Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Registered Member One Ring
    AZ Member #

Won't start, starts, won't start.

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    Okay. The other day I start to head to work and the car won't start (kinda sputters and tries to start but won't stay running). I took the truck and when I got home tried to start it again. It did the same thing but I lightly pumped the pedal like it was a carb'd motor and got it to run. I had to keep the motor at 2K+ rpm otherwise it would do the sputter and die thing again. After holding it there for about a minute I slowly let the rpms drift down to normal and it idled out at about 850rpm (normally about 950rpm). I took it around the block and it ran fine. I got back and shut it off and then restarted it and it fired right up. This morning I went to start it and it won't start again. Same symptoms. It kicks over well and doesn't show a CEL. The car was running fine when I parked it initially and then the starting issue just showed up. Any ideas? The gas gauge says 3/8 of a tank but I've heard there were some issues with gas gauge accuracy with some of the audis so I'm going to get some gas and see if that is the problem.
    2002 Audi A6 Quattro 2.7T Tiptronic

Senior Member Three Rings
    AZ Member #

I do not know what it specifically would be called, but on my car I replaced the Engine Speed Sensor when I had symptoms exactly like yours. The problem I believe is these sensors go out intermittently for some time before they crap out completely. What makes it more difficult is the code shows up and gets erased when your car doesn't start/starts.

Established Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

I would start with changing your coolant temp sensor, they are only $12-15 and easy to change.
    could be this sensor, or could be the crank sensor but usually the car stalls and won't run when it gets warm. also could just be bad gas, best to check and pull some codes.

AZ Member #

Well I got it start again. Still no CEL. I've unhooked the MAF to see if it would run in limp mode but there wasn't any change. I don't see how it could be bad gas since I've put over 200 miles on this tank. I wish I could pull any codes that might not cause a CEL but no VAGCOM here. I'll see if any of the local stores have a coolant temp sensor.

Stage 3 Forum Advertiser Four Rings ECS Tuning-Audi's Avatar
    AZ Member #

I'm going to have to second the engine speed sensor aka crank position sensor.

Ive seen this happen quite a few times and its ended up being the culprit.

We have replacements available for the 2.7T, 2.8 and 3.0 models

Let me know if you have any questions.

Jason

Veteran Member Four Rings A6Avant's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    T4 Eurovan 2.5L 5spd (Currently under construction). MKII Jetta (GLI in the making :)

I third the above comments regarding the crank piston sensor...

HOWEVER.... The last time I had thins happen it actually turned out to be my cat fell apart internally and a piece became wedge and did not allow proper flow.... no cell but that was the issue. Gently tap on your cats and see if there is any movement...

AZ Member #

Well I replaced the coolant sensor and the car started up just fine but since it was still warm from when I got it running again this evening I'll hold off on saying it's fixed until tomorrow morning. Hopefully that's it so I don't have to spring for the crank position sensor. If I do I'll definitely be taking a look at the ECS stuff.

Senior Member Two Rings SpooldYou's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2005 s4 IMOLA 01 a6 2.7T (daily) Vespa Scooter w/ Jet Engine. (1.9 FATS)

If you have access to VAG COM or similar unit. Check the on board computer diagnostics. It'll give you a real time reading of what your cars doing. Mainly it'll tell you your outgoing coolant temp and voltage. and Crank position sensor voltage too. Cross check with Bentley manuals to ensure everything is ok.

AZ Member #

Coolant temperature sensor was the problem. Car started up great this morning. Thanks for all the replies.

AZ Member #

I have similar problem: when car is cold it starts right away; and when its warm (after a short trip) i have to crank for 2-3 times before its starts. Once its starts it works fine, I drove over 3k miles with this problem, but it gets annoying. And there are no CEL.
    it is 97 A6 2.8 v12

AZ Member #

Audi A4 2.8L Quatro; Splutters but won't Start, won't Run

Quote Originally Posted by jschick View Post
    I would start with changing your coolant temp sensor, they are only $12-15 and easy to change.
    could be this sensor, or could be the crank sensor but usually the car stalls and won't run when it gets warm. also could just be bad gas, best to check and pull some codes.

YES!!!
    Coolant Temperature Sensor - was the reason! Changed out (not easy to see or access) but relatively simple to do. Engine started and ran perfectly.

Tips:
    -You need to remove the Air Supply lines to ACCESS the area between the Block and Firewall (passener side, below a cylindrical canister relay).
    -Tie a thread to the horseshoe shaped spring clip that holds the sensor in the housing, before attempting to reinstall (took 45 minutes to find it when dropped).
    -You can TEST before totally removing old sensor, by connecting the electrical connecter on the new sensor and starting engine. Engine will Start but only run for about 5-10 seconds then will stall. However after reconnecting all Air Supply lines engine should run continuously.

Thanks Very much for the solution! $32 Cdn was a cheap repair :)