Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Veteran Member Four Rings ENDEE666's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    A6 2.7T 6MT Modded. Allroad 2.7T 6MT.

Throttle Actuator Error Code

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    So last night around 9pm I washed my car and also hosed off under the hood since I hadn't cleaned that in a long time. Purposely last night, so engine would dry for 11 hours before I had to use the car at 8am this morning. No harsh chemicals, just that weak foamy stuff. I only sprayed that on the valve covers and intake manifold. Then I hosed it off with VERY little pressure. I had the nozzle on 'shower' mode with the valve barely open. Seriously less pressure than a bathroom shower.

Now this morning, I start the car and it idles very rough and gives me the 3 beeps to let me know its not happy. The ABS, ESP and EPC lights are on. I VAG'ed it and got-

17966 - Throttle Actuator (G186): Electrical Malfunction
    P1558 - 35-00 - -

I then checked all connections I could see in the TB area, even removed & reconnected a few. What cables or connectors should I be looking at? Or is something wrong with the TB itself?
    01 A6 2.7T, blk/blk, 6MT, SSP Tuned!, 3,996 lbs w/ me, full weight, street tires, 29+lb wheels.
    Ran an 11.8 @ 119 at MIR - Sept 2008. FIRST A6 IN THE 11's!
    Also 01 Allroad 6MT Atlas.

Veteran Member Three Rings
    AZ Member #

Did u try and reset the ecu..... Mybe it would help.....
    c5 A6 tip
    this n that

AZ Member #
    My Garage

I cleared the codes several times and checked the plugs & harnesses I could see near the TB. Still broken.
    01 A6 2.7T, blk/blk, 6MT, SSP Tuned!, 3,996 lbs w/ me, full weight, street tires, 29+lb wheels.

Veteran Member Three Rings jballou's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2007 Honda Fit

Unplug the plug near the TB and dry it out. Reset the ECU--there you go..
    2000 Audi S4 Stage 3,000 Million +
    Some crap just thrown together....

YouTube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/jsballou

www.tvme.info

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Unplugged it and shook it & blew on it. Didn't help. Gonna bring home some compressed air to really get in everything. Hopefully that does it..

Registered Member Three Rings panix73's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    Battleship Kruzer

Quote Originally Posted by ENDEE666 View Post
    Unplugged it and shook it & blew on it. Didn't help. Gonna bring home some compressed air to really get in everything. Hopefully that does it..
    Hey Nick,

Sounds like your throttle body might be on its way out, via the actuator. Might be a short to a ground on that lead but as the code is for intermittent connection it might just be the actuator on its way out..
    Try a Throttle Body Adaptation and see what happens. Check a few blocks to make sure you can read TPS as well.

http://wiki.ross-tech.com/wiki/index...ment_%28TBA%29

Good luck.
    -Vin
    Innovate.

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Thx Vin, gonna try adaptation just in case..

The latest is, I am back home now. I started it up and still got lights & codes. I unplugged the plug at the top of the TB and sprayed it with air. Plugged it back in, cleared the codes and it seemed ok. Then after revving a few times the lights came back, along with the issue & codes. Now the code reads-

17579 - Angle Sensor 2 for Throttle Actuator (G188) Implausible Signal
    P1171 - 35-00 - -

So I cleaned off the plug again, and it went back away. Revved it and it came back. This happened a few times so far, and seems to come back if I rev it. To make it go away, I have to clear them and restart the car a few times. But why is it a different code now??

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Vin, you might be the man! I totally forgot about TB adaptation. I did that and all seems well. I also let it run a while, so the heat may have dried it out the rest of the way, and I did get some water out when I sprayed it with air. So its hard to say what definitely did it, But for a good few minutes of running & revving I got no lights and all seems good so far.

Thanks Vin and everyone else too!

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    Battleship Kruzer

Vin, you might be the man! I totally forgot about TB adaptation. I did that and all seems well. I also let it run a while, so the heat may have dried it out the rest of the way, and I did get some water out when I sprayed it with air. So its hard to say what definitely did it, But for a good few minutes of running & revving I got no lights and all seems good so far.

;) glad to hear.
    Innovate.

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    Battleship Kruzer

;) glad to hear.
    Innovate.