Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Established Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Symptoms of bad motor mounts

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    Specifically, what are the symptoms of either bad motor or tranny mounts? How much vibration could bad mounts cause? What is the life span of the stock ones and how quickly can they go downhill when they go bad?

Thanks for the info
    2002 A4 1.8t Tiptronic
    APR stage 1+, forge hybrid dv, TT 225 injectors, NGK copper plugs, pro dry filter, test pipe, borla cat back, 35-20% tint

Senior Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

I second these questions as well

Veteran Member Four Rings a4darkness's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    Items for Sale

Just did a write up on this. Essentially, they probably need to be swapped and certainly if they're leaking.

http://www.audizine.com/forum/showth...=1#post6287352

EDIT: Review is a few posts down from this ^^ which should adequately explain most of the differences.

Veteran Member Four Rings texasboy21's Avatar
    AZ Member #

if you let off the gas and the shifter knocks around then you probably need to replace your mounts
    2003 A4 1.8TQ
    APR stg2+, MTM 420cc injectors, EuroCode FMIC, PSi testpipe, Techtonics Tuning downpipe, Forge TIP, Hyperboost DV, 240mm clutch, LWFW flywheel, B5S4 calipers, Goodridge SS lines, Stern snub, motor and transmission mounts, JHM SS shifter, solid linkage, stabilizer bushing and weighted knob, Vogtland Jr. Cup Kit, B7 RS4 front and rear sway bars.

Senior Member Three Rings Rirruto's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    03 A4 Avant

Quote Originally Posted by dmansr25sd View Post
    Specifically, what are the symptoms of either bad motor or tranny mounts? How much vibration could bad mounts cause? What is the life span of the stock ones and how quickly can they go downhill when they go bad?
    Does your car give you a nice massage at idle? If so, you might need motor mounts.

Quote Originally Posted by texasboy21 View Post
    if you let off the gas and the shifter knocks around then you probably need to replace your mounts
    This too.

Have you visually checked all of your mounts?
    -Bryan

05 DG S4 - Lots of JHM goodies.
    03 A4 Avant

AZ Member #
    Items for Sale

If your B6 has anywhere near 70k, swap em. Done.

AZ Member #
    Items for Sale

I think my engine mounts are shot. Car has 66k 05 1.8. Should u be able to move engine around with yur hands? I can hold onto engine and move engine a little. I don't think it should be that easy to move?

Veteran Member Four Rings texasboy21's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by juttin3 View Post
    I think my engine mounts are shot. Car has 66k 05 1.8. Should u be able to move engine around with yur hands? I can hold onto engine and move engine a little. I don't think it should be that easy to move?
    R U cereal?
    2003 A4 1.8TQ
    APR stg2+, MTM 420cc injectors, EuroCode FMIC, PSi testpipe, Techtonics Tuning downpipe, Forge TIP, Hyperboost DV, 240mm clutch, LWFW flywheel, B5S4 calipers, Goodridge SS lines, Stern snub, motor and transmission mounts, JHM SS shifter, solid linkage, stabilizer bushing and weighted knob, Vogtland Jr. Cup Kit, B7 RS4 front and rear sway bars.

AZ Member #
    Items for Sale

Yes I'm cereal. Maybe I should post vid.

AZ Member #
    Items for Sale

Smart ass comments as aside, I think that would be an excellent idea. Please do. I'm all on this motor mounts kick. Everyone run out and change them now!
    Last edited by a4darkness; 03-25-2011 at 02:31 PM.

Senior Member Three Rings 1.8Turbo4me!'s Avatar
    AZ Member #

thomas,

unless i missed it, but why a b5 s4 motor mount than a b6 a4?

AZ Member #
    Items for Sale

For the most part it was cost. There's absolutely zero reason why the B5 S4 MM's can't be used in a B6 A4 and the standard mounts for our cars usually run $80 - $150 each. No muy bueno bitches. Shop smart, shop s-mart.

Secondly, and only b/c I had no means to confirm it, my assumption is that the MM for a 6cyl Audi engine would be slightly more robust than a 1.8T. Makes sense, right? So, that was also a factor of consideration.
    Now I have no hard evidence to back this theory and have read in buried threads here on AZ saying that there is both no difference and that they're 30-40% stiffer. So, we'll call that one a draw. Still no proof.

But if there's one thing I've learned about these cars over the years, it's that Audi engineers do make subtitle tweaks here and there between models and their parts so who knows? Maybe there is some validity to it.

Now that's all niftybeans and whatnot, but the bottom line is that for ~$100, the driving characteristics of my car have been vastly altered for the better. So whatever MM option you choose (standard B6 A4, B5 S4, B5 RS4, or even aftermarket) it'll be a positive difference.