Quattro
    Items for Sale

Quote Originally Posted by schowe View Post
    Nope I bought the car this way. Honestly it isn't something that bothers me, I just thought it was strange when parrallel parking the car. The pump makes no noise, drives fine, feels good and precise. I can't see a reason for changing it out unless it was giving serious driveability issues or was leaking. How does the pump fail from turing the wheel too far?
    How long have you been driving your car this way? I can only assume that you will lose all power steering after awhile, and it's worth replacing now before the problem spreads. I think the pump just gets to hot from having the steering wheel locked all the way to the right or left during a donut.
    Build page
    -Carl

AZ Member #

How long have you been driving your car this way? I can only assume that you will lose all power steering after awhile, and it's worth replacing now before the problem spreads. I think the pump just gets to hot from having the steering wheel locked all the way to the right or left during a donut.
    It's been like this since I bought the car in May. The previous owner was a 35 year old female, so I highly doubt she was out doing donuts in the car. If it worsens, I will obviously get it taken care of. Just had the car in the dealership last week for a recall and I would have thought they would have noticed it if there was an issue too (or if the fluid level was low).

I just checked and you can hear the pump whining a little bit when turning the wheel when parked, but I definitely still have power steering, even at low speeds. Just something I'll have to keep an eye on and make note if it worsens. I've driven a car with manual steering before (pulley on the pump seized) and its not that bad, only hard thing is parking really. It has an awesome feel on the highway or while cornering, but it isn't healthy for the steering rack.