Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Established Member Two Rings Bobbyru's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2011 S4, 1988 Porsche Carrera, 2001 A4, 2011 A4, 1974 TVR 2500M
    Items for Sale

WD-40 Cleaned my Aluminum trim like new

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    I have a silver 2004 S4 Avant with Aluminum roof rails that were milky and spotted looking.
    Tried everything to clean it.
    Can't remember who previously posted this information but well worth repeating....WD-40 made it look like brand new!
    Thank you Audizine forum members...great exchange of information.
    BTW, if anyone is interested I'm cleaning it up and selling this car starting next week.
    Just bought a new Ibis White 2011 S4.

Established Member Two Rings Merlin00069's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by Bobbyru View Post
    I have a silver 2004 S4 Avant with Aluminum roof rails that were milky and spotted looking.
    Can't remember who previously posted this information but well worth repeating....WD-40 made it look like brand new!
    BTW, if anyone is interested I'm cleaning it up and selling this car starting next week.
    Pics please. I'd like to try also.

Senior Member Three Rings poop_on_jdm's Avatar
    AZ Member #

WD-40 does wonders on so much especially when it comes to cleaning. I use it at my work to clean up stainless steel and it shines it up real nice

Account Terminated Four Rings
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2009 B8 Aruba Blue (discontiuned) 2.0T

would WD-40 work on exhaust tips also?

Established Member Two Rings Merlin00069's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Just did this. Worked exceptionally well. Lets see how long it lasts and how often i have to do it. Looks brand new. And yes it worked for my exhaust also.

Active Member Two Rings s_car_go's Avatar
    AZ Member #

I've used this on the exhaust tips and it worked great.

http://www.amazon.com/Eagle-One-1035.../dp/B000CNBI1A

Established Member Two Rings Sebap3's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    B7 S4

Quote Originally Posted by naemcivic View Post
    would WD-40 work on exhaust tips also?
    I use this http://www.amazon.com/BlueMagic-400-...1888261&sr=1-1 for exhaust tips and it works great. You only need a little to get the exhaust shining like new. I bought a can like 6 years ago and still have more than half left.
    2007 S4: SB/Black, 6 Speed, (2011 LED) Nav, DTM Trunk lip, TT-S Steering wheel, (RS4 shifter, brake handle, pedals), KW V3 coilovers, 034 Adj. Control arms, Hotchkis RS4 F/R sway bars, VMR 713 w/ Michelin PSS, RS4 Magnaflow, Piggies, 60% H.O. Ceramic tint, Carbon fiber valance, HID Fogs, Led: plate, interior, tail lights. E-Code head lights, LED city & DRLs, Deval CF Splitter, JHM tune, Apikol rear diff. mount, JHM SS, JHM LW F/R rotors with Stoptech pads.

Senior Member Two Rings JayNYS4's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by s_car_go View Post
    I've used this on the exhaust tips and it worked great.

http://www.amazon.com/Eagle-One-1035.../dp/B000CNBI1A
    I use the same. :)
    2006 B7 S4 Dolphin Gray
    2004 Infiniti G35 Coupe 6MT [SOLD]

Veteran Member Four Rings SquiddyB6S4's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    NA8 MX-5 aka ugly track slut

Petroleum jelly also works to shine many things Especially plastic parts. The petroleum distillates in these products help clean, and the oils in them help keep further corrosion/oxidation at bay.
    -Jason
    2004 B6S4 6MT - Apikol Snub Mount, Piggie Pipes, Magnaflow Cat-Back, JHM Tune with Launch Assist, Squid Rear LSD #01 20lb wheels + Michelin PSS
    2013 Veloster Turbo 6MT - Bone stock, DD Duty; annoying at times, but cheap and quick with extended warranty
    1996 Miata - Cheap and ugly, Hard Dog, huge fender flares, OE Torsen, Poly bushings, Redline greases and Mobil 1 oils everywhere - track slut
    LifeWithSquid

Veteran Member Three Rings feelgood156's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by SquiddyB6S4 View Post
    Petroleum jelly also works to shine many things Especially plastic parts. The petroleum distillates in these products help clean, and the oils in them help keep further corrosion/oxidation at bay.
    would it work on taking wax off plastic pieces?
    ibis white S4 avant | piggies | stasis catback | jhm tune | pss9s

Veteran Member Four Rings mbgt72's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2003 Jeep Wrangler

Anyone else tried this? Any pics of before or after. I'm at the point where I'm about to vinyl wrap my chrome trim b/c I'm sick and tired of how it looks.
    Current: 996TT
    Sold but not forgotten: 2005.5 S4 MT6 l JHM Parts: Stg 1 S/C, LTH, IM, SS Trio, LW Front Rotors, LWFW, Stg IV clutch, 4:1 Diff, Stern Motor Mounts, Snub/Trans/Diff Mounts, F.I.Exhaust l H&R C.O. 24.75" G-F, 034 Adj UCA's, H-Sport RS4 Rear Sway l Hawk HPS Pads, SS lines & SuperBlue l Fly'sV4 LEDs l 15% Tint, 50% Front l VMR V710 GM 19" & Enkie RPF01's l JL 10W7, Focal Components l V1 Mirror Display l

Veteran Member Four Rings dparm's Avatar
    AZ Member #

If the oxidation is heavy, WD40 won't work.
    now: 2011.5 BMW M3 sedan ZCP
    past: 2005 Audi S4 sedan, 2011 Audi S4 sedan

Registered Member Four Rings B6JoeS4's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    Terminator Cobra

Quote Originally Posted by feelgood156 View Post
    would it work on taking wax off plastic pieces?
    use peanut butter to remove wax of plastic. im not kidding it works. it's an 'ol detailers trick

Also, the OP said he cleaned his roof rails which are bare aluminum as far as i know. this wd-40 trick will NOT work on the window trim. this is because the window trim is clear-coated and the aluminum oxidizes under the clear coat. to remove the oxidation on the window trim, you must first strip/sand away that clear coat and then polish and re-clear it. or just leave it bare and polish as needed
    Last edited by B6JoeS4; 04-05-2011 at 09:43 PM.

Veteran Member Four Rings beemercer's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    '90 Cq - '13 R

Quote Originally Posted by B6JoeS4 View Post
    use peanut butter to remove wax of plastic. im not kidding it works. it's an 'ol detailers trick
    giving that a try soon, my window seals are all waxed up >:(!
    You represent the idiocy of today.

AZ Member #

What you're doing is using oil to remove oil. This is an old cosmetics trick.

Veteran Member Four Rings SquiddyB6S4's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    NA8 MX-5 aka ugly track slut

Okay, to correct what I'm 99% sure is misinformation of various sorts:

The aluminum trim on this car, and indeed many, many cars on the road, is not "clear coated". A clear coat typically implies a paint of some sort. The aluminum trim is anodized with a clear layer. This is why it lasts so well, this is why it's so hard to remove the finish and get to polishing, and this is why it looks like it does when it starts wearing out. The clear anodized layer is very hard, which makes it hard to remove. But the material underneath is thin, so going at it rough is necessary, but it takes a sharp eye to know when you've removed the anodized layer and have started removing aluminum. And the microcracks in the anodized layer are why it looks like it does when it starts looking bad. You may put some surface treatment on it, like an oil, to help fill the cracks, but the cracks are still going to be there. The only real, honest fixes are to replace the trim with new or used in good shape (very expensive), strip the anodized layer and reanodize (very expensive), strip the anodized layer, polish, and seal with something less permanent than anodizing (high-maintenance), or continue applying bandaids.

Now, maybe the band-aid method works for a long time, and that would be great, as I'm sure many of us have or will have this problem before long, but I'm just preparing you for the long term. Pretty much all shiny trim pieces these days are aluminum, not chrome, and are hard anodized clear, and not "clear coated" with some form of paint or sealant.
    -Jason
    2004 B6S4 6MT - Apikol Snub Mount, Piggie Pipes, Magnaflow Cat-Back, JHM Tune with Launch Assist, Squid Rear LSD #01 20lb wheels + Michelin PSS
    2013 Veloster Turbo 6MT - Bone stock, DD Duty; annoying at times, but cheap and quick with extended warranty
    1996 Miata - Cheap and ugly, Hard Dog, huge fender flares, OE Torsen, Poly bushings, Redline greases and Mobil 1 oils everywhere - track slut
    LifeWithSquid

AZ Member #

Probably easier to just remove the clear anodizing and let it be bare metal. It would require some regular maintenance (polishing), however, or it will tarnish.

Established Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

WD40 and fine grit wet and dry sandpaper. I used to polish my motocross exhaust with it and it came up like a mirror.

Use gloves though, that black residue crap stains, especially your nails

Established Member Two Rings Moisesa4's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2006 VW Touareg v6

sweet

Established Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    S4, TR6, J10, X5

Quote Originally Posted by Bobbyru View Post
    funny, the day before you posted this I was washing my avant and commented to myself about the hard water stains on the anodized trim and rails.
    and I remembered that wd40 thread you make mention of. I remember it because the guy was kind of abrasive in his 'I know best' sort of tone about it. but he did.

After reading your post I went out and hit it with a rag and some wd40... and viola... like brand new. no elbow-grease... just wipe it down.
    If you don't have it all ready, go buy a $4 can of WD40 and try it for yourself. yeah, you'll probably have to go over it every month, but who cares it take literally 45 second to go over all the trim. It even cleaned up my side mirror caps.