Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Veteran Member Four Rings morris400's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 1994 Audi S4

Car is jerking back and forth.

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    when driving normally (ie no boost) i notice that the car is jerking back and forth when i get on the gas and step off the gas. same feeling only worse when boosting. the jerking is very noticalbe to the point where i dont want to drive the S. i know that i have bad control arms with seized tierods and front axles that are going on 2+ years with the boots cut open. i have bad vibrations in the steering wheel, driver side clunks when going over bumps and the alighment is off as the car pulls to the right and the front end has a wobble to it as well. i did some searching tonight and found a few threads which mentioned the engine mounts tranny mounts and rear diff mount as possable suspects but i wanted to get thoughts from the B5 S4 crowd. could the jerking be caused by any of the problems im having now with axles ,control arms and tie rods or would the drive train mounts be the likley suspect? i have 034 track density engine mounts and tranny mounts and the diff mount is stock. on a side note im having new control arms (fcp) and axles (fcp) as well as new tie rods (fcp) installed on the up coming friday.

Thank you ,

Kenny
    IF YOU WONT STAND BEHIND OUR TROOPS....TRY STANDING IN FRONT OF THEM!
    1994 Audi S4 20V Turbo - Current DD
    2001 Audi S4 - Gone but never forgotten

Veteran Member Four Rings Mantis's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Sounds like you have a throttle body boost leak

check your PM, you should add FMIC to the list of things to do the week
    I don't think I care anymore

Senior Member Three Rings JWatson's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2001.5 S4 ,1947 Mercury Coupe

Second on the boost leak.
    01.5 S4 (on meth)

AZ Member #
    My Garage

I will have a boost leak test done as well on Friday when the other parts get installed.

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Not an expert by any means but try to swap your MAF unit as well with someone with a working MAF. My car would jerk or stutter all of sudden (on or off boost). After replacing MAF, problem was gone.

Veteran Member Three Rings VR6Bomber's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    '12 ABARTH - 90TQ aan'd 3071'd

Un-metered air getting in, pressure test your intake tract.

AZ Member #
    My Garage

the car will only jerk during shifting. when i take my foot off the gas the car will jerk forward when i push the gas it will jerk backwards. when i start to go from a stop its the same thing. the car was not jerk when im crusing or driving at a steady pace. only when i have to take my foot on or off the gas. still boost leak?

Senior Member Three Rings
    AZ Member #

AH, that forward and backward 'jerking' as you describe it, is called lateral acceleration and deceleration. It happens when you play with the go-fast pedal.

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Quote Originally Posted by TipTucker01 View Post
    AH, that forward and backward 'jerking' as you describe it, is called lateral acceleration and deceleration. It happens when you play with the go-fast pedal.
    that i know but of late there has been alot more slop during acceleration and deceleration.

Senior Member Two Rings Cobra Commander's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    D3 S8- Daytona Gray

Might it have something to do with your engine/tranny mounts? I have the same jerky and plan on tackling my mounts first...from past experience putting in firmer/newer mounts can reduce/eliminate such play...of course your other issues don't help either.
    2001.5 B5 S4-Silver |Vogtlands|PODI|Dice|
    2007 D3 S8- Daytona Gray

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2000 audi s4

to me it sounds like drive-train slop like rear diff if it doesn't happen under boost. Thats what I think anyway. hold your hand on the shifter does it move around a lot when u decel and accel no boost just light throttle. Could be one of your mounts are loose?
    Moo
    Come join us in Audizine chat
    http://www.gamesurge.net/chat
    then type /join #audizine

Stage 3 Forum Advertiser Four Rings ECS Tuning-Audi's Avatar
    AZ Member #

When you say "jerking", do you mean more of surging, or of a clunk back and forth? The vibration could be a combination of things if the parts you listed are worn that badly. I had wheel shake and some bad vibrations while driving before I replaced my control arms and tie rods on my B5. Track density engine mounts will also cause vibration since they are stiffer then OEM. That being said, you'll be able to rule out some things next Friday.

AZ Member #
    My Garage

The added vibrations from my motor mounts and trans mounts does add vibrations but I have not really noticed it with the added vibrations from not running a exhaust from the cats back. To be if feels like a loose or broken trans mount. The shifter knob does move around a bit when I accel and decel but I assumed it was cause my trans is messed. Real rough 1 2 shift I get the jerk back and forth even by just taping the gas pedal but yes I guess I will be able to eliminate some things on Friday when I get the other parts installed.

AZ Member #
    My Garage

just got the car back tonight. had my new Axles ,tie rods and control arms all from FCP installed this weekend,also had my oil changed and my headlight washers disabled. car is much smoother BUT i still have a bad wobble in the steering wheel. i hope a wheel balance and alighment will fix it. also found the the jerking is caused by my pasenger side trans mount (034 track density), the front bolt is missing and fell off.