So I just got my 08 A4 2.0TQ and instantly transferred over my Thule rack from my old car. The bars fit no problem, but unfortunately I had the 38inch fairing, but need the 44inch to fit the A4. Recalling my experience with the older style fairing SEEN HERE I decided I wanted to switch back to the older design, as the new one was noisier and had increased drag. Cruising craigslist I came to the realization that no one is selling their old-style fairings...screwed? NO. I decided I would make my own. I also want the fairing bottom to land either just above the windshield, or just barely overlap onto the windshield. Anyone with the new Thule system on a B6-B7 knows the factory guide holes prevent this from being possible (stock that is), as the fairings fall short about 2-3 inches - causing some extra wind noise and discontinuity in overall appearance. So a DIY fairing with custom brackets is the way to go!
I have found a few sites with generic detail on instructions, so I thought why not start one (still fairly generic to make/model) but with a little more detail. Here's what I'm working with to start - will post pictures later tonight as I start the process. (Don't start with CC's/fishbowl/etc) - I just got her.
Ok so this what is getting the axe:
AND this is what I went out and bought from Home Depot - everything cost roughly $30 total
Large sheet of Optix acrylic (24 x 48 x .09)
Acrylic etching knife
Rustoleum Professional Black
Multipurpose Sandpaper pack
assorted nuts and bolts
Aluminum track rail (48in)
Close up the hardware:
Bolts for mounting the fairing to the brackets (note the square press shoulder and smooth head) as well as a bunch of wing nuts for easy installation/removal:
I cut the acrylic using the etching knife to the general dimensions I wanted (numerous light scores make cutting the acrylic easier and cleaner)
I used a template I found from a posting over on the VWVortex forums (big thanks to FlatLanderSJ):
Printed the template at full scale, and taped it down to the protective film that comes with the acrylic. I used a Dremel to cut out the curved portions of the fairing, as the etching knife is only good for straight cuts.
It took some measuring and tweaking to get the shape and fit I wanted - I was looking to extend the fairing to overlap the towers and land on the top of the windshield (so less worries of paint damage)
Sorry but I forgot to take a picture of the cutout before I started painting, but here it is after two coats. I ended up spraying only the marked-up side of the acrylic, as
it left an awesome gloss look on the unpainted side.
Once this was done, I could use the finished fairing to determine bracket dimensions and shapes:
VOILA! I may end up redoing the brackets with heavier gauge aluminum and slots, but for the time being I couldn't be happier with the outcome:
I know this isn't a true DIY posting, and a lot of steps were left out - but I'll help if anyone wants to try this out as well.